Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #141
crotalus
Devil in Baggy Pants
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto State Armory View Post
TravinH,

Your locking latch is not out too far. I have one in my hands now, and it is the same. I will have them check the sidefolding stock mechanisms to make sure they are gtg when it comes back to us.

Thank you for your business,

Josiah
Thanks for your phone call in April
crotalus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #142
travinh

AKaholic #: 179278

I took my PSA AK to the range today and fired 100 rounds without stove pipe or fail to extract issue. The cartridges were ejected consistently at 3 o'clock.

What I did to correct my FTE and stove pipe issues was to replace the very weak extractor spring in my PSA AK by using my Rommy G AK extractor spring.

I will email PSA to ask them to send me the needed parts to correct my PSA AK issues instead of shipping it back to PSA for repairing to save PSA a few bucks on shipping cost, gunsmith labor and ammo.

BTW, the metal triangle stock look very cool, but it wag my cheek whenever it goes bang and leave bruise on my shoulder, so I switched my stock back to the poly one, no more bruise or cheek wag. It felt more comfortable to shoot with the poly stock.

Last edited by travinh; 12-06-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
travinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #143
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Good to know travinh, glad you got it shooting good. I am going to try a saiga recoil spring in mine next time i shoot, it feels alot better with a normal ak recoil spring than the one it came with. Just has that ak slam to it now. Hopefully they fix all these little issues people are having. I could see a weak extractor spring going out the door though, if they test fired a few rounds it works so they shipped it. I didnt have any issues with mine i am just swapping things i like better lol, hopefully get a chance this week to shoot a hundred or so more. Glad to know some parts are swappable. Looks like you got your muzzle brake working to!
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #144
travinh

Hi Logan,
My barrel bushing lock pin feels just like your. I end up using an AR crush washer to lock my muzzle device. I also have the same issue with my front sight adjustment block. I can not move it by hand like you described, but it move to the shooter right side slowly due to recoil and the slanted brake seems to push the muzzle to left during recoil. Since i going to replace my muzzle brake with the birdcage style, the front sight adjustment block may stay put.
How do intend to fix your front sight adjustment block?
I am planning to drop a few drops of red lock-tie in there to keep the sight adjustment block from moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan09 View Post
I took mine out today. Fired 195 rounds. Didn't have a single issue, and for that I'm happy. Recoil spring seems pretty weak. Bolt is slapping the trunnion pretty good. Seems fairly over-gassed as well.

Other issues I noticed was my sight post windage drum was moving left and right after each shot. Was wondering wtf was going on. Can move it with my thumb with little effort. Also what I didn't notice before is, it seems like someone forgot to install the plunger spring for the slant brake. I almost lost that until I realized it was un-screwing while being fired. So, looks like I'll be doing some more work to it.

All in all with the finish wear, machining marks, half ass put together for $630, I'd say it was money well Wasted. I'd much rather have a Yugo, or Romy for the same price.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #145
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

Your front sight is drifting when shooting? It should be tight enough it needs the ak front sight tool to move.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #146
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by travinh View Post
Hi Logan,
My barrel bushing lock pin feels just like your. I end up using an AR crush washer to lock my muzzle device. I also have the same issue with my front sight adjustment block. I can not move it by hand like you described, but it move to the shooter right side slowly due to recoil and the slanted brake seems to push the muzzle to left during recoil. Since i going to replace my muzzle brake with the birdcage style, the front sight adjustment block may stay put.
How do intend to fix your front sight adjustment block?
I am planning to drop a few drops of red lock-tie in there to keep the sight adjustment block from moving.
Don't go straight to lock-tite. Lock-tite is great when you REALLY don't want the SOB to move, but for an intermediate step on something you may want to adjust, I highly recommend clear nail-polish. It's enough to add some stick and friction, but can still be removed if you need to adjust the FSP a bit.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #147
travinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Your front sight is drifting when shooting? It should be tight enough it needs the ak front sight tool to move.
Yes, it’s drifting to the right while shooting.

Last edited by travinh; 12-08-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #148
logan09

AKaholic #: 22120

I threw mine in the safe after I shot it, haven't really looked at it. Honestly, it's been a long while since I messed with AKs. But, my plan is to pop the windage drum out and take a metal chisel or punch and put a raised indent/bur on it. Hopefully that'll give it enough friction that I can use a tool on it and not have it loosen on me. That and put in a spring for the plunger.

So far the only thing holding it on is the front sight post.
logan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #149
travinh

Default Receiver back-end wear

Hello FPK and Logan,

Would please check your PSA AK to see if your AK have this interesting wear and tear at the receiver back-end. It appears to me that my PSA AK does not have the proper heat treat. Therefore, the bold carrier has removed some metal of my receiver back-end. I installed the recoil buffer to reduce the wear and tear in that area.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #150
fpk762
Bronze Contributor

Looks like the bolt carrier rubbed the paint off, does the bolt move freely and slam forward as it should? Get that buffer out of there! Ak dont need them and they can create more problems then they solve. You could always pickup a recoil spring tuning pack from that seller in the market. I just bought one, its 3 different rate springs for 20 shipped. Good deal!

Heres mine, looks and feels normal and same on a saiga i have. Just the paint worn off, the main thing is make sure the bcg isnt slamming the rear to hard.

Last edited by fpk762; 12-09-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #151
billydonk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183419

All looks normal.
billydonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 AM   #152
travinh

I hope that you are correct...

On my other AKs (Rommy, Polish and PAP M85NP), they don't have this kind of metal shaving at the receiver back-end like my new PSA AK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonk View Post
All looks normal.

Last edited by travinh; 12-10-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Image
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #153
logan09

AKaholic #: 22120

Quote:
Originally Posted by travinh View Post
Hello FPK and Logan,

Would please check your PSA AK to see if your AK have this interesting wear and tear at the receiver back-end. It appears to me that my PSA AK does not have the proper heat treat. Therefore, the bold carrier has removed some metal of my receiver back-end. I installed the recoil buffer to reduce the wear and tear in that area.

I just checked mine. Not as severe as yours, but the carrier is definitely gouging out the top of the receiver. NOT just removing the paint. It's noticeably gouged and flattening the top rear of the receiver. I have never seen this on any other AKs I have. And I only have 195 rounds thru it.
logan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #154
weaselrunner

AKaholic #: 162491

Last couple times I've looked at the psa site ak complete rifle section, it seems like 4 out of every 5, if not more, are blems. Where are the first line rifles? Or are they making so many mistakes that the blems out number the 100% rifles?????
weaselrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #155
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
Last couple times I've looked at the psa site ak complete rifle section, it seems like 4 out of every 5, if not more, are blems. Where are the first line rifles? Or are they making so many mistakes that the blems out number the 100% rifles?????
Marketing scheme if you ask me. They sell them as blems for $20 bucks less and they sell like hotcakes.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #156
sdcromer
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1279

Agreed it is a marketing strategy. I talked with an employee at PSA's Greenville store and he said that if an item is not selling briskly enough they will label it "Blem" and reduce the price. They move the merchandise and preserve the higher "list price" for the future if market conditions change. I've bought two blem AR15 lowers and they are perfect.