Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
TeslaChicken

AKaholic #: 195980
Default Chrome lined brakes?

Hello all, I'm glad my account approval didn't take a week to get to as some others have told me, but I'm finally here. Here's my WASR-10: I'm Romanian so it brings me to joy to own a Romanian rifle, much like the one my father used in the Romanian revolution of 1989 against Ceausescu's regime (minus the Magpul stock and bake mag). I've had the rifle for a few months now with nearly 4000 rounds through it: not a single hiccup once.

Introduction aside, is there any good reason to run a chrome lined muzzle brake vs. one without the lining? Is there a huge difference noticeable? I'm looking into getting a Bulgarian, not Tapco crap, 74 style brake in 24x1.5 and run an adapter to allow for an expansion chamber much like the normal 74 brake in 5.45.

I'm running a Midwest Industries MB6 brake which does a good job controlling muzzle sway and rise but makes my range neighbors upset a bit. I'm going back to a more "authentic" looking AK which is why I've ditched the Magpul handguard+Ultimak (which is for sale) and am working on piecing together the parts for an Ace+Stormwerks+Manticore triangle stock conversion as well as an RS side mount and PA/Holosun red-dot from AKOU. I would have liked to actually swap in a folding trunnion but I plan on getting either a 5.45 or 5.56 (don't make fun of me) AK and would get an authentic Russian folder there.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post and introduction, just glad to finally be able to use AKFiles as a technical resource, Reddit's /ak47 is... so so

(edit*: how do I make the image smaller when linking from a URL? looks like an eyesore that large...)
(edit**: nevermind, thanks nalioth)

Last edited by TeslaChicken; 03-19-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s) with Brawny's IMGUR resizing howto
TeslaChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
bda

AKaholic #: 181263

Welcome to the Files TeslaChicken! What site are you using to host your picture?
bda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

A chrome lined brake will be much easier to clean but as far as I know not many countries did this as it is easier/cheaper to make and replace a brake without the chrome lining.

Try looking for the zigzag 74 brakes those are chrome lined.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM   #4
TeslaChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bda View Post
Welcome to the Files TeslaChicken! What site are you using to host your picture?
Thank you! Was using Imgur, however nalioth linked me on how to edit the photo so now more bloated image!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
A chrome lined brake will be much easier to clean but as far as I know not many countries did this as it is easier/cheaper to make and replace a brake without the chrome lining.

So the only effect is on cleaning? Can those be found in 7.62?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:02 AM   #5
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:

Back about 2015, RTG in Az had some originally NOS from East Germany. I bought one myself.

I don't know if they have anymore.

---

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken View Post
Thank you! Was using Imgur, however nalioth linked me on how to edit the photo so now more bloated image!

So the only effect is on cleaning? Can those be found in 7.62?
Eh not sure about 7.62 but most modern brake/flash hiders are nitrided so I wouldn't worry.
You could get a titanium brake if you don't mind paying about $50-100 more for it.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 AM   #7
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
Back about 2015, RTG in Az had some originally NOS from East Germany. I bought one myself.

I don't know if they have anymore.

---
You can still find them here and there.

I wanted one for awhile but it's not something I'd is sleep over.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
TeslaChicken

Also, is there any advantage to getting a US made brake vs. a Bulgy or Russian besides the authenticity? I'm just worried about the finish, I got to see a friend's Tapco 74 style brake and it was a very dull, not even black finish like the rest of the gun
Old 03-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Also, is there any advantage to getting a US made brake vs. a Bulgy or Russian besides the authenticity? I'm just worried about the finish, I got to see a friend's Tapco 74 style brake and it was a very dull, not even black finish like the rest of the gun
If you want a good repro brake go with cnc warrior.
They aren't ridiculous in price and they make great stuff.

Personally brakes and flash hiders are the one thing we make better than the combloc countries when it comes to AK related stuff.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
TeslaChicken

Quote:
If you want a good repro brake go with cnc warrior.
They aren't ridiculous in price and they make great stuff.

Personally brakes and flash hiders are the one thing we make better than the combloc countries when it comes to AK related stuff.
I noticed CNC had the cheapest 74 style brake and I do plan on getting the thread adapter from them as they're very well reviewed. Dumb question: when mounting a thread adapter on, say the CNC Warrior one that has what looks like detent pin grooves cut into it, would the detent pin still be functioning with the much wider 74 style brake? Or will the adapter basically "remove it" from function
Old 03-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #11
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I noticed CNC had the cheapest 74 style brake and I do plan on getting the thread adapter from them as they're very well reviewed. Dumb question: when mounting a thread adapter on, say the CNC Warrior one that has what looks like detent pin grooves cut into it, would the detent pin still be functioning with the much wider 74 style brake? Or will the adapter basically "remove it" from function
Mmm not sure on that, shoot them an email they are quick to respond.

Also they have a 14x1 74 style brake available so you wouldn't need the adapter but its up to you.

I'd email them just to be sure on everything.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Quote:
922r is out there......

if it applies to you

Last edited by 64890; 03-19-2018 at 07:42 AM.
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #13
BFPUAKM
No information available

AKaholic #: 191073

I have a thread adapter and Bulgarian zigzag brake on my WASR. The detent pin catches the adapter and the brake without much trouble and the brake has just a very slight amount of wobble. It really makes a noticeable difference when firing. As others said the chrome lining just makes for easier cleaning.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #14
GuidoFL
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171081

I notice this is a AK74 post in the AK47 forum.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoFL View Post
I notice this is a AK74 post in the AK47 forum.
Right, 'cuz modern Kalashnikovs don't all use 24mm FSBs and brakes.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote