Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #106
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Your link goes to an AofA page not found. Not really sure of your question either sorry? WBP kit + FB barrel + quality rivets & receiver = good rifle. That's about it, and yes the front trunnion is forged on these. Some of the other parts might be cast, but then again Factory #11, Radom started using cast parts in its military guns as far back as the late '70s, so not a problem.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #107
akinak47

AKaholic #: 185601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Your link goes to an AofA page not found. Not really sure of your question either sorry? WBP kit + FB barrel + quality rivets & receiver = good rifle. That's about it, and yes the front trunnion is forged on these. Some of the other parts might be cast, but then again Factory #11, Radom started using cast parts in its military guns as far back as the late '70s, so not a problem.
The early WBP kits came with a cast front trunnion, which is what Rob has in these videos IIRC. WBP later started using forged front trunnions from radom because of the requests from customers that they received. However, Ive never heard anything bad about WBP's cast trunnions.
akinak47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #108
mishaco
Veteran Member

Yes, the switch was made quite some time ago, so any kit purchased from AofA within the last several months should have the milled trunnion.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #109
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

I have owned and shot many AK's, I have never seen bolt carrier tail deformation of any com-bloc, or Chinese AKM, until the USA made AK's started arriving on the scene. Due to my experience in machining and heat treating, I think the carrier is either improperly heat treated, or made from a casting instead of being forged. I'm having a hard time believing it's the hammer's fault!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #110
mishaco
Veteran Member

The carrier could very well be made from a casting...so what? Russia switched over to using cast carriers in what? 1973 or 1974?

OK, what is the big deal with pinging? Has it caused any malfunctions? has it ever lead to a carrier actually cracking or the tail breaking off? Has it murdered a Nun lately?

Its cosmetic. Its not the USA made AKs coming onto the seen. Its people examining every AK with a microscope after firing a few hundred or thousand rounds.
Every gun has wear points, and this is just one for the AK.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #111
blanddragon

AKaholic #: 193700

Quote:
The carrier could very well be made from a casting...so what? Russia switched over to using cast carriers in what? 1973 or 1974?

OK, what is the big deal with pinging? Has it caused any malfunctions? has it ever lead to a carrier actually cracking or the tail breaking off? Has it murdered a Nun lately?

Its cosmetic. Its not the USA made AKs coming onto the seen. Its people examining every AK with a microscope after firing a few hundred or thousand rounds.
Every gun has wear points, and this is just one for the AK.
+1 Misha
This is the files where everyone is an 'expert'...
blanddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #112
WBP Rogów

AKaholic #: 184249

Here are pics of our fully machined trunnions. When it comes to bolts and bolt carriers the only manufacturing method we adopted is machining - we DO NOT use any castings for these parts.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #113
mishaco
Veteran Member

See, there you go, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

And again even if cast, if done properly, so what? Many military, select fire AKMs and AK74s came from a gov't factory with a cast bolt carrier. It shouldn't mater.
Agreed, the bolt and the front trunnion should be machined always, but with many other parts you can get away with a casting just fine.

One of my Chinese AKs has a bit of peening on its carrier, and it is all original including the FCG.
I've noticed on carriers out of used surplus parts kits too. Not extreme, extreme defformation but definitely a bit of flaring.

Anyhow, WBP while you are hanging out here, I just got one of the Atlantic CG1s built with your parts.
I put it side by side with a 1967 Polish kit gun and it stacked up nicely. The only differences were minor such as the lightning cuts on the front sight base and rear sight leaf.
What impresses me though is how closely you reproduced the laminated furniture.

Also been trying out 4 of your green 7.62x39 mags in various AKs. Even gave them a go in a Galil Ace.
So far, so good. No malfuctions or concerning wear on the locking lugs.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #114
WBP Rogów

AKaholic #: 184249

Quote:
See, there you go, straight from the horse's mouth as it were.

And again even if cast, if done properly, so what? Many military, select fire AKMs and AK74s came from a gov't factory with a cast bolt carrier. It shouldn't mater.
Agreed, the bolt and the front trunnion should be machined always, but with many other parts you can get away with a casting just fine.

One of my Chinese AKs has a bit of peening on its carrier, and it is all original including the FCG.
I've noticed on carriers out of used surplus parts kits too. Not extreme, extreme defformation but definitely a bit of flaring.

Anyhow, WBP while you are hanging out here, I just got one of the Atlantic CG1s built with your parts.
I put it side by side with a 1967 Polish kit gun and it stacked up nicely. The only differences were minor such as the lightning cuts on the front sight base and rear sight leaf.
What impresses me though is how closely you reproduced the laminated furniture.

Also been trying out 4 of your green 7.62x39 mags in various AKs. Even gave them a go in a Galil Ace.
So far, so good. No malfuctions or concerning wear on the locking lugs.
Thank you, we are very glad to hear that your initial impressions are positive.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #115
Dwe

AKaholic #: 189354

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBP Rogów View Post
Here are pics of our fully machined trunnions. When it comes to bolts and bolt carriers the only manufacturing method we adopted is machining - we DO NOT use any castings for these parts.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #116
Christopher67
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBP Rogów View Post

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Christopher67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #117
mishaco
Veteran Member

Hi Chris, and by the way finished up my 'video' (actually 3 parts lol) on Polish AKs. I fear I am turning into the Nutnfancy of AKs and that i ramble too much. Maybe I should hire (i.e. pay in beer & cheap pizza) an editor? hehe
Old 11-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #118
Christopher67
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177018

Quote:
Hi Chris, and by the way finished up my 'video' (actually 3 parts lol) on Polish AKs. I fear I am turning into the Nutnfancy of AKs and that i ramble too much. Maybe I should hire (i.e. pay in beer & cheap pizza) an editor? hehe

Nice, thanks for part 3! Haha Nutnfancy of AKs!
Christopher67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #119
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
I have owned and shot many AK's, I have never seen bolt carrier tail deformation of any com-bloc, or Chinese AKM, until the USA made AK's started arriving on the scene. Due to my experience in machining and heat treating, I think the carrier is either improperly heat treated, or made from a casting instead of being forged. I'm having a hard time believing it's the hammer's fault!
Bulgarian Bolt Carrier after several thousand rounds... NO tail deformation!