Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807
Default More pictures of PSAK47

As some of you have seen, Palmetto State Armory are starting to put out their PSAK47 second generation. Rob Ski has got one and he’s putting it through the 5K round grinder. Aside from his videos, there hasn’t been very much about these rifles online but lots of people saying they’re interested. I’ve managed to get my hands on a couple of them, so I figured I’d post some pictures and my thoughts and maybe help somebody make up their mind if they’re on the fence. While the experience wasn’t without any hiccups, overall, I’m pleased with these guns and my experience with PSA.

The first PSAK47 I got had a missing rivet in the trigger guard . I probably should have noticed that at my FFL. I was just too damn excited. It wasn’t until I got home and gave it a good once-over that I spotted the missing rivet. I called Palmetto State and got the RMA ball rolling. That same afternoon the rifle was at UPS and on its way back to them (shipping charges covered). The RMA process was pretty painless. It was less than a week before they had me squared away and I had my replacement in my hands.

(missing rivet in trigger guard)

Now in front of me I have both a PSAK47 with Redwood furniture and one dressed up with Magpul polymer bits. The first thing I noticed about the guns is that they were basically dripping oil. Rob Ski was right about the oil guy at Palmetto State. That guy is definitely going for employee of the month.

(2 rifles from Palmetto state, well oiled)

Cosmetically, these rifles are very nice. Rivets are now all present and accounted for, well formed, and sit flush against the surface. The aren’t any canted parts. You can pull a piece of thread across the top of the weapon and see the front sight, gas block, rear sight, dust cover, and stock are all in a straight line. Up front, I looked for the gap between the muzzle break and the front sight RobSki had noted. I measured the gap to be 1.17mm on the first gun and 0.30mm on the second. I pulled the gas tubes and looked down them and they are uniform and symmetrical. The gas tube levers themselves were easy to flip up and didn’t require a tool for more leverage. On the gun with the wood furniture, I found a couple barcodes and stamps inside the handguard. Its says Boyds (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/) made it in Sept 2015. The wood is maple which has been stained a nice reddish brown.

If you look hard enough, you can find things that could be improved upon. One example would be a small gap, 1mm, between the wooden stock and the rear of the receiver. The gap doesn’t hurt anything, and the stock doesn’t wobble. And let’s not forget, this is an AK, afterall. Some people would bitch if it didn’t have a couple little birthmarks.

That brings me to the cleaning rod. I’m still scratching my head about why they included it. The base-model PSAK47 with polymer furniture has a trap door in the stock where the rest of the cleaning kit would fit (I didn’t see a kit in there, though). The model with the wooden stock doesn’t have the trap door compartment. And the models with Magpul bits have a compartment in the pistol grip where it could fit. So what’s the cleaning rod for? It does give the front of the gun a more complete look. And its nice to have around if you need to remove a stuck case.

(rivet detail on rifle #1)

(rivet detail rifle #2)

(1.17mm gap behind muzzle break, rifle #1)

(0.3mm gap behind muzzle break, rifle #2)

(both rifles are straight. No canted parts)

(gas tubes are not all wonky looking)

As far as function, both of the guns are great. The action is smooth; the bolt doesn’t hang anywhere when you rack the charging handle. The trigger pull feels pretty long. My index finger says its a 2 pound trigger. I don’t have a scale to accurately measure it. I can say that its very smooth, without burrs or grinding. Palmetto State went with a 2-hook trigger, for anybody wondering. From what I’ve read online, the RAS47 and IOInc POS are shipping with 1-hook triggers.

When I got these toys out to the range, I found that they both had come already sighted in. My poor sight tool didn’t even get to come out of the bag. Both weapons shot better than I did. I was eeking out 2.5” groups with iron sights from a standing position about 40 yards back, which is as good as I can do even with a sub-moa AR-15. I didn’t have an optic to try out.

(some rifles riding shotgun to the range)

There were a couple of speed bumps throughout the day. After a few magazines through the Magpul outfitted gun, I heard something rattling around in the stock. I found a loose screw and washer sitting there in the compartment under the cheek weld. The stock was now loose. Turns out that the yellow thread locking compound had not done its job and allowed the screw to work its way out. The captured nut had fallen out and I was not able to find it. Even with the missing nut and wiggly stock, the firearm was still quite serviceable. Another call to PSA later and they had a replacement nut in the mail to me. I did take the screw to the hardware store and match it up to a nut off the shelf. If you were in a hurry, you wouldn’t have to wait for one to come in the mail. Its nice to know that you can get the correct one from PSA if you want it, though.

(missing nut from the MOE stock)

(PSA sent a complete set of small parts for the Magpul stock, not just the nut)

The next thing worth mentioning had to do with magazine fitment. I had 6 magpul magazines, all the same model. For whatever reason, one of them simply would not seat into one of Palmetto State’s guns. So at this point, I’m not sure who’s fault that one is. All 6 magazines work with gun #2, but only 5 of them worked in gun #1. Maybe the Magazine was out of spec and the first gun was just a little bit more forgiving. At any rate, I got Palmetto state on the phone again and the magazine has been sent in to them for inspection (on their dime).

(3 Magpul magazines. The right one won’t lock into gun #1)

Most of the rest of the day was smooth sailing. I fed magazine after magazine of TulAmmo (cheapest I could find) through these guys. Gun #1 had a single FTF. These were all brand new guns and brand new magazines. Maybe everything needs to get broken in a bit?

Palmetto State seem like they’re putting out a good rifle and they are standing behind it. I‘m pretty sure that Rob Ski’s PSAK47 looks like hell by now. Here’s some more pictures in case you guys want to see some up close detail of one that hasn’t been put through the grinder. I have my fingers crossed that his holds up all 5000 rounds. So that’s about all I have. Overall, I’m satisfied with Palmetto State’s AK-47 and their customer service.

(more pics, rifle #1)

(more pics, rifle #2)

Sorry, looks like the forum rules only allowed me to upload 25 pictures to this post. If you guys are interested, I have plenty more showing more details of these guns.

Last edited by giantpune; 08-25-2016 at 02:47 PM.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
DDI
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175726

FYI, a gap between a wood stock and the rear of the receiver on an AK is normal and should be there. This prevents cracking of the stock under hard conditions.
DDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
Eurosport
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181863

Eurosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
TideAlum
ACQUISITION MODE

AKaholic #: 178978

Great post! That red is calling me!

Tide, I hope you'll have the good taste not to mention I spoke to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden
I'll tell you what you are here. You are tampon. Only needed when days are critical. And even than you are of such low quality - you are leaking.
TideAlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Is it just my computer, or does everyone else need to scroll over to the next county to see the whole sentence?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Welcome to the AKFiles

GOOD LORD THAT RED IS HOT!!!!!

I think the N-Pap I have is getting dumped and I'm going to swap one of these into it's place.
I don't have many outside of the Russian variants, but this is really nice looking.

Hoping it fares well on the 5,000 round blitz.
I'm not sure baby toys all over the pics of the AK's is a good choice tho.....

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
QuarterBoreGunner

AKaholic #: 186496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Welcome to the AKFiles

GOOD LORD THAT RED IS HOT!!!!!

I think the N-Pap I have is getting dumped and I'm going to swap one of these into it's place.
I don't have many outside of the Russian variants, but this is really nice looking.

Hoping it fares well on the 5,000 round blitz.
I'm not sure baby toys all over the pics of the AK's is a good choice tho.....
Agreed, man that red looks sharp. I'll still wait for the dust to settle and more reviews to come in (Rob Ski I'm looking at you...), but the build quality looks very nice. Fingers crossed for this one big time.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
QuarterBoreGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
KYgunner

AKaholic #: 178120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurosport View Post
^^^^Ha! I can't argue with the T-Bird though. I used to have a 97 and loved it!
KYgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #9
deadduck357
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
Is it just my computer, or does everyone else need to scroll over to the next county to see the whole sentence?
You probably have an astigmatism.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
barmonkey

AKaholic #: 179773

Thanks for posting the pictures...I bought the original Gen1 barreled receiver with the apparently non-US parts. It is holding very well with around 2500 rounds through it so far.

The one thing they did not get right on my Gen1 was the threading for the muzzle...the threads didn't even go all the way back to the sight block. At least the thread appear to be all the way back on yours.

I also had issues with the Magpul stock bolt coming loose. I thoroughly cleaned the threads and used some blue Loctite and have had no issues since.
barmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #11
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Leaving out the cleaning rod ? Do you want to make AK owners to stroke out and die spasming on the ground with frothing mouths ? lol.
Rule number 1 of AK making, never talk about leaving out the cleaning rod.
Rule number 2 of AK making, never talk about leaving out the cleaning rod.
Rule number 3 of AK making, you must always have a cleaning rod.

Don't ask me why because I agree its pointless and just screws with barrel harmonics if anything but people like the look of them I guess. Same with that gap in the rear of the stock. That's the way AKs are, they are not perfect weapons. But people just can't get over stuff like that.

Good review though. +1 for including pictures or I would have never even read it.
Do you have to have a class III license to get banana clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I take a Norinco 1911 or M14 over any of those fancy ass range toys that are made in Murcia.
^Epic Facepalm^
SuperTacOperator44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #12
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

AKaholic #: 186184

Nice looking rifles. Thanks for the review.

Now if DDI could add that Red Wood Furniture to one of their All American AKs, we'd be in business.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
deadduck357
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop1911 View Post

Now if DDI could add that Red Wood Furniture to one of their All American AKs, we'd be in business.
If DDI can get it right out of the gate without these few hiccups we'd be in business.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Bubba H

AKaholic #: 184894

Thanks neighbor. Nice review. Nice pics too.

If your location is accurate in your profile, we live right near each other.
Bubba H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #15
DDI
Veteran Member

Quote:

No plan for wood on DDIs.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
It's your resolution setting on your monitor and monitor size.
I'm on a dual 23" screen and I see it all on 1 screen.

You can adjust by holding the CONTROL keyboard button down and rolling the mouse wheel down.

AK Files custom search
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

How the frick does PSA's Quality Control overlook a missing trigger guard rivet???

Century and I.O. would be catching hell for this right now. No, I do not own a RAS47 or an I.O. and I am not a troll. Just pointing this out in all fairness. It's a lot easier to miss a loose front sight drum than it is to miss a missing rivet! This just proves that dumb-assery exists at every company.
Martensite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
How the frick does PSA's Quality Control overlook a missing trigger guard rivet???

Century and I.O. would be catching hell for this right now. No, I do not own a RAS47 or an I.O. and I am not a troll. Just pointing this out in all fairness. It's a lot easier to miss a loose front sight drum than it is to miss a missing rivet! This just proves that dumb-assery exists at every company.
I sure the hell wouldn't be swapping one of my POS Npaps for one....
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #19
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

AKaholic #: 186184

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDI View Post
No plan for wood on DDIs.
Yeah, I know but you should at some point just to make one sexy beast.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
Have to admit that's kinda funny.......because it's true.

That was a serious DERP moment for the guy in QC that day.
Human error does exist everywhere, but it's followup customer service to rectify it that matters.

AK Files custom search
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #21
DDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know but you should at some point just to make one sexy beast.
Not interested in making sexy guns, nothing wrong with that, but we have a differant path.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
ehilderbrand

AKaholic #: 180825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Have to admit that's kinda funny.......because it's true.

That was a serious DERP moment for the guy in QC that day.
Human error does exist everywhere, but it's followup customer service to rectify it that matters.
They've sent out AR-15 upper receivers that were missing the gas tube, so it's no real surprise.

However, they evidently fixed it very quickly and that's what counts.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #23
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Pass.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #24
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Thank you for taking the time to post youre review of the PSA AK. As you know, theres ALOT of people wanting/waiting to order one of these AKs, with me being one of them.
With the limited reviews about these rifles that are out there (which are all positive), IMO once broken in, we will have ourselves GTG rifles.
Next time the GB2 Polymer AK is in stock, im gonna order it.

PSA, do you plan on offering a Under Folder version?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #25
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Not interested in making sexy guns, nothing wrong with that, but we have a differant path.
Probably shouldn't mention that sexy red stock costs a lot more than the plastic...wait for it.....furniture?
Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #26
DDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64890 View Post
Probably shouldn't mention that sexy red stock costs a lot more than the plastic...wait for it.....furniture?
Like I said before 64890, your always welcome to come out of your mom's basement, wipe the cheeto dust off your fingers, stop sucking on mamas tit and man up and start your own AK company. All you need is a few million dollars, the ability and the drive to do it. Up for the challenge? If not, shut the fuck up and go back and cry to mama that the bad man picked on you. Haters are going to hate, bring it!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
DamnDogs

AKaholic #: 184671

Great review OP! Yeah, that missing rivet is a QC botch but they took care of you and paid for shipping. I'm routing for PSA...they seem to care about what they are doing. At east they admitted their first attempt at an AK was problematic and seem to have learned from some admitted mistakes. I give them credit for that.

No wood furniture on any new DDI rifles? Ouch. Thats a deal breaker. Ah well, hopefully they will sell some nice U.S. made triggers that have the right geometry. A quality bolt carrier/gas piston assembly would be welcome as well.
DamnDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #28
Eurosport
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181863

^
^
LMAO awesome
Eurosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #29
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnDogs View Post

No wood furniture on any new DDI rifles? Ouch. Thats a deal breaker. Ah well,
DD, it should not be a deal breaker at all. Buy wood furniture and sell the polymer (guys are always looking to upgrade to the modern look)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #30
TideAlum
ACQUISITION MODE

AKaholic #: 178978

Quote:
Like I said before 64890, your always welcome to come out of your mom's basement, wipe the cheeto dust off your fingers, stop sucking on mamas tit and man up and start your own AK company. All you need is a few million dollars, the ability and the drive to do it. Up for the challenge? If not, shut the fuck up and go back and cry to mama that the bad man picked on you. Haters are going to hate, bring it!
Damn. I've got my popcorn in hand.

Tide, I hope you'll have the good taste not to mention I spoke to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden
I'll tell you what you are here. You are tampon. Only needed when days are critical. And even than you are of such low quality - you are leaking.
TideAlum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #31
DamnDogs

AKaholic #: 184671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
DD, it should not be a deal breaker at all. Buy wood furniture and sell the polymer (guys are always looking to upgrade to the modern look)
It's a fair point. I just don't like buying a rifle that i dont like the look of and that i immediately have to buy new furniture for and then have to sell the original furniture to recoup my losses.

Wait a minute, I bought a Vepr and just did that exact same thing. Damn, looks like I'm full of it. Lol. Ok DDI, bring it on!
DamnDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #32
MP_FIREARM_PHOTOGRAPHY
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182781

Quote:
Huh never want to get on DDIs bad side... GO TEAM!!
MP_FIREARM_PHOTOGRAPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #33
DDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP_FIREARM_PHOTOGRAPHY View Post
Huh never want to get on DDIs bad side... GO TEAM!!
And I know who you are Indiana boy. .
Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #34
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -

AKaholic #: 157162

That red is hot? It borderline looks like toy gun plastic
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #35
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Another setback today on the all American AK?

Hope all is well with you and your family David.

Cheers