Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 87380
Default Sam7-fixed or folding stock???

If you were in the market to buy a Sam 7 and could only buy one, would it be the fixed stock version or the folding stock version?

Thoughts please.
Pow-ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Cr4kf0x

AKaholic #: 190445

SF is my preference, but length of pull is a concern for some people. I've been reading the fixed stock version may be disappearing soon/already???

I've owned both, and you cannot go wrong. I think it comes down to preferring more standard milled vs frills on the SF (but also 24x1.5mm threads).
Old 07-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr4kf0x View Post
SF is my preference, but length of pull is a concern for some people. I've been reading the fixed stock version may be disappearing soon/already???

I've owned both, and you cannot go wrong. I think it comes down to preferring more standard milled vs frills on the SF (but also 24x1.5mm threads).
They just got a fresh batch of imports, so the fixed stocks are not going anywhere for now. I donít *think* the SAM7 will be discontinued anytime soon either because the Arsenal factory in Bulgaria makes milled AKs for their own military and for imports. It doesnít make sense for them to just ignore profits by no longer importing to the US.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

If only one, fixed stock. Having said that, I have an SF and an SA-93 that's waiting to be debanned. Length of pull and the side folding assembly are what kills it for me. Not a huge fan of the look of it. I've tried to sell/trade but I can't bring myself to do it. Guess it's stuck with me.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Cr4kf0x

Cool, thanks for the update on my bad info lol. Feels good knowing many milled's are still coming in. Now I just wish they'd export some of their AR-M9 grips.... D:<
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
FalseFlagOps

AKaholic #: 194141

Own both sam7r and sf, both are fantastic. The folder may add a bit more "value" especially if ever sold, but a minor detail. Also note the thread pattern and muzzle brake differences between the two, pick one----I started with the fixed stock with plans to swap for wood furniture but have yet to do it. I'm 5'9" and haven't found lop to be an issue at all, in fact I prefer it. New batches of sam7r have hit the scene in the last few weeks so that'll hopefully have some downward price pressure, though prices have moved little on these for 5+ years-----still can be had on secondary market lnib for under 1200$, there's a few listed in the marketplace as we speak and its hard to put any real wear on these during normal semi-auto shooting and most have seen under 500 rounds which is nothing for these rifles-----
FalseFlagOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
TOts

AKaholic #: 174823

Either would be a fine purchase. I thought the lop of the SF would be an issue however, I think its nice.
TOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
CjStatic
Banned

AKaholic #: 196171

I love the Sf. More features. LOP is perfect. The same as shooting an Ar for me.
I want the fixed as well, but damn, another $1300
CjStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I have never owned a side folding stock AK so I had no experience with a side folder.

I am thinking either would be a great AK, but thinking the fixed stock would be the better of the two for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
Cr4kf0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow-ding View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I have never owned a side folding stock AK so I had no experience with a side folder.

I am thinking either would be a great AK, but thinking the fixed stock would be the better of the two for me.
I have a pretty nice bulgy (I think) milled stock I have no use for. PM if you'd wanna make a deal.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

Jmac makes an adapter to replace Arsenal stock. Allows for use of SIG MCX stock options.
Gaddywack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #12
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

Objectively, the SAM7R is probably the better choice; but personally? I would go with SAM7SF everytime.

SAM7R is more versatile as it can take any buttstock/adaptor designed for a traditional 2 tang milled receiver. It has 14x1 threads, which are very common and there are hundreds of devices out there for them.

But SAM7SF has an interesting and unique folding stock. Thing is, you'll either love it or hate it. It really can go either way with people. Also you get 24mm threads, which i prefer but that there are fewer devices made for. And you get a Galil style left side, thumb safety selector, which is just neat and fun to play with hehe.

Once I would have said that the SAM7R is about $100 cheaper than the SAM7SF, but with this most recent batch, the price difference has closed to only about $20. So for $20, you get a neat safety and milspec folding stock. If these are features you want, its a great deal.

