Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101
Default FM-AK308-22

Not as popular as the 5.45 and 7.62 so it seems. Should I buy one of these over the other Veprs left on the market? Does it ONLY take the low cap extremely expensive Vepr 308 mags?
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
akhacker

AKaholic #: 190707

I just got one, very rare (supposedly) better hurry up.
akhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
drmoose

AKaholic #: 156117

Get csspecs mags. 20 rounders.
drmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Thanks for the curse, OP. /sarc

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308037

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273

Last edited by boutcha; 06-23-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: add link
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Idratherbapickle

AKaholic #: 193120

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post

God damn it
Idratherbapickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
the moon rulz

AKaholic #: 187847

Quote:
the moon rulz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
the moon rulz

Also, one knock on the FM-308 is it's relative inaccuracy. I have a buddy who owns one, he owns several other AK's, he's a good shot. He was complaining of the gun being innacurate. Granted he's just one guy but that was the feedback I got from him.

Last edited by the moon rulz; 06-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by the moon rulz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
God damn it
Quote:
Yes, it's all my fault. I take full responsibility for the ban.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

That's some bad juju right there!
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
praxidike

Quote:
Also, one knock on the FM-308 is it's relative inaccuracy. I have a buddy who owns one, he owns several other AK's, he's a good shot. He was complaining of the gun being innacurate. Granted he's just one guy but that was the feedback I got from him.
I just purchased one, a FM-AK308-22, from Kvar. I have a slant back Vepr chambered in 308 that seemed to be pretty accurate at 100 yards at least. AKOU has a video using a slant 308, and he did okay with his as well. I assume the only difference between the two models is just the stock? I wonder what distance and what type of accuracy he was getting at that distance?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #11
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
That's some bad juju right there!
Hope you're being sarcastic too?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
Hope you're being sarcastic too?
Totally, just a bad joke.
shajopma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajopma View Post
Totally, just a bad joke.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
WASRMAN

AKaholic #: 192243

Only 10 AK-FM308 left at Kvar. I'm all Vepr'd up, but if someone wants one now is the time.

Also anyone know how many of these were made? I seem to recall seeing it was a limited run of 300, but can't find out where I got that from.
WASRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #15
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660

Quote:
I imagine there's actually many people who called ATF asking why Vepr aren't included in Obummer's ban, and ATF took notes.

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #16
love my ak47
Wild man

AKaholic #: 162758

Quote:
Old 06-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #17
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

There are many, much better, .308 rifles.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #18
the moon rulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
Well dang...
Old 06-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #19
Antifreezer

AKaholic #: 179490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigiloso View Post
Please go back to the ar form you cane from. 8 thou posts and u still don't get it. I come here to learn and get current veiws on ak and such, not to hear how so many other firearms are this much better and how aks sucks. GTFO! I and others here have chosen and admired this system and can not stand the added negativity that has gone on against our decision of respecting this rifle. I am sick of seeing us getting kicked in the ribs and say'n oh well. Its not a good time for this, AT ALL, SO STOP!
Antifreezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #20
Antifreezer

I own the 21" version slant back and love it. But I have had more jams with this rifle then any other AK I own. In the beginning it would sometimes lock back after a shot and would have to knock it forward into battery. It also hangs up while charging sometimes, which is annoying. I've had several spent rounds eject, hit the top cover and end up backwards jammed between the bolt and the chamber effectively destroying the brass case. Not sure if I'm the only one this happens to, but I have taken the top cover off and spent cases have flown 20' 30' (maybe more) behind me. Also I mounted way to big of optic on a R.S. mount and am unable to remove it, the trigger, or gas tube without losing zero, but can still get to the barrel for cleaning purposes. So know your optic options if you go that route. IMHO the AK in 308 seems a little ify ymmv.
My advice buy only if funds are available when received play with it lightly and if you get bit by vepr fever go shoot it or wait till there is only 2nd hand Veprs left and then make that decision. If you don't like, have trouble, or dislike shooting it for any reason sell at a slight increase There is a reason they were the last ones left, $.50 ammo is hardly the most popular thing to deal with in any semi-auto.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #21
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreezer View Post
I own the 21" version slant back and love it. But I have had more jams with this rifle then any other AK I own. In the beginning it would sometimes lock back after a shot and would have to knock it forward into battery. It also hangs up while charging sometimes, which is annoying. I've had several spent rounds eject, hit the top cover and end up backwards jammed between the bolt and the chamber effectively destroying the brass case. Not sure if I'm the only one this happens to, but I have taken the top cover off and spent cases have flown 20' 30' (maybe more) behind me. Also I mounted way to big of optic on a R.S. mount and am unable to remove it, the trigger, or gas tube without losing zero, but can still get to the barrel for cleaning purposes. So know your optic options if you go that route. IMHO the AK in 308 seems a little ify ymmv.
My advice buy only if funds are available when received play with it lightly and if you get bit by vepr fever go shoot it or wait till there is only 2nd hand Veprs left and then make that decision. If you don't like, have trouble, or dislike shooting it for any reason sell at a slight increase There is a reason they were the last ones left, $.50 ammo is hardly the most popular thing to deal with in any semi-auto.
I also have a 21 inch 308 slant Vepr the same as you. Mines does not have any of the problems yours has had.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 AM   #22
Antifreezer

Quote:
I also have a 21 inch 308 slant Vepr the same as you. Mines does not have any of the problems yours has had.
It could be the steady diet of zqi as far as the ejection issue, none of my reloads have done this. But as far as the charging issue, I'm not sure maybe getting hung up on the trigger. I noticed it also happening to rob in the one video with his 308 as well. It really is not a big deal, but notable. The extremely laud brake attached just makes it worrh it, to me.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #23
akhacker

AKaholic #: 190707

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASRMAN View Post
Only 10 AK-FM308 left at Kvar. I'm all Vepr'd up, but if someone wants one now is the time.

Also anyone know how many of these were made? I seem to recall seeing it was a limited run of 300, but can't find out where I got that from.
KVAR may have stated it.
akhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #24
Malev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 64827

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhacker View Post
KVAR may have stated it.
KVAR posted in April that only a limited run of 300 were to be made

The Legendary 300 Limited Run of Vepr FM AK308-22

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303853
Malev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhacker View Post
I just got one, very rare (supposedly) better hurry up.
"Rare" in this case means "not popular". Over time, as an investment, the value of this rifle will not hold up as well as a popular caliber VEPR such as the 7.62x39's. So...if your buying for an investment...forgetaboutit. If you're buying it 'cause you actually want to own and shoot it...then go for it!
Martensite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #26
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadScorpius View Post
I imagine there's actually many people who called ATF asking why Vepr aren't included in Obummer's ban, and ATF took notes.
I'm sure of it.
Some people can't just shut up and have to have answers to questions better left unanswered.

I had a deal worked out with a vendor on Gunbroker that offered up to a 6 month layaway.
So since I contacted them, I didn't use the Auction.
I got an email Friday evening, that they were returning my down payment and not honoring or deal for a 223 VEPR.
I shot an email back when I received it, he stated he would contact me on Monday when he returned to the office.
I'm pissed, I can't really afford it. But, the longer layaway if needed was my only way.
I haven't had a credit card in years, so now I have no credit history.
Freaking crazy, I paid off all my debts when I sold my other home years ago and swore off debt. But I had perfect credit when I did. I guess my credit report is bare and I'm NOT accepting a credit card with astronomical interest rates.
I don't have much of an income any longer, so that doesn't help.

I just think this whole VEPR deal is bullshit.
I should have "pulled the trigger" on it last week, but didn't want to pay the "BUY NOW" price.
So I contacted them and worked out a fair deal, and then VEPRs get banned.
I been stewing all weekend!

Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifreezer View Post
Please go back to the ar form you cane from. 8 thou posts and u still don't get it. I come here to learn and get current veiws on ak and such, not to hear how so many other firearms are this much better and how aks sucks. GTFO! I and others here have chosen and admired this system and can not stand the added negativity that has gone on against our decision of respecting this rifle. I am sick of seeing us getting kicked in the ribs and say'n oh well. Its not a good time for this, AT ALL, SO STOP!
Didn't come from an AR forum. I am a proponent of the AK. But I am pragmatic. There are some things they do well, and others they don't. There are some things some of them do well and others don't. The FAL, and M14, do .308 better.

Simply, If I was going to put my money in an AK/VEPR now it wouldn't be on a .308, unless it was in a "unique", collecting type of aspect.

Practicality, not negativity nor "kicking" anyone in the "ribs".
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #28
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
"Rare" in this case means "not popular". Over time, as an investment, the value of this rifle will not hold up as well as a popular caliber VEPR such as the 7.62x39's. So...if your buying for an investment...forgetaboutit. If you're buying it 'cause you actually want to own and shoot it...then go for it!
I think it will. 308 is popular for SCARs, ARs, Fals, and PTRs. Sure the AR15 and AK47s are more popular than all the 308 rifles I just mentioned, but you can not deny that there is a large market for 308 rifles.... More so than 54r, 5.45, and 300 blackout... 2.23/5.56, 7.62x39, then 308...

Anyhow, I was fucked over by GunBuyer.com. They canceled my order after they charged my card, and I had to wait days for a refund. It's this or nothing, and 308 is the best, most abundant, and most popular caliber out of what Veprs are left to choose from. Once they're gone for good, and a few years have past, no doubt in my mind that a mint limited edition FM308 will sell for much more than I paid...

Last edited by praxidike; 06-25-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #29
praxidike

Quote:
Didn't come from an AR forum. I am a proponent of the AK. But I am pragmatic. There are some things they do well, and others they don't. There are some things some of them do well and others don't. The FAL, and M14, do .308 better.

Simply, If I was going to put my money in an AK/VEPR now it wouldn't be on a .308, unless it was in a "unique", collecting type of aspect.

Practicality, not negativity nor "kicking" anyone in the "ribs".
Yea well people had opinions in the past about what was junk, what caliber should or shouldn't be purchased, and what rifles were are weren't worth buying only to turn out to be dead wrong in the future. Just like cheap "Chinese junk" AKs became popular, and the highly recommended "cheap" to shoot calibers are no longer highly recommended and cheap to shoot... I don't see 308 becoming more expensive. If anything, in the future it will probably become less expensive. Other than that, I'm not a fan of ARs and PTRs and FAL aren't banned, so they can be purchased by anyone at anytime...

Last edited by praxidike; 06-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #30
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Yea well people had opinions in the past about what was junk, what caliber should or shouldn't be purchased, and what rifles were are weren't worth buying only to turn out to be dead wrong in the future. Just like cheap "Chinese junk" AKs became popular, and the highly recommended "cheap" to shoot calibers are no longer highly recommended and cheap to shoot... I don't see 308 becoming more expensive. If anything, in the future it will probably become less expensive. Other than that, I'm not a fan of ARs, and PTRs and FAL aren't banned, and can be purchased by anyone at anytime...
Go through Sig's comments.
See if you still think he has an AK.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #31
Malev
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 64827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASRMAN View Post

Kvar OOS

Malev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #32
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Then don't get it.
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #33
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malev View Post
Kvar OOS

I snagged one of the FM-308 folders, and I also got hooked up with a FM-AK47 from Kvar a couple of days ago. They're top notch in my book. I've had to have had spend over $5500 there in this past year. It seams that they take care their returning customers which is more than I can say for Buds, KyGunCo, ClassicFirearms, and all of the dozens of other online retailers I've ordered from over the years.

I'm glad GunBuyer F'd me over, and gave me the opportunity to do business with them again. It all worked out for the best in the end.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #34
PistolPete

AKaholic #: 157758

Those last .308 FM folders were pretty tempting. Congrats to those who scooped em up.
PistolPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #35
Mountain Man

AKaholic #: 171161

Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
When people measure groups size without calipers...
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote