Old 03-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #71
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
I honestly don't know.
If RD was purchased by PSA, then they likely would kill the names off. That whole thing hasn't made sense at all as of yet to me.

I realize that's a big "IF" but it has the same character. Leaked news by owners who can't say anything yet. I personally haven't a clue how much money the PSA guys have, if they have enough, it may be the root cause of those CAI employees laid off... Just some WAG (wild ass guesses)
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #72
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 162727

We like wild ass guesses around here. They go well with lies and faults promises.
RF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #73
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

There is a giant AK vacuum out there sucking up all the smaller AK people.
We shall build a solid coffin!

The Sacred War
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #74
MilitaryArms

AKaholic #: 155591

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
If RD was purchased by PSA, then they likely would kill the names off. That whole thing hasn't made sense at all as of yet to me.

I realize that's a big "IF" but it has the same character. Leaked news by owners who can't say anything yet. I personally haven't a clue how much money the PSA guys have, if they have enough, it may be the root cause of those CAI employees laid off... Just some WAG (wild ass guesses)
I don't think PSA did the RD thing, but that's just my gut feeling. I suspect it to be more of a Arsenal/K-Var thing given the proximity. But, once again, I don't know. We'll find out when someone starts talking. It's odd that this buyout has happened already yet no one will mention names. That seems very odd to me.

Last edited by MilitaryArms; 03-11-2017 at 05:05 PM.
MilitaryArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #75
Curt2u
Fanboy of nothing

AKaholic #: 176158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF57 View Post
We like wild ass guesses around here. They go well with lies and faults promises.
They go well with "False" promises also!

(Damn you autocorrect )
Curt2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #76
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post
There is a giant AK vacuum out there sucking up all the smaller AK people.
Despite what Jim says publicly, RD was on the financial ropes. That's true of many small shops the last few years. Some have floated to the top, others have struggled.

With the "Trump slump" in the firearms market space, you can expect to see more companies closing their doors, merging or selling. In the business world we call this a "buyers market".

Many companies made the fatal mistake of rolling the dice on a Presidential election and they bet on a Hillary win. This caused them to buy a bunch of stuff to prepare for panic buying and it left them in a horrible financial position when she lost.

Now we're seeing guns being blown out well below cost by companies struggling to get liquid. This causes a ripple effect where it artificially drives down the price of guns to where even the manufacturers can't make margin when they do manage to find sales because the prices are so low.

The market is going to be soft for quite some time. This soft market is going to make the big boys bigger and the small businesses suffer. When they suffer, they sell to the big boys or they pull up their tent stakes and go home.

As a consumer, enjoy the low prices while they last. Buy now because eventually the market will come back and with the rebound prices will creep back up.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #77
Jooky

AKaholic #: 170813

I've got a little skin in the game, as I bought one of the DDI Hungarian AK-63D underfolders. Had an issue with the stock not locking in the closed position, for which the gun went back and was returned to me in working order. Granted, I haven't punished mine like Robski, it is a nice shooter and I expect I'll get many more years of service out of it. Don't have an opinion on the proprietors of these businesses, but I am sad to see them closing up shop as that reduces competition in the market place and it will eventually drive up costs to us consumers.
Jooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #78
IN RANGE inc.

AKaholic #: 652

If I could only tell the stories..........My last six months at DDI were pure HELL strictly because of the situations involved in the buy out. SHIT you would not believe. Glad to be back under my own roof and rules. My biggest worry was the crew that worked for me. I think as of now ALL have found new jobs several bettered themselves. My shop is back up and running well and my business philosophy has always been "get by not try to get rich and do a fair job at a fair price." I think that is what has let it survive since 1997 in a very fickle market. Good luck and good shooting to all.................
IN RANGE inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #79
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 162727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2u View Post
They go well with "False" promises also!

(Damn you autocorrect )
Lol.. yes. Although faults promises may have something to do with the earth shattering news Dave can't tell us about just yet.
RF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #80
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN RANGE inc. View Post
If I could only tell the stories..........My last six months at DDI were pure HELL strictly because of the situations involved in the buy out. SHIT you would not believe. Glad to be back under my own roof and rules. My biggest worry was the crew that worked for me. I think as of now ALL have found new jobs several bettered themselves. My shop is back up and running well and my business philosophy has always been "get by not try to get rich and do a fair job at a fair price." I think that is what has let it survive since 1997 in a very fickle market. Good luck and good shooting to all.................
Glad to have you back man, loved the work you did on my Krink build
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #81
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Prices were over inflated due to so much competiton buying up parts kits, Izhmash banned, Cugir/Century games and Democrat threats being used as much as possible to drive sales and prices higher.

Alot of what MAC just said I have said before as well, but I am just a long time enthusiast.

With the reduction of smaller shops fighting over parts kits jacking prices up they inevitably bottom back out to the buyers market. This isnt the first time, nor will it be the last time. This is a cyclic repeated process every few years. However with Trump, and FREEDOM the weapons industry has lost its catalyst to drive sales and prices up. Said awhile ago this is going to be the biggest slump in awhile.....SO wait and watch

They will need a new catalyst to drive up fear buying again
.....so watch for the next mass shooting which will be the catalyst. Its like clockwork.....

Even with a GOP controlled Congress, that hasnt stopped legislation attemtps to drive sales

AK Files custom search

Last edited by Aceshigh; 03-11-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #82
TX_1821
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 185967

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengra1 View Post
In a nutshell:

DDI: We are going into production on FORGED AKS!
Us: cool lets see it...

DDI: We are making combo FSBs and side folder and underfolders, teasers on facebook!
Us: cool let's see it...

DDI: FORGED AKS NOW SHIPPING TO DISTRIBUTORS!
Us: cool let's see it...

Us: We have our AKs, now to test...
DDI: cool let's see it, one sent to RobSki!

RobSki: broken extractor guys, ~800 rounds!
Us: not cool...
DDI: we will investigate!

Us: Your extractors are fucked up and sticking out on our guns too DDI...
DDI: Standby while we assess the situation...

RobSki: Ok guys, second extractor broke! Cannot recommend...
Us: Shit...
DDI: Ok guys we have a bad batch of extractors that was left on a table and must have been thrown by mistake into some rifles...

Us: hmmm...ok...

time passes...

DDI: ok guys rumor is true, we have a big merge in the works...
Us: is it PSA?
DDI: can't say....public announcement forthcoming

week later after no public announcement-

DDI: we have partnered with PSA (and fired or let go, (but (maybe?)) relocated our 20+ employees) right before Christmas! it will benefit us both!
Us: cool, lets see it...

Us: ok guys, my side folder stock literally fell off while shoulder firing at the welds...
DDI: ... ...

PSA: We can acknowledge our partner (buy out) of DDI, and look forward to bringing a quality affordable and reliable US produced AK47 to the market, big things to come at shot show!
Us: cool lets see it...

Segway to after release...

Us: my kit is not forged like you lied and said it is and none of my furniture fits, and it is fucked!
PSA: oh, my bad, silly you, we have TIERS of AKs, you owe us $150 more dollars for what we initially promised you for $300. send us your barreled kits, and we will upgrade you (to what we promised you but lied about initially) for free in good faith.

and the beat goes on....

Nailed it,

TX_1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #83
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Wow.....so before the debut of the US Forged Trinity AK, they were already looking to sell??

Did not know that.....

I am guessing you probably have a non disclosure agreement to not divulge??

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #84
IN RANGE inc.

Already sold........
Old 03-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #85
maxxmojo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154628

Quote:
As a consumer, enjoy the low prices while they last. Buy now because eventually the market will come back and with the rebound prices will creep back up.
I'm making a mental note for when 2, 5, 10, or however many years from now when prices go back up and people start bitching along the lines of:

"I remember back in '17 when (insert=Wolf ammo was 20 cents a round / AR's were $400=here) and anything more than that is a ripoff!!!1!!1"

that I'll remember this moment in time, and remind them they should have bought stuff back then but instead they were complaining:

"I remember back in '06 when (insert=bla bla) and anything more than that is a ripoff!!!1!!1".
Clinton and his Assault Weapons Ban where in the news. I asked him if he thought there could be an armed struggle in the US. His words still hold true today, "Men with beer bellies don't make Revolutions".
maxxmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #86
David45

AKaholic #: 182467

I guess Mel isn't going to get his rifle?
David45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #87
BarnOwlLover

AKaholic #: 190949

Quote:
Despite what Jim says publicly, RD was on the financial ropes. That's true of many small shops the last few years. Some have floated to the top, others have struggled.

With the "Trump slump" in the firearms market space, you can expect to see more companies closing their doors, merging or selling. In the business world we call this a "buyers market".

Many companies made the fatal mistake of rolling the dice on a Presidential election and they bet on a Hillary win. This caused them to buy a bunch of stuff to prepare for panic buying and it left them in a horrible financial position when she lost.

Now we're seeing guns being blown out well below cost by companies struggling to get liquid. This causes a ripple effect where it artificially drives down the price of guns to where even the manufacturers can't make margin when they do manage to find sales because the prices are so low.

The market is going to be soft for quite some time. This soft market is going to make the big boys bigger and the small businesses suffer. When they suffer, they sell to the big boys or they pull up their tent stakes and go home.

Well said, Tim. It's indeed a buyer's market with Trump and a pro 2A congress, and the next Supreme Court justices being Republican backed. Granted, the election was too close to call until Trump gained a lot of momentum the last few weeks prior to election day. And I'd argue it was still close until he got the 270 electoral votes to lock up his presidency.

Mind you, I'm not a big politics guy (most politicians in general can kiss my ass irrespective of party allegiance because a lot of them are self-serving scum), but I know the economy, and often it's really simple: build it, and they will come, provided that there's a demand.

I'd love to see a US company mass producing AKs of quality to rival what the Russians and Poles do. Let's think about it: no 922r to get in the way, no EO's like what Obama did with Rostec, and no ATF stonewalling like what they got away with when FB Radom/Marshall Arms tried to get FB Radom to set up a factory in Texas to make Beryl and MSBS rifles.

But at the same time, how many companies have fallen flat on their faces when trying to make US AKs? Many more than I'd care to count, especially since if you have decent stamping presses and CNC machines, a decent quality AK can't be any harder to make than a decent quality AR-15.

Granted, if should Kalashnikov Concern or FB Radom sell AKs on the US market, there will be a demand and they should sell well at least for a while. Mostly because people will pay a premium for a AK with the FB crest and the Polish eagle or the Izhmash armory symbol on them, as well as them being well made and excellent performers.

Gun makers had to hedge their bets for the worst case (Clinton winning), and not being certain on what will happen. It'll take the market a while to recover, but in the short term, enjoy the low prices, and hope that some companies can pull though for better times for all.

I kinda have to compare this to what NASCAR and F1 are going through in the motorsports market. If you wanna get new fans or get old fans back, you can't just make up gimmicks to attract attention. You need a quality product that people want. Also with the WEC/Le Mans 24 hour race, we lost Audi Sport, and might lose Toyota Motorsport GmbH and Porsche Motorsport in the LMP1 class because of rules uncertainty and the ACO trying to get more teams into the class.

You do have to balance concerns to give yourself the best chance. And a lot of firearms companies are on the back foot because of Trump's somewhat unexpected victory.
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #88
Jagick
Sieg Zeon!

AKaholic #: 181226

Quote:
Already sold........
So out of curiosity, if you do talk about it all, what happens to you? Will PSA / DDI take legal action?

Though I understand if you can't exactly answer that question either.
Jagick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #89
IN RANGE inc.

Part of our severance package was a "no PSA" bashing clause. Yes they would have to sue me but if you haven't noticed. I'm not one for airing dirty laundry on the net. I tried to warn someone else but he wouldn't listen.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #90
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
. I tried to warn someone else but he wouldn't listen.
Theres the lawsuit......or one of them

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #91
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post

But at the same time, how many companies have fallen flat on their faces when trying to make US AKs? Many more than I'd care to count, especially since if you have decent stamping presses and CNC machines, a decent quality AK can't be any harder to make than a decent quality AR-15.
AK rifles require more skilled labor than ARs.
Riveting, stamping and welding are not as easy as dropping parts into a mill vise and bumping the green button..

Good stamping presses cost more than cnc mills.

I think I know why the stock welds popped.. I'm just debating where to post it.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #92
DOS AK's
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
They were running low on JB Weld?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #93
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by csspecs View Post
AK rifles require more skilled labor than ARs.
Riveting, stamping and welding are not as easy as dropping parts into a mill vise and bumping the green button..

Good stamping presses cost more than cnc mills.

Bingo.

A common misconception is that AK's are stupid easy to make. Nothing could be further from the truth. As they're currently made, AK's require a lot of very specialized knowledge and experience to make properly. I would argue most AK builders haven't a clue as to what it takes to properly manufacture every single part that's in an AK. Most AK "manufacturers" in the US are little more than marginally skilled assemblers. If they had to make a part, they couldn't do it. If a gun doesn't run right, they couldn't troubleshoot it.

It's like the "it must be forged to be like the Russian AK's" non-sense circulating the internet. I have absolute, irrefutable, 100% proof the Russians are NOT using forged trunions in their guns. But the internet says it's true, so it must be. Now there are American manufacturers in a race to see who can make the best forged parts... and they're going to be nothing like the Russian parts.

But that's another story.

Americans can build a better AK, but it's going to take a lot of research to figure out the recipe that works. The Russians don't do anything by happenstance. Every single part in the AK is made a certain way using certain materials for a reason, and that reason is that it makes the guns work as best as they possibly can. So, while American companies are off chasing their tails building guns out of random materials they *think* are correct, we're never going to have guns that withstand the test of time and lots of rounds.

One thing Americans could do is modernize the manufacturing of the AK, update it, and make it easier to mass produce thereby reducing the skilled man hours it takes to properly produce an AK. The downside is that the end product wouldn't look like a traditional AK, so the AK community would likely reject it.

Until American manufacturers try to figure out how to properly make an AK from the ground up we're going to have continued failures by all.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #94
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Personally I thought the M+M M10X was an attempt at a modernized version of the AK stateside

Didnt catch on so well, but it had issues, and price was higher.

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #95
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS AK's View Post
They were running low on JB Weld?
It is actually a pretty complicated part to weld.. And very easy to think you have it perfect when in fact your welds are compromised.

Welding a part like that is not the same as the rails inside the gun.. Since there are a bunch of welds you start getting shunting that melts the previous welds while screwing up the ones you are on.. You have to run the welder at a higher power setting and use either a square wave module or a square wave to DC unit to get better power flow.. Also you need a LOT more pressure to keep the extra heat from causing expulsions at the weld site.

I can't tell if the welds are from a dual tip unit or not. They should be made with a dual tip unit as they are too close to each other.
I have heard that refractory tips can help because you can really crank up the heat and forging pressure, but I have not used them myself..
And the only way to know if your welds are ok is to break a sample that mimics the item you are making. Or is a full sized sample.

Last edited by csspecs; 03-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.
csspecs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #96
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Personally I thought the M+M M10X was an attempt at a modernized version of the AK stateside

Didnt catch on so well, but it had issues, and price was higher.
That isn't really an AK outside of the bolt and similarities in the trigger group. It's a straight up clone of the Sig 550 made in the U.S. As a matter of fact, you can drop a Sig 551A1 bolt carrier right in the M+M gun. It won't fire (the bolt won't fit due to slight differences) but it's a nearly perfect clone of the Sig.

It also has the recoil spring wrapped around the gas piston. I'm not a fan of this design because what happens to spring steel when you get it super hot? Where the Russians put the recoil spring originally is the best place for extreme use, IMHO.

The M+M rifle is neat though. Now that Sig has dropped their line of broken ass 55x guns, this is the only way to get a Swiss Sig 550 clone unless you buy one of the Sig USA contraptions used.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #97
Art Vandaley

AKaholic #: 191257

About two years ago I lurked a lot on AK Files, read thousands of posts, but wasn't a member. I was just taking it all in. David Fillers was loved in here and DDI got massive praise! Very few people would even remotely criticize DDI. I go away for a year and sign up for the 'Files and DAYUM!! How things have changed!!

Seems like there is a despised, loathed, anathemized unholy trinity here of Fuller-Yeager-Fillers!

Sometimes you just have to accept certain things should only be made or grown in certain places. You want Caviar? You go to the Caspian Sea. You want fine wines? France. You want to watch good hockey? Canadians. Good electronics and cars? Japan. Diamonds? Africa.

You want a solid AK the way an AK should be built? No drama, no headspacing oddities, no funky abnormalities???---Combloc countries---Russia, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria. I'm done with American AK saviors.
Art Vandaley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #98
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandaley View Post
You want a solid AK the way an AK should be built? No drama, no headspacing oddities, no funky abnormalities???---Combloc countries---Russia, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria. I'm done with American AK saviors.
Hogwash!

You can get outstanding wine from places other than France. We can grow better diamonds in a laboratory than you can find in Africa. But all that's another story.

America most certainly can make a better AK. It's not rocket science. All it takes is a modest effort by those attempting to do it to exactly replicate the Russian recipe. So far no one has attempted that.

Instead, they're all off making up their own requirements out of the thin blue air, or taking what the internet thinks it needs (forged trunions) and making it come true.

Once someone with money, manufacturing knowledge and business knowledge focuses their attention on building a solid AK, game over for the Commies. Canted sights, out of round barrels, botched welds and screwed up rivets that Ivan jacked up after a 2 day Vodka bender will be a thing of the past.

The downside? Cost. That means you'll have bottom dwelling guns like PSA feeding the "I never pay more than $500 for anything including cancer treatment" crowd and the expensive, well made rifles will sell to a much smaller audience that buy nice things like Noveske, JP Enterprises, HK, etc.

It will happen someday. Sadly, it takes things like an Obama Presidency to bring such things about. Now that gun owners feel safe for the time being, there's no need for a nicely made US AK. Once another Democrat gets in office and the import bans resume, then there will be a mass scurry to make an American AK again.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #99
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
Instead, they're all off making up their own requirements out of the thin blue air, or taking what the internet thinks it needs (forged trunions) and making it come true.
Why would you say this ,after just saying this??
Quote:
. The Russians don't do anything by happenstance. Every single part in the AK is made a certain way using certain materials for a reason, and that reason is that it makes the guns work as best as they possibly can. .
You contradicted yourself....Russians used forged AK parts for a reason
You had it right in your first post in my opinion

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #100
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandaley View Post
About two years ago I lurked a lot on AK Files, read thousands of posts, but wasn't a member. I was just taking it all in. David Fillers was loved in here and DDI got massive praise! Very few people would even remotely criticize DDI. I go away for a year and sign up for the 'Files and DAYUM!! How things have changed!!

Seems like there is a despised, loathed, anathemized unholy trinity here of Fuller-Yeager-Fillers!

Sometimes you just have to accept certain things should only be made or grown in certain places. You want Caviar? You go to the Caspian Sea. You want fine wines? France. You want to watch good hockey? Canadians. Good electronics and cars? Japan. Diamonds? Africa.

What about China? Poland? Egypt? Yugo? German? Hungary?

Exactly how many countries have hosted AK manufacturing anyhow?

I think if they can do it, we can too...
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #101
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:

Economical scales of cost have to be factored in

Something that costs $200 to make in Russia, may cost $1200 to make here
Izhmash is a 200 year old weapons manufacturing plant with all tooling paid for ages ago
Exactly why China has gotten much of the US manufacturing base exported to them

The market will not support the costs to start up AK manufacturing from scratch
Costs appear to be too high, and requires the correct environment (Democrats) to
keep panic height in prices

Just my view....

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #102
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Why would you say this ,after just saying this??

You contradicted yourself....Russians used forged AK parts for a reason
You had it right in your first post in my opinion
There's no contradiction there.

They never used forged parts in the AKM.

The quality of assembly is another thing. The Russians are all over the map. If there ever was a "Friday" product, it would be one that comes out of Russia. Consistency isn't one of their strong suits.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #103
MilitaryArms

Quote:

We could do it better. What those former com-bloc countries had at the time was assistance from Russia and the TDP.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #104
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
There's no contradiction there.

They never used forged parts in the AKM.
I guess I dont follow that logic......

Mind if I ask what you think the parts were made of then?? Not talkin about the original milled

Very specifically, front trunnions

AK Files custom search
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM   #105
MilitaryArms

Quote:
I guess I dont follow that logic......

Mind if I ask what you think the parts were made of then??
I don't think, I know and that's the subject for a future video. I may ask Rob to present the video and hand over the documentation, that no one else has in the U.S. manufacturing space at the moment I might add, and let him put it in his own words. He's the accepted AK guy on the 'net, even by me, so it would be best that he is the one to share that info if he chooses to do so.

I got tired of all the speculation and false information so I personally invested considerable time and money to get to the bottom of it. When I release it I will be giving the recipe away for free to anyone who cares to replicate it. Right now I'm watching as companies chase their tails talking about "the best way to make an AK".

I've already talked to Rob about it and when he comes to visit I'll share all the info with him.

Last edited by MilitaryArms; 03-11-2017 at 09:25 PM.
MilitaryArms is offline   Reply With Quote