Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Pipehawk

AKaholic #: 194680
Default Dumb question about AK sights

So hear me out. I've done quite a lot of research on almost any way to spruce up the irons on the good ol' kalash in the quest for better shootability (though with more of a focus on accuracy than speed)
I've read about everything from painting them, front sight post AR-AK adapters (yes they make those), U notch rear sights, glock sight adapters (YES THEY MAKE THOSE), to smaller diameter sight posts from KNS precision.

From my research into KNS precision, I've heard that those long distance shots are easier to make with a smaller diameter bead, by virtue of the front sight being smaller in comparison to the rear sight, and thus more precise to line up.

My question is this: if you physically moved your head closer to the front and rear sights, would that not theoretically also make the front sight smaller in comparison to the rear sight, and thus enable better accuracy in the same way a smaller front sight post might?

I'm currently away from the range as of now so I can't test this hypothesis. Any speculation or experience would be welcome.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Pipehawk; 11-22-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: title didn't fit
Pipehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

KNS 0.52 Ball post front site painted a bright red is where its at
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Pipehawk

AKaholic #: 194680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Thought about going that route, but then I saw Ak operators union nailing steel at 500 yards with stock iron sights and I realized I don't really need to mod my sights. That and stock sights are compatible with east german surplus night sights which is a big plus. Not so much with aftermarket sights.
Pipehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
dan187
Ummm Hi?

AKaholic #: 174464

You could also get an RPK rear sight for windage adjustability.
dan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Longshot725
Patriot
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

Being good with the stock AK sights is it's own reward. Amaze yourself and impress your friends.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
-Thomas Paine-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
...Go to hell. Enjoy the ban. Get tapeworm.

Buy a Key Chain for Rilee!!! http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327470
Longshot725 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Ramey

AKaholic #: 185980

Moving your eyeball closer would increase the contrast in the available “gap” in the rear sight to the post of the front sight. Whether it is a benefit to you personally is the question. Just like the rest of life, too far one way or the other is bad. I would suggest that a KNS front sight increase your ability to line up a better shit. But if you widen the notch or place your fat face closer to simulate that effect, you can go to far and negate the advantage. AKs are not made for precision’s, though you can improve it. They are made for snap shooting @ 300 yards and in. Ideally 150 and in.
Ramey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Everyone, stay the absolute fuck away from KNS front sight posts. They are complete garbage. I have had two break off in the front sight drum. Talk about a massive pain in the ass. Those pricks at KNS owe me hundreds of dollars for the time that I have wasted related to their inferior shit. Sorry for the rant. KNS and their soft, cheap, shit sight posts suck ass.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Gunir

AKaholic #: 188055

Who makes a precise, fine front sight that you recommend, Adam? I've turned a few OEM sights down but would rather buy one ready made.
Gunir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
boomerdog
Coming 'round the mountain

AKaholic #: 76368

Spend more time shooting, less time asking how.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Glashaus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot725 View Post
Being good with the stock AK sights is it's own reward. Amaze yourself and impress your friends.
This is a very good comment. If you can shoot well with AK iron sights at 100 meters, you should do well with just about anything. Learn to adjust the front and rear, get an RPK rear sight if you need to, have a lot of patience with yourself, shooting good groups with irons is very rewarding. I still enjoy shooting with irons although the older I get I see the value of scopes.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #11
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunir View Post
Who makes a precise, fine front sight that you recommend, Adam? I've turned a few OEM sights down but would rather buy one ready made.
I have no idea. After my issues with the KNS FSPs, I refuse to try anything else. Instead, I file some of my milspec front sight posts to a fine point at the top when I want them to be as precise as possible. It works extremely well and I highly anything made here in the U.S. will have the same quality.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
Ramey

AKaholic #: 185980

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP123 View Post
I have no idea. After my issues with the KNS FSPs, I refuse to try anything else. Instead, I file some of my milspec front sight posts to a fine point at the top when I want them to be as precise as possible. It works extremely well and I highly anything made here in the U.S. will have the same quality.
This. I’ve filed a few square post down to a finer point and it works great. Go to Lowe’s/Home Depot and buy a mini file set. Use the square metal file with a dab of oil and take your time. File all (4) sides evenly as you will have to rotate the post to re-zero and you want them all the same.
Ramey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
ouroboros
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot725 View Post
I'm going to agree with this. I've tried a number of optics, dremeling a U in a rear sight leaf, painting the front sight post, trying a thinner front sight post, using optics and red dots, etc...

...but I've been using just plain iron sights on my AK's lately and am very pleased.

Nothing wrong with other options, but it's definitely worth spending some serious time with the stock iron sights.
ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #14
LXD55
Banned

AKaholic #: 177980

Actually I have found and you can do this. The closer something is to you the bigger it is.
Put your thumb all the way out and draw it to you.
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #15
HillHopper

AKaholic #: 191569

Not real thrilled about the KNS sight post either. Mine didn't break on installment the way AdamP123's did, but I could just... well... FEEL that this wasn't very durable metal. Almost gives the impression of pot metal, or that stuff they made Matchbox cars out of. My original post is tucked away safely in my 'stuff' box against the day when I'll need it again. After reading AdamP123's post I may just swap it back in preemptively.
HillHopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

You've also got to realize that a lot has to do with focus. Things near and things afar. If you focus on the front sight, the rear sight and the target will be out of focus. If you focus on the target, both front and rear sights may be out of focus as well as the target.
Moving your eye(s) closer to the sights may very well put everything out of focus. The human eye is a convex lens. It's just how things work.
Let us know when you move onto parallax and one eye open or both eyes open okay?
Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
HEELS357

AKaholic #: 185585

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerdog View Post
Spend more time shooting, less time asking how.
Practice, practice, practice will improve your accuracy more than changing sights.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamP123 View Post
Everyone, stay the absolute fuck away from KNS front sight posts. They are complete garbage. I have had two break off in the front sight drum. Talk about a massive pain in the ass. Those pricks at KNS owe me hundreds of dollars for the time that I have wasted related to their inferior shit. Sorry for the rant. KNS and their soft, cheap, shit sight posts suck ass.
not doubting you, I know you got a shit load more guns than I do, but my experience is simply different. Got (2) of the 0.52 ball posts in guns that have about 2500 rounds through them since install, havent had a single problem thus far.

Through your experience, they just snapped under recoil?

Last edited by Sublimeon24s; 11-23-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #19
KYgunner

AKaholic #: 178120

The point of a thinner front sight post is to more precisely place it on target (think 1 moa red dot vs 3 moa red dot). Moving closer will not replicate the effect you are looking for. If you must have a thinner front sight post, file yours down like Ramey suggested.
KYgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

Quote:
Through your experience, they just snapped under recoil?
No. They snapped when I was adjusting them. I highly doubt they will have issues from use. However, I know soft, cheap metal when I encounter it. I have put four to five times the force on Arsenal sights and never had one snap. KNS front sight posts are complete and utter junk.

By the way, I have a few more that I will never use. If someone wants them, let me know and I will happily send my KNS junk to you.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #21
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Narrower sights won't help distance shooting.

Practice and getting used to the sights is the best thing to do.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #22
Bad-Element
Virtus Sola Nobilitas
Vendor

AKaholic #: 162796

Learn the rainbow arch, learn the elevation slider bar.

I do agree with rpk sights not a bad move.
MP WTS Custom Mags
EmailNick@badelementco.com
Bad-Element is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #23
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

Well, if you decide to order a really thin version, make sure that the post does Not protrude above the sight protector.

I installed a thinner post in my S&W M&P's M4's front sight and the required protrusion for 50 yard targets resulted in a very obvious bend in the metal.
Luckily the M4 never 'grew' on me-traded plus cash, post-election, for a TGI AMD-65.

Allesenogwat: In the contrast against a fairly dark background, maybe a very thin post is even harder to see.

Last edited by Laufer; 11-27-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Laufer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #24
Democrat1

AKaholic #: 2198

I found the biggest improvements in AK/SKS accuracy came from getting a really sharp picture of the front sight and consistently placing my head.

Getting a clear picture of the front sight can be gotten several ways. The way I chose was Optometric Intervention: very specialized glasses which have a master eye lens which allow my 60 year old right eye to focus on the front sight. The left lens is set up for infinity (where the target is). These glasses are expensive, but about 90% of the time my brain puts the two pictures together and I have a sharp front sight and a sharp bullseye.

There are other ways to get a sharp picture of the front sight. Lyman has a supplementary aperture which sticks to your glasses with a suction cup.

Consistently placing the head with a lot of rifles can be done by wrapping the thumb over the wrist of the stock and putting your cheek on your thumb. This results in a bruise on my cheek when I do it with a 1903 or a K31, but not with an SKS.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote