Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
MikeManassas

AKaholic #: 184442
Default The Pros and Cons of PayPal

Should you use PayPal for Marketplace purchases, or not? It probably depends on what items you are selling and the amount of money involved. PayPal's acceptable use policy prohibits transactions of "ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories", but they do not explicitly define what certain firearm parts or accessories are prohibited.

I have been sending PayPal invoices for grips, stocks, and forearms to buyers for a couple of years and have never had an issue with PayPal. I always include a description of the item(s) on the invoice that is complete enough so that the buyer knows exactly what he is paying for, without using the words AK-47 or assault rifle.

Paying with PayPal - When a buyer posts an I'll Take It I send a PayPal invoice to his email address. When the buyer makes Payment I receive a notice from PayPal that it is OK to ship. I buy and print postage (at a discount) right from my PayPal account. PayPal then sends USPS tracking information to the buyer. Both the buyer and seller have a complete audit trail of the transaction.

Never use PayPal gift payment to pay for items you purchase. You do not get any buyer protection with gift payments. If you are concerned that PayPal may not protect your purchase then use your credit card to pay the PayPal invoice! Your credit card company will protect your purchase.

As a seller I find the convenience of using PayPal well worth the 3.5% fee.

Cost Comparison for a $50 Sale - I sell a $50 item that weights 6 ounces. The cost comparison between PayPal and a USPS Money Order is:

PayPal:
PayPal fee: 2.9% + $.30 = $1.75
First Class Parcel Postage: $2.60 (buy online with discount)
Total cost: $4.35
Postal Money Order:
Money Order fee: $1.25 (paid by buyer)
First Class Parcel Postage: $3.14 (not available online from USPS)
Total cost: $4.39
Now a $500 purchase of a firearm is a different story. The PayPal fee (if they even permitted it) is $14.80 compared to a Postal Money Order for $1.75
MikeManassas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Related: FYI - Paypal options and what they mean to you - AK Files
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
gibsonsg05

AKaholic #: 175861

This might sound dumb, but, how do you get the first class postage online with a discount? The USPS website only lets you choose Priority Mail, and they no longer offer a discount for purchasing online. Is there a better option?
gibsonsg05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
MikeManassas

Not dumb at all. You are correct that the USPS only discounts Priority Mail, but they have an agreement with PayPal to discount First Class mail also, probably because of the volume of business they do. You have to buy the postage from your PayPal account to get the discount, but it works just like the USPS Click N' Ship site - plus you get tracking included.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
gibsonsg05

AKaholic #: 175861

Awesome, I'll try that next time, thanks!!!!
gibsonsg05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
stalker1
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182116

I don't. No credit cards either.uspmo or cashiers check. Don't disagree it's just what I do.
stalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
weaselrunner

AKaholic #: 162491

We will not due p/p. At one time I was selling some things on ebay and set up a pay pal account. After it got hacked twice, we dropped it and will not do it ever again.
weaselrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #8
MI redneck
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176975

Screw pay pal!

I'll pay a lil extra and now even pony up the 6 bucks for 2 day priority to send a USPS MO.

If a seller states "pay pal only", sorry, we can't do business.

But, to each their own.

All American countryboy
Red neck
White ass
Blue collar
MI redneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #9
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselrunner View Post
We will not due p/p. At one time I was selling some things on ebay and set up a pay pal account. After it got hacked twice, we dropped it and will not do it ever again.
Related: Ebay member? Change your passwords - AK Files

Like as not, "hacks" are usually caused by folks not choosing a proper password or other behavioral faux pas' vis a vis security.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
MikeManassas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI redneck View Post
Screw pay pal!

I'll pay a lil extra and now even pony up the 6 bucks for 2 day priority to send a USPS MO.

But, to each their own.
See, that 's what makes our way of life so great. We can have diverse values and opinions and still get along. You convinced me. I will accept USPS MOs for anything I sell... but I still prefer PayPal.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard

AKaholic #: 328

Paypal makes an unauthorized withdrawal from your account for a fraudulent purchase.

What is your recourse?

A. If you had an account balance, you have ZERO recourse. Paypal just steals your money and you can suck an egg.
B. If you had a zero account balance, and an attached checking account, you can have the anti-fraud people at your bank reverse the fraudulent transaction - but you're done with Paypal.

You e-mail paypal and say "WTF?"

You get a robo-response unrelated to anything.

Repeat 10x. But don't use the "fucking moron" or then the "security" people will tell you how unprofessional you are being in complaining about them stealing from you.

Call your bank and have the ACH reversed.

Paypal steals it again.

Call your bank and have the ACH reversed and Paypal blocked.

Paypal pouts and won't let you close your account, claiming the amount your bank refunded you for the fraudulent withdrawal is somehow theirs.

FUCK Paypal - I will not support their criminal fraud.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
MikeManassas

So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
MikeManassas

My credit union offers a service called PopMoney that lets you send/receive funds from/to your bank account using only your email address or mobile phone number. The fees are reasonable, $.95 for up to $2000 per day if the sender is paying or $1000 if the receiver is requesting payment. The transfer is bank-to-bank and sender/receiver do not have any information about the other person's account.

PopMoney only acts as the agent until both banks acknowledge completion of the transfer. If the transfer fails the money is returned to the sender's account. Like USPS MOs there is no buyer/seller protection, only a guarantee on the funds transfer.

I liked the idea that the money is directly transferred bank-to-bank, unlike with PayPal which holds the fund in your PayPal account. This seemed to be a good alternative to USPS MOs or PayPal for sales between individuals... until I read the fine print.

PopMoney prohibits use for purchase of firearms, firearm parts or accessories. I guess they feel they need to prevent the sale of those dangerous rifle receiver rivets . Even eBay allows the sale of certain firearm parts and accessories. It looks like for now you are going to have to keep trotting down to the post office to buy USPS MOs.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #14
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Haha, your assumption is correct.

Also, going in my signature.

Quote:
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
Weaponmark
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 176307

Let's look at the part you left out in the OP.

When you offer all forms of payment, and 90% of the buyers pick paypal, your sales will be lower if you don't accept it.

Want to save money building AND have the most authentic looking selector markings?

CLICK HERE!

LOOKING TO BUY: T2 OR T3 SOVIET THREADED AK47 BARREL

WTB APEX PURCHASED POLISH NSP3 SCOPE MARKED AKMSL PC00053 NrL-90058. It's out there!!!

Weaponmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
0DARK30
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169651

Knocks on wood * * *

Many many years of flawless paypal transactions seling and buying, through here, ebay, gunbroker, other places, never a reason to reconsider.

Man I hate hearing bros have suffered.
0DARK30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
MikeManassas

PayPal no longer requires you to have an account in order to pay. You can pay with a credit or debit card without an account. Visa will protect your purchase if you purchase with a credit card. I don't recommend making online purchases with a debit card.

I tried it by purchasing something through PayPal with my Visa card without logging into my PayPal account. The purchase appeared on my Visa account, but not on my PayPal .

This may be an alternative for those who do not like PayPal. Now if you don't use credit cards, or checks, or money orders, or cash, or barter, or wampum then I am out of suggestions.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #18
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama

AKaholic #: 177977

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI redneck View Post
Screw pay pal!

But, to each their own.
this ^^

///
Magaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post
autonomic nervous system:

The part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, digestive processes and ordering AK 47 magazines.
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #19
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

Paypal is very anti gun and will not honor anything gun related. Their language is very obtuse and if it includes a firearm or high capacity magazine they may choose not to honor the transaction.

I get "phishing" emails claiming my account has been account on what seems like a daily basis. I've notified Paypal half a dozen times but they keep coming. They used to be easy to spot because of simple spelling mistakes but the crooks are catching on and some of the links now take you to paypal's website...
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #20
slmjim
At the CK interface

AKaholic #: 173895

I was an early adopter of PayPal. Also an early hack victim, so I killed my paypal acct. years ago. Never regretted it. Was a friggin' nightmare to get corrected not just in hassle, but in time spent.

If I had it to do over again I'd run a completely separate checking acct. with a bare minimum balance exclusively for PayPal use.

Good Shootin'
slmjim
((DB)) #7.62 Mooselimb Mudslimer

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved
at the same level of thinking we were at
when we created them."
Albert Einstein

“The refusal of the Western elite class
to protect their nations from jihadist infiltration
is the biggest betrayal in history.”

Serge Trifkovic
slmjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
grantw1221

AKaholic #: 167806

Watch out selling stuff with PayPal. Sold a Springfield 1911 to a guy, he received the gun, then initiated a buyer complaint saying I sent him the wrong item. I emailed texts, emails, etc to PayPal customer support, they told me to pound sand. The guy got his money back for the gun, and since I had already taken the money out of PayPal, they put my account in the negative. I had already told Wells Fargo to block PayPal unless I called and authorized it, so they couldn't take it out of my account. Did that when I had fraudulent charges pop up. So now I get calls a couple times a year about paying back the $800 this nut job stole from me. Fuck PayPal.
grantw1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #22
paddyfritz
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156224

The Canadian banks offer email interac. It has taken over as the standard here. Unfortunately, I dont think its used in the USA yet, and of course eBay does not allow it.
I hope it becomes standard in the US so paypal can F@@K OFF. They suck.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #23
boris&natasha

AKaholic #: 182951

FUCK PAYPAL!!! right in there ass.
boris&natasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
Crazyvwobie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 161035

Been using PayPal 13 years and never had an issue , screw money orders , I'm busy enough and rather not waste my time at the post office, always a long line. No protection from a money order , wait until you get ripped off , you have to fly to the state the fraud was committed , good luck with that .
Crazyvwobie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #25
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Formula given to me by a customer and now on my website - along with the coding for MSExcel:

PayPal Fees – An Explanation
The PayPal fee is always 3% plus, and fees are calculated using a simple algebraic formula.
PayPal price “y” determined when price plus shipping is represented by “x”.
y=(x*0.03)+(x+0.3)

Further explained, the PayPal price is the total plus 3%, plus an additional $0.30 on top of that.

Using MS Excel the formula would look like this: =SUM(0.03*B3)+0.3
In this case cell “B3” was the cell I used to input the cash price plus shipping.

For my benefit I have an additional cell to show the exact fee. I want the customer to decide if the fee is steep enough to warrant a money order or cheque.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #26
Rforbus
Forum Bosche
Vendor

AKaholic #: 73701

Quote:
PayPal no longer requires you to have an account in order to pay. You can pay with a credit or debit card without an account. Visa will protect your purchase if you purchase with a credit card. I don't recommend making online purchases with a debit card.

I tried it by purchasing something through PayPal with my Visa card without logging into my PayPal account. The purchase appeared on my Visa account, but not on my PayPal .

This may be an alternative for those who do not like PayPal. Now if you don't use credit cards, or checks, or money orders, or cash, or barter, or wampum then I am out of suggestions.
I am considering such a thing as many people prefer to use creditcards. I will not place a shopping cart on my website since in spite of security software I am very leery regarding creditcard transactions through my website and most websites.

Ing. Robert Forbus, International
Tools & Solutions For The Safe Disassembly & Assembly Of Your Kalashnikova Variant
Email - Robert.Forbus@robertforbus.com
Please do not use the PM system here to contact me!
Website - https://www.robertforbus.com

Tennessee Firearms Association member
Gun Owners of America member
N̶R̶A̶ ̶M̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ (that's right - those mofos sold us out)
Patriot Guard Rider

Ignorance is the absence of knowledge...Stupidity is a commitment to ignorance. The first is easily remedied with facts...The second cannot be fixed...
Rforbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #27
ussprinceton2004

AKaholic #: 190479

if you're an eBay shopper like me, most only accept PayPal
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #28
10acresandrocks
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185701

In the beginning, PayPal let me run $2000.00 through the credit card and then no more until I opened a separate bank account, just for them. Screw that.
Have since mostly avoided EBay since then and don't buy in the market place here if that is the only option.
10acresandrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #29
ussprinceton2004

AKaholic #: 190479

Does anybody know if there is PayPal in the Philippines?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #30
MikeManassas

I had a LOT of problems with eBay and completely stopped selling anything through them about a year ago. Since then PayPal spun off in to a separate company (I think they want to be more like a bank), and I have not had any problem with them at all.

I suspect that most of the PayPal hassles that folks had were really eBay policy hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10acresandrocks View Post
In the beginning, PayPal let me run $2000.00 through the credit card and then no more until I opened a separate bank account, just for them. Screw that.
Have since mostly avoided EBay since then and don't buy in the market place here if that is the only option.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
10acresandrocks
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185701

My experience was 10 years ago or more. Left a bad taste in my mouth and can't get rid of it. Want to use PayPal for CC verification, fine... but gift or what ever else they offer, naaaa.
10acresandrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #32
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
I had a LOT of problems with eBay and completely stopped selling anything through them about a year ago. Since then PayPal spun off in to a separate company (I think they want to be more like a bank), and I have not had any problem with them at all.

I suspect that most of the PayPal hassles that folks had were really eBay policy hassles.
Totally agree, Ebay can be an ass sometimes.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #33
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyvwobie View Post
Been using PayPal 13 years and never had an issue , screw money orders , I'm busy enough and rather not waste my time at the post office, always a long line. No protection from a money order , wait until you get ripped off , you have to fly to the state the fraud was committed , good luck with that .

I don't like USPS MOs, too much of a PITA for me. First off I live like 30 minutes from a PO. Then I get off work and have to try to get there before 4pm. Or get there saturday before noon. Too bad the USPS never devised a online payment system.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #34
MikeManassas

You are in luck. PayPal is available in 202 countries and 25 currencies, including the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
Does anybody know if there is PayPal in the Philippines?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #35
MikeManassas

I have received 220 PayPal payments with not a single problem, and 2 MOs with a total of 2 problems. I live about 20 minutes from a small rural PO. If someone sends a MO for more than $5 they might not have the cash on hand and I have to make a trip to the bank. You also might get a Walmart or Piggly Wiggly MO which the PO will not cash anyway.

With PayPal you get confirmation that you have received payment, the shipping address is confirmed, you buy and print your postage (at a discount) right from PayPal, and you can schedule a free pickup of the package. No 40 minute round trip to the PO.

PayPal may not be perfect but I think a lot of the complaints that people have are from back in the dark ages. If you haven't tried PayPal since they separated from eBay you may be surprised at the improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
I don't like USPS MOs, too much of a PITA for me. First off I live like 30 minutes from a PO. Then I get off work and have to try to get there before 4pm. Or get there saturday before noon. Too bad the USPS never devised a online payment system.