There is also the SAM7UF to be fair, which itself is a great rifle. It is a underfolder, which again is kind of a love/hate thing. Otherwise, it is identical to the SAM7R, except no side rail for a scope mount because of the stock.
These seem to be underappreciated, so are a bit cheaper than either the M7R or M7SF.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Of you want a folder I prefer the UF over the SF it's cheaper lighter and folds up more compact (unless you plan on using the side rail)

Between the R and the SF if folding wasn't necessary I'd take the R becuse you can use a wood stock
Trvrswsr1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #14
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

You know how there's some really popular stuff that just doesn't do anything for you?

Yeah well my list includes pistol caliber carbines, shotgun caliber pistols, dongs and folding stocks...

Get the Sam7r...
rbox1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
bushidorat

AKaholic #: 11159

If ONLY one, SAM7R.

And I have had or have the SF, UF and fixed.

SF's had to go due to an unexpected bill, but to be honest the LOP wasn't for me. So it was easy to see them go. The other thing is I have barrel chest and T-Rex arms so LOP matters to ME.

The UF's have their merits and like others have said are usually underappreciated and cheaper, even NIB vs. NIB SAM7R.

Again, if only one, SAM7R.

Last edited by bushidorat; 07-17-2018 at 06:30 PM.
bushidorat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #16
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

I thoroughly enjoy shooting my SAM7R and if I were to buy another, and I well might, it would be fixed stock as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #17
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

Given the choice I got the sam7r and the uf....But you cant go wrong with either...And the uf is becoming my favorite.
hamdizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #18
Akula13

AKaholic #: 196958

Go with the uf, lighter, cheaper, and dare I say better looking
Akula13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

I only sold my SAM7UF because I had an oppertunity to get a SAS M-7 Classic for only a bit more coin.
I didn't have an AKS Type III in the collection, and the SAS Classic is about as legit as it gets outside of a complete custom reweld, which would cost a lot of coin now a days.

So the UF went, but it was a good rifle for sure.

I think buyers of these SAM7s today will be very content later on.
I think those AK guys who don't buy a SAM7 today will eventually be singing a very similar tune to those who didn't get an SGL or VEPR FM.

Sooner or later, for whatever reason, the SAM7 will disappear from the new market.
And then prices and interest will climb.

Currently, the SAM7SF is the better value as these can still be found at 2013 prices. They have not yet raised them. But if you don't like or need a folding stock or 24mm threads, good deal or not, this won't matter.
The SAM7R is a better base rifle as it is easy to customize. However, the price on these just jumped nearly $100, so is current with the 2018 market. So not as good of a deal, even if the rifle is better suited for many people.

My advice? Get both, enjoy both, figure out which you like better, and then when the going rate has shot up for whatever reason (import drout, gun panic, etc) sell the one you like less for a profit.
I know this can be a difficult process to begin as it does take a goodly amount of money, but if you do it for a few years, your gun collection can become nearly self sustaining.

This is what I've done and a big, big reason why I have the number of guns that I do. I pick up what I can when its cheap and available, hang onto it, and eventually sell off some when the money's right.

As a recent example, I was wanting a Finn reworked M91/30 to kind of complete that aspect of my collection and just because they are both historically neat and fun to shoot.
Anyway, a friend had one and he wanted $375 for it and would take a bit less on friend points.
So i went into my gun room and pulled out a nice but average Russian M91/30 from 1941. I bought a few of these back when they were about $79 w/ bayonet. Been selling/trading them off for years. Anyway, stuck it on GB and it sold in about a week for $429.
Took that money and paid my friend. I got the new rifle i wanted, didn't have to shell out any cash, and actually pocked about $100.
And i sold someone an untouched since import M91/30, so he should be happy that he is getting something that hasn't had corrosive through it and that was absolutely never "improoved" by bubba lol.
Win/win for everyone.

Usually when i find a new gun i want, i sell something I've had for awhile to cover it. Sometimes I have to pitch in a few bucks, other times I pocket a few. Either way, it averages out and I don't really have to dip into my bank account.
That money goes to boring stuff like bills, taxes, and food....ok food isn't boring but taxes sure are!

cheers,
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
CjStatic
Banned

Why not all 3 ?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Thanks to all for the very helpful comments made here. Order placed through Tombstone Tactical for a Sam7 R.

Now for the wait.....tick, tick, tick....

Last edited by Pow-ding; 07-18-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #22
Killface45
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 181879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow-ding View Post
Thanks to all for the very helpful comments made here. Order placed through Tombstone Tactical for a Sam7 R.

Now for the wait.....tick, tick, tick....
Enjoy the rifle. I think you made the right choice. Out of the 3 the SAM7R is my favorite.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #23
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Simple: SF or UF, both superior to R

Last edited by Zemlyak; 07-18-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Zemlyak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #24
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
You are a wee bit late to the party.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #25
CjStatic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
I agree
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #26
EdHntr73

AKaholic #: 194821

I'm curious... we have another thread of Filiers complaining about brand new Sam7rs with rust and gouges in the receiver which apparently K-var is claiming it to be a hardness test.

Do these issues sway or concern possible buyers out there? I cannot convince myself to spring for one on the chance that I receive rust and dents.

What say you all?....
EdHntr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #27
EdHntr73

AKaholic #: 194821

^Full disclosure... I owned a flawless SF a few years ago. I hate myself for selling it...
EdHntr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #28
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Tracking says the Sam7r is to be delivered to my FFL today. I have never had a rifle delivered that fast before.

I should have time late tonight to get a look at this AK, and perhaps post a review of condition by tomorrow morning.

I will be looking for any dings, rust, other issues. Most cosmetic issues with AK's don't really bother me as long as they don't hinder performance or endurance.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #29
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

You will like it...smooth as butter....I did put a kns front sight in mine and it helped me with accuracy and tighting up my groups with irons.
hamdizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #30
Trvrswsr1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHntr73 View Post
I'm curious... we have another thread of Filiers complaining about brand new Sam7rs with rust and gouges in the receiver which apparently K-var is claiming it to be a hardness test.

Do these issues sway or concern possible buyers out there? I cannot convince myself to spring for one on the chance that I receive rust and dents.

What say you all?....
I can only speak for my underfolder but none of those issues are present

Arsenals primary purpose is to make guns for military's not the racks at gun shops I'm not making excuses for they're potentially lazy QC policies but it is what it is I am not particularly bothered by the reports
Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #31
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Okay, so here is my report.

Picked up the Sam7r from my FFL today. Took the AK home and inspected the outside of it. All looked good. This AK, after very close inspection, has some extremely minor scuffing/paint loss to the finish. This loss was actually less than other new AK's I have purchased and the rifle fit and finish I would rate excellent/close to perfect.

I disassembled the rifle and inspected all of the parts paying closest attention to the ejector, and the opening where the lower handguard fits into the AK.

Yes, there was a ding on the rear of the ejector. I looked at the ding with four power glasses and could barely see the ding. If I had not not been specifically looking for damage to this area, I most likely would not have ever notice the small mark. I would say this mark was not made by the hammer as the hammer does not come close to this area. Was this made to test the metal hardness? I am not sure-maybe it was. I would post a picture but I just don't think the picture would show the ding very well.

I pulled the lower handguard and viewed the inside where the handguard goes into the rifle. I used a bright led light and my 4 power glasses to view inside. Absolutely nothing to report. No rust, corrosion, grease. Mine is absolutely perfect where the handguard attaches.

I didn't pull the muzzle brake.

So, the AK I received is in my opinion one of the highest quality AK's on the market. The fit and finish is equal to or exceeds all of my other AK's. I am totally satisfied with the fit and finish of this one.

My thanks to Tombstone Tactical for the fastest shipping I have ever experienced on a firearm!

Now to find out if it shoots as good as it looks.

Last edited by Pow-ding; 07-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #32
Trvrswsr1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvrswsr1234 View Post
I can only speak for my underfolder but none of those issues are present

Arsenals primary purpose is to make guns for military's not the racks at gun shops I'm not making excuses for they're potentially lazy QC policies but it is what it is I am not particularly bothered by the reports
Correction

I took another look specifically looking for a very small mark on the ejector and it was their never noticed it when I first inspected the rifle or the couple of times I cleaned it but it is their
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #33
Trvrswsr1234

Congrats on the rifle OP I'm sure you'll enjoy her
Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #34
CjStatic
Banned

Cheaper Than Dirt has them $1257 shipped
Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjStatic View Post
Cheaper Than Dirt has them $1257 shipped
Tombstone Tactical $1260.03 and free shipping.