Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default M70ab2 Barrel Marking

I've been doing some research on an m70ab2. And I found that most had us barrels, but some came with yugo barrels. From what I have seen, most us barrels are unmarked, but yugo barrels have several proof marks.

This barrel, has a "3" (could be a sideways M) on the underside, near the front sight post. Barrel doesn't seem to have any other marking or scrawl. I can post a pic in a bit. Any ideas?
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic
 
genxgixxer's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179329
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: reno, nevada
Posts: 2,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahedgpe View Post
I've been doing some research on an m70ab2. And I found that most had us barrels, but some came with yugo barrels. From what I have seen, most us barrels are unmarked, but yugo barrels have several proof marks.

This barrel, has a "3" (could be a sideways M) on the underside, near the front sight post. Barrel doesn't seem to have any other marking or scrawl. I can post a pic in a bit. Any ideas?
What condition is the bore in?
__________________
"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."
Sent from 52 area
genxgixxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
Ram Rod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182786
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: therapy
Posts: 4,096
Default

Genuine Yugo barrels can have a 1, 2, or 3 stamp on them.
Here's a link to more info here: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242730
__________________
Misfit magazine garage repair guroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
What condition is the bore in?
Had issues trying to get a good pic of the bore with it stripped down.



Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Genuine Yugo barrels can have a 1, 2, or 3 stamp on them.
Here's a link to more info here: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242730
Thanks RR, I looked over that post previously. I also came across several posting that mentioned there would be several proofs on the yugo barrels, I guess that is one area I got confused with.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 4,182
Default

who's importer mark is on the Recvr?

ex: Century is more than likely a US bbl
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
LXD55
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 177980
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Out of the Basket and in the Main Stream.
Posts: 6,735
Default

I know sks bbl used to be judged by a 1, 2, 3. 3 being the most accurate.
??
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:35 PM   #8
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 4,182
Default

from what little I know or have read..
- Ak bbl stamps near the journals are sizes of the journals so corresponding # sized bbl components could be selected & pressed on for a proper interference fit..
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
who's importer mark is on the Recvr?

ex: Century is more than likely a US bbl
Its a Century
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #10
shaneakm31
Member
 
AKaholic #: 170744
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montgomery il
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXD55 View Post
I know sks bbl used to be judged by a 1, 2, 3. 3 being the most accurate.
??
I thought 1,2,3 was the class of fit? I am not sure!
shaneakm31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneakm31 View Post
I thought 1,2,3 was the class of fit? I am not sure!
To maybe answer one question....does the class of fit/accuracy rating relate to yugo barrels, or both?
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 4,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahedgpe View Post
To maybe answer one question....does the class of fit/accuracy rating relate to yugo barrels, or both?
as far as i know the #s have nothing to do with accuracy

as said ^ its for sizing the proper interference fit of the components as they were pressed on in original factories.

in comblock machining and assembly plants the numbers were stamped onto journals as they were measured and placed into the production line.

during the front end assembly the worker/s had bins with all the bbl parts and with in those were multiple 1s, 2s, & 3s part classifications after they were machined
(not purposely smaller or larger but just how they were milled, but still within specs)
so when the bbl stamped w/ 3, 2, 1 came onto their station they could then select the RSB with a 3, GB with a 2 and a FSB with a 1 so the appropriate 0.005 interference fit (or there abouts) could be achieved.

take a look at the sticky in GSBY http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25254
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahedgpe View Post
To maybe answer one question....does the class of fit/accuracy rating relate to yugo barrels, or both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
as far as i know the #s have nothing to do with accuracy

as said ^ its for sizing the proper interference fit of the components as they were pressed on in original factories.

in comblock machining and assembly plants the numbers were stamped onto journals as they were measured and placed into the production line.

during the front end assembly the worker/s had bins with all the bbl parts and with in those were multiple 1s, 2s, & 3s part classifications after they were machined
(not purposely smaller or larger but just how they were milled, but still within specs)
so when the bbl stamped w/ 3, 2, 1 came onto their station they could then select the RSB with a 3, GB with a 2 and a FSB with a 1 so the appropriate 0.005 interference fit (or there abouts) could be achieved.

take a look at the sticky in GSBY http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25254

I appreciate the info, maybe I was unclear.

Does your info only pertain to Yugo barrels, or can it pertain to US barrels? At this point Im just trying to confirm what type of barrel is on it (pics above). However, I love to know the ins and outs of what I have.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
LXD55
Banned
 
AKaholic #: 177980
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Out of the Basket and in the Main Stream.
Posts: 6,735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneakm31 View Post
I thought 1,2,3 was the class of fit? I am not sure!
The sks bbls were marked at the bore and fsb.

I will say that I believe this was only the chinese.
but i am to lazy to run it down again.
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
InsaneAuto86
SHTF Specialist
 
AKaholic #: 173989
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,444
Default

Thats the "E" for criterion barrels. US made
__________________
SHTF: AK47 SBR, G19, .17HMR w Omega
Working on caliber consolidation:
7.62x39, 7.62x51, 556, 9mm, .22, 12g, .17HMR
InsaneAuto86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #16
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86 View Post
Thats the "E" for criterion barrels. US made
Unless they just dont make AK barrels anymore, I'm having a difficult time finding any info on a Criterion AK barrel, even on their website.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #17
hellayella8888
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 164345
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Da Heights
Posts: 7,549
Default

US barrel on all Century Arms Yugo builds
hellayella8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellayella8888 View Post
US barrel on all Century Arms Yugo builds
Thanks, the sidebar info on what the 3 meant was starting to confuse me as to if it was yugo or us.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
Worm
Curio & Relic
 
Worm's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 170245
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXD55 View Post
I know sks bbl used to be judged by a 1, 2, 3. 3 being the most accurate.
??
Yeahhhhhh, no
__________________
If something isn't broken, the government will fix it until it is.
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #20
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 4,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahedgpe View Post
I appreciate the info, maybe I was unclear.

Does your info only pertain to Yugo barrels, or can it pertain to US barrels? At this point Im just trying to confirm what type of barrel is on it (pics above). However, I love to know the ins and outs of what I have.
with a US MADE BARREL on basically any yugo century contract build its gonna be on par with just about any other AK & there aren't any journal sizing stamps on US bbls.

I have a m70ab2 (us made bbl CAI build) with approx. 3k rounds and it will score hits on gallon jugs at 200 yds, I don't think mine is anything special its just not on the shitty end of the spectrum.
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #21
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
with a US MADE BARREL on basically any yugo century contract build its gonna be on par with just about any other AK & there aren't any journal sizing stamps on US bbls.

I have a m70ab2 (us made bbl CAI build) with approx. 3k rounds and it will score hits on gallon jugs at 200 yds, I don't think mine is anything special its just not on the shitty end of the spectrum.
I agree, mines a better tack-driver than me. My question stemmed from a desire to know exactly what I have, rather than a question of quality.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #22
Ahedgpe
Member
 
AKaholic #: 186625
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 187
Default

Maybe I'm back where I started. Seems some saying it's a US barrel, others saying that US barrels don't have numbers on them. It's not going to make it shoot different to me, it's the whole curiosity thing that made me ask to begin with.
Ahedgpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:43 AM   #23
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
Ram Rod's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182786
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: therapy
Posts: 4,096
Default

Posts #15 and #17
Looks more like an 'E' than a 3 or an M
From what I've seen (via Google) it makes sense your barrel is US made. Every surplus or foreign manufactured barrel appear to have more than one stamp or proof marking on them, and a lot of those barrels have a bunch of markings. FWIW
I've personally never been concerned about this. I know my complete imports and my 'assembled in USA' commercial ones and as of now mine are 50/50 until I get a tie breaker.
They all shoot, and I love my M70AB2

Ask AKBLUE for the win on this one
__________________
Misfit magazine garage repair guroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #24
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,621
Default

Sorry for the late reply.
I have been on holiday for 6 weeks in Africa, Belgium and Czech Republic.

Generally the Zastava barrels have a number of markings including numbers and journal size markings etc. Replacement barrels often with the 'TK" electro etched as well. The somewhat unique rear taper at the chamber end as well.



AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles