Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #1
B.Y.O.G

AKaholic #: 190021
Default ALG or CMC?

Looking to try out a new trigger. I have the tapco g2 in the wasr, Rak-1 in the c39v2 and the ak63ds , and honestly don't think they are that great. Nothing even close to the feeling of my Timney trigger in my AR. Which do you guys prefer and why?
B.Y.O.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Y.O.G View Post
Looking to try out a new trigger. I have the tapco g2 in the wasr, Rak-1 in the c39v2 and the ak63ds , and honestly don't think they are that great. Nothing even close to the feeling of my Timney trigger in my AR. Which do you guys prefer and why?
Well, the Timney trigger is a drop in and costs what? $200? 3.5-4LB PULL?
Well..............we're talking AKs here now aren't we? I guess that's the catch.
Stupid questions here. Have you ever tried working on the triggers you have? You know........polishing them up and such? Do you think it's even remotely possible that you could make your so-so triggers a tiny bit better by doing a little careful work on them yourself? Have you ever been happy with a stock trigger in your AKs?
I know that not everyone is mechanically inclined, and I know a lot of times it's way easier to just dislike something and open up that wallet and throw some more money away (some folks do turn that into a hobby BTW). If we didn't keep the aftermarket companies in business the world would end as we know it.
Oddly enough, I've seen plenty of folks speak highly of the G2 and the RAK triggers on this very forum. I also know it's a matter of personal preference.
So.........maybe you should ask yourself................why are your experiences so different?
What I gather (not assuming) from what you've said..............is that you want an AR trigger in your AKs or an AK trigger that feels like your Timney in your AR.
All in all, you might like the ALG, but you might not ever be happy with any of the AK triggers since AKs are AKs and ARs are ARs.
All of mine either came with the factory surplus, the Tapco G2s, or the Arsenal triggers.
I guess I'm used to not expecting too much or more than can be expected. It's also possible that I'm just a cheap ass too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

If you’re a spoiled trigger princess try the ALG AKTE.

I have the ALG in one of my rifles and love it. But Tapco really isn’t a bad trigger for an AK. Having used a surplus FCG in semi auto configuration the feel of the Tapco is very close.
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
tacogewehr

AKaholic #: 192090

I love the ALG. I have the normal and nickel teflon coated ones. I think the normal one, for the price, can't be beat. Smooth, consistent, light without being dangerous. The coated one was nice too but isn't necessary.
tacogewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
cciman

AKaholic #: 161444

Nothing will come halfway close to the Timney, Sorry.

ALG would be my pick for a store bought. You can modify the factory ones to do what you want, with patience and a dremel.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Huch

AKaholic #: 190106

ALG. I had both, sold the CMC and bought another ALG. The CMC is better than the ALG, but not nearly enough to justify the cost difference. Another thing to consider is that the CMC is a drop in unit (needs to be to be for them to keep the tolerances tight enough for the short trigger pull), but that means that it's not forgiving if your pin holes are slightly out of spec. The CMC is also not a true drop in, you have to press some spring loaded pins in to remove the trigger shoe, insert the body of the unit and then reinstall the trigger shoe back in. Takes the same amount of time as installing a regular AK trigger.

You will also never get your AK trigger to be as good as your AR's. If that is your goal, you will be disappointed. That's why I say get the ALG. I thought the CMC would be as good as the CMC in my AR; it's not.
Huch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
mneblett

AKaholic #: 192174

Another vote for the ALG.

Crisp enough for a defensive and range-use rifle and, if anything, too light pull weight. Mine came with a small second spring to add weight to the pull, and after my first range session I installed it to bring the pull weight up a bit.

Still a light pull, but not what I'd call "dangerous light" for a rifle that may see defensive use.
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #8
B.Y.O.G

AKaholic #: 190021

Great information gentleman! Much appreciated.
B.Y.O.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
jekbrown

AKaholic #: 175516

x2 on the ALG. Got one for my Saiga iz132, loved it. Getting 2 more for some other AKs in the arsenal. For the price they can't be beat.
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Just use good ol factory combloc fcgs.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

I tried an ALG on a friend's rifle. It was the original. With three different ones out there I'm not sure what's worth the cost or what to recommend. I definitely liked it better than any other AK trigger.

I've never seen one person say the CMC is worth $200.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Y.O.G View Post
Most of my AK's have Tapco G2 that I polished myself and they all have a nice smooth, crisp trigger pull.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

All my AK’s are with ALG and AR’s/Tavor with Geissele triggers which is relative to ALG I believe. No regrets, excellent triggers!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
mneblett

AKaholic #: 192174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
All my AKís are with ALG and ARís/Tavor with Geissele triggers which is relative to ALG I believe. No regrets, excellent triggers!
ALG = Amy Lynn Geissele. Bill Geissele's wife. Their division for other-than-uber-high-end Geissele company products.
mneblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

ALG. Weight of the pull is much like the Tapco G2, but FAR less take up, next to no over travel, and a very short reset. Perfect trigger for a semi automatic.
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

ALG is amazing AF in my SLR-95 as well as VEPR 12.........cant wait to put one in my M92
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
ALG = Amy Lynn Geissele. Bill Geissele's wife. Their division for other-than-uber-high-end Geissele company products.
Correct, that is what I want to say, thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
richyankee

AKaholic #: 194501

I have heard nothing but good things about the AKT and watched a couple of yt vids, reviews and installation videos. I was convinced I wanted it so I found one in the equipment exchange and sent off a money order for it. I was expecting it today, but the weather was nice (getting to be unusual around here at this time of year) and it looked like the mailman wouldn't get here until dark, so I grabbed my AK and went to the range, thinking I would fix the impression I have of the current (manufacturer's trigger in my mind...)

After settling down and staring to shoot, I realized that the trigger I have is really pretty good. It surprised me several time as I was slowly squeezing off shots, trying to make a decent group. The trigger is very light and smooth.

I am shooting a C39V2, and enjoying every round of it So, this trigger is as light as I would want it and not gritty or chunky at all.

Anybody want to buy an AKT?

Rich

Last edited by richyankee; 11-15-2017 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
richyankee is offline   Reply With Quote