Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241
Default Does anyone make a truly smart dog door?

All of the "smart" dog doors are nothing more than electronic dog doors that open when presented with a RFID tag. You can set them in only, out only, in and out, or off, but you have to be physically present.

What I would like is a truly smart dog door. Keep the RFID tags, but actually track and ID the dogs entering and exiting. Give me an app on my phone to control the dog door even if I'm half way around the planet, like i can already do with my alarm system, cameras, lights, thermostat, etc...

A few different things have prompted this, for starters I don't feel comfortable leaving the dogs out while we're gone for hours. We live in the woods, and there are things in the woods that would eat my dogs as a snack. Likewise I don't like keeping them cooped up while we're gone either. An old fashioned dog door presents a couple problems, they would be in and out a hundred times a day dragging in dirt and sticks and leaves, etc... also the thing trying to eat tyem could follow them inside and eat them in the house.

The current so called "smart" dog doors don't properly adress either issue. If a door could be programed to only let them out once an hour, but let them back in no matter what, that would keep them from running in and out all the time. Critters or predators could also follow them through.

Remote control would give me control if it's raining and I don't want them out, or if someone is coming to tye house, I could let them out and lock them out. If I recieved a smoke or CO alarm, I could remotely let them out and pregent them from coming back in, etc...

Follow through is still a problem, but I feel like I could mitigate that with a short run or a double door system.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
yugom70a

AKaholic #: 182048

I've not seen one that will do all that. There are a few that combine RFID chip with a mat that weighs the pet. This keeps someone from taking the collar and using it to gain entry.
yugom70a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
flopshot
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 5483

maybe a smarter dog is the answer. my four come and go at will with no issues. key element is a fenced yard.

IanMor:
"I am a power mad, intemperate mod that needs replacing immediately if not sooner. That way I can wade into arguments without restraint and not be judged for being a mod with an opinion."
flopshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
albino
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 156525

With the way technology is going, I'm sure it won't be long before they have dog doors that have retinal scans, and are paw pad activated.

If an RFID chip on their collar will activate the door, why do you have to physically be present?

My biggest fear of an automated dog door would be mechanical failure.

"Yes, Sarah Brady is doing God's work. Yes, in the end America must follow the way of other democracies and disarm." - Charles Krauthammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Perhaps you were too busy fapping to notice, but the "teat" was pixeled out . . .
albino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!

AKaholic #: 182543

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
, why do you have to physically be present?
i think he meant to be able to adjust its settings- he would have to be present to change entry/exit settings

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
albino
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I found this article, but can't find where to buy it.

http://gadgetsin.com/pawdoor-app-ena...microphone.htm

Quote:
The PawDoor is a smart app-enabled pet door that measures 13 x 15 x 3.5 inches. The pet door features built-in WiFi connectivity in order to join in your local network, while built-in speaker, microphone and camera let you interact with your pet via your smartphone from anywhere, and custom application allows you to remotely control the pet door. When your cat or dog is waiting by the door, PawDoor sends your smartphone notifications in order that you can remotely let them out. Moreover, its application log data to track your pet’s habits.

"Yes, Sarah Brady is doing God's work. Yes, in the end America must follow the way of other democracies and disarm." - Charles Krauthammer

Quote:
Perhaps you were too busy fapping to notice, but the "teat" was pixeled out . . .
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #7
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
i think he meant to be able to adjust its settings- he would have to be present to change entry/exit settings
Exactly.

Changing the settings remotely, and tracking which side of the door each dog is on remotely has some huge benefits, to me anyway.

Since I do heat my home with a hearth stove, fire, CO, and smoke are real dangers my dogs could face. As it stands I will be alerted along with 911 if those alarms are activated. If I had a smart dog door as I describe, i could quickly check to see if the dogs are in or out, and set tye door as an exit only if one of tye dogs was still in. I couldn't make the dog leave, but if they did leave, I could prevent them from re entering.

Similarly, if a storm system popped up all of the sudden and I didn't want to have to clean up wet muddy paw prints shen I got home, I could check to see where the dogs are and set tye door to enter only if one were outside. Again, I can't make them come in, but if they come in, I could prevent them from going back out.

If I had a plumber or electrician coming to the house, my dogs would want to play with him. They would bring him toys, and maybe steal his tools. With a smart dog door and app as I describe, I could set the door as an exit only an hour before the scheduled repair. After the worker leaves I could then switch it back to in & out.

The scenarios are endless. I'm honestly pretty surprised something like this isn't already out there.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
I found this article, but can't find where to buy it.

http://gadgetsin.com/pawdoor-app-ena...microphone.htm
That's a start. Now combine this with the existing RFID doors and you might have something.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
albino
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Looks like this has what you want, but not sure it's available yet even though they say it was to be on the market this last summer.
https://petsplusmag.com/news/press-r...-pet-door.html
I guess dog size would be a factor in this too.

Quote:
The pet door utilizes microchip-reading technology meaning it only responds to the resident pet(s) microchip or RFID-collar tag ensuring unwanted animals are kept out.
Quote:
The Microchip Pet Door Connect (MSRP $200, plus $65 for the Hub) is an advancement of the technology found in earlier SureFlap pet doors. The Pet Door Connect not only limits access to pets with correspondingly programmed microchips, it will also allow pet owners to stay connected even when they are not at home.

Designed for cats and small dogs, the Pet Door Connect now wirelessly connects to the Hub, which in turn is connected to the home router, allowing pet owners to monitor and control when pets come and go via the Sure Petcare app on their smartphone. The app will allow pet owners to control and access an array of information about their pets comings and goings.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
gowking
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 25340

https://www.surepetcare.com/en-us/pe...t-door-connect

WTS - AK & Galil parts

WTS - AK furniture

Bashing out AKs one at a time
gowking is offline   Reply With Quote