Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #36
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

This is good and useful video and I appreciate it.

Will buy more Russian and Chinese AKs when the money comes in.

Where is that money and when is a big question.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #37
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Thank you for the HTML link. I just got some time, so will listen to it shortly, cheers.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #38
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

For those who had a problem with the video - youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfa1RDNyss
Machak_Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #39
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

Machak Silver: Excellent video. Thank you.

GuzziMike: Former SEAL Chuck Pfarrer states in his book "Warrior Soul" that he and other team members in Lebanon during the L. Civil War sometimes carried Chinese AKs.

One time was when inserted onto a mountain over the Bekaa Valley, in order to observe strike damage planned by French (Air Force) Mirages on a Hezbollah compound.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-30-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Laufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:46 AM   #40
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by single hook View Post
I can neither confirm nor deny, but I don't doubt it, this isn't the first time I've read this.
Ive heard/read the same also
Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 PM   #41
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
Some time ago, I spoke to a school buddy of my son's. He went into the Navy after HS, and is an armorer for the teams.

He told me that they use ChiCom AKMs almost exclusively over other AKM variants...

-
US special ops troops may use Chinese AKs because of the fact that China was a de facto ally during the second half of the Cold War. It obviously would have been easier in the 1980s for the Pentagon to ring up Norinco to place an order for AKs than to order them from Izhmash.

Last edited by Charlemagne; 10-30-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #42
Alias
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 172406

Thanks, Op, for putting together the video. I have both milled (386) and stamped (Factory 56) and I find the quality on both to be exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
For some reason I don’t find the AKM to be very attractive.
Yet your Files username is Maadi... Smh lol
Alias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #43
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
US special ops troops may use Chinese AKs because of the fact that China was a de facto ally during the second half of the Cold War. It obviously would have been easier in the 1980s for the Pentagon to ring up Norinco to place an order for AKs than to order them from Izhmash.
Well, in the 1980s, "the Pentagon" reportedly got their hands on Russian built MiGs from Israel, and provided Soviet and ComBlock AKMs and RPGs for the Afghan warlords from Egypt and "other" sources.. So apparently they had access to varied sources for AKMs.

But I can only speak personally of the Chinese AKMs in service with the teams from 2010 to 2015, because that is when my friend was in Yuma. I have not spoken to this person since then.

BTW, story goes that I may or may not have a ChiCom 30rd Magazine that was used "in anger" by our teams, and it still has angry sand from Iraq in it. It is my most valuable Magazine I own.

Or owned. Sadly, I lost in in an unfortunate Canoe accident last year.

I would not have traded or sold it for all the tea in China...

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #44
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

While i cant compare the quality of Russian or Chinese made AK's as i only own Chicoms, i can say that i own two MAK90's, one milled the other stamped and both are quality made rifles. The fit and finish on them is top notch.
I do plan on getting a non Chicom in the near future, but im more than happy with the ones i own. Ill most likely get a WASR or a SAR and go the modern route and dress it in polymer furniture.
Thank you for sharing the video
Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 AM   #45
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
Well, in the 1980s, "the Pentagon" reportedly got their hands on Russian built MiGs from Israel, and provided Soviet and ComBlock AKMs and RPGs for the Afghan warlords from Egypt and "other" sources.. So apparently they had access to varied sources for AKMs.
No question that the Defense Department could get Russian weapons during the Cold War. However they were not as readily available to us as the stuff from China. I am not saying that I KNOW for a fact that this is why US special ops forces would use Type 56s instead of AKMs but it makes sense.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:55 AM   #46
Christopher67
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machak_Silver View Post
For those who had a problem with the video - youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfa1RDNyss
Here let me help.

Christopher67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #47
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

Oftentimes we 'identify' Chicom rifles in photos from hot zones from the hooded front sight post and/or the spiker bayonet. While the Chinese did export tons and tons of their weapons, they also helped set up tooling to build Type 56 in some other countries like Albania and Sudan.
Then you've got Iran who makes the KL 7.62 - an unlicensed copy of the Type 56. Any of these could also be found, beat up and abused, and easily be assumed to be of Chinese origin.

Only the Albanian is independently identifiable from photos - because it was made without dimples before the WASR was ever dreamed of. I've heard their quality is rather poor, and I suspect the same can be said of the Sudanese and Iranian copies. But short of actually seeing the arsenal markings or other stamps, it's pretty much not possible for us to 100% say we're looking at a Chinese rifle in a photo or most youtube videos. I feel this could contribute to the reputation of Chinese weapons. That Norinco exported their prettiest examples to the US is a possibility I've never considered, and I do think that's possible. The Polytechs were essentially Beijing's "Catwalk Display Weapons".

I don't doubt the validity of the OP's video here (Very good, by the way. Hope to see more), but someone did mention it's being compared to relatively fresh Soviet AKM. Doesn't really matter, in the end. They'll both do what they were made to do.
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #48
Machak_Silver

It is good point, Craigan.
I've seen some Albanian AKs in Afganistan, quality was rather poor: crooked front sights, finish easily wearing off. One of those guns is featured in the video at 3.34.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #49
Ves

AKaholic #: 163374

Great Vid!

Here is a pic of some Chinese AK's in a Seals arms room. These were posted a while ago by SMGLee. Does it mean Chinese AK's are better than other AK's? Probably not, they all do what they were designed to do. The history of the Type 56 is interesting how they had to develop their own stamped receiver rifle as the Soviets were no longer providing assistance. Thought the pics were relevant to this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CS137.jpg (95.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CS139.jpg (84.1 KB, 14 views)
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #50
OCRebote78

AKaholic #: 186394

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhenderson1 View Post
Is that you in the video? If so, where is the cool Russian accent?
As much as I appreciate you taking the time to show off those commie beaut's and inform us on them, I think you should have let that Comrade speak more and hit us with some knowledge.
OCRebote78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #51
charles_the_hammer
Banned

AKaholic #: 181014

Subscribed to your channel.

My 1994 MAK-90 is in the shop right now getting the Polytech hooded front sight base and folding bayonet pressed on. When completed should look just like the one in your vid minus the BFPU finish.

I know there are some who like to knock the Chinese guns but I love mine. One of the favorite "modern historical shooters" I own. I try to restore all my rifles as closely back to their original military spec as legally possible, and the Type 56 is an iconic piece of Cold War and 3rd World Conflict history.
charles_the_hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #52
Machak_Silver

I appreciate the feedback, thanks you, everyone!
Next episode will be about Hungarian guns, it should be very interesting, since Pavel has one of the finest Hungarian AK collections in the world.

Last edited by Machak_Silver; 11-10-2017 at 12:20 PM.