The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   AK-47s (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Whatís up with everyones excitement about Maadi? (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325743)

Clown 11-10-2017 12:31 PM

Whatís up with everyones excitement about Maadi?

So, I donít know shit about the Egyptian AK imports that are in America. BUT in Iraq, theyíre considered crappier than the Zastava and the chinese. There is literally almost none of them here, those that exist are shitty as hell, nobody takes care of them since there is zero value in them. Whatís up with that? You all seem excited as hell about them.

The few Zastavas that are here, I can understand people donít want. Because the ones Iíve seen have no parts interchangability, and have to be scrapped when shit breaks.

Czysz 11-10-2017 12:36 PM

I saw an example the other day at the range and it was a dog, everything was crooked. Just another quality MISR Maadi.

Craigan 11-10-2017 12:41 PM

MAADIs get their respect because they're built on actual Soviet machinery to Soviet AKM spec. They were, for the longest time, the 'closest thing' to a soviet AKM that was available in the US.

Any AK that lives in a harsh environment and is not well-cared for (which middle eastern nations seem to do poorly) will have trouble and/or look like shit. The AK's reputation as indestructible may also contribute to users neglect.

MISRs are a different story entirely, if I recall correctly. Were those the jumbled builds specific for the US AWB market?

Clown 11-10-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigan (Post 4319984)
MAADIs get their respect because they're built on actual Soviet machinery to Soviet AKM spec. They were, for the longest time, the 'closest thing' to a soviet AKM that was available in the US.

Any AK that lives in a harsh environment and is not well-cared for (which middle eastern nations seem to do poorly) will have trouble and/or look like shit. The AK's reputation as indestructible may also contribute to users neglect.

MISRs are a different story entirely, if I recall correctly. Were those the jumbled builds specific for the US AWB market?

The Egyptian AK’s aren’t well cared for here because they have a reputation as horrible shit tho, so I’m wondering what the basis for that rep is.

I can also mention that Russian and Polish AK’s are very well taken care of here and considered quality craftmanship

Craigan 11-10-2017 01:12 PM

I found Arab tribalism to be rampant, with them being inherently suspicious of other Arabs. It could be as simple a thing as Egypt signing a treaty with Israel as well. You've got the whole Sunni/Shiite thing too.

The Bagdhadians weren't cool with the Ramadis, the Fallujians weren't cordial with the Jordanians, and none of them liked the Kurds.

Machak_Silver 11-10-2017 01:21 PM

I've seen tons of Egyptian AKs in Iraq. They had the most horrible finish I've ever seen.
Every other gun looked like it was dragged behind the truck on the gravel road for a few months.

nalioth 11-10-2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigan (Post 4320030)
The Bagdhadians weren't cool with the Ramadis, the Fallujians weren't cordial with the Jordanians, and none of them liked the Kurds.

This video is mislabeled. This is "Merry Minuet" by the Kingston Trio

Thunderhorse 11-10-2017 01:53 PM

My Egyptian kit build has never missed a beat; but it is rougher than my East German and Bulgarians.

rurallife 11-10-2017 01:55 PM

Here's a stupid question (it has to do with the oft repeated Maadi machinery made by Russia/staff trained by Russians)

Who made Romanian/Polish/Bulgarian/EG AK manufacturing equipment - in the beginning?

Nevermind the Yugo stuff, Tito ran his own shitshow obviously.

Ram Rod 11-10-2017 02:31 PM

No excitement here

csphar54r 11-10-2017 02:47 PM

Some folks in America enjoy collecting foreign built imports from different parts of the world. Maadis are interesting so why not?

David Teague 11-10-2017 02:49 PM

They are shitty.

The US importer back in the early 1980s hyped them up with marketing:

"Built on USSR equipment, by USSR trained gunsmiths to USSR milspec! As close to the Soviet ANY we as Americans can ever buy!"

People took that as gospel and older gun guys remember it as fact.

It's bullshit.

They are poor examples of the AKM and I even have one built up from a military parts kit in the gun safe.

Mel64D 11-10-2017 03:00 PM

I had five (5) of them I built from kits a few years ago.....I only have one (1) left now.

They were/are some of the crappiest parts kits I have ever seen.

rudyod 11-10-2017 03:12 PM

Egyptian Maadi's are known to be upwards of 3 times more accurate than the next best AK and are constructed of a space-age alloy that is virtually indestructible. Egyptians chose to use an unappealing finish to deter enemies from picking up rifles discarded on the field of battle and, thus, learning the secrets of their superiority. That choice was wildly successful as, to date, no other AK manufacturers have come even remotely close to duplicating the superior workmanship and functionality of the mighty Egyptian Maadi.

