Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #1
Archerman

AKaholic #: 161985
Default CMMG Mutant?

Been eyeing these for a while, and now that the prices have come down maybe it is time to pick one up.

Does anyone have any experience negative or positive with one of these?

Thanks,
Archerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
HEELS357

AKaholic #: 185585

I had the itch while back to get one of those guns that use AK magazines and ended up getting a PTR 32. Mutants were just coming out and hadn't had a lot of reviews yet but if I had my druthers I'd trade my PTR for a Mutant. They have a bigger bolt carrier and bolt and I think are designed to handle the larger round better then most 7.62 x 39 AR's.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
juanmaryjon

AKaholic #: 191988

Iíve always been interested in the mutant, I have seen a lot of good reviews other than nutnfancy; his had all sorts of issues.

To be honest I would rather buy one of these over a US made kalash
juanmaryjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Bracky

AKaholic #: 190243

So about 2 years ago I had one of these rifles. I will say that it was very well built and I never had major function issues with it. It did give me some hiccups with GT laquered stuff but no issues with other ammo. It was accurate but did tend to really get dirty given it was a DI rifle running the dirty 7.6x39.

I ended up selling the rifle to fund a true AK pattern rifle. I stuck to the idea of if I want a hammer then buy a hammer in that to me it felt like it was a compromise. I had an AR
pattern rifle already in 5.56 and decided if I wanted a 7.62 it was going to be an Ak pattern.

So in my opinion is if you don’t have an AK then get an AK as it was designed for the 7.62. But if you perhaps already have an AK but are wanting another rifle that shared the caliber then it is a reasonable option that was well built and functioned well.

To be honest though if I was going to spend something >$1200 to get a rifle in 7.62x39 that wasn’t just a standard AK then I would probably consider a Galil at this point.
Bracky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:07 AM   #5
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

I paid $1,100 around 3 years ago for a Rock River LAR-47 and have been very pleased with it, has mild recoil and the rail is wonderful for mounting an ACOG.

I originally went through 17 surplus mags to get 10 that function perfect every time and that I now keep dedicated to this rifle. I blast whatever surplus box ammo that happens to be open that day and I do keep a spare bolt handy (never needed) as it's not the beefy CMMG design but a common AR47 style (well made by Rock River, not some cheap PSA bolt).

I can quickly swap uppers, change barrel diameter (and length) and perform all my own repairs.. someday when I have spare time, I plan to make my RDIAS function in it.

Last edited by GoNoGo; 12-09-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: forgot to add the secret subliminal message :-)
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Buy a Galil Ace OP. If you want a more modern rifle chambered in 7.62x39 that's the one you want. Because I'd always thought the Ace was kind of ugly I never liked them until seeing one in person. I picked one up and handled it at my LGS and have had different opinion of them ever since. Do youself a favor and locate one in stock at a dealer near you and go check it out in person, if you do I bet you buy it.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
Buy a Galil Ace OP. If you want a more modern rifle chambered in 7.62x39 that's the one you want. Because I'd always thought the Ace was kind of ugly I never liked them until seeing one in person. I picked one up and handled it at my LGS and have had different opinion of them ever since. Do youself a favor and locate one in stock at a dealer near you and go check it out in person, if you do I bet you buy it.
I second this. Sure, cost is higher, but I can tell you first hand, it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. Mine is butter smooth, so far, reliable, and seems to be very accurate out to 300 yards with my MRO.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Has anybody shot the Israeli Gilboa rifle ? We have a few coming in for testing and they look interesting.

Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Cold1

AKaholic #: 185273

I had a Mutant. Sold it for what I paid for it. Nothing wrong with it, accurate rifle. It does get dirty fast.

Some of the early ones had some problems I think.

I agree the ACE is a far better option but also a bit more spendy.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

I’d say the PSA KS-47 is a better rifle, I’ve never seen a Mutant run reliably.

Plus revolving the design around an AR-10 and down grading to 7.62x39 is over kill.

Also the modern AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 are more then capable.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold1 View Post
I agree the ACE is a far better option but also a bit more spendy.
Yes, at face value.. until you want to switch from a sniper barrel to a SBR on the fly,

..or overheat the barrel, swap it and continue firing,

..or drop in your registered auto sear and rock & roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
I’d say the PSA KS-47 is a better rifle, I’ve never seen a Mutant run reliably.
PSA's KS-47 is very similar to the Rock River and has many interchangeable components, I have an upper and lower that I need make time to buildout and test.
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #12
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

The Mutant is a failure and so is any other AR that takes AK mags and has a standard AR15 charging handle. I also think it's asinine to use DI for dirty-ass 7.62x39 ammo.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
trktwo

AKaholic #: 172699

for what it's worth, i have about 2000 rounds through my mutant k (sbr). i really like it, and it has been an excellent range toy. at least half of those rounds were with a bumpfire stock. weapon ran flawless on old wolf hp ammo that ive had sitting (nothing else i have would shoot it). rifle had a few ftf when new but has had no recent issues. i have an aimpoint pro on it, and it is as accurate as i am. it's very popular at the range. people who shoot it usually have positive comments (no bho? lol is common to hear).
trktwo is online now   Reply With Quote