Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226
Default All About Egypt's Maadi MISR/ARM/RML/RPM

Since often questions are asked about it, we figured it was time to post another video on the Egyptian Maadi MISR/ARM AK variant.

https://youtu.be/ruPE4oFSXbI

Actually, we recorded this one back around the holidays and now seemed like a good time to publish it since we haven't put out an AK video in a minute.
It covers the establishment of the AKM Factory #54 production line outside of Cairo by the Soviets in the late 1960s, the falling apart of Russia's relationship with Egypt in the early 1970s, and how Egypt drifted closer to the West in the early 1980s.

Then we go into the various semi-auto Maadis imported into the USA. These include the original (preban) Steyr ARM, the early postban ARM and RML brought in by Intrac and PARS, and the various MISR rifles imported by Century Arms in the late '90s.

I show my own Intrac ARM with Egyptian 'paratrooper' side folding buttstock and original mags and sling. Also we bring out for comparison a Russian AKM built from a 1973 kit on a Childers receiver.

Have a great Mother's Day weekend,
Jay & Misha,
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
djnewman001

AKaholic #: 189715

Great info, as always.
djnewman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
Burgher

AKaholic #: 195397

I haven’t watched the video yet so I apologize if you touched on this, but why do the preban Steyr Maadis go for stupid, and I mean stupid money? They seem to go for more than milled polytechs that are new in box. Was the supply just much lower than even polytechs before 1989? I understand the whole appeal of them, Russian tooling, as close as you can get to an AKM, etc.... but for the money these seem to go on GB I scratch my head.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
djnewman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher View Post
I havenít watched the video yet so I apologize if you touched on this, but why do the preban Steyr Maadis go for stupid, and I mean stupid money? They seem to go for more than milled polytechs that are new in box. Was the supply just much lower than even polytechs before 1989? I understand the whole appeal of them, Russian tooling, as close as you can get to an AKM, etc.... but for the money these seem to go on GB I scratch my head.
It's a mix of everything. there were not a ton imported, red dawn, Russian tooling, etc etc. He touches on that's in the video, the fact that the asking price is so high but we don't know what/if they actually sell for.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
Burgher

AKaholic #: 195397

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewman001 View Post
It's a mix of everything. there were not a ton imported, red dawn, Russian tooling, etc etc. He touches on that's in the video, the fact that the asking price is so high but we don't know what/if they actually sell for.
Just watched the video, I should have figured he was gonna go into detail about everything including other prebans. Great video btw, Misha. I recall watching a video of yours saying that you prefer the SAR-1 to the post ban Maadi. Still true? I wonder how much, if any closer to the Russian AKM the post ban Maadis are than the SAR/Romak/Wum series are. You made an interesting point in the video about how Russia help set up shop in several countries initially, including Romania.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
AGG

AKaholic #: 166874

Excellent video!!!

Tony
AGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 AM   #7
But Its A Dry Heat

AKaholic #: 195453

Great video/info Mishaco.

I love my Misr S/A, nice to know some history about it. Only would wish it was threaded.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." ó George Patton

Personal just say no list.

1. Dick's
2. Nike
3. Levi's
4. More to come later I am sure.
But Its A Dry Heat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
Alias
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172406

Well done, Misha. I can still remember that about 3-4 years ago, the MISR S/A can still be had for about $300-$400 since many uninitiated have mistaken them for more undesirable MISR 10 or the 90.
Alias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Well done, as always.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #10
boohooblues

AKaholic #: 189806

I bought my first AK (Intrac ACC) for $400 new in box back when, didn't know what I had and sold it Seeing pictures I took of it in immaculate condition brand new with inscriptions and accessories makes me sick. Fast forward to wanting one again, bought a MISR S/A and it was VERY nice. It continually bothered me on not having enough meat to thread for a muzzle nut, etc. Sold it and now have a full Arabic Marked kit waiting to be built by Two Rivers!

Love your videos and insight. Thanks for sharing!
boohooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #11
Bubba H
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184894

Good video with a good rundown on the Egyptian imports. I appreciate this video. My first AK is an Egyptian MISR S/A and has been a flawless weapon in my experience with it. I bought it new in 1999 and won't willingly part with it. It doesn't have threads or a functional bayonet lug but it operates as good as any other AK I've ever shot. It's currently at about +/-5,000 rounds and has never malfunctioned. Not the prettiest gun in the safe, but damn sure the most reliable one.
Bubba H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #12
djnewman001

Working to deban my Maadi as we speak. Damn that mil stock is tight. I probably should have took a bit of sandpaper to it but its 90% in now so no coming out.

Mish you always do great rundowns. True asset to the AK community.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #13
mishaco
Curio & Relic

Thanks all....

And be careful on that 90% in stock. Sure you can tap it and what-not, but don't resort to using super-duper force to get it in that last 10%.
You don't want to bugger something up back there.

To get my folding stock to line up completely so the screw could thread in, i had to use a bit of time with a round file. It was just ever so slightly off.
Egypt didn't make these things with perfect tolerances. My gas tube is a tribute to that lol.

But all that said, the Maadi ARM/MISR seems to work very reliably. I've heard of few duds.

Maybe one day i'll put the bayo lug wings back on mine..but its not a big priority.

Got a big AK video coming up for you all Friday...its one from the archives, so it is longer than we typically make them these days.
Still, after putting about 4 hours into making it, didn't want to waste it by not publishing haah.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
greendevil41

AKaholic #: 8106

Timely video as I just bought another de-banned '95 Intrac one with the correct Egyptian military butt stock already installed. The bayonet lugs were hit with the grinder but fortunately they were lazy so the bayonet still locks on. I did a double take on that gas tube fit as well but both of mine are the same. I still much prefer the way it looks in this configuration vs. the ban compliant version. I'll try and get some pics up for you guys still on the fence about getting one of these things.
greendevil41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
djnewman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Thanks all....

And be careful on that 90% in stock. Sure you can tap it and what-not, but don't resort to using super-duper force to get it in that last 10%.

To get my folding stock to line up completely so the screw could thread in, i had to use a bit of time with a round file. It was just ever so slightly off.
Egypt didn't make these things with perfect tolerances. My gas tube is a tribute to that lol.

But all that said, the Maadi ARM/MISR seems to work very reliably. I've heard of few duds.

Maybe one day i'll put the bayo lug wings back on mine..but its not a big priority.

Got a big AK video coming up for you all Friday...its one from the archives, so it is longer than we typically make them these days.
Still, after putting about 4 hours into making it, didn't want to waste it by not publishing haah.
Mish,

I've been taking my time getting the stock in,only reason I didn't pull it back out and sand it was because I cant get it to come out easily. The thumbhole was easily removed with a wack from my rubber mallet on the grip, the military stock has no good way to remove it. Ive just been using a little grease and letting it soak.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

Great video!

But there is one mystery that I could never solve. Most Egyptian AKs have Romanian markings on the receiver and on the rear sight. Why?
Nobody knows, even Egyptians.
Machak_Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
geefal

AKaholic #: 184987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher View Post
I havenít watched the video yet so I apologize if you touched on this, but why do the preban Steyr Maadis go for stupid, and I mean stupid money? They seem to go for more than milled polytechs that are new in box. Was the supply just much lower than even polytechs before 1989?.

FAR FAR less original Steyr Maadis then any other commercial AK. Polytechs are 10 to 1 to a Steyr
geefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #18
djnewman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Thanks all....

Mish,

I have a question about removing the upper handguard wood. Is there a trick to it? Seems like it's in there tighter than any AK I have owned.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #19
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnewman001 View Post
Mish,

I have a question about removing the upper handguard wood. Is there a trick to it? Seems like it's in there tighter than any AK I have owned.
I’ve noticed that on some gas tube/wood combos the wood twists off more easily in one direction compared to another. However it seems to be random depending on the gas tube or wood.

If you have a vice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4aTqQOZf8

If you don’t have a vice and it’s stuck as hell on there, using a rubber mallet to hit the corner of the wood until it rotates out has worked for me. I’m also curious to see what technique Misha uses.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #20
boohooblues

AKaholic #: 189806

Just put these new decals on the 4Runner this afternoon! My full Arabic fixed stock kit is currently at Two Rivers!

boohooblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #21
mata777

AKaholic #: 169960

My MISR S/A (my first ever ak bought during the clinton awb) runs like a freaking sewing machine. Thanks for the video mishaco!
mata777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 AM   #22
djnewman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Iíve noticed that on some gas tube/wood combos the wood twists off more easily in one direction compared to another. However it seems to be random depending on the gas tube or wood.

If you have a vice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4aTqQOZf8

If you donít have a vice and itís stuck as hell on there, using a rubber mallet to hit the corner of the wood until it rotates out has worked for me. Iím also curious to see what technique Misha uses.
Thanks I actually ended up getting it off later that day. I did the old gas tube in the freezer trick and she came off easy peasy.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 AM   #23
mishaco
Curio & Relic

I've more or less perfected my gas tube furniture technique these days. I cant even count the number I've done now.

I use a pair of vice grips that are basically flat jawed with only very gentle teeth.

I clamp them onto the end of the gas tube that goes into the receiver. I get them just tight enough so there's no play, but far from the point where anything would get bent/crushed or even marked up.
Then i put on a pair of grippy gloves..you know the kind with rubber on the palm and fingers.

Next i sit down, placing the vice grip handles between my legs and the opposit end being supported by my left leg.

Then i just grab on with my gloved hands and twist.

To date, never met an upper HG that won't come off using this method; even with AKSU 'Krink' ones which are more difficult thanks to the much shorter tube.

Also many times, the vice grips aren't even required, and just grippy gloves give enough leverage.

And speaking to the Maadi lug talk, mine too holds a bayonet pretty securely. You have to really pull down on it to get it to kind of wiggle off. For display and even moving around with it though? nah its on there fine.
Same goes for my SAR-1. In fact, it has even more of a wing lip there.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #24
djnewman001

I think that shellac that they used on the factory hanguards was just applied to thick and it kind of glued itself in there pretty good. I havent had any issues with other AKs it just seemed that this Maadi glued itself together haha. The freezer did the trick though.