Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #36
csspecs
Spam bot
Vendor

AKaholic #: 157229

Not that anyone is going around checking, the odds of it ever being a problem are around 0%.
According to the chart you are at 10 imported parts which is perfectly legal.

Imported parts being
1 Receiver
2 Barrel
3 Front Trunion
4 Bolt
5 Bolt carrier
6 Gas piston
7 Buttstock
8 Pistol grip
9 Forearm
10 Magazine body

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

Thank you for the Floor plate purchase by the way.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:43 PM   #37
swolff

AKaholic #: 180730

Recent WASRs have had original pistons left installed. The soft stock and handguard sets are claimed to be US made. However they are not marked. The burden of proof remains on them if the rifle isn't changed around.
swolff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #38
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

Max, I can't blame you at all for being a bit jumpy as an AK owner in Cali. That's definitely operating behind enemy lines.

I just had a thought though...

Bush's '89 E.O. banned the import of 'assault rifles' (including AKs) by defining what makes such a rifle by feature. This is why bayo lugs, removable muzzle devices/threaded barrels, and pistol grip + stock arragements appeared.
Something like a MAK-90 or INtrac Maadi was importable as the guns didn't have evil features under the '89 ban. They could be sold here as 100% foreign import rifles as they were considered sporting.

In order to add back evil features, we have 922(r). Adding 4-6 US mfg parts magically turns something from foreign made to American made.
An early professional conversion is the SAR-1. It was imported from Romania by Century with a thumbhole stock and no other features.
In the US, CAI pulled the thumbhole off and replaced it with an original military wood stock and US made plastic pistol grip. Also it replaced the original Romie FCG, with a set made here (and marked with 'C' as it happens) and US piston.
So +5 US parts and it was legal to have the pistol grip again.
And when the AWB sunset in 2004, CAI could also offer the SAR-1's successor, the WASR-10, with a bayo lug and other features not allowed by '89 ban.
Still though, not all WASR-10s get converted. Some have been left by CAI in their original import form, thumbhole stock & all. These guns are 100% Romanian; again as they don't have features.

So here's my question....since most guns sent to Cali are rendered featureless to comply with the state law, do they even fall under 922(r) in the first place?
The pistol grip isn't allowed in CA, so is effectively deleted by one of several means. Even thumbhole stocks aren't allowed these days.
Often times, CA compliant AKs lack the flash hider, bayo lug, and exposed muzzle threads.
And without any of those features, it is ok for a gun to feed from standard magazines, but again in CA 10 rounds is the limit anyway.

Just something that came into my head now. I've not thought it through all the way yet.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #39
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
So here's my question....since most guns sent to Cali are rendered featureless to comply with the state law, do they even fall under 922(r) in the first place?
The pistol grip isn't allowed in CA, so is effectively deleted by one of several means. Even thumbhole stocks aren't allowed these days.
Often times, CA compliant AKs lack the flash hider, bayo lug, and exposed muzzle threads.
And without any of those features, it is ok for a gun to feed from standard magazines, but again in CA 10 rounds is the limit anyway.
922r is a non-issue in California.

All new rifles have to be neutered.
All grandfathered rifles were pre-89's so they are exempt from 922r anyway.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #40
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

California gets real strange when to comes to evil features. We can have threaded barrels, just no flash hiders. A standard slanted AK muzzle brake is fine. Actually anything listed by the manufacturer as a muzzle brake or compensator is perfectly legal, as long as "flash hider" isn't listed in the description. Some people out here have decided to run a thread protector only on the end of the barrel, just so there's no question. On my ARs, I have gone with a three port design, with closed front end, because it is well known that this is a general muzzle brake design.

Up until 1/1/17, we had a bit more freedom. You could go with a mag lock device that required a tool to release the mag, and a bullet is considered a tool, so that is where the Bullet Button came from. The design took off, and became widely available for both AK, and AR style firearms. With the mag lock option, we could not have more than 10 round capacity mags, but a pistol grip, collapsible stock, and a flash hider was perfectly legal. Now, anything after 1/1/2017 has to be sold as featureless. Pre 1/1/17 builds need to stay as a bullet button gun, and registered as an assault weapon, or converted to featureless.

Then we had what we called "featureless". No collapsable stock, no "flash hider", no forward vertical grip, and defiantly no evil pistol grip. The Monster Man fin grip was born, and several other "grip wrap" styles came out. Up until July 1 2017, we were still able to use hi cap mags in our featureless builds if we owned them previous to 2000 (maybe 2001, I can't remember) Then, right before the 7/1/17 hi cap mag ban set in, a federal judge put a halt to it until some things could be sorted out. Blah Blah Blah Blah....

Anyhow, long story short. My WASR 10 is exactly how it ships to ever other state, with the exception of the kydex grip wrap that I have installed. I have the slanted brake, bayo lug, regular mag catch with no cage, and I can, as of right now, use standard 30 round mags. so, because my WASR is just like everyone else's in the free world, I believe 922r still applies. Even more so if I take the AK with me out of state when I take the bolt action out for some long range shooting. When I do that, I just simply remove the grip wrap, and it's back to a normal WASR.

AS you can see, there is a fine line we ride out here trying to hold onto our freedoms, so that is why I stay within the 922r guidelines... One less reason for the DOJ to look my way.

Someday, I have no doubt that ALL semi-auto centerfire rifles will be banned. This is why I decided to buy the WASR, and now I can't stop!
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:00 PM   #41
mishaco

Just to add, 'muzzle brakes' were fine under the '89 ban too. The part that isn't ok is for them to be removable.
Then again, it only takes a small dab of weld to 'perminantly' attach the muzzle nut/brake; hiding the threads.
Just as how lacking a bullet guide means an AK is a 'low-cap sporter'. This one is particuarly funny with regards to the 5.45x39 caliber Saigas hehe.

I just found it was an interesting thought regarding 'featureless' and all that may or may not mean visa vee 922(r).
I used to know CA laws pretty good as we've shipped hundreds of rifles out that way over the years...used to until 2017. Now? hell if i know? The main problem seems to be dealers now. They are like you, forced to play it so safe, they simply can't afford to even have 1 toe over the line. Please understand, not judging you. Just saying there's a definite atmosphere of worry and even paranoia in CA (and don't blame you, its bad and getting worse out there). I could never live like that myself, so you have more balls than me.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 PM   #42
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Just to add, 'muzzle brakes' were fine under the '89 ban too. The part that isn't ok is for them to be removable.
Then again, it only takes a small dab of weld to 'perminantly' attach the muzzle nut/brake; hiding the threads.
Just as how lacking a bullet guide means an AK is a 'low-cap sporter'. This one is particuarly funny with regards to the 5.45x39 caliber Saigas hehe.

I just found it was an interesting thought regarding 'featureless' and all that may or may not mean visa vee 922(r).
I used to know CA laws pretty good as we've shipped hundreds of rifles out that way over the years...used to until 2017. Now? hell if i know? The main problem seems to be dealers now. They are like you, forced to play it so safe, they simply can't afford to even have 1 toe over the line. Please understand, not judging you. Just saying there's a definite atmosphere of worry and even paranoia in CA (and don't blame you, its bad and getting worse out there). I could never live like that myself, so you have more balls than me.

Yeah, it's rough out here, but I am planning my escape. Never made the decision to live here, was born into it.

I too don't blame dealers for staying away from California. Although, now that the 2017 assault weapons registration regulations are in place, the "fine line" is a little clearer. I am thankful for dealers like Atlantic that know our BS laws, and are willing to ship our way. I just made my first order through them yesterday, and it seems to be going well so far. As much as it stings, I don't really even blame Ca FFLs that are charging $100 for the transfer. Yeah, it sucks, but they're kind of putting their neck out there as well.

Anyhow, sorry to the OP for taking this off topic.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #43
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
And you are way overthinking it. I don't mean to parrot Misha, but the burden of proof for such a law would be exceedingly difficult for a prosecutor. And no to the other commenter, even if used in defense, it *seems* ridiculous to me that they would count the American parts in your rifle, how would they even begin to identify the American parts? Some of you are way too paranoid and suspicious but to each their own.
Nope, I have a substantial collection of firearms. I do not plan to lose my rights of ownership/possession by non compliance.

For someone who owns a couple of firearms like a WASR and a shotgun the downside is much smaller.

You may do as you wish. Or whatever you think is the best way to deal with the regulations.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #44
Skatmanfu
Banned

AKaholic #: 193783

There's only a handful of places that my AKM will be at most any time. At my home, in transit in my truck to the private range that I'm a member at (or on other private land), or in the public forest(s) target shooting.

It's only the latter that I have a little concern about, being that the public(BLM) areas that are accessible for target shooting are patrolled by Federal Law Enforcement.

I live in a state that is run by commies. However, even though we've had a couple of high profile mass shootings here, fortunately the independent nature of the populace has been able to successfully lobby against some of the more restrictive laws that have plagued other commie-run states (that have also had mass profile shootings) such as: California, Colorado, Massachusetts etc. No mag/ammo purchasing restrictions or that 'featureless' bullshit here.

That stated, it's a constant battle and there remains a set of 'gun grabbers'(including our current governor) at the ready and willing to have any justifiable reason to enact more restrictions. It's for that reason that I would like to err on the 'just to be safe side'...as its not so much about any possible criminal penalties for possessing a non-compliant rifle...I simply don't want to give any chance to have any reason for my rifle to potentially be confiscated, or have to deal with the system any more than not at all.

I'm not really fretting about the ATF coming to knock down my door, as I know I'm not really the type they're that concerned with. It's the Forest Ranger Freddie with a potential stick up his/her ass who might not be happy that I'm out recreating on our Public Lands, wanting to give me a hard time and looking for any opportunity to do so.
Skatmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #45
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

from what i've GATHERED, the only parts that Century uses that are USA parts are....

Pistol Grip (1)
FCG (3)
Slant Muzzle break (1)
Piston (1)

the rest are all Romanian parts

there have been RUMORS of all USA made handguards and butt stocks, but no confirmation that I could find
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 AM   #46
mishaco

Except now, in this thread, people are saying the piston is Romie these days.

CAI definitely switches parts around from time to time.

WTF knows where that wood is made...but its not Romania. Not their MO. They tend to make stuff that kind of looks horrible but is actually pretty good under the surface. That new CAI wood is the opposite; finished out to look nice (to most people) but underneath its made from compressed crackerjack boxex & saw dust.

As to Forest Ranger Freddy getting a stick up his ass and harrassing you about the number of parts in your AK. Yep, smalltown law enforcement can go on a power trip like that for sure. My brother was LE here for 30+ years, even Chief for about 5 of them.
Anyhow, just 1 thing....the only place Ranger Freddy is ever going to hear about and read about 922(r) is on a gun forum.
Really thats about the only place on earth where its mentioned. Its been talked about here more in this thread in a day than it probably has been in the entire ATF over the past year.

Remember what happened when the internet and gun community kept obsessing over the whole SIG Armbrace thing?

Be sure to keep 6 US parts in your AK if that's what you feel you need to do.
And if not, do that too.

But i say lets take a page from old Slick Willie's book and apply it to 922(r)....

"Don't ask, Don't tell."

That way we're all doing the thing we feel best about doing, and we're not tempting fate to bring down unwanted attention to a regulation I think we can all agree really is very very silly (rather you obey it still or not).
Maybe if the internet just ignore it for a few years, it'll just end up lost to time and stop being anything.

My hometown still has laws on the books against blowjobs....and I can tell you, they've never stopped anyone.
Also laws against walking your pig on the courthouse square.
And probably some horribly racist laws too since well...its the South afterall.

If you've not caught on, I don't take this whole thing serious....one way or another. It really just doesn't matter to me. I buy an Arsenal, it has some US parts, fine, no biggy.
But I don't stress either if I want to replace the poly furniture with wood either, just as I did last month with my SLR-105. Because wood is awesome and hey, everyone knows a wood rifle is less scary and deadly right? lol.

That said, i do find the legal angle interesting from a purely academic point of view. While I am not a lawyor, I did have about 3 semesters of lawschool part time as part of my graduate degree in IR, and did a minor in pre-law as an undergrad. So its just something to study for me.

In the end, if they come to arrest me or even just take my guns, its not going to be over a handful of US/Foreign made parts. If they've gone to all the trouble to get a warrant, assault my home, and all that? Well....I obviously did something pretty damn serious. They don't do that stuff on a whim.

I've always been a law abiding citizen and plan to always be. I don't loose sleep as I know I've not broken the law.

OK ok, well i did use Napster back in the '90s...you caught me, I admit it! lol
But hey, at least you do know for sure I don't have an unpaid speeding ticket out there hehe!

Goodnight guys,
Old 09-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #47
wormraper

yeah, it's a near unenforceable law, but still, 922r is INSANE... "oh, here's your wasr 10, but if you change the pistol grip to a russian bakelite you're technically a criminal"....wtf?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #48
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

. . . good thing it's for manufacturers then, itn't it?
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:38 AM   #49
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

There is no way to say 100% of the time what Century does for US 922R parts since they could switch it from batch to batch. Any time we have called and asked this question they told us that the 922R was subject to change. The best thing to do would be contact the importer with the question and the serial number on your gun & see if you can get a written answer .
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #50
wormraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
according to a written ATF letter last year that was posted on AKforum and Falforums, changing out a piece on your rifle constitutes "assembling" a weapon and falls under 922r jurisdiction

Last edited by wormraper; 09-01-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #51
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
according to a written ATF letter last year that was posted on AKforum, changing out a piece on your rifle constitutes "assembling" a weapon and falls under 922r jurisdiction
Yep, and a shoestring is a machine gun.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #52
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
922r is exactly that.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #53
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Gun owners are their own worse enemies. I wish you guys would just shut up about this dumb shit and stop bringing light to it on a public forum for the world to see. There is more than enough 992r related bs out there if you do a google search. No need to keep bringing it up cause one day the wrong person is gonna find it and read it and raise hell about it and it'll all be our own fault. I bet some here who follow the dumb law would actually like that too so they can say how they were right all along. I swear some people get off to 922r stuff.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #54
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
according to a written ATF letter last year that was posted on AKforum, changing out a piece on your rifle constitutes "assembling" a weapon and falls under 922r jurisdiction
Quote:
Yep, and a shoestring is a machine gun.
Quote:
Nalioth, you're about the only person in this thread with a lick of common sense on the matter. It is for manufacturers and importers. The whole entire purpose of the law is to force foreign manufacturers to give business to US companies before the rifle reaches the consumer. It has nothing to do with us.

And all the people who are crying that they might loose their firearm rights over a law that isn't enforceable on the end user and a law that has NEVER been applied to ANY of the over one hundred million of common gun owners over a span of decades, are just fear mongering and paranoid IMHO.

Last edited by praxidike; 09-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
PorkEatingCrusader

AKaholic #: 183717

You should weld and muzzle nut on, grind off the bayonet
Lug and install a thumbhole stock just to be safe
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #56
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
Nalioth, you're about the only person in this thread with a lick of common sense on the matter. It is for manufacturers and importers. The whole entire purpose of the law is to force foreign manufacturers to give business to US companies before the rifle reaches the consumer. It has nothing to do with us.

And all the people who are crying that they might loose their firearm rights over a law that isn't enforceable on the end user and a law that has NEVER been applied to ANY of the over one hundred million of common gun owners over a span of decades, are just fear mongering and paranoid IMHO.
The key words are assembly., not manufacturing.
Manufacturing a firearm is guidelined by a license. Assembly is not.
922r is related to assembly. Which encompasses both procedures.

Each to their own choice. No big deal.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #57
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkEatingCrusader View Post
You should weld and muzzle nut on, grind off the bayonet
Lug and install a thumbhole stock just to be safe
There are firearms so equipped.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #58
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Gun owners are their own worse enemies. I wish you guys would just shut up about this dumb shit and stop bringing light to it on a public forum for the world to see. There is more than enough 992r related bs out there if you do a google search. No need to keep bringing it up cause one day the wrong person is gonna find it and read it and raise hell about it and it'll all be our own fault. I bet some here who follow the dumb law would actually like that too so they can say how they were right all along. I swear some people get off to 922r stuff.
There ya go. We can stop talking about assembling your own firearms or using unmarked flats too. So no one knows the secrets.

I agree that documenting non compliance as an individual may not be brilliant.

But here is another solution>>

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #59
praxidike

I mean damn, Vendors like Atlantic and others don't even know which parts are US made on the rifles they're selling. The only people that would know are importers. The only people the FEDs could make a case against are manufacturers and importers. The importers get an imported non complaint rifle, and then have to add US parts. They would have to have invoices and a paper trail of these parts. They could and do switch out or change which parts are US made and which are not.

The US parts are put on the imported rifle, and money and jobs ate created via the purchasing of US parts from US companies. The spirit of the law has absolutely nothing to do with the end consumer, and when the end consumer purchases a rifle, the 922r law has already served it's purpose. Not only that, unlike importers who received a 100% non-compliant rifle, there's no way that consumers can be 100% sure which components on the rifle they purchased are US made and which are not. I wish people would STFU about this crap and stop the fear mongering already.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #60
wormraper

on a side note as we were talking about the furntire on a WASR. I just got confirmation from Century themselves than 2017 wasr's are coming with 100% American furniture. buttstock, pistol grip AND handguard are USA made according to the email I JUST received.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #61
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

How should this check on this stupid compliance should be accomplished and by whom? Who would keep reciept on each single part in his rifle(s)? Is anyone besides gun manufacturers ever got checked on this? How?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #62
praxidike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
The key words are assembly., not manufacturing.
Manufacturing a firearm is guidelined by a license. Assembly is not.
922r is related to assembly. Which encompasses both procedures.

Each to their own choice. No big deal.
Same difference... If Colt orders most of their parts and components from other companies, and then assembles and sells them under their name, Colt would still be said to be the manufacturer of the rifles.... That is what I'm referring too...
Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 AM   #63
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

US parts are relatively easy to ID and are common in type. There are only so many that are easily swapped out.
Through the advent of US produced AK parts of other internals etc., are more common now.

ATF opinion., not law but spoken by those who write the regulations and enforce the law.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #64
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Same difference... If Colt orders most of their parts and components from other companies, and then assembles and sells them under their name, Colt would still be said to be the manufacturer of the rifles....
Assembly applies to everyone. Not just Colt. Understand?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #65
praxidike

Quote:
Assembly applies to everyone. Not just Colt. Understand?
No, I believe the law refers to manufacturers, companies like Century who import rifles, or the like. Not consumers who want to swap out parts for personal use.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #66
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
No, I believe the law refers to manufacturers, companies like Century who import rifles, or the like. Not consumers who want to swap out parts for personal use.
That is not what the regulations or opinion letters state. Go back and read the letters and regs etc.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #67
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
There ya go. We can stop talking about assembling your own firearms or using unmarked flats too. So no one knows the secrets.

I agree that documenting non compliance as an individual may not be brilliant.

But here is another solution>>

Whatever, you get off on 922r shit lol. Talking about it and making a big deal about something essentially never unenforced and unenforceable, trying to turn it into a bigger issue than it is, and getting people all worried about nothing is retarded. You can sit there and feel good about yourself though lol, time goes on........
Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #68
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

922 huh? Who isnt compliant? U guys know im the residential snitch, right? Reach around, or i might get loose lips
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #69
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Whatever, you get off on 922r shit lol. Talking about it and making a big deal about something essentially never unenforced and unenforceable, trying to turn it into a bigger issue than it is, and getting people all worried about nothing is retarded. You can sit there and feel good about yourself though lol, time goes on........
It is a discussion. Don't get all personal or take it personal. Don't tell me what I get off on. I am detailing the evidence. Simple.

Read this>>

http://gunwiki.net/JustTheLaw/RefFed922r
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #70
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa city View Post
922 huh? Who isnt compliant? U guys know im the residential snitch, right? Reach around, or i might get loose lips
Hahaha