Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #106
mengra1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184774

zeke, couple questions:

1. being that this rifle recoils more than the others you have, are you curious as to whether or not this barrels gas port is over sized as it was in a similar but different competitors barrel? did it look drilled larger when you looked down the barrel and noticed it was a 90 degree port?

and,

2. how does the front wall of the rear trunnion look after 500 rounds? is the trunnion wall being smacked by the carrier and causing the Cyclops imprint? recoil spring impressions? cast, cast/milled, milled? strong? weak?

thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #107
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Zeke, if your looking for some more rounds to put through it I've got two cases of mis marked kilmnovsk that could be donated for science.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #108
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

AKaholic #: 155579

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengra1 View Post
zeke, couple questions:

1. being that this rifle recoils more than the others you have, are you curious as to whether or not this barrels gas port is over sized as it was in a similar but different competitors barrel? did it look drilled larger when you looked down the barrel and noticed it was a 90 degree port?

and,

2. how does the front wall of the rear trunnion look after 500 rounds? is the trunnion wall being smacked by the carrier and causing the Cyclops imprint? recoil spring impressions? cast, cast/milled, milled? strong? weak?

thanks
Can't really see the port. Its going to have to wait until I take the rifle apart.

The rear trunnion seems to be holding up well, it is a cast part. It has been kissed by the carrier. not anywhere near as bad as some. I didn't really notice too much more recoil than other variants, mainly because I immediately wused out and used the JMAC brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
Zeke, if your looking for some more rounds to put through it I've got two cases of mis marked kilmnovsk that could be donated for science.
Send me an email Zeke@Zekeshoots.com My PM box keeps filling up faster than I can purge it. Is this the stuff that was marked not corrosive and ended up being corrosive? I would have no problem running it through.
vipergts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #109
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOMORPH View Post
You seem like you want them to fail, why not wait and see? Just cause other u.s companies have blown it dosent mean someone cant finally get it right.
They're not claiming cadilliac quality/finnish they stated they are going for entry level /value functional rifle.

I mean shit everybody has givin psa multiple chances
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
Agree with most of what you state but there IS NOT "a ton of negative experience" with these (Riley Defense) rifles. No need to condemn an unknown fledgling company just because they are American.
I guess you never heard the saying that past performance is a good indicator of future success. American AK companies own failures in spades.

I only call it as I see it.

If American companies start putting out stuff to the same level as their foreign counterparts I will change my tune but that day hasn't come yet and I don't see Riley changing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
Built from kits that were de-milled from military spec rifles from comm-block countries. This is why they work better. All the guess work has been taken out of it. Just get the parts back together.
+1

I didn't count them because they are boutique builders not general commercial enterprises putting out a lot of supply.

Vector, Arsenal USA (not to be confused with Arsenal Las Vegas, two completely different companies), Gordon Tech, and DDI (when they used surplus kits) were good American assmblers who delivered on a consistent basis not charging an arm and a leg like the boutique guys. Of course the main caveat is most parts were surplus, not American substandard trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XENOMORPH View Post
Yes.... because their casting proved itself to not be shit already...

And i dont see ddi's problems as that big a deal 2 extractors and a weld on 1 stock...

I just got burned by psa's kit and lies but at some point you gotta take the tin foil hat off.
It isn't about conspiracy it is about the facts as they are and actually knowing about AK's to begin with.

I am sick of this substandard crap being pushed out on the market. I want my damn imports back or a manufacturer stateside to finally build one the correct way that will last and not be a range toy.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #110
Rotorflyr

AKaholic #: 70502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
I guess you never heard the saying that past performance is a good indicator of future success. American AK companies own failures in spades.

I am sick of this substandard crap being pushed out on the market. I want my damn imports back or a manufacturer stateside to finally build one the correct way that will last and not be a range toy.
All valid points, though the days of inexpensive imports are likely a thing of the past, and let's face it, while some some may hunt with them, and some may think they're going to use them in a zombie apocalypse etc the majority of people who are buying AK's (of any $ amount) Aren't using them for anything other then "range toy's" no matter what they may tell themselves.

Hopefully some American company (or companies) will get it right, but like a lot of people, I wouldn't hold my breath
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #111
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Uploading the barrel video tonight. Should be live tomorrow. Does anyone have any questions they would like specifically addressed in the receiver video? Still editing it so I have plenty of time to add to it.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #112
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts333 View Post
Uploading the barrel video tonight. Should be live tomorrow. Does anyone have any questions they would like specifically addressed in the receiver video? Still editing it so I have plenty of time to add to it.
Got nothing.
Looking forward to the video.
Thanks for taking your time to do all this.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #113
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179329

Quote:
500 rounds isnt enough to get a good idea of the integrity of the cast parts, and thats just like only a weekends worth of shooting for average akfiler.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #114
Abaddon_GC

AKaholic #: 191334

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
500 rounds isnt enough to get a good idea of the integrity of the cast parts, and thats just like only a weekends worth of shooting for average akfiler.
Well it's still better than nothing imo. There are 4 or so different akfiles members testing these rifles currently so I think even if they all only reach 1-1.5k rounds each we should still get a decent picture of how these things hold up. Not everyone can afford to put 5k rounds through a rifle in a few weeks' time.

I was a bit sad about Rob Ski saying he has no plans on testing Riley's rifles, seems like they have quite a bit of attention on them right now and if they were able to pass a test as thorough as AKOU's it would really boost confidence in Riley's product. It would suck if it turns out that they are making great budget rifles but end up shutting down due to a lack of reputable testers willing to give them a go and thus making people apprehensive to buy their rifles.

I am really considering grabbing one up if no major issues are reported in the next couple weeks, I've finally saved up enough money to get my first rifle ever so I'm pretty anxious to get one. I'm definitely gonna go with an AK variant or a H&K 91 variant, and if I go AK I'm really leaning towards choosing Riley, but may end up buying a WASR if someone discovers some substantial flaw in Riley's rifles.

Time will tell I guess, thanks to all of you guys who have put your hard earned cash toward testing these rifles for us. I know it's not cheap.
Abaddon_GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #115
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon_GC View Post
Well it's still better than nothing imo. There are 4 or so different akfiles members testing these rifles currently so I think even if they all only reach 1-1.5k rounds each we should still get a decent picture of how these things hold up. Not everyone can afford to put 5k rounds through a rifle in a few weeks' time.

I was a bit sad about Rob Ski saying he has no plans on testing Riley's rifles, seems like they have quite a bit of attention on them right now and if they were able to pass a test as thorough as AKOU's it would really boost confidence in Riley's product. It would suck if it turns out that they are making great budget rifles but end up shutting down due to a lack of reputable testers willing to give them a go and thus making people apprehensive to buy their rifles.

I am really considering grabbing one up if no major issues are reported in the next couple weeks, I've finally saved up enough money to get my first rifle ever so I'm pretty anxious to get one. I'm definitely gonna go with an AK variant or a H&K 91 variant, and if I go AK I'm really leaning towards choosing Riley, but may end up buying a WASR if someone discovers some substantial flaw in Riley's rifles.

Time will tell I guess, thanks to all of you guys who have put your hard earned cash toward testing these rifles for us. I know it's not cheap.
For god sakes buy the WASR.

These are still unproven, lowest quality possible, bottom bidder built rifles in my book.

If I was the owner of RD I would have already have contacted Zeke and asked him where he wants his 5K of ammo delivered.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #116
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Cast shit is still cast shit.

I don't care if Ruger has been casting shit since God rested on the seventh day.

Cast bolts, carriers, trunnions, recoil assemblies are shit, pictures show they are shit and will fail at any time. No need to test.......

Rob's right.
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #117
Mike47

AKaholic #: 182024

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64890 View Post
Cast shit is still cast shit.

I don't care if Ruger has been casting shit since God rested on the seventh day.

Cast bolts, carriers, trunnions, recoil assemblies are shit, pictures show they are shit and will fail at any time. No need to test.......

Rob's right.
So do you like cast parts or nah?
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #118
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike47 View Post
Battlefield LasVegas runs full auto Wasrs and gets around 50k rounds out of them before the receiver cracks.

If my choice is a $600 Wasr or a $500 AK using cast shit where it counts, I'll pay the extra hundred bucks.

Do you think your cast parts are any different than the pictures of failed cast parts available?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #119
Abaddon_GC

Quote:
Sounds like a big fan.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #120
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
You are more than welcome to donate to the cause. As I have asked several times in this thread already. I have 2k lined up already for the next rifle.
I would be willing to run one to 10k if I had enough donated to the cause.
http://www.patreon.com/zekeshoots
Old 03-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #121
Mike47

Quote:
Battlefield LasVegas runs full auto Wasrs and gets around 50k rounds out of them before the receiver cracks.

If my choice is a $600 Wasr or a $500 AK using cast shit where it counts, I'll pay the extra hundred bucks.

Do you think your cast parts are any different than the pictures of failed cast parts available?
Isn't it being brought to light that some trunnions that we previously thought to be forged in combloc AKs are actually cast? I might be wrong but I believe that's what I've read a couple times when skimming thru some recent threads. If that is the case then it would be proven that cast DONE RIGHT can work no?

Last edited by Mike47; 03-18-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #122
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Video is live. Original post will be amended.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #123
njax99

AKaholic #: 172605

Quote:
Video is live. Original post will be amended.

Good video
Old 03-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #124
XENOMORPH

AKaholic #: 190955

Wow still lookin pretty good!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #125
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Isn't it being brought to light that some trunnions that we previously thought to be forged in combloc AKs are actually cast? I might be wrong but I believe that's what I've read a couple times when skimming thru some recent threads. If that is the case then it would be proven that cast DONE RIGHT can work no?
"DONE RIGHT" seems to be the point.

Has anyone ran 50k rounds thru an American cast POS?

If they did, did it fail, when did it fail, how did it fail?

I asked the guy who claimed to be from Riley about their testing.......silence. At least PSA claimed 10k-15k rounds.

It's your money not mine. I'll pay the extra 100 bucks for a Wasr instead of your unproven, untested guinea pig.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #126
Mike47

Quote:

I asked the guy who claimed to be from Riley about their testing.......silence. At least PSA claimed 10k-15k rounds.

It's your money not mine. I'll pay the extra 100 bucks for a Wasr instead of your unproven, untested guinea pig.
Everything has to start somewhere. Even the Wasr a long time ago was once unproven and untested.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #127
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:

To be fair, if they did claim to have 50k rounds through one of their rifles, would you believe them? Especially after I.O. claimed that their rifles were being tested to 10k rounds in many cases .
I sure wouldn't.

I do agree that if one is simply looking for a good battle proven AK, drop that extra $100 and go WASR every time.

Doesn't mean that I'm not curious to see if this company's rifles are actually better than all the other American made stuff out there though.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM   #128
Mike47

Also I don't mind having fun testing a "guinea pig" rifle if it helps us all get more information about it in the long run. There's alot more boring ways to spend $500.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #129
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:

I have seen wasrs, paps and arsenals with far fewer than 10k break and wear out. I have also seen glocs and 1911's fail. Catastrophically. I have seen enough that I would rather build an Ak than buy one. Everyone cries foul when they see funky rivets yet overlook some of the rivets that are god awful ugly from cut up kits.
I also spoke with Riley owners about their testing and they were quite open about it to me, and like everyone else here, I dont believe it till I see it.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #130
EngineerPE

AKaholic #: 190613

Gents, telling you about my testing is an exercise in futility as is evident here. Do you think for one moment that if my testing wasn't good I'll be selling rifles when I am starting up...I am not here to get sucked into back and forth conversations that don't are useless, imho. To me the most important test is the feedback from folks who actually own the gun and have tried it and continue to do so. The members that have bought my guns have so far seem to be satisfied with their purchase and the few that have actually contacted me have been more than happy with their overall experience. Thank you to all who put their money and time to do so; i know it is not cheap and takes valuable time away from your families and activities.
Other brands or what folks decide to purchase with their hard earned money is non of my business; your money, your decision, all the power to you. My concern is to make sure that the rifles I am putting out are quality rifles and my customer is happy. My customer is my asset (not my "guinea pig") and my product's ambassador.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #131
Abaddon_GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerPE View Post
Gents, telling you about my testing is an exercise in futility as is evident here. Do you think for one moment that if my testing wasn't good I'll be selling rifles when I am starting up...I am not here to get sucked into back and forth conversations that don't are useless, imho. To me the most important test is the feedback from folks who actually own the gun and have tried it and continue to do so. The members that have bought my guns have so far seem to be satisfied with their purchase and the few that have actually contacted me have been more than happy with their overall experience. Thank you to all who put their money and time to do so; i know it is not cheap and takes valuable time away from your families and activities.
Other brands or what folks decide to purchase with their hard earned money is non of my business; your money, your decision, all the power to you. My concern is to make sure that the rifles I am putting out are quality rifles and my customer is happy. My customer is my asset (not my "guinea pig") and my product's ambassador.
I know the files can be hard on new companies, and while I understand where it comes from, I would rather not become cynical to the point that I think every new company is involved in some conspiracy to sell people garbage and take their hard earned money.

Keep in mind though, while there are a few very vocal folks on here who have enormous chips on their shoulders, there are many people who rarely, if ever, post but still read the files daily. You posting here defending your product is not futile, there are people out there who will appreciate your honesty and transparency and will give your product a fair chance.

This is why I'll be buying one of your rifles once you get a new shipment out to the guys over at Atlantic Firearms. (do it now!)

Also, while I am nowhere near as knowledgable as people like Zeke, Mel, and Rob, I will be documenting my experiences with the Riley rifle once I get it in my hands. Most likely the thread will only be pictures(updated/replaced after every shooting trip so you guys can see the current state of the rifle without wading through tons of photos) and reports on round count, malfunctions, brands of ammo used, and wear. I may put some videos together but that just depends on if I'm able to get any decent-quality content recorded, might put up an initial video just to get feedback on whether or not it's going to be something you guys want to watch.

Last edited by Abaddon_GC; 03-19-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #132
edsinger

AKaholic #: 192057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon_GC View Post
Keep in mind though, while there are a few very vocal folks on here who have enormous chips on their shoulders, there are many people who rarely, if ever, post but still read the files daily. You posting here defending your product is not futile, there are people out there who will appreciate your honesty and transparency and will give your product a fair chance.
^^^ THIS ^^^^

I will buy one at some point.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #133
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsinger View Post
^^^ THIS ^^^^

I will buy one at some point.
Instead of buying shitty Century product and an unknown Riley product with former ties to IO, you should just put your money together and buy a Combloc. Do it once and do it right.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #134
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Is it just me or did anyone read this to yourself with an accent?

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #135
edsinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Is it just me or did anyone read this to yourself with an accent?
Do you make fun of those from Mississippi?

Disclaimer: I was raised there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Instead of buying shitty Century product and an unknown Riley product with former ties to IO, you should just put your money together and buy a Combloc. Do it once and do it right.
Enjoy your Honda.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #136
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Do you make fun of those from Mississippi?

Disclaimer: I was raised there.
Too bad you don't even get the joke, but yet you comment.
Not surprised.

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #137
Lee Armory
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177978
Location: Lee Armory manufactures firearms in addition to custom builds. Phoenix, AZ

Welcome to the files. Find a spot with the vendors.

- Lee Armory

Quote:
Phoenix, AZ 85040
www.leearmory.com
Phone: 262-800-9114
Lee Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #138
edsinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Too bad you don't even get the joke, but yet you comment.
Not surprised.
Oh I got it and laughed, of course then I added my addition to it. I respect him for coming in and at least talking and telling about his business.

As a side note:
Nothing makes me happier than telling a Brit they need to speak proper English...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #139
mengra1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184774

Quote:
Oh I got it and laughed, of course then I added my addition to it. I respect him for coming in and at least talking and telling about his business.

As a side note:
Nothing makes me happier than telling a Brit they need to speak proper English...

Ed please, if you have nothing productive to add to this thread don't shit it up with your banter as you did in your c39 thread. Many here know what theyre risking and gaining with Riley. They are new enough to avoid the bullshit talk.

I mean this respectfully but go to dumping brass. Boutcha is an asset to this community and you haven't offered much lately other than calling guys AK snobs. Get off the thread or read, absorb, and remain silent unless you have feedback. Genuine feedback.

Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt man.

Stop being standoffish and become a community member here and make friends; something you haven't done so far it seems.

Don't multi quote your response, for once, you don't have to have the last word to be respected.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #140
edsinger

I will post in the threads I see fit to. I am interested in the Riley guns and following the threads accordingly.

I have not been standoffish to those that have not been dicks, simple really.

I usually quote the responses as I find them easier to read that way, if you don't like them then you can skip over them, not hard to do.

Just a note for ya. PMs do not seem to agree with your assessment.

Also I am not looking for respect, I do not need it. It and 99 cents would get me a cup of coffee......I have a feeling that on this board I would never get it anyway as I am not a bandwagon type guy.

I do not like the NE Patriots.