Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Clown

AKaholic #: 191726
Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.
Default What’s up with everyones excitement about Maadi?

So, I don’t know shit about the Egyptian AK imports that are in America. BUT in Iraq, they’re considered crappier than the Zastava and the chinese. There is literally almost none of them here, those that exist are shitty as hell, nobody takes care of them since there is zero value in them. What’s up with that? You all seem excited as hell about them.

The few Zastavas that are here, I can understand people don’t want. Because the ones I’ve seen have no parts interchangability, and have to be scrapped when shit breaks.
Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Czysz

AKaholic #: 183529

I saw an example the other day at the range and it was a dog, everything was crooked. Just another quality MISR Maadi.
Czysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

MAADIs get their respect because they're built on actual Soviet machinery to Soviet AKM spec. They were, for the longest time, the 'closest thing' to a soviet AKM that was available in the US.

Any AK that lives in a harsh environment and is not well-cared for (which middle eastern nations seem to do poorly) will have trouble and/or look like shit. The AK's reputation as indestructible may also contribute to users neglect.

MISRs are a different story entirely, if I recall correctly. Were those the jumbled builds specific for the US AWB market?
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Clown

Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigan View Post
MAADIs get their respect because they're built on actual Soviet machinery to Soviet AKM spec. They were, for the longest time, the 'closest thing' to a soviet AKM that was available in the US.

Any AK that lives in a harsh environment and is not well-cared for (which middle eastern nations seem to do poorly) will have trouble and/or look like shit. The AK's reputation as indestructible may also contribute to users neglect.

MISRs are a different story entirely, if I recall correctly. Were those the jumbled builds specific for the US AWB market?
The Egyptian AK’s aren’t well cared for here because they have a reputation as horrible shit tho, so I’m wondering what the basis for that rep is.

I can also mention that Russian and Polish AK’s are very well taken care of here and considered quality craftmanship
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
Craigan

I found Arab tribalism to be rampant, with them being inherently suspicious of other Arabs. It could be as simple a thing as Egypt signing a treaty with Israel as well. You've got the whole Sunni/Shiite thing too.

The Bagdhadians weren't cool with the Ramadis, the Fallujians weren't cordial with the Jordanians, and none of them liked the Kurds.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

I've seen tons of Egyptian AKs in Iraq. They had the most horrible finish I've ever seen.
Every other gun looked like it was dragged behind the truck on the gravel road for a few months.

Last edited by Machak_Silver; 11-10-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Machak_Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigan View Post
The Bagdhadians weren't cool with the Ramadis, the Fallujians weren't cordial with the Jordanians, and none of them liked the Kurds.

This video is mislabeled. This is "Merry Minuet" by the Kingston Trio
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Thunderhorse

AKaholic #: 172770

My Egyptian kit build has never missed a beat; but it is rougher than my East German and Bulgarians.
Thunderhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
rurallife
gas operated

AKaholic #: 186131

Here's a stupid question (it has to do with the oft repeated Maadi machinery made by Russia/staff trained by Russians)

Who made Romanian/Polish/Bulgarian/EG AK manufacturing equipment - in the beginning?

Nevermind the Yugo stuff, Tito ran his own shitshow obviously.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed.
rurallife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

No excitement here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
csphar54r

AKaholic #: 180923

Some folks in America enjoy collecting foreign built imports from different parts of the world. Maadis are interesting so why not?
csphar54r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
David Teague
Droll Moderator

AKaholic #: 162037

They are shitty.

The US importer back in the early 1980s hyped them up with marketing:

"Built on USSR equipment, by USSR trained gunsmiths to USSR milspec! As close to the Soviet ANY we as Americans can ever buy!"

People took that as gospel and older gun guys remember it as fact.

It's bullshit.

They are poor examples of the AKM and I even have one built up from a military parts kit in the gun safe.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

I had five (5) of them I built from kits a few years ago.....I only have one (1) left now.

They were/are some of the crappiest parts kits I have ever seen.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
rudyod
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156764

Egyptian Maadi's are known to be upwards of 3 times more accurate than the next best AK and are constructed of a space-age alloy that is virtually indestructible. Egyptians chose to use an unappealing finish to deter enemies from picking up rifles discarded on the field of battle and, thus, learning the secrets of their superiority. That choice was wildly successful as, to date, no other AK manufacturers have come even remotely close to duplicating the superior workmanship and functionality of the mighty Egyptian Maadi.

Bigfootscousin
rudyod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #15
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyod View Post
Egyptian Maadi's are known to be upwards of 3 times more accurate than the next best AK and are constructed of a space-age alloy that is virtually indestructible. Egyptians chose to use an unappealing finish to deter enemies from picking up rifles discarded on the field of battle and, thus, learning the secrets of their superiority. That choice was wildly successful as, to date, no other AK manufacturers have come even remotely close to duplicating the superior workmanship and functionality of the mighty Egyptian Maadi.

lol
Old 11-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
Unit28
(((DB)))

AKaholic #: 176712

Besides E.G. Kits who buys AKs for the finish???
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
Craigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit28 View Post
Besides E.G. Kits who buys AKs for the finish???
Chinese guns have great bluing. I consider it more of a perk, though.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
rurallife
gas operated

Maadi fans are being strangely quiet.....
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #19
CrusherDestroyer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169869

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
Here's a stupid question (it has to do with the oft repeated Maadi machinery made by Russia/staff trained by Russians)

Who made Romanian/Polish/Bulgarian/EG AK manufacturing equipment - in the beginning?
It's... the Soviets! Right? Did I win?

It really says something when a gunsmith in Pakistani mudhut with pedal power tools makes better stuff than Egypt.
CrusherDestroyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #20
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Bottom of the barrel, right next to yugos and chinese AKs.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза

Last edited by chknfkr; 11-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #21
Czysz

AKaholic #: 183529

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
I concur honeslty they are probably worse than the yugos or chinese.
Czysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
Maadi fans are being strangely quiet.....
Well I am one after buying one.

Mine has been straight and true.

Never a jam and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I trust their quality over the shitshow of U.S. builds that we have been "blessed" with lately. On the rankings of worldwide AK producing countries I would rate them in the middle to low rankings, certainly better than the stuff that came out of Albania, Ethiopia and Nigeria (yes they are making AK's too now).

Yea, their finish is rough and not as durable compared to AK's but I didn't buy it to be a fancy showpiece. I bought my AK to be an AK. Does it shoot? Is it durable? That is all I care about and it does those things well.

Like others said, closest thing to a true factory AKM import that we could get. WASR's lack the dimples and use single-stack bolts, Arsenal's are modernized and different, PAP's are their own thing as are the Chinese, Saiga's are based on the AK-100 series, the few Hungarian AKM's we got are different from the fact they use AK-47-type furniture, a funky pistol grip, and an AK-47 type gas tube with blonde furniture. The SAR-1 is probably the only other AK that comes close to being a true factory AKM but again uses a different type of furniture than laminated that the Soviets used that the Egyptians did.

So if you want a factory, Russian-looking AKM then the Maadi is the only game in town we could get.

Last edited by Scott7891; 11-10-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
rurallife
gas operated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherDestroyer View Post
It's... the Soviets! Right? Did I win?

It really says something when a gunsmith in Pakistani mudhut with pedal power tools makes better stuff than Egypt.
Ok ok, your choice, seegar or double shot of single barrel ....

Bourbon thahht is
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Well I am one after buying one.

Mine has been straight and true.

Never a jam and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I trust their quality over the shitshow of U.S. builds that we have been "blessed" with lately. On the rankings of worldwide AK producing countries I would rate them in the middle to low rankings, certainly better than the stuff that came out of Albania, Ethiopia and Nigeria (yes they are making AK's too now).

Yea, their finish is rough and not as durable compared to AK's but I didn't buy it to be a fancy showpiece. I bought my AK to be an AK. Does it shoot? Is it durable? That is all I care about and it does those things well.

Like others said, closest thing to a true factory AKM import that we could get. WASR's lack the dimples and use single-stack bolts, Arsenal's are modernized and different, PAP's are their own thing as are the Chinese, Saiga's are based on the AK-100 series, the few Hungarian AKM's we got are different from the fact they use AK-47-type furniture, a funky pistol grip, and an AK-47 type gas tube with blonde furniture. The SAR-1 is probably the only other AK that comes close to being a true factory AKM but again uses a different type of furniture than laminated that the Soviets used that the Egyptians did.

That makes absolutely no sense. So some laminated wood and dimples are justification for buying a low end(at best, internationally) AK? What’s wrong with polish ones? They are litterally indistinguishable from the russian ones except for markings?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #25
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. So some laminated wood and dimples are justification for buying a low end(at best, internationally) AK? What’s wrong with polish ones? They are litterally indistinguishable from the russian ones except for markings?
It makes absolute sense you are just too dense to get it. That is fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Polish AK's here are NOT factory. They are all parts kits. I would rather have a factory gun than pay $1000 for a glorified parts-kit. I only paid $600 for my Maadi already converted. Why pay more for fancy paint and other crap I don't care for? I bought a fighting gun I am not a pansy obsessed with pretty finishes.

Again all I care about is if my gun works and my Maadi works. Sorry that your experience in Iraq shows otherwise but it doesn't speak for everyone's nor are you the final authority.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #26
Clown

So what prevents you from buying a Romy SAR and some Russian furniture? You’ll have a high to mid end AK thats great. Old AK furniture is sold easily and cheaply in europe, unless it’s all gone to firewood by now.

Oh and I have to ask, is your Maadi F/A? From before the ban you guys got or whatever it was.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

I have had shot one that a buddy owned, was the biggest pile I have ever shot. Wasn't impressed with the fit and finish at all. When he wanted to sell(pretty cheap) it I passed on it. I should have bought it and sold in on here as there are a few on here that like them.
PORTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #28
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
So what prevents you from buying a Romy SAR and some Russian furniture? You’ll have a high to mid end AK thats great. Old AK furniture is sold easily and cheaply in europe, unless it’s all gone to firewood by now.
Because I already have a Romanian AK so why buy another? I like my Egyptian AK and it's great. It works despite all the naysayers here. Maybe they got the crappy MISR-10 or 90? I can understand the dislike for those.

Why are you so bent out of shape that someone likes an AK you despise? Remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Because I already have a Romanian AK so why buy another? I like my Egyptian AK and it's great. It works despite all the naysayers here. Maybe they got the crappy MISR-10 or 90? I can understand the dislike for those.

Why are you so bent out of shape that someone likes an AK you despise?

I am not bent out of shape at all. I’m trying to UNDERSTAND the appeal. I thought first that it was a collectors thing, with exotic markings and stuff, but then found people use them, and not just collect, so I wanted to understand the appeal, and why some on here get so excited.

Is your Maadi a f/a from before that became illegal?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #30
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I am not bent out of shape at all. I’m trying to UNDERSTAND the appeal. I thought first that it was a collectors thing, with exotic markings and stuff, but then found people use them, and not just collect, so I wanted to understand the appeal, and why some on here get so excited.

Is your Maadi a f/a from before that became illegal?
The appeal is taste, that is all.

Is my Maadi my favorite? No but pretty close.

I just like it for what it is. It shoots great and does what I want it to. Is that so hard to understand?

It is a MISR S/A, the good MISR compared to the other ones that I will admit are much crappier mainly for what they are.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
fourtfourmag
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 8377

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyod View Post
Interesting, did not know that, thanks!
Old 11-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #32
DP

AKaholic #: 190448

This thread is like one of those "Hey you stupid American cunts dont know shit with your semi auto rifles while we have full autos in middle east and I know everything"type deal.

And dont forget only get Russian, Romanians cause they are the AK master race.
DP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #33
DP

AKaholic #: 190448

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post

They are all shit, Russian and Bulgarians will fail too.
DP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #34
Craigan

So, after reading all of this, I will say that I have a Maadi that Jim Roberts built into a bfpu back before I began building my own. I wanted a beat up rifle with Arabic letters on it.

Consensus here is that their finish is shit - so maybe he didn't have to do too much
Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #35
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Aside from fit and finish Maadis reputation in the US has always been positive. I’ve never had one issue with mine and I couldn’t give a shit what some goat fuckers in the Middle East think of them lol. They’ve been in the states long enough for all of their drawbacks to be known. There’s no big mystery about them. You said yourself they aren’t taken care of and are mistreated so why would you expect them to look nice? I find it ironic how you preach about the Romanian AKs superiority when for the longest time in the US they were considered bottom of the barrel for their own fit and finish problems, and a few of them at their lowest point completely not even working. You can go on here and find every type of AK not working or being shit in one way or another.

I have all the AKs except for East Germany and Finland. I’ve shot them all extensively, and the only difference between all of them is there fit and finish. They all work the same if they’re combloc or almost all combloc and assembled here properly. In all of these threads I’ve seen no one besides myself talking about how much they like Maadis so I’m not seeing where you see people praising them because no one is. They were imported briefly in the 80s and 90s, and they’re not even all that well known or sought after nowadays.

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote