Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
RobAKer

AKaholic #: 192317
Default Should I buy pre ban

Hey filers, new member posting first time, been lurking for a couple years.
Anyway, down to business... I have option to purchase a pre 89 ban Chinese "AK47S" underfolder. it will come with 1 30 bakelite norinco mag, 8 30 flatbacks, 1 40 flatback, and one spine flatback. Also 100 or so rounds of 7.62x39 Russian brass case 1977 headstamp ammo. AK is used with 90%+ bluing finish, maybe 1000 rounds through total, original owner. No import marks, told they weren't needed back then?
Pics wont load due to size on here but I can email those who'd be willing to look. Here's the kicker, he's asking $2000 for it all. What do I have here, Is it worth that? Looking for opinions on all this. Thank you fellow filers.
RobAKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Import marks were required by the 1968 GCA and in some case early ..Some guns had them missed ...

2k is about what these go for now NIB ..I would see if he can do a little under it ..But with all the mags it would be about that esp the bakerlight mags .

Really make sure though it is a pre 1989 ban gun and not say a caught in import mak90 or the like that was converted back into the Underfolder ..Have seen that done pretty well

2K if in great shape with all the stuff sounds about right ..I would try for 1.8 though imop..

Make sure nothing is funny on it like being post ban into pre ban
Old 03-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAKer View Post
Here's the kicker, he's asking $2000 for it all. What do I have here, Is it worth that? Looking for opinions on all this. Thank you fellow filers.
Worth is subjective to each buyer.......
In my honest opinion, if you don't own an AK .....there's nothing magical about this AK to waste $2,000 on it.

Buy any AK under $1000 and you'll soon see it is simply the lower availability of specific models that fetch higher prices in goober ville markets.
UNLESS of course you're a collector of some sort and just want it for a specific reason, but sounds like you're in unfamiliar territory.

There are 10x better rifles out there for even less then $2,000 (i.e. CZ Bren 805 $1300).....so no, I don't see it as a value, especially for a new guy.
Go on Armslist.com and start searching in your area , or Backpage.com and see what's available in YOUR area first.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Worth is subjective to each buyer.......
In my honest opinion, if you don't own an AK .....there's nothing magical about this AK to waste $2,000 on it.

Buy any AK under $1000 and you'll soon see it is simply the lower availability of specific models that fetch higher prices in goober ville markets.
UNLESS of course you're a collector of some sort and just want it for a specific reason, but sounds like you're in unfamiliar territory.
Yeah I will agree to this ..My view came from having use and loved pre bans .

The only selling point to pre ban is collectivabilty and holding some of there vaule plus not having messing around with inernal 922r stuff and factory trigger..

But if you are new person I might just get a WSAR or the like tried and then go on from there ..

And double this as it is a UF gun some love them some dont like them ..Try before you buy on UF guns imop
Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
RobAKer

AKaholic #: 192317

Thank yall for the responses! Not really new, just ignorant to this particular model. I collect all types, own an 805 in fde and especially love aks. Particularly the harder to find kinds
This would be my only underfolder which all ak collectors should have at least one, right? My concerns are what exactly is is and if worth that much...
The only trunnionh marking it has starts with 87** and the receiver stampings say only "AK47S 7.62X39" with "MADE IN CHINA" below that. pm emails and ill respond with pics I was given. Ill hav to set up a photo sharing account after work for this stuff next time.
RobAKer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
xman4
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166314

Some early imports have the stamp on the barrel in really small letters. Some are under by the trigger guard too.
xman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Pics wont load due to size on here but I can email those who'd be willing to look.
Pix load fine here.

You just need to read how to do it:

AK Files > Suggestions & Technical Support > [Sticky] Posting pictures on this site
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Highpower
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 159128

I have an underfolder AK47S that I bought last year for $1100. It is a nice rifle and I am glad that I got it for what I paid. Collectors vs shooters have a different mentality are opposite of each other regarding what "worth" constitutes. I have many guns that are collector quality and also have many that are shooter grade. I am not in the camp that a guns just has to be a shooter and if it isn't, it somehow is not worth owning.

I liken to to having art on the walls of your home. Art by itself has no real purpose except to give you pleasure. Yet even the hardcore "guns are tools" people usually have some kind of decorations on the walls of their house. What is so different about firearms that you can't have guns that just looking at them brings you pleasure in their aesthetics? In that case, shooting them is a secondary function that you choose not to exercise.

The problem is that if you only want one AK and intend to shoot it a lot, it makes little sense to purchase a collectable firearm, at a collector price, and then use it like you would use a shooter grade gun. I have probably ten AK's that fall into collector grade status and I shoot them all, but I bought them cheap enough, so that I don't feel bad about putting a few rounds down range from time to time.

Highpowers' rules of gun collecting:
1. Never let a deal get away from you.
2. Never sell your guns.
Highpower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

$2000 is way too much, you can get a nice Legend for that!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
Er98ah

AKaholic #: 190651

please show me where you can buy a nice legend for $2k? I've been lurking for months, and have found no legends for anything below $2500, except for the 100 armslist scams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
$2000 is way too much, you can get a nice Legend for that!

Last edited by Er98ah; 03-08-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Er98ah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er98ah View Post
please show me where you can buy a nice legend for $2k? I've been lurking for months, and have found no legends for anything below $2500, except for the 100 armslist scams.
Keep looking dude!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #12
notasheeple

AKaholic #: 186464

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Pix load fine here.

You just need to read how to do it:

AK Files > Suggestions & Technical Support > [Sticky] Posting pictures on this site
Upload the pics.
notasheeple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #13
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Thank yall for the responses! Not really new, just ignorant to this particular model. I collect all types, own an 805 in fde and especially love aks. Particularly the harder to find kinds
This would be my only underfolder which all ak collectors should have at least one, right? My concerns are what exactly is is and if worth that much...
The only trunnionh marking it has starts with 87** and the receiver stampings say only "AK47S 7.62X39" with "MADE IN CHINA" below that. pm emails and ill respond with pics I was given. Ill hav to set up a photo sharing account after work for this stuff next time.
I had one in 2015 that was 41XX and all it said was "7.62x39", "MADE IN CHINA", and the serial. But this one had a thumb-hole stock on it. Weird right?
I sold it to a local preacher for $1200. Kinda wish I still had it though.