Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #36
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

AKaholic #: 155579

Well, if anyone has any donations they would like to contribute? I can run this thing till it dies. Since Rob isn't touching one any time soon, I can put the needed round count down the pipe to figure it out. If it makes it past 5000, and the donations keep coming, I will run more and more until it can not function or it's headspace walks.
vipergts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #37
mengra1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184774

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts333 View Post
Well, if anyone has any donations they would like to contribute? I can run this thing till it dies. Since Rob isn't touching one any time soon, I can put the needed round count down the pipe to figure it out. If it makes it past 5000, and the donations keep coming, I will run more and more until it can not function or it's headspace walks.

Just reading between the lines here im going to guess the 500 rounds didn't effect headspace . how many rounds total through right now?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #38
deadduck357
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon_GC View Post
You mean the notch that allows you to hold the bolt open? I don't really see any reason to not have it, for people who shoot at ranges or shoot in competitions that make you lock the bolt to the rear it really helps, for anyone else it doesn't really impede on anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Looks like crap, doesn't function fully as a dust cover (sand, etc....) and if you're at a range it's just as easy to pop the top, whip out the spring and bolt carrier haha Much more dramatic too.
This ^. That and the AK wasn't designed with BHO.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #39
XENOMORPH

AKaholic #: 190955

Looks good so far, cant wait to see the rest of the tests.
If the only complaints so far is cosmetic, they already beat out psa...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #40
mengra1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOMORPH View Post
Looks good so far, cant wait to see the rest of the tests.
If the only complaints so far is cosmetic, they already beat out psa...
Agreed. Very excited for finished part 2
Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #41
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerPE View Post
I'd kindly ask you to point out the horrible build practices and specifications. Just to list a few significant differences to you:
We don't use the barrel as a bucking bar
We don't use a recoil buffer since our geometry is correct
We don't use a parkertized finish and the list goes on but you get the point.

Also if you watch Viper's preview along the 2nd minute mark, you'll hear him say something along the lines of this rifle is far far nicer than anything he's seen from the competitor.
Please don't take this the wrong way, we appreciate yoiur input but felt the need to clarify.
Many on this thread already commented on the build practices being not up to par but I will add my two cents:

You use a cast trunnion which is bad enough as it is. Maybe it will work but 500 rounds is nothing to determine whether it will last or not.

A bayonet lug that doesn't work. Pedantic, sure, but it matters to me.

I am just tired to death of all the U.S. companies coming aboard saying how great their AK's are only to have them end up being giant piles of shit. Century is known for this, your old bosses at I.O. are the epitome of this, PSA lied to the customers and their builds have been crap, DDI the one hope for doing it right has been nothing but failure except for their parts kit builds, and the numerous other companies that existed before you.

I don't want to sound like an ass but I guess I will when I say this which is that unfortunately based on the track record so far of U.S. companies you might not last. Century and PSA only survive because they don't rely on AK's as the center of their business.

It looks like I was right from my post in your first thread, you WILL have QC issues and I was right just looking from the preview alone.

Again, the truth will come to light whether your company is good or not....
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #42
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Funny how they said they have nothing to do with I.O. which is probably true but it looks like they brought along their horrible build practices and specifications with them.

Another company trying to cash in on "cheap" AK's and the "Made in USA" gimmick to make a sale by competing with their former employers!!

The truth will soon come to light, it always does here on the Files.
What's wrong with making an affordable AK? What's wrong with capitalism?
Seems like everyone just wants one great option (which doesn't exist) for +$1000. I for one hope they do well.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #43
XENOMORPH

Well atlantic already sold out so i suppose in the near future they will be able to say if they get any bad feedback from customers...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #44
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
Many on this thread already commented on the build practices being not up to par but I will add my two cents:

You use a cast trunnion which is bad enough as it is. Maybe it will work but 500 rounds is nothing to determine whether it will last or not.

A bayonet lug that doesn't work. Pedantic, sure, but it matters to me.

I am just tired to death of all the U.S. companies coming aboard saying how great their AK's are only to have them end up being giant piles of shit. Century is known for this, your old bosses at I.O. are the epitome of this, PSA lied to the customers and their builds have been crap, DDI the one hope for doing it right has been nothing but failure except for their parts kit builds, and the numerous other companies that existed before you.

I don't want to sound like an ass but I guess I will when I say this which is that unfortunately based on the track record so far of U.S. companies you might not last. Century and PSA only survive because they don't rely on AK's as the center of their business.

It looks like I was right from my post in your first thread, you WILL have QC issues and I was right just looking from the preview alone.

Again, the truth will come to light whether your company is good or not....
Have YOU actually shot or even handled one of the Riley Defense rifles?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #45
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

AKaholic #: 155579

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengra1 View Post
Just reading between the lines here im going to guess the 500 rounds didn't effect headspace . how many rounds total through right now?
I can't disclose that directly until Friday. I wasn't easy on it by any stretch of the imagination. You will likely be pleased with Friday's video.
vipergts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
XENOMORPH

Quote:
I can't disclose that directly until Friday. I wasn't easy on it by any stretch of the imagination. You will likely be pleased with Friday's video.
Thanks for doing this, cant wait.....
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #47
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
What's wrong with making an affordable AK? What's wrong with capitalism?
Seems like everyone just wants one great option (which doesn't exist) for +$1000. I for one hope they do well.
Nothing wrong with it but I am just stating how it is with U.S. AK companies based on their track record.

I can count on one hand ones that actually made good AK's but the caveat(s) is they all used Combloc parts kits and they are no longer building AK's or they folded up into other companies/closed for good.

Quote:
Have YOU actually shot or even handled one of the Riley Defense rifles?
Do I need to hold a RAS-47 to know it is shit? Do I need to hold an I.O. to know they are shit (I actually held one when I worked in a gun shop and it was absolute trash, no wonder the owner hated AK's when he only had I.O.'s to go on)?

Experience from others is a good way to not waste my money on crap. If there is a ton of negative experience I don't need to own one myself to repeat the obvious. It has saved me many issues and headaches that is why I stick to Combloc or boutique, high-end builders who use genuine parts kits.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #48
Mike47

AKaholic #: 182024

Haters spreading fake news about Riley with no proof yet. At least hold your tongue until Zekes review advances and/or more reviews come out. I've been lurking and learning on this forum for the past few years and see people who seem like the only thing that will make them happy is a Rifle Dynamics caliber rifle at Hipoint carbine prices. Even then I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #49
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike47 View Post
Haters spreading fake news about Riley with no proof yet. At least hold your tongue until Zekes review advances and/or more reviews come out. I've been lurking and learning on this forum for the past few years and see people who seem like the only thing that will make them happy is a Rifle Dynamics caliber rifle at Hipoint carbine prices. Even then I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.
Just don't get mad at me when they turn into another Century, I.O., DDI, PSA, Waffen Werks, Lancaster, Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne, Ohio Rapid Fire, Black Horse Arsenal, Ironclad Armory.......
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #50
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
I might not be phrasing this question correctly but im confused.

I was under the impression the weaker the metal in some places the more prone to failure it may be just like your testing of the RAS and other variants.

Who then set a standard for the hardness of the certain components or is there one at all? Are we just going off of a certain countries blueprint or recommendation?
I can take two different metals that heat treat near the same. Get both the hardness I want. But one will be better suited for a certain task as opposed to the other. There are a lot of different factors that play into the steel being specked for the correct job needed.

Here where I work we use tool steels all day long hardened to 58-62 Rockwell "c" scale.

Some steels are better suited for impact, others torque, and some are better for wear. Finding steel with the correct properties for the task at hand can sometimes be a little tricky....and expensive.

I can get two different pieces of metal to 58Rc. One will be more brittle and the other could have a better tensile strength. But both are 58Rc. The question is....which one do you use?

So picking the right steel for the job is critical. Making a cheap (money wise) Ak will require finding methods and steels that are "good enough" and keep the cost down.

When making a $5 part you wont use a $6 piece of material.

This is the problem we are having now with the all American made Ak's.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #51
Mike47

Quote:
Just don't get mad at me when they turn into another Century, I.O., DDI, PSA, Waffen Werks, Lancaster, Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne, Ohio Rapid Fire, Black Horse Arsenal, Ironclad Armory.......
I won't but everyone deserves a fair chance.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #52
mengra1
Veteran Member

Quote:
So excited to quiet some of these guys. For the rest...well...no amount of trial or testing will ever suffice if it isn't from oversees. You know, being that so many of them own Riley's or go to war with their guns and all.

They condemn Riley before a test comes out by a reputable individual yet are the same guys who buy a gun and are concerned about the finish over function. Cool you own a thousand dollar gun and are part of the cool kids club yet can't hit the side of a barn with it or shoot it alot anyway. While guys with beaters and cheap wasrs and yugos outshoot and outclass you.

If you take offense to this then youre one of them.

Cheers for Riley on listening. Selector issue is already being addressed on future guns. Nice. I don't see arsenal giving a fuck or on here pledging to fix their bubbling paint barrels...

Last edited by mengra1; 02-15-2017 at 01:42 PM.
mengra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #53
XENOMORPH

Quote:
You seem like you want them to fail, why not wait and see? Just cause other u.s companies have blown it dosent mean someone cant finally get it right.
They're not claiming cadilliac quality/finnish they stated they are going for entry level /value functional rifle.

I mean shit everybody has givin psa multiple chances
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #54
Basenjishunt

AKaholic #: 173053

Quote:
You seem like you want them to fail, why not wait and see? Just cause other u.s companies have blown it dosent mean someone cant finally get it right.
They're not claiming cadilliac quality/finnish they stated they are going for entry level /value functional rifle.
+1
Basenjishunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #55
mengra1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
I can take two different metals that heat treat near the same. Get both the hardness I want. But one will be better suited for a certain task as opposed to the other. There are a lot of different factors that play into the steel being specked for the correct job needed.

Here where I work we use tool steels all day long hardened to 58-62 Rockwell "c" scale.

Some steels are better suited for impact, others torque, and some are better for wear. Finding steel with the correct properties for the task at hand can sometimes be a little tricky....and expensive.

I can get two different pieces of metal to 58Rc. One will be more brittle and the other could have a better tensile strength. But both are 58Rc. The question is....which one do you use?

So picking the right steel for the job is critical. Making a cheap (money wise) Ak will require finding methods and steels that are "good enough" and keep the cost down.

Outstanding explanation in lay terms that I can understand. Thank you sir
Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #56
Mike47

Quote:
So excited to quiet some of these guys. For the rest...well...no amount of trial or testing will ever suffice if it isn't from oversees. You know, being that so many of them own Riley's or go to war with their guns and all.

They condemn Riley before a test comes out by a reputable individual yet are the same guys who buy a gun and are concerned about the finish over function. Cool you own a thousand dollar gun and are part of the cool kids club yet can't hit the side of a barn with it or shoot it alot anyway. While guys with beaters and cheap wasrs and yugos outshoot and outclass you.

Cheers for Riley on listening. Selector issue is already being addressed on future guns. Nice. I don't see arsenal giving a fuck or on here pledging to fix their bubbling paint barrels...
Old 02-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #57
mengra1
Veteran Member

Quote:

Amen I touched on this in the previous thread. They aren't attacking the high end market. They are fine being their own segment and filling a functionality and cost based happy medium. In rooting hard for them you root hard for aks increasing in value and dropping in price across the board.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #58
mengra1
Veteran Member

Quote:

There's so much room now for activities! !
Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #59
XENOMORPH

Quote:

Great info...
Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #60
fear21

AKaholic #: 175672

Like I said in the last thread, all of you guys rooting for Riley to become the next best thing have to understand that the people that frequent this board (and others in the AK community) have been burned more times than they can count by the latest greatest US made rifle. A negative reaction / outlook is a given at this point. Thus far, nobody has proven themselves to be up to the standard of combloc rifles, and some have proven to be downright dangerous.

I would like to see Riley do well - but I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, and especially not like some of those here already tripping over their own feet reaching for their wallets. Personally, I've already decided that I'm never going to buy an AK that hasn't been manufactured in a combloc factory. Full stop. However, again, I wish Riley well and am eager to see the results of some hard testing.
fear21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #61
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it but I am just stating how it is with U.S. AK companies based on their track record.

I can count on one hand ones that actually made good AK's but the caveat(s) is they all used Combloc parts kits and they are no longer building AK's or they folded up into other companies/closed for good.

Do I need to hold a RAS-47 to know it is shit? Do I need to hold an I.O. to know they are shit (I actually held one when I worked in a gun shop and it was absolute trash, no wonder the owner hated AK's when he only had I.O.'s to go on)?

Experience from others is a good way to not waste my money on crap. If there is a ton of negative experience I don't need to own one myself to repeat the obvious. It has saved me many issues and headaches that is why I stick to Combloc or boutique, high-end builders who use genuine parts kits.
Agree with most of what you state but there IS NOT "a ton of negative experience" with these (Riley Defense) rifles. No need to condemn an unknown fledgling company just because they are American.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #62
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've been lurking and learning on this forum for the past few years and see people who seem like the only thing that will make them happy is a Rifle Dynamics caliber rifle at Hipoint carbine prices. Even then I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.
Sure seems that way.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #63
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
Named everyone except Rifle Dynamics and DA, both $1,500+. Hmm.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #64
Abaddon_GC

AKaholic #: 191334

Quote:
There's so much room now for activities! !
Best quote of the movie.
Abaddon_GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #65
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:

+1

Quote:

+2
Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #66
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
I've been lurking and learning on this forum for the past few years and see people who seem like the only thing that will make them happy is a Rifle Dynamics caliber rifle at Hipoint carbine prices. Even then I'm sure they'd find something to complain about.
Well that's how it should be. My best friend just won a WASR 10/63 UF on Gun Auction today for $525...SAR-1s routinely go for 550-600 at auctions. Anyone with a brain will be buying those or waiting for an increase in imports. Nobody really wants anyone to actually fail and lose money etc etc, but at the same time we all aren't gonna kiss ass...Riley is using questionable build techniques to make these rifles so the scrutiny should be expected...With that being said I do think most people should wait for the shooting test and Mel's test to really dig this things grave, if there's a grave to dig.

As a side note though 500 rounds is nothing....That's one range trip for me.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #67
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
Named everyone except Rifle Dynamics and DA, both $1,500+. Hmm.
Built from kits that were de-milled from military spec rifles from comm-block countries. This is why they work better. All the guess work has been taken out of it. Just get the parts back together.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #68
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:
Built from kits that were de-milled from military spec rifles from comm-block countries. This is why they work better. All the guess work has been taken out of it. Just get the parts back together.
YES! Haha. Thanks Mel.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #69
XENOMORPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Well that's how it should be. My best friend just won a WASR 10/63 UF on Gun Auction today for $525...SAR-1s routinely go for 550-600 at auctions. Anyone with a brain will be buying those or waiting for an increase in imports. Nobody really wants anyone to actually fail and lose money etc etc, but at the same time we all aren't gonna kiss ass...Riley is using questionable build techniques to make these rifles so the scrutiny should be expected...With that being said I do think most people should wait for the shooting test and Mel's test to really dig this things grave, if there's a grave to dig.

As a side note though 500 rounds is nothing....That's one range trip for me.
All true, but for people stuck in cali we dont have the same options, some guns are banned by model, prices are already inflated here , we cant go online and get the same deals cause we have to first even get it from a seller or dealer that will convert and ship in legal config (adds cost) then we have to pay sales tax no matter from where we bought it, dros, and transfer fee after all said and done even a wasr is around 800 now for us..
Old 02-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #70
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
No need to condemn an unknown fledgling company just because they are American.
Yeah...
That's like un-American or something.