Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #141
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

Zeke, my hat's off to you, sir. Good series.

John 14:6

DEATH TO ANTIFA!
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #142
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsinger View Post
I will post in the threads I see fit to. I am interested in the Riley guns and following the threads accordingly.

I have not been standoffish to those that have not been dicks, simple really.

I usually quote the responses as I find them easier to read that way, if you don't like them then you can skip over them, not hard to do.

Just a note for ya. PMs do not seem to agree with your assessment.

Also I am not looking for respect, I do not need it. It and 99 cents would get me a cup of coffee......I have a feeling that on this board I would never get it anyway as I am not a bandwagon type guy.

I do not like the NE Patriots.
Trolling across forums are we now, eddy?

John 14:6

DEATH TO ANTIFA!
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #143
mengra1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 184774

Quote:
I will post in the threads I see fit to. I am interested in the Riley guns and following the threads accordingly.

I have not been standoffish to those that have not been dicks, simple really.

I usually quote the responses as I find them easier to read that way, if you don't like them then you can skip over them, not hard to do.

Just a note for ya. PMs do not seem to agree with your assessment.

Also I am not looking for respect, I do not need it. It and 99 cents would get me a cup of coffee......I have a feeling that on this board I would never get it anyway as I am not a bandwagon type guy.

I do not like the NE Patriots.
Well at least you don't seek respect..because you sure have none here
Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #144
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

AKaholic #: 155579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Zeke, my hat's off to you, sir. Good series.
Thank you, I am actually finishing up the next video in the series. I asked another forum member if I could use some of his pics because his rifle is newer than mine and it is easy to spot the updates on his rifle.
What a couple of us have here I am going to refer to as the Beta rifles or First Wave rifles.

I am getting the Tactical version as soon as they get gas blocks back in stock.
That one is going to get run like my East German clone. Thrown, drug... All the fun stuff.
vipergts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #145
EngineerPE

AKaholic #: 190613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Armory View Post
Welcome to the files. Find a spot with the vendors.

- Lee Armory
Thank you Lee Armory.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #146
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

New video later today. Oh, and I just got the parts back from Mel, the results were very, very... interesting. Working on that video for next week.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM   #147
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon_GC View Post
Well it's still better than nothing imo. There are 4 or so different akfiles members testing these rifles currently so I think even if they all only reach 1-1.5k rounds each we should still get a decent picture of how these things hold up. Not everyone can afford to put 5k rounds through a rifle in a few weeks' time.

I was a bit sad about Rob Ski saying he has no plans on testing Riley's rifles, seems like they have quite a bit of attention on them right now and if they were able to pass a test as thorough as AKOU's it would really boost confidence in Riley's product. It would suck if it turns out that they are making great budget rifles but end up shutting down due to a lack of reputable testers willing to give them a go and thus making people apprehensive to buy their rifles.

I am really considering grabbing one up if no major issues are reported in the next couple weeks, I've finally saved up enough money to get my first rifle ever so I'm pretty anxious to get one. I'm definitely gonna go with an AK variant or a H&K 91 variant, and if I go AK I'm really leaning towards choosing Riley, but may end up buying a WASR if someone discovers some substantial flaw in Riley's rifles.

Time will tell I guess, thanks to all of you guys who have put your hard earned cash toward testing these rifles for us. I know it's not cheap.
Why would you wait and buy this over a time-tested wasr? That's pretty stupid.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #148
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Why would you wait and buy this over a time-tested wasr? That's pretty stupid.
Probably for the same reason some people buy a new car over an old car.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #149
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts333 View Post
Probably for the same reason some people buy a new car over an old car.
Lol that's not even comparable....What's this do better than a Wasr? Can this go 50k rounds on full auto? This isn't time tested and as vetted as the wasr so why bother recommending a rifle to a new ak owner that could potentially be a pos....From my understanding all of you Riley testers are at like what? 500 rounds? That's nothing. Not trying to be rude, but cmon really? "Buy a new car over a old one"...Were not talking about cars we're talking about AKs and that's just a really ignorant statment. Your statement could be applied to someone wanting to get an AK-103 over an AKM pattern rifle, not a Riley defense cast USA made akm vs a combloc time tested romanian AKM...
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #150
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Lol that's not even comparable....What's this do better than a Wasr? Can this go 50k rounds on full auto? This isn't time tested and as vetted as the wasr so why bother recommending a rifle to a new ak owner that could potentially be a pos....From my understanding all of you Riley testers are at like what? 500 rounds? That's nothing. Not trying to be rude, but cmon really? "Buy a new car over a old one"...Were not talking about cars we're talking about AKs and that's just a really ignorant statment. Your statement could be applied to someone wanting to get an AK-103 over an AKM pattern rifle, not a Riley defense cast USA made akm vs a combloc time tested romanian AKM...
Comparing two investments that can potentially kill you,due to ignorance or gross neglect, are very good comparisons. i see nothing "ignorant" in the comparison at all.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #151
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

...wait until Zeke shows the results for the parts. They were a little surprising for sure.

Edit: guess I should have said it this way. Wait until Zeke shows the results for the parts before downplaying the rifle.

Last edited by Mel64D; 04-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Mel64D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #152
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Here is part 5. Let me know what you think guys. Watch it all the way to the end! I will have homework for you guys in the next one. Should be this time next week or sooner, not going to be working on it this weekend. I have classes to teach. Gotta love kids.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #153
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Thanks Zeke and Mel for taking your time to further contribute data on this rifle. Contributing to the process of testing has been entertaining if nothing else for me as well. Though not a WASR, I'm slowly growing more impressed with it.
Standing by for the next vid.
Cheers
Old 04-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #154
Mahdimadness76

AKaholic #: 178163

Following!
Mahdimadness76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #155
Mike47

AKaholic #: 182024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa View Post
Thanks Zeke and Mel for taking your time to further contribute data on this rifle. Contributing to the process of testing has been entertaining if nothing else for me as well. Though not a WASR, I'm slowly growing more impressed with it.
Standing by for the next vid.
Cheers
Samsies 😀
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #156
Michael Mitchell

AKaholic #: 191141

Quote:
New video later today. Oh, and I just got the parts back from Mel, the results were very, very... interesting. Working on that video for next week.
Zeke when you reassemble the RD AK you going to go over the dimples on the magwell end with a drill bit to deepen the dimples? and then re dimpling the receiver so you can crush the swell neck rivets to the correct depth?

and as for the bolt is RD going to bevel the sharp edges(basically softening the edges) in the future to minimize the slapping of the bolt into the trunnion?
Michael Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #157
edsinger

AKaholic #: 192057

Quote:
Here is part 5. Let me know what you think guys. Watch it all the way to the end! I will have homework for you guys in the next one. Should be this time next week or sooner, not going to be working on it this weekend.
Fantastic Video, I learned not only about the Riley but about AKs in general.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #158
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mitchell View Post
Zeke when you reassemble the RD AK you going to go over the dimples on the magwell end with a drill bit to deepen the dimples? and then re dimpling the receiver so you can crush the swell neck rivets to the correct depth?

and as for the bolt is RD going to bevel the sharp edges(basically softening the edges) in the future to minimize the slapping of the bolt into the trunnion?
Yes, I am going to touch up the mag well dimples before I put it back together.
I did notice that they have changed that dimension on the bolt on the newer built rifles. This can be seen on Mike47's
Old 04-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #159
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Fantastic Video, I learned not only about the Riley but about AKs in general.

Thanks
Thank you. I have been fleshing out My videos to be more informative. Check out my homeaknomaks video I did in January on triggers.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #160
Michael Mitchell

AKaholic #: 191141

Quote:
Yes, I am going to touch up the mag well dimples before I put it back together.
I did notice that they have changed that dimension on the bolt on the newer built rifles. This can be seen on Mike47's
Yeah I know his trunnion was missing the bolt kiss that yours had.
Michael Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #161
edsinger

AKaholic #: 192057

Quote:
Check out my homeaknomaks video I did in January on triggers.
Might have to do that but I think that might be above my 'gunsmith' skill set. I do however own a Dremel somewhere...
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM   #162
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Might have to do that but I think that might be above my 'gunsmith' skill set. I do however own a Dremel somewhere...
A dremil is like wielding Excalibur. Be careful. Lol.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #163
oldblacktooth

AKaholic #: 182717

Any more updates coming soon?
oldblacktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #164
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Yes. I ended up having a problem with rendering the video I was hoping to have it up by noon yesterday, it will be up tonight. I will have the hardness numbers and other commentary about Riley.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #165
Cravin01

AKaholic #: 191950

This whole thread has been very interesting to watch unfold, you can almost name those who have been burnt in the past and those who still have hope that we can get a good American AKM. I'm glad to see someone step up to the plate, at the very least I get a couple interesting threads to read. As for RD and those willing to make the first purchases more will be at stake, at the price point and cast trunnion it looks like a fair product and honesty is a good place to start.

“Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Cravin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #166
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by овчарка View Post
A good AKM wont have cast parts. Why anyone would willing buy an American AK with cast parts when there are options out there without them is beyond me. Y'all can be the guinea pigs if you want. The rest of us will stick with non-cast stuff.
Thanks for not contributing to the thread.

Everyone that is testing the Riley defenses rifles knows that they are not war factory rifles, and is not testing them because they think it will be better than a com-bloc option. They are simply testing for the sake of science. To see if this young company, who seems very responsive and accommodating to feedback on their products, can make an AK in American that isn't garbage.

Their are people in the US that would rather buy an OK rifle made in America than a good rifle made overseas. I think the hope is that this company will fill that niche.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #167
Jacobsnc

AKaholic #: 192436

I bought a Riley to see if they could cut it in the market. What I see is a U.S. company turning out a low cost weapon that fits the need of the average AK buyer. I think most average shooters will never put 5000 rounds through one. Some on here think they're going to war tomorrow and need the top of the line unit to do battle. The collector is probably not going to be interested, but I think the average guy will like it. I'll see how mine shoots tomorrow.
Jacobsnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #168
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Just wanted to post an update. I wanted to see how many people were coming from where so I didn't post the updated video link yet. And since Im on a mobile phone, I am going to wait till I get home to edit the original post to include the 6th video in the series.

Be sure to leave a comment as to what you think. I will be continuing with the Riley Defense rifle and see what kind of wear I can get out of it.

My objective with my channel is not to just shoot and talk about things. I want you guys to see what I am talking about and why I am talking about it. If you want to see more of these budget AK's broken down and analyzed, consider donating to my patreon to help buffer the cost of investing in these things.
Oh, ps. I'm going to be giving away a Yugo blank here soon so, it would be a good idea to subscribe

Last edited by vipergts333; 04-18-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #169
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
I bought a Riley to see if they could cut it in the market. What I see is a U.S. company turning out a low cost weapon that fits the need of the average AK buyer. I think most average shooters will never put 5000 rounds through one. Some on here think they're going to war tomorrow and need the top of the line unit to do battle. The collector is probably not going to be interested, but I think the average guy will like it. I'll see how mine shoots tomorrow.
The reason I won't buy another AK using cast parts is because it is using cast parts in critical places.

Cast parts have been shown to fail at any time, longevity isn't an issue. Carrier, bolt, and trunnions have shown to simply shatter and fail without notice. Cast might last 3 rounds, it may last 5k before shattering, and may never shatter at all.

I wouldn't rest comfortably just because the cast shit hasn't blown up in your face yet. Jmho

Carry on...........
64890 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #170
Jacobsnc

AKaholic #: 192436

Yes sir, I don't disagree with you. I don't think I would take this as my SHTF piece, but it's not bad for what it is. My next purchase will be a Polish from Atlantic.
Jacobsnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #171
njax99

AKaholic #: 172605

Now hopefully robski will get one for testing
Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #172
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by njax99 View Post
Now hopefully robski will get one for testing
I guess we will have to wait and see. If not, I have a new one on the way.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #173
oldblacktooth

AKaholic #: 182717

Quote:
I guess we will have to wait and see. If not, I have a new one on the way.
Another Riley? Are you going to test tensile strength?
oldblacktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #174
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacktooth View Post
He could just get a front trunnion from Riley and have that sent out. If you take the one from the rifle it will never be returned. Well, not in the same condition you sent it in at least.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #175
vipergts333
Zeke Shoots

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblacktooth View Post
Sort of. I'm going to run it till it dies or I get to 5000, Whatever comes first. Then I am going to pull it apart and see what is wearing and go over it. I would run the one I already have, but I want to get one that has all of the improvements I mentioned in the previous video. And I don't want anything I might have done effecting any part of any test I might do.