Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #141
AKForrest

AKaholic #: 167789

Hey, I just bought a N-PAP DF, I’ve heard issues with the Wolff XP spring being too strong and bouncing the bolt carrier when it moves forward, I just bought a standard power Wollf spring, do you guys think that will be sufficient? Misha, do you recommend the standard or XP Wolff spring?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #142
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

I've actually never heard of that besides that one video with the RAS47... the N-pap is pretty over gassed though, and I doubt you'd run into that issue. Rob Ski runs the ALG ACT spring in several of his (a 20% stronger spring vs. the 15% that the wolff is) and has no problems. either one should be fine as it beats the very under powered factory spring the N-pap comes with, but the WOLFF standard power is known to be a bit under powered than a combloc spring (I get "thisbugger"'s springs from the forum and they're rock solid for the price).

I use the +10% spring from thisbugger as an "in between" rate. it's lighter than the +15 and +20's of the Wolff and Alg act, but still a bit stronger than stock to help with carrier tail kiss and what not from the Npap's overgassed system.

Last edited by wormraper; 03-09-2018 at 11:41 PM.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #143
AKForrest

Are the standard Alg springs 20% overpowered?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #144
wormraper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKForrest View Post
Are the standard Alg springs 20% overpowered?
yes
Old 03-10-2018, 01:24 AM   #145
AKForrest

Wormraper, the 20% overpowered isn’t advertised on there product page, where did you get this information?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #146
wormraper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Wormraper, the 20% overpowered isn’t advertised on there product page, where did you get this information?
Rob and several others have measured it. Alg doesn't mention any strength for their spring. They just avertise it as a replacement. It's a bit stronger than the Wolff +15% spring

Multiple people on here and theakforum have confirmed it's stouter than the wolf +15% too.. it's why it's called a "high energy mainspring".

Last edited by wormraper; 03-10-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:50 AM   #147
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Been running ALG's in my AKs with no problem. Any extra power spring is an improvement/cheap insurance over the stocker.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #148
wormraper
Curio & Relic

and if you're running a +5 or +10% recoil spring, the difference is negligible in reality. It's a bit tougher to rack, and makes it so the recoil spring is keeping the carrier from hitting the rear trunnion, but we're talking BARELY a full lb of force over a standard spring on the front trunnion.. and that's at max slam! Helps with feeding, and as long as it doesn't over run your magazine springs, then go for it. anything under 15% I wouldn't even sweat.

and as for causing bolt bounce. I think that was shown on a SHITTY RAS47 once, but I've never even seen it talked about eslewhere, and I've spent the last 2 hours in a bored state searching for it.

Akforest. If you're interested, hit up Thisbugger in the marketplace. He sells a "tuning" kit of a +5, +10, and +15% spring that you can snag for $20 shipped, and you can guess, test and revise till you find the one you like. I like the +10% as it's just marginally more than a mil-surp spring and gives JUST a bit more strength for carrier to keep from smacking the trunnion. +10% or under is barely a lb, and gives just a hint of peace of mind.

Last edited by wormraper; 03-10-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #149
AKForrest

Well I ordered a standard power Wolff spring and an ALG spring, I have no idea which one to use, not sure if I should be worried that the ALG is too powerful slamming forward.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #150
wormraper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well I ordered a standard power Wolff spring and an ALG spring, I have no idea which one to use, not sure if I should be worried that the ALG is too powerful slamming forward.
the wolff standard has been rumored to be a LITTLE under stock weight (just a bit soft) and the Alg at about 15-20% extra over stock. I wouldn't even remotely worry about the Alg being too powerful slamming forward. even at 1.5 lbs of pressure over stock (+15%) that's a RIDICULOUSLY light extra amount. We put 2-3 lbs of extra pressure in a small 1911 with 18 lb recoil springs over the 16 all the time. Don't forget that MOST of the slamming force is backwards. The bolt has to come forward at a reduced speed going forward, and is also picking up a round off the mag as well, slowing it down even more. The end poundage hitting the front trunnion area is drastically reduced at that stage even from the 1.5 lbs of extra pressure. People have been using the Wolff and Alg XP springs with good results for years. Rob Ski beat the crap out of a few of them for over a year with zero bad results and he swears by the ALG

honestly, either one will work fine. the uber weak N-pap factory spring is most of the culprit, the rest is just a little bit of "wiggle room" in the equation. Heck, try both, see how they work and choose the one you like the best.

Last edited by wormraper; 03-10-2018 at 05:48 AM.