Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
AK4BK

AKaholic #: 195852
Default Magazine fitment question

I took my new Romarm paratrooper out last weekend. I took 5 different mags. 3 Romanian, 1 Hungarian tanker, and the pmag that came with it. The first mag ( a Romanian) seemed to lock it fine but when I pulled the trigger and fired the first round the mag ejected out the bottom. I reinserted the mag and fired again and the same thing happened.

When I downloaded it to 20rds it worked fine. All other mags worked fine with no malfunctions. Do yall think its just a outta spec mag or maybe my magwell?
Some mags are difficult to remove also. I have to smack the mag catch with something to get them to release but they all cycle fine except the one. The rifle seems ok but this is only my second AK.
AK4BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Cal

AKaholic #: 179953

Open the mag up and see whats going on. Maybe something stuck inside.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
AK4BK

I did some mild filing on the problem magazine. I'm gonna take it out tomorrow with some Hungarian 30 rounders I got and see how it runs. I noticed another OP said his paratrooper seemed to get hotter than his other rifles. I kinda noticed that with mine but figured it was because of the crappy wood handguard century puts on these. We will see how things go.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4BK View Post
Some mags are difficult to remove also. I have to smack the mag catch with something to get them to release but they all cycle fine except the one. The rifle seems ok but this is only my second AK.
Mag's being difficult to remove and having to smack the mag catch indicate a mag catch that wasn't filed down quite enough. Using the mags the fit the tightest and require you to smack the mag catch, file the top of the mag catch area where it engages the rear lug of the magazine until you can move the mag catch easily with the problem mag inserted.

Doing this simple fix will allow your gun to accept more mags than if you leave it as is.

I've had to do this on several of my WASR's.
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
AK4BK

I took it back out today after filing on mag catch as advised. All mags seem to remove easily now and the one that was ejecting worked fine. I ran 120rds of Tula HP through it with one malfunction. It appeared to be a double feed. Its was from a older well used mag so I'm guessing it wasn't the rifles fault. Thanks to Dave Williams for the advice.