Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
TeslaChicken
Member
 
TeslaChicken's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 195980
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 61
Default Chrome lined brakes?

Hello all, I'm glad my account approval didn't take a week to get to as some others have told me, but I'm finally here. Here's my WASR-10: I'm Romanian so it brings me to joy to own a Romanian rifle, much like the one my father used in the Romanian revolution of 1989 against Ceausescu's regime (minus the Magpul stock and bake mag). I've had the rifle for a few months now with nearly 4000 rounds through it: not a single hiccup once.



Introduction aside, is there any good reason to run a chrome lined muzzle brake vs. one without the lining? Is there a huge difference noticeable? I'm looking into getting a Bulgarian, not Tapco crap, 74 style brake in 24x1.5 and run an adapter to allow for an expansion chamber much like the normal 74 brake in 5.45.

I'm running a Midwest Industries MB6 brake which does a good job controlling muzzle sway and rise but makes my range neighbors upset a bit. I'm going back to a more "authentic" looking AK which is why I've ditched the Magpul handguard+Ultimak (which is for sale) and am working on piecing together the parts for an Ace+Stormwerks+Manticore triangle stock conversion as well as an RS side mount and PA/Holosun red-dot from AKOU. I would have liked to actually swap in a folding trunnion but I plan on getting either a 5.45 or 5.56 (don't make fun of me) AK and would get an authentic Russian folder there.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post and introduction, just glad to finally be able to use AKFiles as a technical resource, Reddit's /ak47 is... so so

(edit*: how do I make the image smaller when linking from a URL? looks like an eyesore that large...)
(edit**: nevermind, thanks nalioth)

Last edited by TeslaChicken; 03-19-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s) with Brawny's IMGUR resizing howto
TeslaChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
bda
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 181263
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Near Akron, OH
Posts: 886
Default

Welcome to the Files TeslaChicken! What site are you using to host your picture?
bda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170268
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,772
Default

A chrome lined brake will be much easier to clean but as far as I know not many countries did this as it is easier/cheaper to make and replace a brake without the chrome lining.

Try looking for the zigzag 74 brakes those are chrome lined.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #4
TeslaChicken
Member
 
TeslaChicken's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 195980
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bda View Post
Welcome to the Files TeslaChicken! What site are you using to host your picture?
Thank you! Was using Imgur, however nalioth linked me on how to edit the photo so now more bloated image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
A chrome lined brake will be much easier to clean but as far as I know not many countries did this as it is easier/cheaper to make and replace a brake without the chrome lining.

Try looking for the zigzag 74 brakes those are chrome lined.
So the only effect is on cleaning? Can those be found in 7.62?
TeslaChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:02 AM   #5
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE
 
GuzziMike's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159432
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iguazu
Posts: 7,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
A chrome lined brake will be much easier to clean but as far as I know not many countries did this as it is easier/cheaper to make and replace a brake without the chrome lining.

Try looking for the zigzag 74 brakes those are chrome lined.
Back about 2015, RTG in Az had some originally NOS from East Germany. I bought one myself.

I don't know if they have anymore.

---
__________________



PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons


GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170268
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken View Post
Thank you! Was using Imgur, however nalioth linked me on how to edit the photo so now more bloated image!



So the only effect is on cleaning? Can those be found in 7.62?
Eh not sure about 7.62 but most modern brake/flash hiders are nitrided so I wouldn't worry.
You could get a titanium brake if you don't mind paying about $50-100 more for it.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170268
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
Back about 2015, RTG in Az had some originally NOS from East Germany. I bought one myself.

I don't know if they have anymore.

---
You can still find them here and there.

I wanted one for awhile but it's not something I'd is sleep over.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
TeslaChicken
Member
 
TeslaChicken's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 195980
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 61
Default

Also, is there any advantage to getting a US made brake vs. a Bulgy or Russian besides the authenticity? I'm just worried about the finish, I got to see a friend's Tapco 74 style brake and it was a very dull, not even black finish like the rest of the gun
TeslaChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170268
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken View Post
Also, is there any advantage to getting a US made brake vs. a Bulgy or Russian besides the authenticity? I'm just worried about the finish, I got to see a friend's Tapco 74 style brake and it was a very dull, not even black finish like the rest of the gun
If you want a good repro brake go with cnc warrior.
They aren't ridiculous in price and they make great stuff.

Personally brakes and flash hiders are the one thing we make better than the combloc countries when it comes to AK related stuff.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
TeslaChicken
Member
 
TeslaChicken's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 195980
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
If you want a good repro brake go with cnc warrior.
They aren't ridiculous in price and they make great stuff.

Personally brakes and flash hiders are the one thing we make better than the combloc countries when it comes to AK related stuff.
I noticed CNC had the cheapest 74 style brake and I do plan on getting the thread adapter from them as they're very well reviewed. Dumb question: when mounting a thread adapter on, say the CNC Warrior one that has what looks like detent pin grooves cut into it, would the detent pin still be functioning with the much wider 74 style brake? Or will the adapter basically "remove it" from function
TeslaChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #11
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 170268
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken View Post
I noticed CNC had the cheapest 74 style brake and I do plan on getting the thread adapter from them as they're very well reviewed. Dumb question: when mounting a thread adapter on, say the CNC Warrior one that has what looks like detent pin grooves cut into it, would the detent pin still be functioning with the much wider 74 style brake? Or will the adapter basically "remove it" from function
Mmm not sure on that, shoot them an email they are quick to respond.

Also they have a 14x1 74 style brake available so you wouldn't need the adapter but its up to you.

I'd email them just to be sure on everything.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
64890
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 182849
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken View Post
Also, is there any advantage to getting a US made brake vs. a Bulgy or Russian besides the authenticity? I'm just worried about the finish, I got to see a friend's Tapco 74 style brake and it was a very dull, not even black finish like the rest of the gun
922r is out there......

if it applies to you

Last edited by 64890; 03-19-2018 at 07:42 AM.
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
BFPUAKM
No information available
 
AKaholic #: 191073
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 255
Default

I have a thread adapter and Bulgarian zigzag brake on my WASR. The detent pin catches the adapter and the brake without much trouble and the brake has just a very slight amount of wobble. It really makes a noticeable difference when firing. As others said the chrome lining just makes for easier cleaning.
__________________
No signature required
BFPUAKM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
GuidoFL
Curio & Relic
 
GuidoFL's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 171081
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Florida CSA
Posts: 2,029
Default

I notice this is a AK74 post in the AK47 forum.
__________________
NRA Life/Endowment
GuidoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator
 
nalioth's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5678
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 40,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoFL View Post
I notice this is a AK74 post in the AK47 forum.
Right, 'cuz modern Kalashnikovs don't all use 24mm FSBs and brakes.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles