Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
MIR

AKaholic #: 189910
Default Arsenal SA M7 or Colt AR15A4

A while back I was considering buying a (ban rifle) Arsenal SA M7 carbine. this rifle has the pinned on SLR-95 type muzzle compensator, no bayonet lug, no scope rail--and has a milled receiver. It is built like a tank, very high quality AK he said he would sell it to me for 800.00.
Then I thought about the surplus 7.62 ammo importation situation, that may or may not get more restricted. ( I could be worrying for nothing, I dont know) but it may be something to consider--who knows.

Just the other day I bought my first AR platform rifle---A Colt LE6920---- and since I was going to buy another rifle anyway, I am now crossed between the
Arsenal SA M7 Carbine and a Colt AR15A4. I already have a Arsenal SAS7 UF--- milled receiver--bayonet lug,threaded muzzle---I love it and have shot it only a few times.

If that is--IF-- 7.62 becomes harder to get with more import restrictions ammo may be harder to get or more expensive or both..... parts to may be a consideration as well. ---If God forbid--the democrats get back in power in 2020---- I could see this happening---because they are going to ban everything they can. Especially if we have more shootings with "assault rifles"--I think even some Republicans are going to cave on this eventually.....

5.56 on the other hand may be much more accessible, AR parts are plentiful----

So there you go, those are my considerations----

What would you do---which is the better investment and the wiser choice----?
MIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
dArK 47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167665

Add another Pony. Your Arsenal has you good to go - just lay in some spare parts.

Dont think about these as "investments" in the money-sense. If things get bad, these are worth more than a wad of paper. Also, in a real SHTF world, trading guns and ammo would get you targeted really quick.
dArK 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
newbaby

AKaholic #: 155219

If it were me, I would go ahead and get the Arsenal SA M7 Carbine. IF in the even the ammo ban comes into play, you could always have the chance to sell it later, and get the Colt and 5.56 ammo.
newbaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

SA M7's were made in America, the current SAM7's are made in Bulgaria. I'm not sure this matters to you, just understand what you'd be getting. I'm a bit biased toward the made in Bulgaria SAM7's, this is just personal preference. I'd take the Colt A4 over a fancy "kit gun" any day.
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
genxgixxer
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 179329

Lately i've been expanding my AR collection, AK's have gotten out of hand price wise and honestly i'm a bit bored of them. I am concentrating on vintage 5.56 weapons now.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
MIR

AKaholic #: 189910

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxgixxer View Post
Lately i've been expanding my AR collection, AK's have gotten out of hand price wise and honestly i'm a bit bored of them. I am concentrating on vintage 5.56 weapons now.
I will agree with you on that---prices for AK's have gone through the roof...... and just think for about 10 years on and off, back in the 90's and early 2000's, I owned several Polytech Legends(it was my favorite AK---Love the type III) , I can remember paying 8-900.00 for a NIB one and I complained about it......wish now I had kept the SA Kassners,the Maadis,the Legends, the type 56's---darn and sold every darn one of them...and since being out of the AK groove since about 2000...... I look at the prices of those now and almost fainted.....

I will probably go with the Colt AR15A4..... I still love my Arsenal SAS-7 UF though, just kinda wish I had a full stock AK...... I keep looking to Arsenal for new AK's coming out....but it doesnt seem they are going to be making any more.......and that is a real shame!!!!!
MIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
craigntx
team ftp

AKaholic #: 45512

I have half a dozen 6920 an a4 and I'm $200 from finishing the layaway on a sam7 uf at buds. Can't go wrong with any of them
Old 11-09-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

I'd get the a4 over a kit gun. That is unless I just really wanted something made from the particular parts from that kit.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Cartel
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164753

AR15A4
Cartel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

AR
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

A4 is tits. Do it!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #12
brewster411

AKaholic #: 180722

Now's the time to buy AR15s. They can't go much cheaper!
brewster411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
SawedOffYankeePrick
Bringer Of Fuck

AKaholic #: 180365

Duh, it’s almost Christmas! Get the colt. Cheapest they’ve been in years.
SawedOffYankeePrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

What I don't like about that SA M-7 Carbine is that it is a ban model. Not only does that remind me of the dark days of the AWB, it really hurts the value/worth/resale. You can get a NIB no-ban SAM7R for under $1,200 and a used one for $1,000ish. Extra money well spent IMO.

The Colt AR15 a4s are starting to dry up again, and Colt's financial footing is extremely shaky these days. Who knows their future and how many more civilian semis they'll put out? That combined with low prices right now, why not?

As to ammo, i've not bought 7.62x39 surplus in a decade. I've stuck with modern commercial stuff and that's been fine.

With so many AK, SKS, Mini-30, and other X39 owners in the USA; trust me some company will always be selling inexpensive ammo to feed the need. Its just business sense. Besides, no reason to worry and go gray over worrying about "What If"s. Just deal with things if and when they happen.

As to things in 2020....boy I tell you, 2008-2016 was so bad huh? So many new laws and all the imports got shut down right?
Face it, Democrats talk big about gun controll, but its mostly just that, talk. Ever since Clinton shut his dick in a door by signing the AWB in 1994 and the Dems basically lost the South, that party has been pretty scared of actually passing new laws. Not saying many in it don't want them, just that they are ineffective, lazy, and corrupt.

Likewise, the Republicans talk big about gun rights and the gun public, but actually do very little to help us...even sometimes working against us.
Is it time i bring up the 1989 import ban signed by Bush again?

We are not safe just because the Republicans have control of most of the gov't right now. We have to remain vigilant all the time.
Politicians are not our friends, neither Dem or Rep.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #15
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Agree 100% with Mishaco on his various points.
I prefer AKMs over ARs but I would get the Colt.
7.62 will always be available imho.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #16
Triathloncoach
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 186291

I also agree with Mishaco. But I think before Colt forever shuts its doors, someone will buy the brand and keep the ARs and the 1911s going.

Buy what you want. Flip a coin, while the coin is in the air you will know which you want more.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #17
vaktathi

AKaholic #: 176848

The big issue to me is that Colt's of late have been seeing increasingly more and more subcontracted, non-Colt parts, and Colt itself is basically a shell company being sucked dry of any and all value by its shareholders before they discard its withered husk and move on. If you're looking for a shooter, the M16A4 may be a bit more questionable if it's newer manufacture. If you're looking for a roll-mark and a potential investment before Colt is flushed forever, it may be a good buy.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
skillet24

AKaholic #: 191989

I think the colt is better for the money. Arsenals are cool but it's hard to justify the cost compared to other ak's. I just don't think any commercially make ak is worth 1200-1300 except the milled chicoms. That being said I'll get one eventually to fill the bulgy gap in my collection but I'd pick the colt first. AR's are cheap, get them now.
skillet24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #19
mishaco

I've never had any trouble selling an Arsenal for what I had in it or even for some profit...and I am talking about personal guns, not something from the store.

So agree with it or not (and not saying you're wrong either) but the market ahs determined that Arsenals are indeed worth the money.
That said, AWB compliant versions bring significantly less than standard ones, so why even bother with one? Plus assembled in NV rather than BG. Its a personal thing, but I like the real McCoys as I have said.

As to the AR15 A4, Colt has never made them in huge numbers. They seem to release a batch once or twice a year, and then they dry up for months.
During such dry spells, I've seen NIB examples fetch as much as $2k on Gunbroker, no shit, no joke and not during a scare time either. With Colt's future very uncertain right now, a long dry spell might be coming too.

Look what happened with the LE6920 SOCOM. They were $1,100 NIB when in production and shipping; but jumped up to $1,600-$1,800 fast after they disappeared.

Like it or not, Colt's name is its biggest asset and selling point.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #20
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIR View Post
A while back I was considering buying a (ban rifle) Arsenal SA M7 carbine. this rifle has the pinned on SLR-95 type muzzle compensator, no bayonet lug, no scope rail--and has a milled receiver. It is built like a tank, very high quality AK he said he would sell it to me for 800.00.
Then I thought about the surplus 7.62 ammo importation situation, that may or may not get more restricted. ( I could be worrying for nothing, I dont know) but it may be something to consider--who knows.

Just the other day I bought my first AR platform rifle---A Colt LE6920---- and since I was going to buy another rifle anyway, I am now crossed between the
Arsenal SA M7 Carbine and a Colt AR15A4. I already have a Arsenal SAS7 UF--- milled receiver--bayonet lug,threaded muzzle---I love it and have shot it only a few times.

If that is--IF-- 7.62 becomes harder to get with more import restrictions ammo may be harder to get or more expensive or both..... parts to may be a consideration as well. ---If God forbid--the democrats get back in power in 2020---- I could see this happening---because they are going to ban everything they can. Especially if we have more shootings with "assault rifles"--I think even some Republicans are going to cave on this eventually.....

5.56 on the other hand may be much more accessible, AR parts are plentiful----

So there you go, those are my considerations----

What would you do---which is the better investment and the wiser choice----?
arsenal
flakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #21
BEY

AKaholic #: 174714

You could get one the Mexico branded Colt 6920 for $700, at gundeals.com. If there still available.
BEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

I'd spring for the colt. The ar15a4 is the next AR on my list. I think that rife will be rare in the years to come. And it's just bad ass.
hamdizle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #23
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIR View Post
I will agree with you on that---prices for AK's have gone through the roof...... and just think for about 10 years on and off, back in the 90's and early 2000's, I owned several Polytech Legends(it was my favorite AK---Love the type III) , I can remember paying 8-900.00 for a NIB one and I complained about it......wish now I had kept the SA Kassners,the Maadis,the Legends, the type 56's---darn and sold every darn one of them...and since being out of the AK groove since about 2000...... I look at the prices of those now and almost fainted.....

I will probably go with the Colt AR15A4..... I still love my Arsenal SAS-7 UF though, just kinda wish I had a full stock AK...... I keep looking to Arsenal for new AK's coming out....but it doesnt seem they are going to be making any more.......and that is a real shame!!!!!
Several legends? And I kick myself for letting my one Poly AKS-762 go. Oh man. I'm so sorry. It happens though. We all do it.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #24
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillet24 View Post
I think the colt is better for the money. Arsenals are cool but it's hard to justify the cost compared to other ak's. I just don't think any commercially make ak is worth 1200-1300 except the milled chicoms. That being said I'll get one eventually to fill the bulgy gap in my collection but I'd pick the colt first. AR's are cheap, get them now.
Meh, while price one would pay is obviously subjective, I'd say the milled Bulgies are worth that price. Then the rational side of me kicks in and realizes that other third world countries pay $20 for FA Ak's and it makes me seriously question that opinion. But yeah, I agree about the milled chicoms. Beautiful rifles.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 AM   #25
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster411 View Post
Now's the time to buy AR15s. They can't go much cheaper!
They have actually started to slowly creep up.
I agree that now is the time to buy anything AR/M4
Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #26
Curt2u
Fanboy of nothing

AKaholic #: 176158

Only correct answer is get both. Duh.
Curt2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #27
Hairy Guttcrack

AKaholic #: 194242

I built an a4 just for fun, but absolutely fell in love with it. The m16a4 length and a2 handgurds are super light and handy(though I added an m5). You won't regret a stock m16a4/ar15a4.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #28
Flankenstein
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172491

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktathi View Post
The big issue to me is that Colt's of late have been seeing increasingly more and more subcontracted, non-Colt parts, and Colt itself
You're ill-informed. Models with outsourced parts are known and the A4 certainly isn't one of them. Get back in the corner.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #29
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flankenstein View Post
You're ill-informed. Models with outsourced parts are known and the A4 certainly isn't one of them. Get back in the corner.

I'd guess "Expanse" is the one this guy was thinking about, not the A4
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 AM   #30
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

20" AR15s are just so nice to shoot. Get the Colt.
WAguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #31
mishaco

Unfortunately, he isn't so illinformed. LE6920s have started to show up w/o C marked BCGs and some other parts don't have full Colt proofs these days either.
I've yet to see this with an AR15 A4, but have observed it first hand with M4 variants made 2017.

Also, i feel like enough of you aren't getting hung up on the fact that the Arsenal SA M-7 he's asking about in this OP is a 'ban style' model. So no bayo lug and no removable muzzle device. Those things really impact its value/worth on the secondary market, especially with full featured SAM7Rs still available for under $1.2k new and $1.0k Used.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #32
Flankenstein
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172491

Expanse and competition rifles are outsourced (both parts and assembly). Nothing else. Colt is and has beenmismanaged for an awful long time now but that's another issue that i won't address or defend.