Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #36
Garvey

AKaholic #: 186949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
Well a Rommy was under $250 15 years ago and mist things didn't go up as much as they are now.
Parts kits were $50 and up for AK'S with a barrel

A good AR was well over a grand then.
not evert hung here is simple inflation.

Back rgen nit many people wanted a AK and it was not a hipster rifle like today.

Some were I have some adds for Sten kits at $19 from about 17 years ago. I bought two just to see what they were.
Good to see that Ebonics is still a thing.
Garvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #37
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Glad we have spelling nazis .

But crap my phone changes what I type. Damn that's bad.

Don't type and drive.
I asked for it with that post.

Last edited by 1biggun; 11-06-2017 at 10:00 PM.
1biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #38
Garvey

AKaholic #: 186949

Haha, brah. No spelling Nazi. That was just one sloppyass post. Peace!
Garvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #39
infamousj

AKaholic #: 174024

We are in the best of times right now, for the rest of time... unless of course the current administration just wants to run up the score and passes SHUSH and lets some more imported kits in...But this is it kids... buy buy buy
infamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #40
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pow-ding View Post
I actually liked my East German the best of my Maks, but I never owned a Bulgarian to compare.
I've never held an East German, but I imagine it would absolutely give the Bulgarian a run for its money!
TXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #41
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvey View Post
I love these threads, where 10-15% of the people understand the concept of inflation.
Inflation, as presented to the public is a complete lie. The overall cost of living increase far exceeds whatever wage increase occurs.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #42
GuidoFL
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 171081

I remember burning the spam can wood crates in my fireplace ........... Thankful I still have some and they are full.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #43
RUSSIAN AK FAN
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176305

Quote:
Well a Rommy was under $250 15 years ago and mist things didn't go up as much as they are now.
Parts kits were $50 and up for AK'S with a barrel

A good AR was well over a grand then.
not evert hung here is simple inflation.

Back rgen nit many people wanted a AK and it was not a hipster rifle like today.
I disagree, as usual.

Inflation IS a big part of it. In 1988, I bet a new Colt Sporter didn't cost much more than $400.
RUSSIAN AK FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 AM   #44
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan326 View Post
Those prices are NEVER TO RETURN.
Enjoy torturing yourselves.
This is exactly the truth...torture

NEW Hungarian IWD Stock Set $165
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #45
rurallife
gas operated

AKaholic #: 186131

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I've never held an East German, but I imagine it would absolutely give the Bulgarian a run for its money!
Apparently it's the trigger. I let a nice local E.G. slip away. Eh, the Bulgy is fine. Unissued SOG, I should buy another.

And a Norinco 1911, still want one.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed.
rurallife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:43 AM   #46
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

The state of the AK back then was better quality and quality control. That's it.

The prices adjusted for inflation are no worse if not better now than they were back then.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #47
cztulsa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172236

Brings back memories of working at the old NAPA parts store, and when it was slow we'd wear those Shotgun News papers out. I had no interest in "assault rifles" back then (was into handguns) - what a shame. Aside from the price (yeah, inflation), was the availability of some really cool hardware. I remember my coworker always talking about wanting an FN FAL and a Valmet. Didn't even know what they were then.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:09 AM   #48
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

The drum mag for $95 and 30rder for $15 - that is surprising.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #49
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Thanks for the memories. Now I am damning myself for not buying more Mitchells back in the day. Ah the good old USA was a much better place back then.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #50
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
Apparently it's the trigger. I let a nice local E.G. slip away. Eh, the Bulgy is fine. Unissued SOG, I should buy another.

And a Norinco 1911, still want one.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 1911. I mean, it's my freaking baby. (Not a Norinco, I went Colt). But if the Soviet nations (Bulgaria, Russia, E Germany... basically anything buy China or NK, lol) made a Makarov in 9mm luger, I don't think I would ever carry anything else...
TXsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #51
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Ah the good old USA was a much better place back then.
You aint lying my man.
The 80s and 90s while awhile back, isnt that long ago. It really was a much simpler and better place.
The end of the cold war really changed things up and for the worse. During the cold war, everybody was in check and knew their place.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #52
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
You aint lying my man.
The 80s and 90s while awhile back, isnt that long ago. It really was a much simpler and better place.
The end of the cold war really changed things up and for the worse. During the cold war, everybody was in check and knew their place.
As a gen X 80's kid, I fucking miss that decade badly......
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #53
Jacobsnc

AKaholic #: 192436

You guys should have been around through the fifties and early sixties. Could buy just about anything really cheap. I bought a 6.5 Carcono carbine for $8.88 at a Jamesway store. No AK types around that I can remember. Sears catalog sold M-1 carbines for $49.00.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #54
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
As a gen X 80's kid, I fucking miss that decade badly......
Gen X here also, miss those days myself
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #55
Mebsuta

AKaholic #: 8087

I didn't have any money in 1988 so I don't care.

I really miss the Hayes 2400 baud modem.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #56
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Say 1990-2010 was a really good time for military surplus, which often included AK items.

After 1968, it was actually much tougher to import surplus, even some bolt action rifles. Things started to loosen up by the 1980s, so we started to see some old surplus guns coming back.
Yes 1989's 'assault rifle' import ban stunk, but....
On the otherhand, Communism was starting to crumble all throughout E. Europe, with the grand finale in Russia in 1991.
This meant that loads and loads of firearms and firearm accessories would soon be hitting US shores. Former Comblock nations had tons of the stuff they no longer needed, while at the same time they had need of hard cash.

So we saw a lot of AK parts kits and magazines and surplus ammo sure; along with a lot of older stuff from WWII and even WWI. Mausers, Carcanos, Mosins, more Mausers; all just setting in warehouses all over the land, patiently waiting for Americans to give them new homes..like the oldest orphins in the world.

Sure, the Chinese pipeline was shut off in 1994, but this just made room for Bulgarian and Romanian AKs to take the place.

Again tons and tons of surplus came over, and the smart people waited until after 2004 to build the kits up into working semi rifles (or at least to show their constructions publcally lol).

All of this a the same time this here internet was kicking off, allowing hobbiests and history buffs and gunsmiths to share their ideas and neat firearms.
Back in the 1980s, unless you were really lucky, you basically had no one to enjoy AKs with, you were alone.
But that all changed, and now we've all found each other. We can share info, our collections, and shooting tips/tricks.
Also, we've brought the AK out of the corner and even convinced many former AR15 fanboys to join us.

Oh and, yes while $300-$400 seems like a crazy great price for a Chinese AK today, remember just how much money that was back in the '80s!
The first TV i bought cost me $100 and my first (good) stereo was $250 (hey, i had my priorities).
Hell, my first car was $500 (yes, i owned a car once...long story), and my parents' house cost them $15,000.

Plus, people weren't charging things on credit cards back then like they do today...at least not in my family hehe. For something like a gun, you worked and saved up; paying for it with cash. That was if you were lucky enough to have a LGS that even stocked AKs, which here in Arkansas then wasn't exactly common.
Yes, you could always special order and pay whatever price you were given...and also wait 4 to 8 weeks for it to come in.

Then there was finding ammo and magazines. To my way of thinking, both were more expensive back in the '80s and '90s compared with today.

Truth is, i probably wouldn't have even been aware of Chinese AKs as a kid, except my dad was one of those (rare) guys who actually liked 'assault rifles.' He had an SP1 and MAC10, and we went to gunshows where I handled AKs and other toys. Also of course LGS from time to time like on birthdays.
I grew up in a small town, so none of the pawnstores had such guns, though they did have M1 Garands and such which was neat.
We had to drive an hour or more to visit Fort Smith, Fayetteville, and even sometimes Little Rock which had the biggest stores back then.
Fun fact, I was in and out of children's hospital a good bit as a kid and it just so happened that a big Class III dealer wasn't but a few blocks away hehe. I really wish my dad had bought that Thompson like he kept saying he would...but then again, $200 was a lot of money just for a stamp then.

Again minimum wage. It was around $2.50 in the early '80s, and just over $3.25 at the end.
So 100 hours of work to pay for a Chinese AK, and that's not even accounting for taxes.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #57
MURICA

AKaholic #: 192256

So AKs much cheaper, mags about the same. Depressing~
MURICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:49 PM   #58
mishaco
Veteran Member

No, AKs much the same as today, mag much much much cheaper today than back in the '80s.
Ammo about the same too.

Also remember as someone already posted, those are dealer prices; not retail.
Retail was set by the LGS and since competition was low back then, they could go a bit crazy. I think that's why i first made friends in the gun business, just to get decent pricing lol (sorry Jeff, I was using you all all along! ha ha ha).
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #59
Oxmix

AKaholic #: 74696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsnc View Post
You guys should have been around through the fifties and early sixties. Could buy just about anything really cheap. I bought a 6.5 Carcono carbine for $8.88 at a Jamesway store. No AK types around that I can remember. Sears catalog sold M-1 carbines for $49.00.
Montgomery Ward had adds in the Sunday news paper with WWl Mausers and British Enfields for next to nothing.

I remember when Target use to sell guns. I remember a whole row of M1 Carbines, that looked like they had been dragged behind a pick up down a dirt road, for around $50.00. The kicked was, on the end cap were boxes of ammo for the Carbines.

We live in a whole different time.
Oxmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #60
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post

Again minimum wage. It was around $2.50 in the early '80s, and just over $3.25 at the end.
So 100 hours of work to pay for a Chinese AK, and that's not even accounting for taxes.
My first job at 16 paid $3.35 which was the min wage
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #61
David Teague
Droll Moderator

AKaholic #: 162037

Quote:
No, AKs much the same as today, mag much much much cheaper today than back in the '80s.
Ammo about the same too.

Also remember as someone already posted, those are dealer prices; not retail.
Retail was set by the LGS and since competition was low back then, they could go a bit crazy. I think that's why i first made friends in the gun business, just to get decent pricing lol (sorry Jeff, I was using you all all along! ha ha ha).
That was me.

We had a standard mark up on most items but the owner would go crazy with hard to get items like the S&W model 29 and 629. Then again, to get a 29 we have to buy 2 or 3 model 10ís from the jobber.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #62
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Inflation did not increase AK prices by nearly 3 times .
There up because there cool now, harder to get, the political climate , prepper mania, sanctions, the lack of kits and the Internet that showed every one how to build and guys development of build tools.

A $275 Saiga did not become a $1200 or more rifle in 10 or 12 years due to inflation.
1biggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #63
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Inflation did not increase AK prices by nearly 3 times .
There up because there cool now, harder to get, the political climate , prepper mania, sanctions, the lack of kits and the Internet that showed every one how to build and guys development of build tools.

A $275 Saiga did not become a $1200 or more rifle in 10 or 12 years due to inflation.
No one here said they did.

We are talking about AK prices from the 80's, not 10 years ago.

And $300 in 1987 is the equivalent of $638 in 2017 which is the average price for a WASR or PAP as of now so nothing new there.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #64
MXGreg

AKaholic #: 183841

The price on the box for my WASR is $299, then marked down to $259. The label is dated March '05. I bought it a couple months ago, still unfired, for $349. Damn inflation!
MXGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 AM   #65
mishaco
Veteran Member

Yep, talking '80s vs recent times here, not 5-10 years ago only. Agreed, the WASR and SGL have climbed in value/worth for other reasons than inflation.

Back to '80s chat, keep in mind we're talking Chinese guns here, which really were the WASR or NPAPs of their day. Not at all saying bad guns, just that they were the cheapest AKs around.

If you look at the prices of the Cassner FEG SA 85m, Steyr Maadi ARM, or Mitchells Zastava M70 and then adjust those for inflation; you'll get numbers that hang in there with modern guns like Arsenals or VEPRs.

Or if you really want to see some big numbers, do the same with Finnish Valmets or Israeli IMI Galils.

And if you just feel like seeing the ultimate in '80s pricing, look into what the Swiss SiG SG-550 cost. At first, you'll just assume the number you're seeing has already been adjusted, and you'd be wrong. They really did cost that in Reagan dollars!

Most of this stuff, i didn't even see in person back then. I didn't know a soul in Ark that owned anything SiG or had a Steyr Maadi.
Cassner SA 85's were uncommon, but would pop up rarely here and there. People knew about IMI Galils thanks to IMI Uzis, but not many folks actually had one. Cost a lot more than an AR-180 or even Colt AR15.

So basically, around here at least, AK equalled Chinese. They made up the majority of preban AKs.

And nothing was available at that time from Russia, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, or Czechoslovakia (not an AK I know but still deserves mentioning).

Chinese AKs are cool, but after sometime, many of us did yearn for anything different.

Humans; we always want what we can't have hehe.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #66
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Seeing those prices is the reason why I think people are insane for paying a fortune just to have a pre-ban! Millions of them were imported, except for a few rare models, they are way over priced!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #67
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Or if you really want to see some big numbers, do the same with Finnish Valmets or Israeli IMI Galils.

And if you just feel like seeing the ultimate in '80s pricing, look into what the Swiss SiG SG-550 cost. At first, you'll just assume the number you're seeing has already been adjusted, and you'd be wrong. They really did cost that in Reagan dollars!.
M, dont forget the cost of the good ole domestic Colt AR15 generally $1k back then.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #68
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Seeing those prices is the reason why I think people are insane for paying a fortune just to have a pre-ban! Millions of them were imported, except for a few rare models, they are way over priced!
Except you are not taking some factors into account:

A) No more being made so with a limited/dwindling supply and high demand that will raise their value.

B) Except for the Serbs bringing in lesser quality AK's than their pre-ban counterparts, none of those other countries can import or even make AK's anymore

C) Exempt from 922r which is a big deal to some folks

D) Better quality control and refinement compared to AK's made today

E) No, millions were not imported. I bet no more than 100,000 ever made it here and I am probably being extremely generous with that estimate. Most came in during the 90's and beyond well after the pre-'89 guns stopped.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #69
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Except you are not taking some factors into account:

A) No more being made so with a limited/dwindling supply and high demand that will raise their value.

B) Except for the Serbs bringing in lesser quality AK's than their pre-ban counterparts, none of those other countries can import or even make AK's anymore

C) Exempt from 922r which is a big deal to some folks

D) Better quality control and refinement compared to AK's made today

E) No, millions were not imported. I bet no more than 100,000 ever made it here and I am probably being extremely generous with that estimate. Most came in during the 90's and beyond well after the pre-'89 guns stopped.
Scott, you know your shit 100 times better than i when it comes to these weapons, but i kinda sorta disagree with E.
Back in the 90s, all my gun friends and family members bought Mak90's because we all figured a total ban was comming.
I also met others that owned them threw the years.
Fast forward to modern day im part of a small group of a dozen or so gun club and all but two own MAK90's, one of the fella's even owns a UF Type 56.
I would guess more than 100k came in threw the years.
I know for a fact there alot of NIB AK's and MAK90's sitting in peoples safes because they bought them for the same reasons we did but never got around to shooting them for whatever reason.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #70
charleslee1

AKaholic #: 168150

I remember walking into a gun store in ‘89 in MA & they had a whole pallet full of boxed Chinese AK’s up front for somewhere around the prices in these ads. $250/$275.
One of those indelible visions.
charleslee1 is online now   Reply With Quote