The AK Files Forums

The AK Files Forums (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   AK-47s (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need info on Bulgarian SLR, please (http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3614)

demented 09-15-2004 10:07 PM

Need info on Bulgarian SLR, please

I found one, N.I.B. milled receiver for 525.00. Is this a good price and how does this rifle stand against an Arsenal or Vepr AK? I've never seen one of these. Thanks for any and all help with this!

Kino 09-15-2004 11:16 PM

My first AK was a SLR95. I now have the K-var US made black stocks on it. Beautiful rifle. It is an awesome AK variant that is superior to any Romamain, Eygptian and even my Hungarian AKs. With the ban dead now, and Arsenal is now building them and hopefully the "pre-ban" variants are coming, I would consider a possible "pre-ban" varaint that will no doubt come out in the coming months now that the ban is dead.

If not having a bayonet lug is ok with you, then I would snap that one up. I bought my SLR95 when they first came out and it was $390 at the gunshow and mine came without the muzzle brake so $525 is not a bad price especially considering that quality AKs like that can cost $600-700 dollars.

IMHO, the SLR95 was only rivaled by rare AK variants such as the Yugos, the Valmets and the Gailils. And it is particularly "evil" in black. Everybody who has handled my AKs all prefer the SLR95 to any variant that I have bar none.

Some may diasgree but that has been my experience with the SLR95.

swampdragon 10-11-2004 12:29 AM

I don't disagree AT ALL!!!!!!
I too have an SLR95. It is not only the BEST AK I've ever seen or fired, but it's one of the BEST "rifles" period that I've ever fired. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Did you convert yours to pistol grip configuration?
If so, which company's fire control group did you end up with? And how did that work out?
I want to convert mine, but just don't know who's FCG would work the best in the SLR95.

Kino 10-12-2004 12:07 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree AT ALL!!!!!!
I too have an SLR95. It is not only the BEST AK I've ever seen or fired, but it's one of the BEST "rifles" period that I've ever fired. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Did you convert yours to pistol grip configuration?
If so, which company's fire control group did you end up with? And how did that work out?
I want to convert mine, but just don't know who's FCG would work the best in the SLR95.

Since mine did not have a muzzle brake, I simply ordered the black US made K-var stocks from K-var. That was the first time I can say I was impressed by US made stocksets. Before K-var came out with those stocks, alot of US made stocks and FCGs were pretty crappy.

Yes mine is now in pistol grip and has been so for a few years now. Ironically, teh SLR95 came with the only thumbhole stock that was not that bad to handle but its not the same as the pistol grip configuration.

oh one thing I would like to add is that IMHO, I beleive the SLR95 to be a great choice for a first AK as the rifle has a higher than average build quality than most if not all other AKs being sold lately (new no bans excluded). The only problem I have had with my SLR95 was deciding it the Polish milled stockset looked better than the black stock set.
It was a tough decision.
The best IMHO is Redstararms. If you can swing the cash, get them if not, Tapco has a nice set for the SLR95 and even the FSE sold by RPBusa has worked out fine for me.

I did not go that route. My action on my SLR95 was just too damn good to justify messing with it at all. By far the best I have ever experienced (perhaps a fluke?). So i installed the 3 US parts stockset and I have ALOT of US made magazine parts that I used to substitute.

One thing odd though, I was always meaning to add the lower tang but have never done that. I was expecting the stock to wobble but and this may sound odd, the buttstock is on better than some of my Romanian rifles. I won't mess with that for awhile unless it becomes a problem.

I may install the lower tang when/if decide to add the bayonet lug and thread the barrel. I'll wait and see what I come up with later on.

The SLR95 is definitely a great AK to own, its just a sweet rifle.

swampdragon 10-12-2004 04:31 PM

Mine didn't come with a muzzle brake either.
I did take off my thumbhole a few days back, and discovered that "my" receiver has already been factory milled to accept the lower tang!
I have heard horror stories from others about having to dremel and file a groove in the receiver to fit the tang in. Such is not the case with mine.
I wonder if all the non-muzzle brake versions had the groove already milled and the versions with the MB's did not? Either way, I consider myself very happy and lucky at this point.
I agree with you about the factory FCG. My trigger is "sweet" just like it is.
I have been told by some others that the Bulgarian AK74 front sight post, with bayonet lug on the bottom, and built-in threads on the front, will fit the SLR95's barrel just fine. I have not "personally" veryfied this yet, but fully intend to.
If this turns out to be true, then I'll only have to install a front sight base, and not have to fool with threading the barrel at all! My intent is to add the Bulgarian Flash Hider like the one on Arsenal's SAS-M7.
I have bought a few different things from K-VAR in the past, and the quality has been very good. It's good to hear you like the K-VAR stocks. That is where I was going to get mine from. Did you get the standard Warsaw Pact length or the longer NATO length? I'm thinking personally that I want the shorter length. The shoulder padding on my LBV will make up the difference and the weapon will be easier/faster to shoulder.
I can't afford to go the mag follower/bottom plate route. I have -21- magazines. That would add up fast cost wise$$$
I have been told that the Tapco G2 double-armed trigger set is very near identicle to the factory FCG. I believe I will give it a try first.

m03 10-12-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demented
I found one, N.I.B. milled receiver for 525.00. Is this a good price and how does this rifle stand against an Arsenal or Vepr AK? I've never seen one of these. Thanks for any and all help with this!

