Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
monkeydo

AKaholic #: 195631
Default New Addition: SAM7sf

Picked up the SAM7sf yesterday! Haven't had a chance to run any rounds through it yet, but plan to after work today. I'm up to 2 AK's now. I know that's absolutely NOTHING at all compared to some of your all's collections, but I didn't get my first AK until this past February. We all have to start somewhere. I actually didn't get my first AR until the end of last year either. I'm working my way up as fast as financially possible haha. These are the only 4 "battle rifles" I have so far, but I'm pretty happy with what the collection is made up of. BCM registered 11.5" SBR, '85 factory 416 Polytech Spiker, '76 Colt SP1 sporting a Colt 62316 M7 bayonet, and the SAM7sf sporting a Circle 10 bayonet.

Hopefully there will be an SGL-21 in the near future, but I believe my next buy will be an M70ab2. I've been following a few different threads lately, and it seems like the M70ab2 gets nothing but praise. Plus, they can be had at an amazing price right now. We will see though. I'd love to own an RPK soon as well.

If any of you have been following my recent thread about hunting with an AK, the SAM7sf will be the one going into the woods with me here in about 3 weeks (TN is holding an early hunt on private property from Aug. 24-26). I'll bring the thread back to life when I bag a deer. I've had several helping themselves to my beans this year. Vengeance is sweet!

monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Good, looks like you’ve started off well and avoided cheap bullshit, keep it up!
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Good, looks like youíve started off well and avoided cheap bullshit, keep it up!
Haha yeah, that's been my aim since day one. Quality over quantity. Other than quality, I want rifles that I'll be proud to pass down to my kid(s) one day, especially ones with historic significance.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

Top of the line. Looks great. And by all means don't forget about m70ab2. Lol
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Pow-ding
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 87380

I recently purchased a Sam7 and so far I am very impressed by it.

You have a great start to a nice AK group!
Pow-ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
bda

AKaholic #: 181263

Nice collection!
bda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
CjStatic
Banned

AKaholic #: 196171

Well done !
CjStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydo View Post
Haha yeah, that's been my aim since day one. Quality over quantity. Other than quality, I want rifles that I'll be proud to pass down to my kid(s) one day, especially ones with historic significance.
Good on you! Hope it will continue to grow!
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
XENOMORPH
PEW PEW PEW

AKaholic #: 190955

Nice, im gettin a new ak in the mail from atlantic in a couple days.
Had to treat myself after just moving to a FREE state .... got some STANDARD mags comin too... man it feels soooo good
Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
BL85

AKaholic #: 192972

Quote:
Picked up the SAM7sf yesterday! Haven't had a chance to run any rounds through it yet, but plan to after work today. I'm up to 2 AK's now. I know that's absolutely NOTHING at all compared to some of your all's collections, but I didn't get my first AK until this past February. We all have to start somewhere. I actually didn't get my first AR until the end of last year either. I'm working my way up as fast as financially possible haha. These are the only 4 "battle rifles" I have so far, but I'm pretty happy with what the collection is made up of. BCM registered 11.5" SBR, '85 factory 416 Polytech Spiker, '76 Colt SP1 sporting a Colt 62316 M7 bayonet, and the SAM7sf sporting a Circle 10 bayonet.

Hopefully there will be an SGL-21 in the near future, but I believe my next buy will be an M70ab2. I've been following a few different threads lately, and it seems like the M70ab2 gets nothing but praise. Plus, they can be had at an amazing price right now. We will see though. I'd love to own an RPK soon as well.

If any of you have been following my recent thread about hunting with an AK, the SAM7sf will be the one going into the woods with me here in about 3 weeks (TN is holding an early hunt on private property from Aug. 24-26). I'll bring the thread back to life when I bag a deer. I've had several helping themselves to my beans this year. Vengeance is sweet!

Congrats! Your collection looks sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOMORPH View Post
Had to treat myself after just moving to a FREE state .... got some STANDARD mags comin too... man it feels soooo good
Congrats bro! I hope you enjoy her.
BL85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

Gotta LOVE the SAM7's
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOMORPH View Post
Congrats on both moving to a free state and the new purchase!!
Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #13
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmando View Post
Top of the line. Looks great. And by all means don't forget about m70ab2. Lol
There's no forgetting it now, and I put a lot of the blame on you catmando haha. It may be a little while before I can get the funds together, especially after the recent purchase, but I'll probably shoot you a pm with some questions when the time comes.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

Quote:
There's no forgetting it now, and I put a lot of the blame on you catmando haha. It may be a little while before I can get the funds together, especially after the recent purchase, but I'll probably shoot you a pm with some questions when the time comes.
Feel free anytime. I have a practice gernade Spigot and blanks on the way. I'm going to terrorize the neighborhood! Lol
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
CjStatic
Banned

Now get you a mount and Trijicon MRO to put on that bad boy.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #16
556sniper

AKaholic #: 183720

The SAM7SF looks awesome and hopefully you have a successful hunt while using. If you bag anything be sure to share some pics!!! I wish PA allowed semiauto hunting for big game, I would love to hunt with one of my AKs.
556sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjStatic View Post
Now get you a mount and Trijicon MRO to put on that bad boy.
Man it’s hard to drop $400 on an optic, especially when I could get that M70ab2 with another $200-$300 haha. I believe that’s actually the optic I’ve decided on though if I don’t got with a more vintage Russian look. $400 really isn’t bad compared for what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556sniper View Post
The SAM7SF looks awesome and hopefully you have a successful hunt while using. If you bag anything be sure to share some pics!!! I wish PA allowed semiauto hunting for big game, I would love to hunt with one of my AKs.
Thanks man! I definitely will. I plan on going sometime between Aug. 24-26 during the early hunt, and I’m pretty much guaranteed a kill on my property. They’ve been helping themselves to my garden this summer, so I’ve got a grudge I’m ready to settle.haha That sucks about the PA law. Doesn’t make much sense at all.

Last edited by monkeydo; 07-31-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Quote:
Man it’s hard to drop $400 on an optic, especially when I could get that M70ab2 with another $200-$300 haha.
That's a common rookie mistake that I see a lot of. Slow down on the rifle purchases and start equipping those 4 rifles you do have already.
Optics, mounts, slings, lights, ammo, mags, spare parts etc. etc. Your next two "rifles" worth of money should be spent on accessories imo.
Then take those rifles out, fully kitted out and use them a lot. Then turn around and repeat as necessary. You don't wanna turn into that collector guy that has safes full of stock rifles that all need a little something added to them to become good shooters. But hes only got a few mags for each, a couple thousand rounds of ammo for each, no spare parts and nothing but a crappy stock sling and an archaic cleaning kit. My two cents anyways.

Last edited by SuperTacOperator44; 08-01-2018 at 08:48 AM.
SuperTacOperator44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #19
AK74NOLA
5.45x39 Master Race.

AKaholic #: 193147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
That's a common rookie mistake that I see a lot of. Slow down on the rifle purchases and start equipping those 4 rifles you do have already.
Optics, mounts, slings, lights, ammo, mags, spare parts etc. etc. Your next two "rifles" worth of money should be spent on accessories imo.
Then take those rifles out, fully kitted out and use them a lot. Then turn around and repeat as necessary. You don't wanna turn into that collector guy that has safes full of stock rifles that all need a little something added to them to become good shooters. But hes only got a few mags for each, a couple thousand rounds of ammo for each, no spare parts and nothing but a crappy stock sling and an archaic cleaning kit. My two cents anyways.
Yep.

Have two sets of furniture for my Tula 74U, modern tacticle and the original wood.

I shoot the shit out of my russian 74u.

Just wish 5.45 was cheaper.
AK74NOLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
I appreciate the advice! I agree for the most part. I look at my approach as different though and not necessarily a mistake. I do have several mags for each of my rifles, but I don't feel the need to have 40+ per rifle. 10-15 is more than enough for all practical purposes, and I'm almost to that point. I also have a good supply of ammunition for each rifle, and keep that supply at around 2,000 per rifle for now, which again, is practical in my opinion, but I may begin to build up that supply one day. I have slings for each rifle that I am comfortable with. I actually made the one for the BCM based off of the Advanced Gunslinger Armament (see below). Works great. I have a tote full of top of the line cleaning supplies, and a small tackle box full of all kinds of various brushes, mops, etc. I obsess over cleaning my rifles.haha Not to the point of damaging the bore though. I have plenty of spare parts for the AR's and working on getting a kit together for the AK's. The only department I'm lacking in, in my opinion, is the optics, but then again, I only have one rifle needing a good optic. The BCM's optic is fairly cheap, but it works and has definitely been tested and proven to be durable. I have the original Colt optic on the Colt, and keeping it that way for a reason. The Spiker won't get an optic of course. So the new addition is the only one needing one at the moment. I'm not necessarily afraid of spending a lot for a quality optic. The Browning Safari II I sold to get the SAM7 had a $500 scope on it (not a super expensive scope, but a quality scope none the less). You also have to consider that where I live, with all of the ridges, hills, trees, etc, the furthest I will ever need to engage anything is around 200 yards. MAYBE 300, but mostly around 0-75 yards. So iron sights really aren't an issue for me.

If I had started collecting AK's a few years ago, I would worry more about purchasing accessories before purchasing other AK's that I want. With the way prices continue to climb, and the way the divisive media it pushing the anti-gun narrative, I'm more concerned about getting my hands on as many of the AK's that I want in my collection before I'm either not legally able to purchase one or it doesn't make sense financially. So again, just a different approach. It's the same with pistols. I have one that I conceal carry. I would love to have several more, but pistols will most likely always be available when most semi automatic rifles will most likely not be, so I'm holding off on purchasing more pistols until I'm satisfied with my rifle collection.

I'm also fortunate enough to own a large plot of land on which I can shoot. I go out about 2-3 times a week. This has given me the opportunity to familiarize myself with my rifles and to determine what each one may be lacking for me to effectively use them, and then I purchase accessories based off of that.

Sorry for the long-windedness haha

Last edited by monkeydo; 08-01-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #21
CjStatic
Banned

You can find MRO on sale at times for $350. Itís a great optic for the money. Donít spend $200 on a cheaper one that canít hold a candle to the MRO. I use MROís on my top end rifles and primary arms micro on my other rifles and shotguns.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #22
Kruse

AKaholic #: 196503

What handguard and pistol grip did you put in the SF, I take it you removed the thumb safety?

I got mine a month or two ago, they're awesome shooters!
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #23
monkeydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
What handguard and pistol grip did you put in the SF, I take it you removed the thumb safety?

It's a Romanian bakelite pistol grip that has been modified to allow for the thumb safety switch. The lower hand guard is a Bulgarian bakelite lower hand guard that had to have a few modification as well, and the upper hand guard is a Polish (I believe) laminated upper handguard. I'll get some close ups this afternoon and post them in the morning.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
monkeydo

Quote:

Well I actually had this pic. Not the best pic in the world, but you can see how it was modified.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #25
Embargoart
Contributor

AKaholic #: 197120

The SAM7 is a hunk of burning AK love. Heavy, but beautiful. It is a top notch, quality rifle and very accurate in the right hands, IMHO.
Embargoart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #26
monkeydo

Quote:

Here's a better pic of the grip.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #27
Kruse

AKaholic #: 196503

Quote:
Here's a better pic of the grip.

Wow, that looks awesome. Enjoy it!
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #28
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

Very nice rifle I hope you enjoy your SAM7 as much as I've been enjoying mine.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

What a great way to celebrate the move to a free state by buying a Sam7. The Sam7sf has been on my wish list for a very long time now. I will own one some day.
Cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote