Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
Avtomatkalashnikov

AKaholic #: 179027
Default anyone ever make "hardtack"? aka pilot bread.

was thinking of cooking something this weekend and ran across this survival food that lasts a long long time. albeit not really the delicous meal i was thinking of cooking and still looking for ideas on that, but i would like to try making this stuff or get some to throw in the bug out bag or for in the woods. seems like a good thing to have for longterm shtf supplies.

"The only true wisdom, is in knowing I know nothing." Socrates
Avtomatkalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

Hardtack has been around for centuries. These days it's better well known as crackers.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Your basic hardtack recipe is flour, salt, and water. Essentially wallpaper paste with a bit of salt to flavor it.

You just add some water to the dry mix until it is a nice thick dough that's not too sticky, roll out into a 1/2" thick layer on a cookie sheet, cut into convenient sized pieces, and bake until slightly browned @ 375. Punching holes in the squares with a bamboo skewer is also recommended, lets it soften quicker when soaked in soup or whatever.

If you don't moisten it with something, you will be seeing the Dentist!
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
JudgeandJury

AKaholic #: 180145

JudgeandJury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
SAVAGE11
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 158321

Just throw a box of saltines in your bug out bag. Hell, those dollar stores sell them for a buck!

((DB)) #69 BaconBalls
SAVAGE11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Got no teeth , wouldn't be able to chew it .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Avtomatkalashnikov

Yeah yeah i guess it is just that simple. Some guy on YouTube ate a civil war mre hardtack biscuit from 1863

Pretty much ive read the stuff lasts about 20-30 years or if well tooken care of 50.

Of its that simple to make and its safe and lasts a really long time I'll make some.

But crackers? Dont those go bad? Stale is one thing. Last thing you want to happen in a survival situation is getting sick eating food rations you saved for that occasion.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
Mxwllbkr

AKaholic #: 194569

Wheat berries pretty much last forever, salt lasts forever and so does water...........

Get yourself a good hand crank mill and make it when the time comes.
Mxwllbkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #9
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Traditionally i doesn't have any salt added.

It should be made thin, like cracker thin.

If it is made normally, it has to be soaked to be soft enough to eat.

It is often added to soup or soaked for a long time, but you might be able to soak it or dip it into a hot drink.

Now to make it edible without soaking, you can toast it ahead of time to be very crispy, like chips, crackers or Melba toast.

This way it will crack instead of your teeth.

Maybe go really rolling pin thin and crisp toasting.

It can be stored this way, toasted, and then it will be ready to eat as-is.

For the hard to eat and thick versions, half inch thick or so, it is best to break it up or crumble it and put it in hot soup, like soup and crackers, with the crackers in the bowl of soup.

Last edited by allesennogwat; 07-20-2018 at 12:07 AM.
allesennogwat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
jp10

AKaholic #: 186247

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
Got no teeth , wouldn't be able to chew it .
Just slobber on it and gum it till it softens. At least it should last you longer.
I am trying to find peace, trying to stay together, please don't fight each other here, i'm done with petty shit, we may have differences here and there, but we are not like the hateful left, they are trying to destroy our unity, our country. I won't be destroyed by this.
jp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

AKaholic #: 178465

plenty of other and better survival foods. look up pemican. very long shelf life and best of all, its extremely high in fat and protein.
timhogan427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
Just slobber on it and gum it till it softens. At least it should last you longer.
Definitely got a point there .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #13
IanMor

AKaholic #: 643

My son makes it for our Civil War reenacting. It sucks. Make something different for your BOB other than the Ole Tooth Dullers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
AKfiles is a slightly retarded and magical place. Learn to love it's non-perfect-ness
IanMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
RG Coburn
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 7184

There are examples of ship's bisquits around the web with pictures of square rigged ships on them and signed and dated by seaman from those ships.Think 150+ years old.
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
Avtomatkalashnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
plenty of other and better survival foods. look up pemican. very long shelf life and best of all, its extremely high in fat and protein.
thanks for the suggestion bro, ive heard of that before ill have to look into it again. something to throw in the bug out bag or for hikin in da woods lolz.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
There are examples of ship's bisquits around the web with pictures of square rigged ships on them and signed and dated by seaman from those ships.Think 150+ years old.
wouldnt surprise me, like i said some retard on youtube ate one from the civil war or some crap and theres a video of it.

someone elsewhere told me this is still a stable part of north korean mill infantrys rations and daily meals. damn, that suck to be them eating this shit brick biscuit food constantly. people already talking about it being like knawing on a jawbreaker. i think ill pass on this idea then

Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

If you are just looking for something to toss in a BOB try looking for MRE bread. The current stuff appears to simulate a slice of bread, the older stuff I have looks like they threw a lump of dough in the pouch and cooked it free-form. Surprisingly soft like bread and good tasting, and I still occasionally break into my 1980s vintage supply for a snack just to see if it is still good. Down to like a couple packs now, bummer.

Damn expensive unless you live near a base or have a family member in the .MIL who can supply you. But lasts a long time and is much more edible than hardtack. The MRE crackers are another good to go item. Not as good as some fresh ones from the store, but they are edible. They also have tortillas, but I've never tried them.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

Always traded some of my stuff like peanut butter and some more(including m&m's) for the Mexican style cheese sauce. Put it in the heater to loosen it up and put it on the bread like object. Even the plain cheese was good for me. I just preferred the Mexican cheese more. I can still power that down. Kinda like Jack in the Box taco's, it's terrible. But damn I'll eat the heck outta that. Pound cake was another I liked. Not cause it was good. I simply enjoy opening the pack and seeing that little wafer thin pack blow up to like an inch thick.

If I could find a way to make and keep long term that bread like object from the mre's, I would. I dunno about the newer versions, it's been a while for me.

Edit,

the tortillas used to be gtg. Thick and hearty. Not what you'd by at the grocery. thicker and smaller around but very edible. Unlike Jamaican pork chops, THE worst thing I've ever eaten in my entire life.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
Unlike Jamaican pork chops, THE worst thing I've ever eaten in my entire life.
Missed out on the "four fingers of death" I guess?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
weaselrunner

AKaholic #: 162491

For a couple years, I made it for my daughter when they covered the civil war in history class. From what she told me, was always a hit with the other kids.
weaselrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #20
Mudburner

AKaholic #: 184541

Quote:
Originally Posted by KernelKrink View Post
Missed out on the "four fingers of death" I guess?
Would that be something like vienna sausages or frankfurters? The dreaded "bean component" was the thing for fart contests. The "korean prostitute", er, I mean cream substitute was flammable as hell. I actually enjoyed the dried beef patty & dried pork patty. 1985 vintage MREs. Used to get as many as I could get, sell em down in the ville after Team Spirit or FTX. Korean chicks really liked oranges or bananas from the mess hall.

Pemmican recipe: dried meat, powdered in a blender. (I use old deer jerky) add dried, powdered fruit (I use persimmons. Gather after the frost or whenever they turn sweet, squish all the seeds & skins out, dry the pulp in the sun) (raisins, prunes, dried apricots, any dried fruit, powdered) add melted fat, such as bacon grease, beef fat, deer fat, whatever. Mix it all together in balls, bars, pancakes, cupcake molds, etc.

Pemmican last for 10 years or more if frozen.

Bannock, or camp bread is easy. We did this over the fire with Boy Scouts last year. Its hard to cook just right, tho. Burned on the outside, raw inside. Really gummy breadlike glue substitute.

Last edited by Mudburner; 07-21-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Mudburner is online now   Reply With Quote