Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #141
davidvh86
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172319
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: sterling heights, michigan
Posts: 49
Default

ordered a new pin and it worked out fine, the end of the old pin was about 25% too large on one end. The replacement pin was a little too loose (wouldnt stay in) but i just tapped one end lightly with a hammer until it stayed in place in the hole.
davidvh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #142
nuckldust
Veteran Member
 
nuckldust's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 9533
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvh86 View Post
ordered a new pin and it worked out fine, the end of the old pin was about 25% too large on one end. The replacement pin was a little too loose (wouldnt stay in) but i just tapped one end lightly with a hammer until it stayed in place in the hole.
Are you sure you are reassembling the bolt correctly? Does the firing pin move freely when you shake the bolt after you tapped it in with a hammer?
nuckldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #143
Dferg10
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 155060
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,799
Default

I added an Ace Zastava block:






Last edited by Dferg10; 12-17-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #144
HPP
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 19940
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,429
Default

So 1) will these rifles accept a standard ak or svd clamp and 2) do they destroy brass to where it cannot be reloaded? I would not mind getting one but I run handloads for all my 308s so buying steel case just for one rifle isn't something i want to do.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #145
DTB
Member
 
AKaholic #: 171204
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Belgrade, Serbia.
Posts: 294
Default

Keep in mind that Zastava rifles are designed around/for brass cased ammo (JNA used only brass ammo) unlike their Soviet/Warsaw Pact counterparts
__________________
Quote:
Guns don't kill people, bullets do.
DTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #146
Dferg10
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 155060
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
So 1) will these rifles accept a standard ak or svd clamp and 2) do they destroy brass to where it cannot be reloaded? I would not mind getting one but I run handloads for all my 308s so buying steel case just for one rifle isn't something i want to do.
SVD clamp. I ran brass through it and did not notice. I do not reload so I wasn't paying too much attention. Next time I will.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #147
Bill Reid
Member
 
AKaholic #: 40796
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 274
Default

FYI and FWIW... the gas block / regulator assembly is not the same as the M76. Figured I'd add this in for future search purposes. The M77 gas regulator, although smaller gas ports, is longer than the M76. My hopes were quickly dashed being able to tame the M76 from sending (reloadable) brass into orbit

I picked up my M77 today from J&G today ($499 deal)... they only have a few left... and none of them have the cleaning rod. I am looking for the correct length cleaning rod.

Few notes...

Looks like mine was put together with a brass hammer. Everything is a very tight fit... very nice.

Got a bit of rust weeping in between the front trunnion and receiver (worse on the bottom(?)... also the scope side mount and receiver. Were these guns assembled in a blizzard or a hot 90/90 day? Have the gun fully stripped and douching everything now. I expect to see residual greasy rust weeping for awhile... at least until I can get all the moisture and grit out.

FSB barrel pin is a no fuss removal in preps of installing detent pin / spring assembly. Front barrel nut is also an easy removal with a Dremel.

Carrier bolt bore appears rough but passes fine pick drag test. Overall fit and finish of the carrier doesn't quite match up the larger M76 brother. Sorry, I have no other Zastava Semi to compare it to. M77 bolt appears to me a little easier to disassemble. Glad I did... little bit of greasy grit behind extractor claw.

I am going to keep the rear stock for now. However, it appears warped (caved) slightly on one side so it doesn't line up well with the rubber pad. Nothing a heat gun can't fix.

Big thanks goes out to AKBLUE (and others) for paving the way into M77 mod options. The 3 mags I got are in great condition... but the internals look cheesy weak. Will probably pick up a couple of M14 mags and adjust to fit.

One thing is for certain... the reloading community has far more love for the .308 than it does for the 8X57 for very obvious reasons. For those interested in getting into .308 Semi Auto reloading I, myself, will probably pick up the RCBS Small Base Full Length Resizer and spend a little coin on a quality bullet seater...

I have a POSP 8X42 with both the AK and SVD mounts... will play with that next when putting the M77 back together.

Last edited by Bill Reid; 12-16-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Bill Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #148
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
So 1) will these rifles accept a standard ak or svd clamp and 2) do they destroy brass to where it cannot be reloaded? I would not mind getting one but I run handloads for all my 308s so buying steel case just for one rifle isn't something i want to do.
Do a search and read this post. The rail is a bit unique and rear setback. It can also be modified. Via search there is info on various scope mount fitments and brass ejection etc.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #149
LOZ6Hrs
Member
 
AKaholic #: 167541
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
I added an Ace Zastava block:





Really liked this setup!! Went to ACE web site and did not see a block listed as a zastava block. Is this discontinued? Do you have the ACE model number so I can inquire with ACE?
LOZ6Hrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #150
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reid View Post
FYI and FWIW... the gas block / regulator assembly is not the same as the M76. Figured I'd add this in for future search purposes. The M77 gas regulator, although smaller gas ports, is longer than the M76. My hopes were quickly dashed being able to tame the M76 from sending (reloadable) brass into orbit

I picked up my M77 today from J&G today ($499 deal)... they only have a few left... and none of them have the cleaning rod. I am looking for the correct length cleaning rod.

Few notes...

Looks like mine was put together with a brass hammer. Everything is a very tight fit... very nice.

Got a bit of rust weeping in between the front trunnion and receiver (worse on the bottom(?)... also the scope side mount and receiver. Were these guns assembled in a blizzard or a hot 90/90 day? Have the gun fully stripped and douching everything now. I expect to see residual greasy rust weeping for awhile... at least until I can get all the moisture and grit out.

FSB barrel pin is a no fuss removal in preps of installing detent pin / spring assembly. Front barrel nut is also an easy removal with a Dremel.

Carrier bolt bore appears rough but passes fine pick drag test. Overall fit and finish of the carrier doesn't quite match up the larger M76 brother. Sorry, I have no other Zastava Semi to compare it to. M77 bolt appears to me a little easier to disassemble. Glad I did... little bit of greasy grit behind extractor claw.

I am going to keep the rear stock for now. However, it appears warped (caved) slightly on one side so it doesn't line up well with the rubber pad. Nothing a heat gun can't fix.

Big thanks goes out to AKBLUE (and others) for paving the way into M77 mod options. The 3 mags I got are in great condition... but the internals look cheesy weak. Will probably pick up a couple of M14 mags and adjust to fit.

One thing is for certain... the reloading community has far more love for the .308 than it does for the 8X57 for very obvious reasons. For those interested in getting into .308 Semi Auto reloading I, myself, will probably pick up the RCBS Small Base Full Length Resizer and spend a little coin on a quality bullet seater...

I have a POSP 8X42 with both the AK and SVD mounts... will play with that next when putting the M77 back together.
You can weld up one of the ports on the M76 gas valve and then re-drill it for a smaller opening if you are getting harsh ejection. Or see if scatsob has just an extra valve to sell vs the whole gas block and valve assembly if you want to keep an original as well.
IIRC the ports are .080",.085", .090".
I had just the opposite when I built a M76 "shortie" with an 19 inch barrel. I had to open each port on the valve by .005" to avoid short stroking.
Generally the M76's I have do not deform brass in Yugo M75 or Egyptian brass. I get an extractor nick on some but no side strikes or 20 foot ejection etc.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #151
Dferg10
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
AKaholic #: 155060
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ6Hrs View Post
Really liked this setup!! Went to ACE web site and did not see a block listed as a zastava block. Is this discontinued? Do you have the ACE model number so I can inquire with ACE?
My understanding is the part number is Ace FM1025. Desert Fox Outfitters was selling them. When I called last week I was told I bought the last one, but they had one left without the screw for $55. I do not know when Ace made them, how many they made, or if they intend to make more. If you find out, let us know, because I have a friend who needs two.
Dferg10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #152
LOZ6Hrs
Member
 
