Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #36
chris22lr

AKaholic #: 191222

I never really focused on the pistol grip coloration, but what you describe here (regarding plastic/bakelite/whatever it really is grips) seems to fit the photos I've got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
1) early AKM - dark brown
2) mid-to-late AKM(S) (excluding 1990s guns) - dark red/brown mix
3) early Tantal/Onyks - light red to orange (with later specimens being all black - 1995 Onyks, and 5.56 wz.90/91 prototypes)
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's a case of some deliberate action, accident, or maybe color simply fades to black with years. Never really put much thought into this, and I guess we'll never know for sure.

One interesting thing regarding black AKMS/Tantal grips and Beryl grips is that Beryl grips are of different, a bit lighter, shade - on old photos it often comes out with a distinctive blue tint. Why they've done that, I've no idea. Also some military AKMS can also be found with black plastic grips and handguards (AK-74 style like on late Tantals) - these are guns which went through refurbishing in 2010s, IIRC furniture for these was provided by some other company, not FB "Lucznik" (maybe WBP? I dunno).

Quote:
I know I have one for the WZ.60 and another for the AKM/AKMS. I might have a Tantal specific late bayo somewhere around here too. Can't recall if the kit came with one or not.
That Tantal specific, how it differs from AKM one? I don't know much about bayonets, and I'm using worldbayonets.com as a reference - they list two bayonets for AKM (6H3 and 6H4) and one specific to Beryl (slightly modified, black plastic 6H4) which they describe as introduced around 2010. Honestly, I've never seen Beryl with black bayonets, only regular orange-ish 6H4s, and even commemorative bayonet sold by FB "Lucznik" looks to be identical to 6H4, not the "Beryl-specific" bayonet as shown on worldbayonets.com.

Quote:
We recorded the video today.

I gave a shout-out and thanks to everyone here who helped.
Also, i mentioned you Chris in particular but since I wasn't sure if you wanted your name talked about on video, i kept it vague..
We're waiting for the video!

Glad to be of help! Also - I don't really care for "credits", especially when it's all an open-source/public research (hell, I've learned something from you too!), but I'm also not a "secret squirrel" so of you feel like giving a shout-out to me I can only bow my head in thanks. It's a public forum after all.
chris22lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #37
chris22lr

AKaholic #: 191222

Going back to this thread with a little interesting piece. A one gun shop in Poland, specializing in historical/collector guns, have this fine example of AKM for sale. What makes that gun interesting is the fact that it is a fixed stock AKM manufactured by ZM "Lucznik" in year 1994. Serial number is NN0002.

Apart from the manufacture year it is a typical late Polish AKM with laminated handguards, stock and bakelite (or whatever it is - IIRC it isn't really a bakelite but can't recall proper name) pistol grip. Pistol grip may be a little surprising, since 1990's AKMSes from ZM "Lucznik" are known for their black plastic PGs, however these guns were produced between 1996-1999, so after introduction of Beryl.
chris22lr is offline   Reply With Quote