Mel64D 11-10-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyod (Post 4320187)
Egyptian Maadi's are known to be upwards of 3 times more accurate than the next best AK and are constructed of a space-age alloy that is virtually indestructible. Egyptians chose to use an unappealing finish to deter enemies from picking up rifles discarded on the field of battle and, thus, learning the secrets of their superiority. That choice was wildly successful as, to date, no other AK manufacturers have come even remotely close to duplicating the superior workmanship and functionality of the mighty Egyptian Maadi.

http://www.f-covers.com/cover/are-yo...ner-for-fb.jpg
lol

Unit28 11-10-2017 03:23 PM

Besides E.G. Kits who buys AKs for the finish???

Craigan 11-10-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unit28 (Post 4320203)
Besides E.G. Kits who buys AKs for the finish???

Chinese guns have great bluing. I consider it more of a perk, though.

rurallife 11-10-2017 03:37 PM

Maadi fans are being strangely quiet.....

CrusherDestroyer 11-10-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurallife (Post 4320089)
Here's a stupid question (it has to do with the oft repeated Maadi machinery made by Russia/staff trained by Russians)

Who made Romanian/Polish/Bulgarian/EG AK manufacturing equipment - in the beginning?

It's... the Soviets! Right? Did I win?

It really says something when a gunsmith in Pakistani mudhut with pedal power tools makes better stuff than Egypt.

chknfkr 11-10-2017 03:43 PM

Bottom of the barrel, right next to yugos and chinese AKs.

Czysz 11-10-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chknfkr (Post 4320230)

I concur honeslty they are probably worse than the yugos or chinese.

Scott7891 11-10-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rurallife (Post 4320217)
Maadi fans are being strangely quiet.....

Well I am one after buying one.

Mine has been straight and true.

Never a jam and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I trust their quality over the shitshow of U.S. builds that we have been "blessed" with lately. :laugh_sma On the rankings of worldwide AK producing countries I would rate them in the middle to low rankings, certainly better than the stuff that came out of Albania, Ethiopia and Nigeria (yes they are making AK's too now).

Yea, their finish is rough and not as durable compared to AK's but I didn't buy it to be a fancy showpiece. I bought my AK to be an AK. Does it shoot? Is it durable? That is all I care about and it does those things well.

Like others said, closest thing to a true factory AKM import that we could get. WASR's lack the dimples and use single-stack bolts, Arsenal's are modernized and different, PAP's are their own thing as are the Chinese, Saiga's are based on the AK-100 series, the few Hungarian AKM's we got are different from the fact they use AK-47-type furniture, a funky pistol grip, and an AK-47 type gas tube with blonde furniture. The SAR-1 is probably the only other AK that comes close to being a true factory AKM but again uses a different type of furniture than laminated that the Soviets used that the Egyptians did.

So if you want a factory, Russian-looking AKM then the Maadi is the only game in town we could get.

rurallife 11-10-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrusherDestroyer (Post 4320220)
It's... the Soviets! Right? Did I win?

It really says something when a gunsmith in Pakistani mudhut with pedal power tools makes better stuff than Egypt.

Ok ok, your choice, seegar or double shot of single barrel ....

Bourbon thahht is

Clown 11-10-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott7891 (Post 4320266)
Well I am one after buying one.

Mine has been straight and true.

Never a jam and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I trust their quality over the shitshow of U.S. builds that we have been "blessed" with lately. :laugh_sma On the rankings of worldwide AK producing countries I would rate them in the middle to low rankings, certainly better than the stuff that came out of Albania, Ethiopia and Nigeria (yes they are making AK's too now).

Yea, their finish is rough and not as durable compared to AK's but I didn't buy it to be a fancy showpiece. I bought my AK to be an AK. Does it shoot? Is it durable? That is all I care about and it does those things well.

Like others said, closest thing to a true factory AKM import that we could get. WASR's lack the dimples and use single-stack bolts, Arsenal's are modernized and different, PAP's are their own thing as are the Chinese, Saiga's are based on the AK-100 series, the few Hungarian AKM's we got are different from the fact they use AK-47-type furniture, a funky pistol grip, and an AK-47 type gas tube with blonde furniture. The SAR-1 is probably the only other AK that comes close to being a true factory AKM but again uses a different type of furniture than laminated that the Soviets used that the Egyptians did.

That makes absolutely no sense. So some laminated wood and dimples are justification for buying a low end(at best, internationally) AK? Whatís wrong with polish ones? They are litterally indistinguishable from the russian ones except for markings?

Scott7891 11-10-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clown (Post 4320274)
That makes absolutely no sense. So some laminated wood and dimples are justification for buying a low end(at best, internationally) AK? What’s wrong with polish ones? They are litterally indistinguishable from the russian ones except for markings?