Way too much money if it's an SLR-95, IMHO. I've seen them in original condition (thumbhole stock) for around $400 lately.

You can get an Arsenal Inc. SA-M7 or SA-M7S for around $600, and those have the standard pistol grip, buttstock, and cleaning rod mount, along with a warranty.

If it's an SLR-101 that has been converted to high-cap and has a standard pistol grip/buttstock, then that's about average.

Kino 10-13-2004 03:16 PM

I got the warsaw length on mine. I know some like the longer buttstock but its hard for me to see through the rear leaf sights with a longer stock. I know I have a longer plum stock on my Romak II. If you go to RPBusa.com and check out their mag sets, you can get a set of ten mag followers and floor plates for $10.00. So since you do not have the muzzle brake, you have a total of 14 Imported parts. 14- 3 US stock parts-1 mag part =10 plus you now can put one US made mag part of each of your mags except one. Add another floor plate for $3.25 and for $13.25 you can legally install the stockset without messing with the FCG. Given the G2 trigger goes for $39.99 at Tapco, you can save some cash.

swampdragon 10-13-2004 05:26 PM

I didn't know that. All the mag followers I've looked at so far are the BlackJack bolt-hold-open ones. They were a lot more expensive. I'll have to check out the website you mentioned.
As I said above though, I do want a flash hider and bayonet lug.
I'll have to figure this parts count thing again.
3-piece (US stock set)
3-piece FCG
= 6-parts
or
Stock set and followers/floor plates
Does the followers and floor plates count as 1-or-2 parts?
Is the rule 10 or less, or, less than 10?

Kino 10-13-2004 08:45 PM

Don't worry it'll get easier to figure out the parts count as you go get more acquantied with the rifle and gun laws.

The rule is 10 or less so you can not have 11 imported parts, 10 is legal.
Out of the listed 20 parts that count, 3 are mag parts. The follower, the floor plate and the magazine body. The floor plate fcounts as one part and the mag follower counts as one part.

A milled AK has one less part than a stamped Ak since the front trunion is part of the milled receiver.

So if you were to thread your barrel and go the whole 9 yards including flash hider, you will need 5 parts for you SLR95.
If it was a stamped AK, you would need 6.
if it was a stamped AMD65 with barrel extenstion, you would need 7.

On thing you need to remember is that the upper and lower handguards count only as one part.

As for as a bayonet lug setup, Global Trades and K-var should have what you need. I just don't know if I wan to mess with the rifle since it works so well. I don't know I 'll probaly send it off one day to get the full look.

swampdragon 10-13-2004 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I get it now.
I know that the milled receivers don't count the trunion as a separate part, because it is a permanent part (milled-in) of the receiver. Right?
I'm not gonna thread my "barrel" either. I want the front sight post that has threads on the front of it. That way, if I decide later that I want to take it off, I won't have to deal with a threaded barrel.

Kino 10-13-2004 10:33 PM

Thats correct about why the trunion is not counted as a part on the milled receiver since the turnion is part of the receiver.

swampdragon 10-13-2004 10:38 PM

thanks

NRAJOE 10-15-2004 08:39 PM

My SLR101S...Love it even more than my VEPR K... :D

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//5...le0049-med.jpg

swampdragon 10-15-2004 08:58 PM

NRAJOE,
We must travel in some of the same circles? Seems like I've seen a pic of your rifle before. I thought it was on a different website though. Maybe not, I could be wrong.
Either way, VERY NICE!!!!!!!
Where's your sling? Most synthetics are black with green slings. With your green stocks, are you going with a black sling for contrast?
My SLR is all black, sling and all. I never could decide for sure if I liked the green or black sling better.
Does your rifle have a side mount?

NRAJOE 10-15-2004 09:00 PM

Yep, gotta black sling...yup, got siderail too bro...accurate as it is...ain't gonna put a scope on it. I'm gonna put a Red dot on my VEPR K though...:D

swampdragon 10-15-2004 09:26 PM

My SLR95 has a side rail too. I put a BP-02 mount on it, and added a busnell trophy multi-reticle red dot on it.
The red-dot made a dramatic difference in speed and accuracy both. I also added a mojo peep.
I already had the bushnell. I'm trying to decide now between the OKO with roll cage, or an aimpoint.

NRAJOE 10-16-2004 07:17 AM

:cool: