Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
rurallife
gas operated

AKaholic #: 186131
Default SSR-AKMS AUSA

So here's an AK Armory USA was making around 2005, as best I can figure

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed.

Last edited by rurallife; 11-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.
rurallife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
rurallife
gas operated

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed.

Last edited by rurallife; 11-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
I miss photosuckit
Nails has the answer for posting pics here.
It's better than Photofuckspit.
Seriously.

Damn, that rifle looks un-fired inside, is it?
Really clean.

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
rurallife
gas operated

flikr doesn't do shit using an iPad. I may have to fire up the ol puter.

It apparently came outa some old boys safe in Texas. Guess he passed away and the family was selling off all his shit. It'd be better in a Nodak, but for quite a bit less than 6 bills, not too shabby. I'm still wondering if an AoA Radom parts kit in a Childress would be better, but that would probably be "better" than $1k after all said and done. Not rolling in dough, here.

edit: I'll try to take a dump tomorrow. An imgdump, that is.

Last edited by rurallife; 11-17-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
rurallife
gas operated

Old 11-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

As you'll see, there's been some recent interest in the Armory USA rifles, and they are really, really nice.

Love that you found an AKMS. I've wanted one for over a decade, and only have ever come across one that I passed on at the time. Great find!
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
rurallife
gas operated

Hard to tell how many were made. 300? 500? I found some stuff on old, old forums. With some old forums losing their host servers, some info is disappearing.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
rurallife
gas operated

"This is the way I remember it.

1. Global Trades/ Armory USA
2. Arsenal USA Houston, Texas
3. Elk River Tool and Die
4. RPG Arms
03-24-2006, 11:50 AM"
Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
rurallife
gas operated

Here's an old post from the original owner of AUSA,

"You bought a very nice rifle. The seller didn't describe it exactly correctly. Let us assume for charity that it was a misunderstanding.

We built round 100 of these rifles in the months following the expiration of the Crime Bill in Sept. 2004. We were already building AMD-63s on our receivers, and started installing the underfold trunnions and the folding stock when it became legal.

The rifles were not built by Ivan Kolev. He is my chief designer/engineer, and he was around for technical supervision, but the rifles were built by my assembly staff, all of whom are very experienced at building

We used pristine AMD-63 parts sets in building these rifles. These are very high quality sets, easily comparable to the Polish parts. The only non-standard part on the AMD is that the lower handguard flange is slightly smaller, and we had to trim the lower handguard at the front to fit. If you ever replace the handguard, you will have to do this to the replacement. Not a big deal.

We used Polish rear trunnion, buttstock assembly, and upper and lower handguards in building the rifle. The US parts are the receiver, the hammer, trigger, and disconnector, muzzle brake, and pistol grip.

It appears to us that the Hungarians were still chrome-lining their barrels at this point. Somewhere along the line they stopped doing this.

The easiest way to tell if the receiver is 1mm or 1.6mm is to look on the left side where the axis pins go through the receiver. If there are "chicken feet" around the pins, it is 1mm, if not it is 1.6mm. My memory is that most of the rifles were built using the 1.6 shell, but our records don't distinguish this by serial numbers.

Later we built a large series of rifles using Polish parts sets, which I acquired after this series. These rifles were marked SSR-AKMS to distinguish them from the earlier series. Nearly all of those were built using the 1.6mm receiver, and new 1.6mm Bulgarian barrel trunnions.

10-19-2007, 09:06 PM"
Old 11-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
rurallife
gas operated

So the SSR-AKMS has the Bulgarian front trunnion. Hopefully this is not the weak link in these rifles.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
rurallife
gas operated

Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post

Nice underfolder!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
rurallife
gas operated

Thanks.

And I even like the bigass, ugly "AUSA" marked grip.

Last edited by rurallife; 11-21-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
etown_ak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169947

I feel like I’ve owned a rifle with that big ole triple circle on it, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what or where or when that was. I almost feel like it was a Khyber I had at one point, but I’m 98% sure it was a converted Vector Arms.

Anyway, that’s a beautiful rifle. Paint me jealous.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #15
rurallife
gas operated

Thanks. It's definitely a tight one. (Insert tight joke here)