AKaholic #: 167541
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferg10 View Post
My understanding is the part number is Ace FM1025. Desert Fox Outfitters was selling them. When I called last week I was told I bought the last one, but they had one left without the screw for $55. I do not know when Ace made them, how many they made, or if they intend to make more. If you find out, let us know, because I have a friend who needs two.
Sent Ace an email, appended that email with the product number you gave me. Will provide feedback on this thread when I get a response.
LOZ6Hrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #153
LOZ6Hrs
Member
 
AKaholic #: 167541
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 178
Default

Just picked up two zastava receiver blocks from ace. They have them in stock. Call Tiffany at 888-736-7725 if you want one.
LOZ6Hrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #154
The Exterminator
Member
 
The Exterminator's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 125065
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Texas Peckerwood Ridge
Posts: 117
Default

^
Thank You .
The Exterminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #155
The Exterminator
Member
 
The Exterminator's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 125065
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Texas Peckerwood Ridge
Posts: 117
Default

Ordered one , that phone # is J&T Distributing , but it still works for me .
The Exterminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #156
kamui34
Member
 
AKaholic #: 165823
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 129
Default

Finally received mine and man that stock is quite hostile for us lefties...

Next will be scope mount the new furniture
kamui34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #157
LOZ6Hrs
Member
 
AKaholic #: 167541
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exterminator View Post
Ordered one , that phone # is J&T Distributing , but it still works for me .
Ace is a member of J&T Family of Companies. Go to the ACE site and look at the logo on the right hand side of the screen....
LOZ6Hrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #158
maceace
Senior Member
 
AKaholic #: 171834
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Near Chiraq
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ6Hrs View Post
Just picked up two zastava receiver blocks from ace. They have them in stock. Call Tiffany at 888-736-7725 if you want one.
price at ace??? also at desert fox??
maceace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #159
Wonderbread
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172025
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 59
Default

58$ @ desertfox
Wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #160
LOZ6Hrs
Member
 
AKaholic #: 167541
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maceace View Post
price at ace??? also at desert fox??

I believe it was $44 @ Ace.
LOZ6Hrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #161
Bill Reid
Member
 
AKaholic #: 40796
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 274
Default

After searching all of the M77 based threads of late... can't find any barrel twist data. Has anyone confirmed the barrel twist rate? Zastava has their military (B1) version listed as 304.8mm (1:12") and appears to be the same length barrel as 500mm (19.685") but didn't want to assume.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/milita...t-rifle-m77-b1
Bill Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #162
HPP
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 19940
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,429
Default

I don't see how the twist matters. Practically speaking a 10, 11 or 12 twist will shoot every bullet imagineable that you will put through a gas gun and do it accurately. 110s, 135s, 155s, 175s they will all shoot in those twist rates without issue.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #163
davidvh86
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172319
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: sterling heights, michigan
Posts: 49
Default

Anyone ever consider lengthening the mag well to allow for relatively unmodified galil mag? I noticed it would only need about 2 mm of clearance to fit if the material was taken off from area in front of the base of the mag catch. Im more than likely going to try it, the mod seems pretty easy and would save me from destroying 3 mags lol, unless some has something negative to say about it.
davidvh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #164
gowking
Curio & Relic
 
gowking's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 25340
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,028
Default

Will the Galil .308 mag clear the center support?
__________________
THIS SPACE FOR RENT


WTS - AK & Galil parts

WTS - AK furniture


Bashing out AKs one at a time
gowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #165
Kittrell
Curio & Relic
 
Kittrell's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 169541
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rocky Mountain
Posts: 2,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowking View Post
Will the Galil .308 mag clear the center support?
It should, Galil .308 mags have long since been converted to work with Mitchells.
Kittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #166
Beaver Hunter
Curio & Relic
 
Beaver Hunter's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 164221
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 2,654
Default

I sent an email to Zastava asking about spare parts (piring pins, etc.) and got the following response:

Sir,

Thank you very much for your e mail and your thoughts about the situation. At the moment we are working on the delivery of spare parts to Century International Arms, and we believe the spare parts will be available on the US market by February through Century International Arms.
We are doing our best in order to provide enough spare parts to the market and we agree with your statement that they are absolutely necessary for proper market functioning.

Kindest regards and happy holidays,


ZASTAVA ORUZJE AD
EXPORT-IMPORT DEPARTMENT
Bulevar Despota Stefana 12
11000 Belgrade
Serbia
tel: +381 11 3220 154
fax: +381 11 3224 679
e-mail: impex@zastava-arms.rs
www.zastava-arms.rs
__________________
Tudo o que eu garantir e violencia.

Beaver Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #167
davidvh86
Member
 
AKaholic #: 172319
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: sterling heights, michigan
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowking View Post
Will the Galil .308 mag clear the center support?
yea i ground down the edges on one and it worked great. only issue is the front lug of the mag isnt tall enough and causes the mag to tilt and catch on the bolt. I fixed it by adding a 1.5 mm of jb weld to the bottom of the front catch and filing down the pointy tip of the catch and it worked out great (jb weld was just for testing it). I plan on welding material to the all my mags and posting pics.
davidvh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #168
kamui34
Member
 
AKaholic #: 165823
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 129
Default

Edit. Wrong thread

Last edited by kamui34; 01-07-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
kamui34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #169
Black B15
Not giving a fuck....
 
AKaholic #: 171898
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yep
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver Hunter View Post
I sent an email to Zastava asking about spare parts (piring pins, etc.) and got the following response:

Sir,

Thank you very much for your e mail and your thoughts about the situation. At the moment we are working on the delivery of spare parts to Century International Arms, and we believe the spare parts will be available on the US market by February through Century International Arms.
We are doing our best in order to provide enough spare parts to the market and we agree with your statement that they are absolutely necessary for proper market functioning.

Kindest regards and happy holidays,


ZASTAVA ORUZJE AD
EXPORT-IMPORT DEPARTMENT
Bulevar Despota Stefana 12
11000 Belgrade
Serbia
tel: +381 11 3220 154
fax: +381 11 3224 679
e-mail: impex@zastava-arms.rs
www.zastava-arms.rs
How about asking em to ship us some 20 rounders!
Black B15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #170
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15 View Post
How about asking em to ship us some 20 rounders!
Part of the importability of "sporting" arms is a restriction on magazine capacity. I doubt you will see 20 round magazines.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:28 AM   #171
Black B15
Not giving a fuck....
 
AKaholic #: 171898
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Yep
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Part of the importability of "sporting" arms is a restriction on magazine capacity. I doubt you will see 20 round magazines.
So it looks like I need to make that 50 round drum magazine for the M14 fit the Yugo M77. Then I will be happy.
Black B15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #172
zul
Member
 
AKaholic #: 169819
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 426
Default

Did anyone notice that Centerfire has these in now for $550?

http://centerfiresystems.com/RI2063-N.aspx

Pretty good price for a .308 AK...
__________________
-Alis volat propriis-
zul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #173
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zul View Post
Did anyone notice that Centerfire has these in now for $550?

http://centerfiresystems.com/RI2063-N.aspx

Pretty good price for a .308 AK...
They were $499 at J&G a little bit ago but sold out quickly. $550 is a good price.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #174
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
AKBLUE's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 5035
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hilliard, Ohio
Posts: 26,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black B15 View Post
So it looks like I need to make that 50 round drum magazine for the M14 fit the Yugo M77. Then I will be happy.
Or a 20 or 30 round M14 mag.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #175
That Random Noob
Boat Rocker
 
That Random Noob's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 164877
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Satan's vaction home,TX
Posts: 2,912
Default

I wish I could find some original yugo 20 round mags.. I plan on ordering some of the .308 galil mags Midway had in stock but they are overdue now and there is no telling when some more might get in.
__________________
Stupidity is an enemy without flanks. It is best to break contact.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms,but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
President John F. Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
You guys can suck it. The juice ain't worth the squeeze. Go fuck yourselves.
That Random Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 9 (2 members and 7 guests)
hawmanai, johnnyddn
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles