Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #211
Lateralus

AKaholic #: 181721

Thanks, fellas. I should have said rifle case, not bag since it did have the plastic bag around it but was not inside of the case.

I figured that it was probably just a one-off (hopefully no n00bie there is shipping out rifles like that consistently).

@Atlantic, what happened to me probably isn't common but may want to just bring it up to your shipping staff as a reminder. I'm not bothered by it but you know how customers can be and some guys might not like their $1000+ rifles being shipped like that. The large shipping box housing both rifles and the SAM7R box inside were beat up pretty badly during shipping and it's possible that the CG1's barrel could have punched through the box under the right circumstances, leaving it vulnerable to damage.

#ProudDeplorable!
Lateralus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #212
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Now that you got that communicated, how do you like your CG1?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #213
LIONHART

AKaholic #: 2946

FWIW, the polish stocks are not genuine military issue. They are produced by WBP. In no way do they compare to original Polish military issued stocks. I had one. It was a big dissapointment. Wood seems soft, and the laminate is actually larger pieces glued together. I doubt, from the example that I had, that these stocks would perform as good as genuine issue. With that said, the selling price is almost half of what unissued Polish stock sets sell for. Another issue was the wood to metal fit. The receiver edges protruded over the wood. You don't get that with genuine Mil. production laminate.
LIONHART is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #214
Lateralus

AKaholic #: 181721

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
Now that you got that communicated, how do you like your CG1?
Very pleased, but not surprised (does that make sense?). I pretty much knew what I was getting. I haven't compared it side by side to my Classics yet, but I expect them to be similar in build quality with the only real difference being the receiver. It seems like the wood furniture might be darker on my CG1, not sure. Due to work among other things, it's been in the box since I got it but I plan to give it a good look over soon to scope out the finer details (rivets, etc.). I don't expect to find anything that would disappoint.

Certainly a worth addition to anyone's collection and like you guys said, more impressive from a fit and finish standpoint than my SLR107-11.

#ProudDeplorable!
Lateralus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #215
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIONHART View Post
FWIW, the polish stocks are not genuine military issue. They are produced by WBP. In no way do they compare to original Polish military issued stocks. I had one. It was a big dissapointment. Wood seems soft, and the laminate is actually larger pieces glued together. I doubt, from the example that I had, that these stocks would perform as good as genuine issue. With that said, the selling price is almost half of what unissued Polish stock sets sell for. Another issue was the wood to metal fit. The receiver edges protruded over the wood. You don't get that with genuine Mil. production laminate.
Maybe Atlantic and WBP could respond to that, I'd be interested in what they have to say. Just checked my CG1 and the wood looks ok to me and the receiver is below the wood on the stock.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #216
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

I will ask WBP to also chime in on this but stock sets have been a mixture of NOS and Excellent Original Military stock sets and some new production .Since there has been multiple shipments I do not know the exact timelines on these but can say that the current stock sets that I have seen look very nice & we have not had any complaints.

Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #217
LIONHART

The handguards that came with it were refinished Military wood. The stock was the current WBP offering that's been for sale for the last year or so. WBP also produces handguards.

The stock in the above PIC from Atlantic is WBP. Handguards are original. WBP upper handguards are the ugliest things you've ever seen.

There's been at least one thread about WBP wood.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267223

I absolutely love Polish laminates. I recall when Global Trades was selling the NOS sets back in '95 for the sum of $49.00 Those were the days!

I think Atlantic has done an outstanding job bringing these rifles to market. I think they want to offer the best out there, and I've been known to be nitpicky at times.
I wished we'd see Polish underfolders from Atlantic in the near future!

Last edited by LIONHART; 11-09-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #218
LIONHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
Maybe Atlantic and WBP could respond to that, I'd be interested in what they have to say. Just checked my CG1 and the wood looks ok to me and the receiver is below the wood on the stock.
On a properly fitted stock, let's say, NOS Polish, the wood is slightly oversized. This is due for refurbishment if so needed in the future. Anyway,
there should be wood surrounding the sides, and bottom of the receiver. The receiver should not protrude beyond the wood.

This was one of the issues that I encountered with the WBP stock, in that, the receiver overhung the wood. While serviceable, original, NOS Polish wood isn't like that that. It was an eyesore. However, I realize this is mostly cosmetic, but it's a shame that WBP couldn't have produced an exact facsimile of the real thing. Hopefully, with feedback, they will be offering something better in the future. There's definitely a market for it!