It makes absolute sense you are just too dense to get it. That is fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Polish AK's here are NOT factory. They are all parts kits. I would rather have a factory gun than pay $1000 for a glorified parts-kit. I only paid $600 for my Maadi already converted. Why pay more for fancy paint and other crap I don't care for? I bought a fighting gun I am not a pansy obsessed with pretty finishes.

Again all I care about is if my gun works and my Maadi works. Sorry that your experience in Iraq shows otherwise but it doesn't speak for everyone's nor are you the final authority.

Clown 11-10-2017 04:28 PM

So what prevents you from buying a Romy SAR and some Russian furniture? You’ll have a high to mid end AK thats great. Old AK furniture is sold easily and cheaply in europe, unless it’s all gone to firewood by now.

Oh and I have to ask, is your Maadi F/A? From before the ban you guys got or whatever it was.

PORTER 11-10-2017 04:28 PM

I have had shot one that a buddy owned, was the biggest pile I have ever shot. Wasn't impressed with the fit and finish at all. When he wanted to sell(pretty cheap) it I passed on it. I should have bought it and sold in on here as there are a few on here that like them.

Scott7891 11-10-2017 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clown (Post 4320287)
So what prevents you from buying a Romy SAR and some Russian furniture? You’ll have a high to mid end AK thats great. Old AK furniture is sold easily and cheaply in europe, unless it’s all gone to firewood by now.

Because I already have a Romanian AK so why buy another? I like my Egyptian AK and it's great. It works despite all the naysayers here. Maybe they got the crappy MISR-10 or 90? I can understand the dislike for those.

Why are you so bent out of shape that someone likes an AK you despise? Remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Clown 11-10-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott7891 (Post 4320293)
Because I already have a Romanian AK so why buy another? I like my Egyptian AK and it's great. It works despite all the naysayers here. Maybe they got the crappy MISR-10 or 90? I can understand the dislike for those.

Why are you so bent out of shape that someone likes an AK you despise?

I am not bent out of shape at all. Iím trying to UNDERSTAND the appeal. I thought first that it was a collectors thing, with exotic markings and stuff, but then found people use them, and not just collect, so I wanted to understand the appeal, and why some on here get so excited.

Is your Maadi a f/a from before that became illegal?

Scott7891 11-10-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clown (Post 4320296)
I am not bent out of shape at all. I’m trying to UNDERSTAND the appeal. I thought first that it was a collectors thing, with exotic markings and stuff, but then found people use them, and not just collect, so I wanted to understand the appeal, and why some on here get so excited.

Is your Maadi a f/a from before that became illegal?

The appeal is taste, that is all.

Is my Maadi my favorite? No but pretty close.

I just like it for what it is. It shoots great and does what I want it to. Is that so hard to understand?

It is a MISR S/A, the good MISR compared to the other ones that I will admit are much crappier mainly for what they are.

fourtfourmag 11-10-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyod (Post 4320187)

Interesting, did not know that, thanks!

DP 11-10-2017 04:55 PM

This thread is like one of those "Hey you stupid American cunts dont know shit with your semi auto rifles while we have full autos in middle east and I know everything"type deal.

And dont forget only get Russian, Romanians cause they are the AK master race.

DP 11-10-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chknfkr (Post 4320230)

They are all shit, Russian and Bulgarians will fail too.

Craigan 11-10-2017 05:11 PM

So, after reading all of this, I will say that I have a Maadi that Jim Roberts built into a bfpu back before I began building my own. I wanted a beat up rifle with Arabic letters on it.

Consensus here is that their finish is shit - so maybe he didn't have to do too much :D

Tankboy 11-10-2017 05:24 PM

Aside from fit and finish Maadis reputation in the US has always been positive. I’ve never had one issue with mine and I couldn’t give a shit what some goat fuckers in the Middle East think of them lol. They’ve been in the states long enough for all of their drawbacks to be known. There’s no big mystery about them. You said yourself they aren’t taken care of and are mistreated so why would you expect them to look nice? I find it ironic how you preach about the Romanian AKs superiority when for the longest time in the US they were considered bottom of the barrel for their own fit and finish problems, and a few of them at their lowest point completely not even working. You can go on here and find every type of AK not working or being shit in one way or another.

I have all the AKs except for East Germany and Finland. I’ve shot them all extensively, and the only difference between all of them is there fit and finish. They all work the same if they’re combloc or almost all combloc and assembled here properly. In all of these threads I’ve seen no one besides myself talking about how much they like Maadis so I’m not seeing where you see people praising them because no one is. They were imported briefly in the 80s and 90s, and they’re not even all that well known or sought after nowadays.