Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Vendor Discussion Forums > Palmetto State Armory

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
pistolman1974

AKaholic #: 18720
Default PSAK Blem Review purchased 7/9/18

When I received it, it was in a cardboard Palmetto State labeled box it came with 1 gen1 pmag, a trigger lock, instructions, and some cool stickers. when I pulled it out of the plastic it was coated in some sort of oil. Upon further inspection the blems became apparent there were some scratches on the rings that hold the hand guard on the gas tube. The trapdoor buttstock plate wasn't well fitted to the buttstock itself. other than that the fit and finish looked pretty damn good. I also noticed the S, A, F marking on the receiver NICE TOUCH! trunion and sight block were aligned so no issues there. overall GTG on fit and finish

Next, I field stripped it to take a look on the inside. the dust cover was pretty tight but wasn't hard to remove IMO its a touch of quality. I removed the recoil assembly, bolt carrier and bolt and took a look at the trigger I saw no issues. Then came the removal of the gas tube.

the first thing iI noticed was the the gas tube lever was not down on its notch, in fact it was almost in the open position and the gas tube was solidly on..I mean SOLIDLY. I had to pry it off with some assistance from the dealer. Once I got it off, it looked fine on the inside. Then came reassembly.

When I attempted to reinstall the gas tube, it was discovered that it was too long and without monumental pressure and perhaps warranty voiding force it wasn't going back on ( I wondered how they got it on in the first place) Enter the gunsmith, it just so happens that the gunsmith was on duty and was walking past this gathering of people scratching their heads. I know him and he has done work for me in the past. He offered to take a look at it then took the gas tube to the back. I hear the sound of machinery...to make a long story short he removed about 2/32nds of material from the tube PERFECT FIT! crisis averted it was reassembled without issue. Next Test Firing.

TEST FIRING....To make short story shorter, it was already zeroed it hit point of aim point of impact at 25 yrds. the (front sight pin was almost dead center of the front sight assembly). I'll do some 100 yrds work later. I ran 2 magazines worth of ammo with no issues, one mag dump and one slow fire.
It did leak a little gas under the gas block but my other AK's do it as well, except for my my Mak90. If it does I haven't noticed it but then again it's my least fired AK.

Overall I'm highly satisfied with this AK especially for the price. After the gas tube was fixed and short of the scratches the quality of this AK would rival any production AK and far superior to the Centuries, I.O's etc.
I've already put Magpul furniture on it so now it looks even better.

Last edited by pistolman1974; 07-13-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling
pistolman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Glad to hear it's starting off well for you! Watch for the front sight to drift under recoil. Mine did, but PSA fixed it on their dime and it's been flawless ever since.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
pistolman1974

will do
Old 07-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
travinh

AKaholic #: 179278

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Glad to hear it's starting off well for you! Watch for the front sight to drift under recoil. Mine did, but PSA fixed it on their dime and it's been flawless ever since.
TXsailor,
Did PSA replace your front sight block? My front sight will drift to the right side after a few shoots. I donít want to send my ak to PSA for repairing at the moment, but I may in the future.
travinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Centuriator
Banned

AKaholic #: 195948

I just picked mine up at my FFL today and ... after looking it over very carefully I have no idea why it was described as a "blemished" model. The dealer laughed and said, "Oh, they just say that as a way to drum up sales. I picked up an AR lower described at "blem" and it was perfect too."

Well, whatever...it is awesome and in perfect condition, the red color is consistent, a bit "much" for my taste, but ... for $500 and free shipping? Screw it.

I'll look forward to putting it through the ringer.
Centuriator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #6
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by travinh View Post
TXsailor,
Did PSA replace your front sight block? My front sight will drift to the right side after a few shoots. I donít want to send my ak to PSA for repairing at the moment, but I may in the future.
I would assume so. I posted about it here, Josiah sent me a shipping label, 4 weeks later I had the rifle back. I did slow fire, mag dumps, everything I could think of to break it loose, but this time it held zero perfectly.

If you have issues, let them know and send it back. They'll take care of you, and pay shipping both ways. The only hard part is going a month without your rifle lol.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #7
mojoracing

AKaholic #: 196374

What do you mean by the gas block leaking? Could you actually see gas escaping around it or what? Please describe.
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
pistolman1974

On top of the Barrel just forward and rearward of the gas block you can see residue where a little, just a little, gas has escaped. It sounds worse than it is.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
abbatoys

AKaholic #: 175913

Good review....Really thinking about picking one up
abbatoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
pistolman1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbatoys View Post
Good review....Really thinking about picking one up
I recommend it
Old 07-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Bakwa
Prophetic Marksman
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolman1974 View Post
On top of the Barrel just forward and rearward of the gas block you can see residue where a little, just a little, gas has escaped. It sounds worse than it is.
I had a DD that leaked gas something bad at the gas block. Ran like a top though.
Now I have a Larue barrel and gas system on it. It's now just as reliable and much more accurate.