Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #71
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

My Blue Sky imported back M1 carbine was $90 around 1984.
Same day I passed on a pair of remington 1911s military issue gor about $200 each I'm pissed I did not get the pistols.

AK'S were a steal in 2002 or so.
Mc sports had Romy gor under $200 ag one point I think for a s ok ngle stack.
My Saiga 410 was $175 lightly used off a rack and my Saiga 308 was $300 I think on the last day the transfer forms said rifle or pistol on them becuase I rushed to get a pair of $60 NDS 5 recivers transfered in as Pistol not other at my FFL.

AR'S are the bargain rifle of the day.
$350 and you can build one.
If you haven't grabbed one then don't bitch next election.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #72
Cold_Storage
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162009

As I say every time this thread pops up, the late 90s/early 00s were even better IMO. Sub-$300 Romanian AKs, surplus mags for under $10. ((10)) waffles under $10. EG 5.45 bakes $5 brand new. Ammo usually around $80/1000 but my first 1k of Wolf was $69. My first AK (SAR-1) was $325 TOTAL after tax and transfer.

Mid-00s not bad either. Dirt cheap 7n6, $8 new Bulgy 5.45 mags, parts kits out the wazoo.

That wasn't quite as long ago, so it is more supply/demand than inflation.

The AR guys are getting their "golden age" now.
Cold_Storage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #73
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Scott, you know your shit 100 times better than i when it comes to these weapons, but i kinda sorta disagree with E.
Back in the 90s, all my gun friends and family members bought Mak90's because we all figured a total ban was comming.
I also met others that owned them threw the years.
Fast forward to modern day im part of a small group of a dozen or so gun club and all but two own MAK90's, one of the fella's even owns a UF Type 56.
I would guess more than 100k came in threw the years.
I know for a fact there alot of NIB AK's and MAK90's sitting in peoples safes because they bought them for the same reasons we did but never got around to shooting them for whatever reason.
I was talking purely pre-ban's, not the MAK's.

The Chinese caught on and flooded the market with them before they were cut off for good. I would say there are many more post-ban Chinese AK's than pre-ban's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Storage View Post
That wasn't quite as long ago, so it is more supply/demand than inflation.
+1

Many elements helped to increase AK popularity particularly the media.

Movies, documentaries, and video games coupled with an Obama presidency made the AK more mainstream and popular thus increasing their value and demand raising prices within a short period of time.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #74
d8221970

AKaholic #: 188821

If I could only invent a time machine and take wads of cash back to that time.
d8221970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #75
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

When your talking pre bans you can't say it's all inflation that changed.
Bottom line is not being able to have something or fear of that Is a main factor if why these guns are so expensive.
Before the sanctions nobody wanted that junk as it was percieved then and that's why it was cheap and just sitting on shelves.

The early 2000's was the hey day for AK'S IMO . After the sunset of restrictions there were literally $50 barreled AK kits a guy could build a rifle for under $100. I did a bunch
Builders used to brag how they could build a better rifle for less than a POS WASR. You need to go back to the 80' to really see inflation factor in on most standard firearms.

Consider many standard rifles like savage,remington bilt guns are about the same price now as 15 years ago.

What's popular and avaliable is a big factor.
Same thing applies to Harelys, cars and other trendy stuff.

The Beanie Baby market tanked. So buy those now LOL.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #76
akma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaddywack View Post
We are in the "days of the AR" at the moment. Take advantage. Love seeing those adds.....simpler times.
Absolutely. AR's are pretty inexpensive now so look to the future and plan accordingly and you will have no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Hey Guys!

Those are dealer prices in a time before internet transfers.

The shop I worked at charged 10% of the cost of the firearm plus shipping to special order it, cash in advance.

We used a 24% profit margin on stocking firearms. So...

An AK that cost $289.95 would sell retail for $385.95 in a stocking dealer using standard industry mark up.

Using a inflation calculator, that retail price is $800.50 in today’s dollars.
Very well said. I remember real AK's for $400ish. I did buy but MAK's for $189 and SKS for $90. You could get a case of ammo from the SGN vendors pretty cheap though. But we live in the here and now and some reasonable deals can still be had.
2Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

When you live like Hell don't be surprised when the Devil holds your hand. Old Proverb
akma is online now   Reply With Quote