Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #71
carlrodd

AKaholic #: 171813
Default TGI import

Plan to add a bumpski adapter to accommodate an ace folder.

Last edited by carlrodd; 10-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.
carlrodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #72
sKott

AKaholic #: 6964

Here's mine

sKott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #73
carlrodd

sKott, that's just about perfect. Details, please. And how effective is that brake....and where is it from?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #74
winston smith
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 13442

sKott that looks familiar for some reason.? But I just can't place it... hmmmmm

Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #75
civic96hb

AKaholic #: 170924

Mine

civic96hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #76
superbee
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154676

Sold mine, but loved it...

With over 8 years in the contractor world over in A-stan...there is a reason everyone runs AK's.
superbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #77
ciscokid185

AKaholic #: 171336

A work in progress, but I didn't want to be left out of the fun.
ciscokid185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #78
sKott

AKaholic #: 6964

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrodd View Post
sKott, that's just about perfect. Details, please. And how effective is that brake....and where is it from?
I built that one some time ago. I had a member named Moses make the brake. Not sure what you mean by effective.
If you meant "did it bring it to the legal length" then yes it did.
If you meant "is it loud as Hell" then yes it is.
sKott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #79
carlrodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKott View Post
I built that one some time ago. I had a member named Moses make the brake. Not sure what you mean by effective.
If you meant "did it bring it to the legal length" then yes it did.
If you meant "is it loud as Hell" then yes it is.
I was referring to its effectiveness to diminish muzzle rise, given that it has that additional mass on the end of the brake to bring it to legal length.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #80
LV76239

AKaholic #: 164608

here's mine. refinished it after my gunsmith replaced the original barrel. (warped when he tried to weld the muzzle break back on) needless, i got a 14" barrel and a 2" phantom muzzle break now for free!. she runs great.

mas armas=menos violencia
more guns=less voilence
LV76239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #81
DispositionMatrix

AKaholic #: 171356

Here is my TGI, complete with rusty Polish mag. (I replaced the piston to be 922r-compliant.)

Last edited by DispositionMatrix; 11-01-2013 at 03:49 PM.
DispositionMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #82
Herby

AKaholic #: 76699

Quote:
Originally Posted by auditech10 View Post
And you are an IDIOT! Worry about what you do and not what others do.
+1
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #83
alaskaAK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 168822

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehigh View Post

I put this one together.
Lehigh,,,
Just wanted to say that AK's look lame without a magazine included in the picture. Nice build btw.
alaskaAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #84
mnhunter59

AKaholic #: 35743

Missed this thread somehow. Here's my build from 2009. Romy barrel and stripped Romy gastube.

Mock up.

Front Trunnion Rivet Holes.

Installing Barrel with Allthread Method, slicker than shit.

After GunCoat..Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I don't know what YOU need, but right now a big line of some Peruvian abalone pearl flake followed by some truly memorable, "close your eyes and see God", swallow the sausage with both meatballs and tickle your butthole with her tongue, earth-shaking head by a hot tight young blond with big tits would suit me just fine.
mnhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #85
entry red

AKaholic #: 45735

mnhunter59. Very nice!
entry red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #86
carlrodd

Ace stock addition complete. I would like to utilize a polish ak sling I have. Any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #87
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Ace stock addition complete. I would like to utilize a polish ak sling I have. Any suggestions?

How did you go about adding the ACE stock?

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #88
carlrodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP123 View Post
How did you go about adding the ACE stock?
The Bumpski adapter for the AMD accommodates Ace stocks. It is secured by the retention pin that secures the original folder, is half the price of the Krebs adapter, and probably a 1/3 the size. Here's a link:

http://fostechoutdoors.com/shop/inde...ct_detail&p=14
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #89
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

Quote:
The Bumpski adapter for the AMD accommodates Ace stocks. It is secured by the retention pin that secures the original folder, is half the price of the Krebs adapter, and probably a 1/3 the size. Here's a link:

it works great. best solution for adding an ace style stock without having to modify the rear trunnion.
soul rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #90
carlrodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul rebel View Post
it works great. best solution for adding an ace style stock without having to modify the rear trunnion.
Agreed. I almost pulled the trigger on the Krebs adapter, and then saw the link for the Bumpski adapter on a forum. Hopefully word spreads on this adapter. Not disparaging Krebs, but their adapter is ungainly and overpriced, in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #91
ciscokid185

Quote:

Love the way the adapter turned out, but I can't quite wrap my head around how it installs.

Far as I can tell, the adapter goes in place of the old arm, and is held in place by the original pin.

But how the heck is the ace stock attached? Do you have any more pictures of how it mounts?

I think you've found the best solution for fixing the greatest weakness of the AMD!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #92
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:

No freaking shit!? That is awesome. I was going to buy a Krebs this week, but damn, it is bulky as hell, costs too much, looks like shit and adds too much to the LOP. I understand that they were making room for the Krebs top rail to attach, but that thing sits way too high and there are better options for adding optics. Thank you very much for sharing.

Lastly, does the Bumpski adapter work with the existing folding mechanism installed in the AMD's rear trunnion or is it made non-functional? It looks like it would be functional in terms of folding. If it works, why did you install an ACE folding mechanism? Could you have just added the stock and skipped the ACE folding mech?

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #93
fly
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 157672

[URL=http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/fly105/media/001_zps3e9070e6.jpg.html][/URL

on a OOW receiver
** Colt Canada Diemaco Upper receiver **
www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327813
=================================
** Sling Quite AK/AR Clip & Buckle Cover's **
www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287226
================================

((DB)) #1 SnatchWrecher /'' If it's NOT a Colt it's a Copy ''
fly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #94
carlrodd

Quote:
No freaking shit!? That is awesome. I was going to buy a Krebs this week, but damn, it is bulky as hell, costs too much, looks like shit and adds too much to the LOP. I understand that they were making room for the Krebs top rail to attach, but that thing sits way too high and there are better options for adding optics. Thank you very much for sharing.

Lastly, does the Bumpski adapter work with the existing folding mechanism installed in the AMD's rear trunnion or is it made non-functional? It looks like it would be functional in terms of folding. If it works, why did you install an ACE folding mechanism? Could you have just added the stock and skipped the ACE folding mech?
I think I understand what you're asking. The AMD trunnion simply holds the amd folder in place. There is not another piece to the contraption. The trunnion basically IS the folding mechanism. When you remove the amd stock, you simply put the bumpski adapter in its place, and it is secured in the trunnion with the pin that secured the folding stock. The adapter definitely does not move after secured with that pin. It simply creates a flat face to attach stock or folding mechanism to. You certainly could attach an Ace fixed stock at that point, but if you want a folder, you have to install their folding mechanism first. I paid just about 210 bucks with shipping for everything, as opposed to probably 275 if I had gone with the Krebs adapter......and it looks better.

Btw, you really have to manhandle that pin, or at least I did. So don't be afraid to bang the hell out of it, both in and out.

Last edited by carlrodd; 11-05-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #95
carlrodd

Quote:
I think I understand what you're asking. The AMD trunnion simply holds the amd folder in place. There is not another piece to the contraption. The trunnion basically IS the folding mechanism. When you remove the amd stock, you simply put the bumpski adapter in its place, and it is secured in the trunnion with the pin that secured the folding stock. The adapter definitely does not move after secured with that pin. It simply creates a flat face to attach stock or folding mechanism to. You certainly could attach an Ace fixed stock at that point, but if you want a folder, you have to install their folding mechanism first. I paid just about 210 bucks with shipping for everything, as opposed to probably 275 if I had gone with the Krebs adapter......and it looks better.

Btw, you really have to manhandle that pin, or at least I did. So don't be afraid to bang the hell out of it, both in and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid185 View Post
Love the way the adapter turned out, but I can't quite wrap my head around how it installs.

Far as I can tell, the adapter goes in place of the old arm, and is held in place by the original pin.

But how the heck is the ace stock attached? Do you have any more pictures of how it mounts?

I think you've found the best solution for fixing the greatest weakness of the AMD!
Just saw your post. A little more clarification. Yes, the adapter is machined to fit into the slot where the folder was, and is secured by the same retention pin. It does not move....very secure. The adapter creates a flat face, adds only about 1/4 of an inch to the LOP, and has a groove and pre-drilled holes that perfectly accommodate the folding mechanism for Ace. If you did not want a folder, the pre-drilled holes on the adapter will accommodate the Ace stock without folding mechanism as well. I'd love to show some photos, but I'm not pulling it apart....loctite and all
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #96
ciscokid185

Quote:
Just saw your post. A little more clarification. Yes, the adapter is machined to fit into the slot where the folder was, and is secured by the same retention pin. It does not move....very secure. The adapter creates a flat face, adds only about 1/4 of an inch to the LOP, and has a groove and pre-drilled holes that perfectly accommodate the folding mechanism for Ace. If you did not want a folder, the pre-drilled holes on the adapter will accommodate the Ace stock without folding mechanism as well. I'd love to show some photos, but I'm not pulling it apart....loctite and all
You did a great job explaining it, no need for the additional pictures. lol.

I was worried that I would have to drill and tap the adapter in order to add the stock and the folding mechanism. I really didn't want to do that.

I looked around for the parts, but I'm not sure I found the right ones.

Is this what you used?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/202...aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...eceiver-blocks
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #97
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing.... and saving me a few bucks.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #98
carlrodd

Quote:
That is awesome. Thank you for sharing.... and saving me a few bucks.
My pleasure.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #99
carlrodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid185 View Post
You did a great job explaining it, no need for the additional pictures. lol.

I was worried that I would have to drill and tap the adapter in order to add the stock and the folding mechanism. I really didn't want to do that.

I looked around for the parts, but I'm not sure I found the right ones.

Is this what you used?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/202...aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343...eceiver-blocks
Those are the Ace parts, but go directly to their website.....midway is way more....

http://riflestocks.com/store/product2.html

For your reference, I chose the 7.5 inch stock, with .5 inch butttpad. I've chosen not to install the butttpad at this point.

Last edited by carlrodd; 11-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #100
ciscokid185

Quote:
Those are the Ace parts, but go directly to their website.....midway is way more....

http://riflestocks.com/store/product2.html

For your reference, I chose the 7.5 inch stock, with .5 inch butttpad. I've chosen not to install the butttpad at this point.
I appreciate all your help.

I'm going to try and be patient and see if a used set happens to come up during the holiday season. I'm sure someone somewhere, won't want it...I hope!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #101
mnhunter59

AKaholic #: 35743

Quote:
Originally Posted by entry red View Post
mnhunter59. Very nice!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I don't know what YOU need, but right now a big line of some Peruvian abalone pearl flake followed by some truly memorable, "close your eyes and see God", swallow the sausage with both meatballs and tickle your butthole with her tongue, earth-shaking head by a hot tight young blond with big tits would suit me just fine.
mnhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #102
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Mine before i sold it. Bushnell micro on an ultimak.
Worm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #103
micdude

AKaholic #: 171863

How about a bubba job! Lol
This guy wants to trade :-/
micdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #104
carlrodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Mine before i sold it. Bushnell micro on an ultimak.
Is that the Tapco brake? If so, your opinion? Is it sturdy, and does it function as the Hungarian brake with extension does?
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #105
victorr

AKaholic #: 163002

victorr is offline   Reply With Quote