Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
greasepencil

AKaholic #: 184148
Default AK Rifle Import laws?

A friend of mine just got one of the new Polish Lynx pistols, well, I replied, "hey nice pistol, can't wait until they import some rifles"...which lead to another guy who said you couldn't import one, which leads me to my question(s).

What exactly are the import legalities of imported AK rifles? Another guy is telling me that you can't import assembled rifles, basically only parts kits, or parts kits plus 80% receivers. He goes on to say that WASR's come in as single stacks that are opened up (knew this) and Arsenals are finished stateside.

Can anyone clarify the rifle importation thing for me?
greasepencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

there are multiple threads on this topic and it is even discussed in the Lynx thread when Atlantic and WBP both provided info.
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
HardyKruger

AKaholic #: 195821

He's more or less correct.

Rifles have to be imported in a sporting configuration due to the Bush 1989 ban. WASR and Zastava rifles are re-done stateside to be what you'd expect an AK to be.

Bits and pieces can be done a little differently, and I believe there's a ban on military rifle barrels being imported. However, most are just 'finished' here in the US with muzzle threads and so on.
HardyKruger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
run an gun

AKaholic #: 196608

what about the vepr fm. seems to be all done at molot? i know the furniture and trigger are u.s.
run an gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by run an gun View Post
what about the vepr fm. seems to be all done at molot? i know the furniture and trigger are u.s.
Either came as a bare action or was shipped with a firewood stock
Old 06-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Billlyb

AKaholic #: 185161

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
Either came as a bare action or was shipped with a firewood stock
Meaning no bolt an junk type of stock ?????
Billlyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Just like the now expired domestic AW ban, certain features on a rifle make it "non-sporting" and un-importable. Ability to accept a "high capacity" mag is one, pistol grip, threaded muzzle, etc. To get a rifle in they either make it a single stack to get around the mag capacity or delete certain features. If one was to import a bare action (no pistol grip or stock) or install a junk conventional stock for import then it would be a "sporting" rifle. Once here, it gets converted to final sale config.

Same thing with handguns, there is a point system which is why some small guns like the Walther PPK are banned from import and things like the Tokarev get a new manual safety added. Things like long bbls, safeties, and adjustable sights make enough points to be OK as they are "target pistols" versus "Saturday Night Specials".

Back in the day I remember reading an article on Taurus model 85 snubbies. Seems Taurus in barazil ships them to Miami with a long bbl attached and a crate of snubbie bbls is also sent. Taurus in Miami then pulls the long bbls, attaches the 2" ones, then sends the long ones back to be re-used on the next batch!
KernelKrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

It's really not the ability to accept magazines over 10 round, but the ability to accept MILITARY magazines over 10 rounds that is banned.

If it deemed there are aren't readily available military magazines over 10 rounds that fit a certain rifle, the maker (or somebody else) might make larger magazines that do fit, that aren't military magazines.

I have seen factory 30 round Saiga magazines and 15 round Vepr magazines and then the 20 round M77 magazines.

Those are all double stack magazine rifles too.

The Walther PPK can be imported for law enforcement sale and later sold to the public.

I bought Tokarev's in the 1980's and early 1990's that have no additional safety.

I'm not sure that is always a requirement, or something done to import under some other type firearm import permit.

The original Taurus 85's were imported with 3 inch barrels and some were changed to 2 inch barrels in the US.

Later the ATF allowed the revolvers to be imported without barrels and the barrels were installed in the US.

The L1A1 rifles that were imported during the 1994 ban for, "law enforcement" sales were allowed to be sold to the public, after the ban ended in 2004, with all imported parts, flash hiders and sear cut receivers, since these were legal semi-auto's that were not, "assembled" in the US, they don't have to meet 922r.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
I bought Tokarev's in the 1980's and early 1990's that have no additional safety.

I'm not sure that is always a requirement, or something done to import under some other type firearm import permit.
"Safety protocols" were added to the "required for importation" checklist sometime after that. This requires all handguns ( yes, revolvers are included ) have a manual safety of some sort.

That's why we get the fu**ed up Webley revolvers with the absolutely heart-breaking manual safeties added to them.

This ruling is also responsible for the latest variant of Toks with manual safeties.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote