Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
GREEK AK

AKaholic #: 172212
Default Which SAM 7 to purchase

I do not have a SAM in the stable. Looking to purchase, which SAM 7 do the cognoscenti of these boards recommend ?
GREEK AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Fox One
Big Nerd

AKaholic #: 185130

I have a SAM7SF-84R. It's been a great rifle but I have mixed feelings about it. I know I'll probably be nailed to a cross for saying this, but I actually hate the folding stock on it. I wish I just got the SAM7R-66 or 61. Or SAM7UF-85.
Fox One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
billydonk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox One View Post
I have a SAM7SF-84R. It's been a great rifle but I have mixed feelings about it. I know I'll probably be nailed to a cross for saying this, but I actually hate the folding stock on it. I wish I just got the SAM7R-66 or 61. Or SAM7UF-85.
That's because it is retardedly long. I say stick with the straight up ol sam 7r.
billydonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonk View Post
That's because it is retardedly long. I say stick with the straight up ol sam 7r.
leaning towards the 7.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
Dwe

AKaholic #: 189354

I don't have the Sam7 R however I do have the fixed stock SLR107R so I went with the Sam7 SF and the Sam7 UF.

Based on that, I would recommend getting the SF... it is fantastic.
And I love the length of the stock and its solid feel and flexiblity.
I haven't shot the Underfolder however
If it performs as well as my SF.... I will be pleased.

Whatever you choose, you will find yourself wanting the others anyway,
So have at it.

Last edited by Dwe; 08-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Dwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
ohlongarm

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEK AK View Post
I do not have a SAM in the stable. Looking to purchase, which SAM 7 do the cognoscenti of these boards recommend ?
I just bought two Sam7R-61 was on the fence for the side folder but decided against it,to ME it appeared a little fake and bogus.
ohlongarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
I just bought two Sam7R-61 was on the fence for the side folder but decided against it,to ME it appeared a little fake and bogus.
which vendor did you purchase from ?
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
LoFlow

AKaholic #: 165424

I was lucky enough to trade into a slightly used Sam7R-61 and I liked it so much that I bought a new Sam7uf, love those two rifles. After having spent some time as a machinist I'm kind of partial to milled AK's. So when I saved up enough to buy the side folder I was a little disappointed when I actually shouldered it, just felt different from everything else I own. I did a 180 and ended up walking out with an Ace and no regrets.
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #9
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

SAM7sf hands down. And I have 2 R61's.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #10
GREEK AK

Thinking about the UF. Any issues with cheek weld with the folder ?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
maceace

AKaholic #: 171834

Quote:
The UF style ak is the least comfortable to me and most other people I know that have shot underfolders... I prefer straight stocks or side folders...
maceace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #12
Killface45

AKaholic #: 181879

Quote:
It all depends on who you ask. For me I like the UF. One of my first aks was a UF so I spent most of my time shooting that so I'm used to it.

Alot of others dont like them. Only way to know for sure is if you can rent or shoot a friends. Reading isn't going to really help on this issue.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface45 View Post
It all depends on who you ask. For me I like the UF. One of my first aks was a UF so I spent most of my time shooting that so I'm used to it.

Alot of others dont like them. Only way to know for sure is if you can rent or shoot a friends. Reading isn't going to really help on this issue.
Agreed. Only problem is none of my buds have a sam 7 uf. I'm thinking the M 70 should give me an idea of what the uf will feel like and shoulder.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575

Doesn't matter which SAM7 you choose... You'll still be a winner... Just gotta choose which SAM7 fits you.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #15
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Also keep in mind that the SAM7UF does not have the side rail for an optic. This is a deal breaker for some people.

I will say for an underfolder, the UF has a very sturdy and solid feeling stock.

I like the SAM7SF for being a semi AR-M9F, so the modern Bulgarian offering. That said, the stock, while 100% military, is really long and pretty lightweight so the gun can feel a bit front heavy to some.

In the end, its hard to go wrong with the basic old SAM7R. You can make it into more a traditional AK47 with wood furniture, into a tactical with an M4 stock & rails, or just keep it stock for a K.I.S. milled AK.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #16
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
Doesn't matter which SAM7 you choose... You'll still be a winner... Just gotta choose which SAM7 fits you.
I hear ya Island. Just want make sure I get the right flavor.

Mishaco, I do like the traditional furniture and old school feel.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #17
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwe View Post
WTF... get them all..
Not a bad idea !! What the hell, life is short, LOL !
Old 08-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
PearlWhiteGT

AKaholic #: 186378

I purchased a SAM7SF from a local guy just a few days ago and although I have not yet fired it I can tell you that the action on it is pretty damn smooth. Plan on taking it to the range real soon. I paid $1100 for it but it came with 850 rounds of ammo and 6 Gen 3 PMAGS. Really wasn't ready to purchase one but considering the deal I just couldn't pass it up. Sold a new VEPR Sporter 7.62x39 that I had sitting in the safe which pretty much paid for the rifle, ammo and magazines. Normally I wouldn't have sold the VEPR but I have two FM-AK47-11's sitting in my safe and have no plans on getting rid of them.

PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

AKaholic #: 186184

SAM 7R With Ironwood Walnut Amber Shellac (This is my Favorite SAM of the two. Trigger is really nice and stock is more comfortable.)

SAM 7 SF (Also a Nice Shooter.)
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
PearlWhiteGT

AKaholic #: 186378

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop1911 View Post
SAM 7R With Ironwood Walnut Amber Shellac (This is my Favorite SAM of the two. Trigger is really nice and stock is more comfortable.)

SAM 7 SF (Also a Nice Shooter.)
That SAM7R looks bad ass man!
PearlWhiteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #21
RockyTop1911
More AKs Please!

AKaholic #: 186184

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
Thanks. It may be my favorite of all my AKs.
"The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon." George Washington "Runaway government threatens our economic survival, our most cherished institutions, and the very preservation of freedom itself." Ronald Reagan "It depends upon what the meaning of the word is, is." William Jefferson Clinton "I've now been in 57 states." Barack Hussein Obama
RockyTop1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #22
ohlongarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlWhiteGT View Post
Beautiful.Iplan on putting wood on one of mine,those are beautiful.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
ohlongarm

Quote:
which vendor did you purchase from ?
Tombstone Tactical,since I bought two they knocked off another $20. They have plenty as of yesterday.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #24
Poppy83

AKaholic #: 174447

I normally like fixed stock rifles, but I bought a SAM7UF instead of the R. My main reasoning was that I've shot underfolders before and liked them and I also have other fixed stock AKs.

The UF is the smoothest AK I've ever shot. I just put a brake on it, so I'm curious to see if it is even better.
Poppy83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #25
ohlongarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy83 View Post
I normally like fixed stock rifles, but I bought a SAM7UF instead of the R. My main reasoning was that I've shot underfolders before and liked them and I also have other fixed stock AKs.

The UF is the smoothest AK I've ever shot. I just put a brake on it, so I'm curious to see if it is even better.
What is your preferred brake. thanks
Old 08-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #26
GREEK AK

Quote:
saw a SAM7 over at kvar with 4 piece Bulgy flash hider on it. I really like the Bulgy's, they are working out great on the Krinks.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #27
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Owning a gunshop is a true mixed blessing....I could technically keep 1 of everything that comes in...I could do that and then also could explain to my wife why my paycheck is $18 for the month hehe.

At the same time, keeping only 1 SAM7 just didn't feel right, know what I mean? With a nice rifle, its always good to have a couple, each setup a bit differently.

I had 4 to choose from: SAM7R fixed stock, SAM7UF underfolding stock, SAM7SF side folding + thumbsafety, or SAM7K as a pistol with short gas andseveral brace/stock options.

In the end, I selected a SAM7SF and a SAM7R.

The SAM7UF is really nice, with just about the tightest underfolding stock I've ever handled but nah, I already have a few other factory underfolders (FEG SA 85m & WASR10/63UF come to mind).

The SAM7K is great for being the only imported AKSU with a milled receiver, and the fit+finish can't be beat; but converting it over to an AR-M4SF was just going to be a lot of work and expense. Besides, already have an SLR104UR and M92PV, so good enough.

The SAM7SF though, I don't have anything else like that one remotely. It is a unique and modern Bulgarian military design and really nicely done. Just put a birdcage FH and the right handguards on it, and boom! a semi AR-M9F. So I decided it would be a good one to hang onto; both as an investment and as a shooter.

As for the SAM7R, I decided to hang onto one of those as its a good, but very basic milled AK. You can do a lot with it, configuring it as you feel like. Me, i am still undecided if I want to go for an AR-M1 look with traditional polymer, or make it into an AR-M9 with the modern furniture, add a 24mm FSB, and add the thumb safety. Either way, I have options. And I am sure it would look good in wood too.

So that was my thought process, and that's how I compromised between "only 1" and "collect 'em all."
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #28
cgp
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157920

Only the classics for me

cgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgp View Post
Only the classics for me

SWEET !!
Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #30
GREEK AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Owning a gunshop is a true mixed blessing....I could technically keep 1 of everything that comes in...I could do that and then also could explain to my wife why my paycheck is $18 for the month hehe.

At the same time, keeping only 1 SAM7 just didn't feel right, know what I mean? With a nice rifle, its always good to have a couple, each setup a bit differently.

I had 4 to choose from: SAM7R fixed stock, SAM7UF underfolding stock, SAM7SF side folding + thumbsafety, or SAM7K as a pistol with short gas andseveral brace/stock options.

In the end, I selected a SAM7SF and a SAM7R.

The SAM7UF is really nice, with just about the tightest underfolding stock I've ever handled but nah, I already have a few other factory underfolders (FEG SA 85m & WASR10/63UF come to mind).

The SAM7K is great for being the only imported AKSU with a milled receiver, and the fit+finish can't be beat; but converting it over to an AR-M4SF was just going to be a lot of work and expense. Besides, already have an SLR104UR and M92PV, so good enough.

The SAM7SF though, I don't have anything else like that one remotely. It is a unique and modern Bulgarian military design and really nicely done. Just put a birdcage FH and the right handguards on it, and boom! a semi AR-M9F. So I decided it would be a good one to hang onto; both as an investment and as a shooter.

As for the SAM7R, I decided to hang onto one of those as its a good, but very basic milled AK. You can do a lot with it, configuring it as you feel like. Me, i am still undecided if I want to go for an AR-M1 look with traditional polymer, or make it into an AR-M9 with the modern furniture, add a 24mm FSB, and add the thumb safety. Either way, I have options. And I am sure it would look good in wood too.

So that was my thought process, and that's how I compromised between "only 1" and "collect 'em all."
Mish,

if could only keep one, which would it be and why ?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #31
Poppy83

AKaholic #: 174447

Quote:
I like the Arsenal 74-style brake, but I didn't want to buy an.adapter. I put a Damage Industries 2-port brake on my UF because it was $24.95 shipped (they had free shipping at the beginning of August).

I've yet to shoot with it, but even just shooting with the muzzle nut, it was really smooth shooting.
Poppy83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #32
Commanderfluffly

AKaholic #: 186193

I have the sam7r and it's by far my favourite AK. Very smooth action and the trigger is awesome, mine breaks at 4lb very smooth.
Commanderfluffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #33
Rearden Steel

AKaholic #: 188504

Does anyone know if you can put a sig arm brace on a Sam7k?
Rearden Steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #34
Distant-K

AKaholic #: 194151

I used to have a SAM7SF, but sold it at one point when I wanted to get into some other guns and just didn't see the point in keeping it at the time. As a rifle, it was great - very nice trigger, reliable, well made, no mag wobble, all the parts fit together perfectly. But knowing what I do now, I would have bought the SAM7R instead if I wanted to get an Arsenal. (I might still buy one in the future, before they go out of stock forever....Although actually, in the sake of full disclosure, I recently got back into AKs and I had "Arsenal money" to spend on one, but I chose to buy two WASRs instead of one Arsenal, but that's another story). As for the SF, it has a lot of cool features, but IMO, there are certain flaws too, some of which I don't hear people talk about a lot.

The paint finish. This ran like Sharpie marker ink the first time I cleaned it, exposing the gray color (parkerizing?) underneath. Albeit this was a stupid, newbie mistake....I was using isopropyl alcohol as a degreaser, but at the time I had used it on other guns and never run into a problem - very expensive lesson learned, since I got it refinished prior to selling it. Just remember to only use gun-specific cleaning products on yours and you should be fine, but I saw a review someone posted where the paint on their SLR107 bubbled and cracked and while that never happened to mine, I tend to believe the claim.

The tubular buttstock. My issue was that I couldn't find any sort of cheek pad or riser that would fit it. Maybe they exist, but I couldn't find them. Not a great chin weld when/if you put an optic on the rifle. The tubing is inverted on the right side, which can be a minor annoyance for lefties. I'm not a lefty, but a family member is, and it's just not as good of a cheek weld if you hold the rifle that way (ofc, the thumb safety is set up for righties only, so just not going to be a great ambi rifle). I personally liked the extra length of the buttstock because I wasn't really into AK's at the time, but I can see how the length could be a negative for some people. Keep in mind that the design of the latch for the folding stock prohibits your ability to store a full length cleaning rod on the rifle, for whatever that's worth to you; it didn't really bother me. It's not like you can store a cleaning kit on folding stock AKs anyway, so what good is just having a cleaning rod?

The thumb safety. Really cool in concept, but in practice, it's not a huge advantage over the various enhanced index finger safeties on the market. There is a degree of play/wobble in the thumb lever that I was always worried would get worse the more I used it, and while my concern was probably unfounded, the way it works is you pull the lever back for "fire," which is opposite of an AR, so there isn't really any transfer of muscle memory/habits from the AR manual of arms. It's not an inherently bad safety, but it does limit your options for pistol grips and it just doesn't seem that much faster or easier to use than an enhanced index finger safety to me.

Last edited by Distant-K; 11-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Distant-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #35
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Here was my solution.
I went with the full size fixed stock.
The full size side folder.
The full size under folder.
And 2 K models
That about cover it?
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote