Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #36
Hogg

AKaholic #: 191642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machak_Silver View Post
I've seen tons of Egyptian AKs in Iraq. They had the most horrible finish I've ever seen.
Every other gun looked like it was dragged behind the truck on the gravel road for a few months.
They might have been
Hogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #37
driveljay

AKaholic #: 184116

My Maadis are my favorite out of the AKs I own. They are both Intrac imports. Can't explain it. Just preference I guess. I swapped the thumbholes out to some surplus russian stuff and they look awesome. The actions are smooth, everything is straight and they shoot very well.
driveljay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #38
Clown

AKaholic #: 191726
Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
The appeal is taste, that is all.

Is my Maadi my favorite? No but pretty close.

I just like it for what it is. It shoots great and does what I want it to. Is that so hard to understand?

It is a MISR S/A, the good MISR compared to the other ones that I will admit are much crappier mainly for what they are.
Thank you for explaining. I can totally get a ”taste appeal” some people like different stuff. For example when it comes to AR’s I absolutely love those ”square” reinforced uppers that everyone seems to hate.

I was very curious about this, and thought for a second that the US export Maadi’s were made with a much much higher spec so it was a performance thing.
Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #39
Clown

Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Aside from fit and finish Maadis reputation in the US has always been positive. I’ve never had one issue with mine and I couldn’t give a shit what some goat fuckers in the Middle East think of them lol. They’ve been in the states long enough for all of their drawbacks to be known. There’s no big mystery about them. You said yourself they aren’t taken care of and are mistreated so why would you expect them to look nice? I find it ironic how you preach about the Romanian AKs superiority when for the longest time in the US they were considered bottom of the barrel for their own fit and finish problems, and a few of them at their lowest point completely not even working. You can go on here and find every type of AK not working or being shit in one way or another.

I have all the AKs except for East Germany and Finland. I’ve shot them all extensively, and the only difference between all of them is there fit and finish. They all work the same if they’re combloc or almost all combloc and assembled here properly. In all of these threads I’ve seen no one besides myself talking about how much they like Maadis so I’m not seeing where you see people praising them because no one is. They were imported briefly in the 80s and 90s and not they’re not even all that well known or sought after nowadays.

I’ve seen the word ”Maadi” pop up a lot lately here on the forum, so I was curious. And as I mentioned before, I wondered also if maybe the US exports were made to a much higher spec.

That seems to happen a lot, I’ve noticed. A lot of the export stuff going to the middle east is the bottom of the barrel, the low spec stuff. In everything from electronics to cars and guns.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #40
Billrube

AKaholic #: 193264

The ARMs are factory milspec built AKs. Misrs are cobbled together from bastardized parts.

They are few and far between and not nearly as crappily finished as the MISRs in my opinion.
I personally prefer Chinese over any on the market today....will take an ARM decently priced any day of the week.
Billrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #41
Flankenstein
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172491

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTER View Post
I have had shot one that a buddy owned, was the biggest pile I have ever shot. Wasn't impressed with the fit and finish at all. When he wanted to sell(pretty cheap) it I passed on it. I should have bought it and sold in on here as there are a few on here that like them.
Fit and finish!!!!! Ahhhhhhh
Old 11-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #42
Flankenstein
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown View Post
Thank you for explaining. I can totally get a ”taste appeal” some people like different stuff. For example when it comes to AR’s I absolutely love those ”square” reinforced uppers that everyone seems to hate.

I was very curious about this, and thought for a second that the US export Maadi’s were made with a much much higher spec so it was a performance thing.
Lol. Like they perform magically better than other akms?

I get your username at least.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #43
David Teague
Droll Moderator

AKaholic #: 162037

When some of us refer to fit and finish we are talking about machining, metal finishing and the hand work under the shitty paint.

Polish guns are the nicest I've seen with Bulgrian and Russian next.

Romanians AKs never have showed the workmanship of the better AKs...

And then there is Egypt dead last for workmanship.

It's more than a paint job.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #44
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown View Post
I’ve seen the word ”Maadi” pop up a lot lately here on the forum, so I was curious. And as I mentioned before, I wondered also if maybe the US exports were made to a much higher spec.

That seems to happen a lot, I’ve noticed. A lot of the export stuff going to the middle east is the bottom of the barrel, the low spec stuff. In everything from electronics to cars and guns.
I don't know whats going on over there, but I've shot a lot of rounds through mine and never had any issues. They've been around for a long ass time and theres nothing new or any big secrets about them. They're one of my favorites because they work very well and when I think off AKs the maadi is what comes to mind, it's rough look is just very attractive. At the end of day for me I like and buy all types of AKs none of them are perfect and they're leagues ahead of any all made in the US aks lmao.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-10-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:03 PM   #45
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
I don't know whats going on over there, but I've shot a lot of rounds through mine and never had any issues. They've been around for a long ass time and theres nothing new or any big secrets about them. They're one of my favorites because they work very well and when I think off AKs the maadi is what comes to mind, it's rough look is just very attractive. At the end of day for me I like and buy all types of AKs none of them are perfect.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel SOSC View Post
The Steyr Maadi, when first imported, was not popular due to the cost.

Dealer price for the Steyr Maadi was $850.00. $1050.00 retail. (Circ. early 80's). Doesn't sound like much by today's prices, but Colt Ar-15 Carbines (CAR-15's) were $450.00 retail too.

Steyr priced themselves out of the market.

Ammo was running around $22 - $24 a box. Only Nosler or Lappua was available at the time.

They looked good but nobody could afford them or the ammo at the time.

If could have found one for $450, I'd still have it.

A few years later the Chinese started coming in with the Clayco's.

The rest is history.

The issue was the THOUSAND dollar price tag for a Steyr import that looked like shit and shot about 5 inch groups at 100 yards. That was a bitter pill for the people who bought them from me back in the day.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #46
Unit28
(((DB)))

AKaholic #: 176712

It's an 80's thing...
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #47
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
The issue was the THOUSAND dollar price tag for a Steyr import that looked like shit and shot about 5 inch groups at 100 yards. That was a bitter pill for the people who bought them from me back in the day.
David, you're going to plummet the Steyr Maadi market with that statement.

A Maadi was my very first AK circa 1993. Mine is actually a very accurate gun with a smooth action. Yeah, it's machining and finish isn't up to par against higher end variants but it will get the job done every bit as well.

For an AK collector, it's a must have in the collection.

" During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Last edited by Night Owl; 11-12-2017 at 12:41 AM.
Night Owl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #48
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

David, thank you for bringing up the pricetag. I think today many people just assume that all AKs back in the '80s were inexpensive like the Chinese (which as we've discussed in that other thread really wasn't true either thanks to inflation).

Steyr Maadis were priced about the same as Steyr AUGs or Finnish Valmets, so no wonder they didn't sell great! True they were the first true AKM variants to ever come in, but damn that price. This is why Steyr/Maadi included a piece of paper saying they were built on original Russian tooling. It was a marketing thing.

Those that have said that Romanian, Polish, and really most every other AK was also built on tooling original provided by the USSR are also absolutely correct. It is just that they didn't make a big deal about it by the time other AKM types came in. Of course, the pricetag was much lower too.

Clown, even if someone here does have a pre-May 1986 FA Maadi ARM, it was not imported as such. It originally came in as a semi-auto only. Back in 1968, the US gov't banned the importation of NFA items (including FAs) for the civilian market. Just about the only registered/legal FA AKs here are those smuggled in by US vets, that were then registered during the 1968 FA amnisty. All others were first SA and then converted to FA here in the USA. Problem is gunsmiths back then usually didn't have access to the original FA FCG parts or even knowledge sometimes of how the auto stuff worked. I've heard of and seen some pretty damn guetto FA AK conversions here, that are still worth some big money simply because they were registered before May of 1986.

Clown, I can appreciate your curiosity about how AKs are viewed here in the USA. It really must be odd/interesting to someone just looking in. You've been polite and civil too, which is really awesome. For me, reading about your experiences with original military FA AKs is enlightning. Thank you for sharing your own point of view.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #49
mishaco

Owl, i assume your Maadi is a Steyr import? I ask because its usually commonly held that Intracs and PARS did not come in until 1993.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #50
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flankenstein View Post
Lol. Like they perform magically better than other akms?

I get your username at least.
If someone wants to missunderstand, they will, apparently. I meant such things as better fit and finish, better materials, better craftmanship. Huge differences between barrels basd on materials used and quality.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #51
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Had two ,both bolts shit the bed within a couple hundred rounds.
After replacing them both functioned fine and went to new owners with
full discloser on the replacement.
Unless insanely cheap will pass.
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #52
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
Had two ,both bolts shit the bed within a couple hundred rounds.
After replacing them both functioned fine and went to new owners with
full discloser on the replacement.
Unless insanely cheap will pass.
Shit the bed how? What Maadi's were they? Intracs?
Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #53
mishaco

Well, it was embarrassing but both had PF Chang's for dinner that evening.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #54
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Well, it was embarrassing but both had PF Chang's for dinner that evening.
Lol.

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-10-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #55
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
They are shitty.
You Sir are no longer my favorite Moderator. I'm with Tankboy...never had an issue with any of mine.
Martensite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #56
mishaco

I've never had an issue with condums either. Doesn't mean I prefer them.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #57
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
You Sir are no longer my favorite Moderator. I'm with Tankboy...never had an issue with any of mine.
I never said they didn't work, the are still an AKM...

Just a shitty one compared to many of other countries craftsmanship.

If you laid yours side by side with a Russian, Bulgarian, Polish built AK and looked at the machining, fit and finish you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #58
shaneakm31

AKaholic #: 170744

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
I've never had an issue with condums either. Doesn't mean I prefer them.
hahahah best post in this thread.
shaneakm31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #59
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Aside from finish, the machining quality of the parts isn’t that much better or worse. I have Polish Russian and Bulgarian aks and they really all look the same except a slightly more durable finish. Matter of fact people mistake Egyptian made sight blocks, gasblocks and other parts for Russian parts all the time. They were made on the same tooling lol. Honestly Russian or Bulgarian finish isn’t all that much better or special. People act like Arsenal’s haven’t had their fair share of canted sights or finish problems lol.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #60
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
Aside from finish, the machining quality of the parts isn’t that much better or worse. I have Polish Russian and Bulgarian aks and they really all look the same except a slightly more durable finish. Matter of fact people mistake Egyptian made sight blocks, gasblocks and other parts for Russian parts all the time. They were made on the same tooling lol. Honestly Russian or Bulgarian finish isn’t all that much better or special. People act like Arsenal’s haven’t had their fair share of canted sights or finish problems lol.
I'm not talking canted sights...

I've built around 30 AKs over the last 4 years and have owned and handled others that were factory builds...

and the most Maddis are below the older WASR for fit and finish.

Plus, I sold the Styer Maddi as a salesman. Poor gun for a $1000. when you could buy an AUG or FAL for the same basic amount.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #61
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:

I've built around 30 AKs over the last 4 years and have owned and handled others that were factory builds...

Plus, I sold the Styer Maddi as a salesman. Poor gun for a $1000. when you could buy an AUG or FAL for the same basic amount.
Cool bro, I disagree, my wasr 10/63UF I’d place below my maadi. I’m not talking about canted sights either, they all look the same lol. Whatever machining issue you’re alluring too is Insignificant because it has no bearing on their performance in comparison to other Combloc AKs.

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-11-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #62
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
..and the most Maddis are below the older WASR for fit and finish.

Plus, I sold the Styer Maddi as a salesman.
Now you're really dead to me. You can't even spell Maadi correctly.
Martensite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #63
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
Now you're really dead to me. You can't even spell Maadi correctly.
Auto correct on my cell phone.

Maddi

Maddi

Maddi

Yep.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #64
RF57
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 162727

Quote:

This has been my experience with Maddi kits as well. The machined parts looked pretty good but the stamped components were the nastiest I have ever seen.
RF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #65
mishaco

Generally speaking, the preban Steyr Maadis have better fit+finish than the others, but still they weren't amazing.
Also since they make up less than 10% of all Maadis in the USA and are super expensive, kind of difficult to use them as the standard/baseline.

Most are the Intracs, PARS, or Century MISRs...and no, MISRs weren't built from a mix of parts and all that. The MISR, MISR10, and MISR SA were all imported from Egypt.
Stop thinking all MISRs are the MISR90; seriously in 2017, do some goddamned research. I mean people carry the whole internet in their pocket now days, so yeah not exactly difficult to look this shit up.
Also, fuck you again Century for tainting an entire model name, just to make a single shitty variant.

And people who say Maadis were made with the same quality as Russian or Polish AKMs? That's just ridiculous.
Of course they work the same, pretty much every single AKM works the same...that's kind of why they are AKMs.
So the only areas left to judge them on are fit, finish, smoothness, and consistancy.

Fit - generally fine, though i've had some with their fair share of loose gas tubes, loose handguards, or loose dustcovers. Also canted parts, parts just installed at a bit of an angle, or whatever. Agreed, the machined parts are usually made fine though. On the otherhand, the welds are almost always sloppier than those found on Russian and other AKMs..sometimes majorily.
Finish - OK, its really hard to argue that Maadis have nice finish. Does it work and prevent rust? yes, but the paint is often uneven, runs, or even bubbles. Combine this with the wood. Most Maadis do not have all 3 pieces matched, sometimes not even close. The wood is perfectly useable but is sometimes rather cruedly carved too.
Smoothness - The bolt travel is average. Not as bad as some WASRs, but not as smooth as Bulgarian or Russian or Polish. But holy shit the trigger. Maadi triggers range from 'ok' to 'heavy and gritty'. Chinese AKs as well as Bulgarians beat the pants off stock factory Egyptians. Of course you can work one over and smooth it out but still.

Saying an AKM is 'better than a bad WASR' isn't exactly a ringing indorcement. Its like saying the C39v2 is better than a RAS47.

The Maadi is perfectly serviceable and can be a lot of fun. But its nothing special if one is being completely honest and objective. These things sold for $250-$300 back in the '90s and early 2000s. For that, sure, great buy.
Of course, the SAR-1 sold for the same money, and in my experience was a little bit nicer.

You can debate which is better, Romanian or Egyptian, but Russian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Polish were simply built to a higher standard and with more consistancy.

Yes the Maadi factory could turn out a nicely put together rifle, but question: for every 1 of those made, how many average or below average ones were made?
They were pretty inconsistant...not unlike WASRs were back in the day.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:10 AM   #66
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

Since there might be a lot of Maadi fans in this topic, I have a question. Why a lot of Maadis have ROMANIAN markings on the selector and rear sight?
https://pp.userapi.com/c5925/u144665...z_1ebfb870.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c5925/u144665...z_3e2f58d4.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c5925/u144665...w_e8193150.jpg
Machak_Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 AM   #67
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

They are fairly rare numbers wise as far as AKs go. That holds value obviously. Egypt has that history of being set up by the Russians with Russian tooling and advisors to make their guns. So there's that. They aren't really anything special in terms of build quality but if you're a collector of course you're gonna want a fixed stock and a side folder example to round out your collection.
As far as people state side not keeping them clean or beating them up..... I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything.
Anyone who keeps their guns in a constant state of jaggoffery is in fact a jagoff. That's not the Egyptians fault.
Do you have to have a class III license to get banana clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I take a Norinco 1911 or M14 over any of those fancy ass range toys that are made in Murcia.
^Epic Facepalm^
SuperTacOperator44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #68
frankstang

AKaholic #: 172960

I don't think you understand the situation in the U.S. when it comes to AK's. Due to our ridiculous import laws, factory barrel and receiver AK's are the exception here. We get mostly U.S. made junk or foreign parts kits built on U.S. receivers and barrels. The only widely available exceptions to this are the Romanian Draco and the Bulgarian Arsenal stuff along with the Yugo/Serbian stuff that has seen its quality questioned over the last few years.. There is also the WASR, but it is not a true reresentation of a Romanian AKM.
Anything else like the SAR, Maadi, Chinese, etc. are strictly secondary(used) market stuff.
Original barrel and receiver AK's are preferable to what is widely available on the new market. That is why the Maadi is highly prized to many AK buyers.
frankstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #69
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurallife View Post
Maadi fans are being strangely quiet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
Bottom of the barrel, right next to yugos and chinese AKs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstang View Post
I don't think you understand the situation in the U.S. when it comes to AK's. Due to our ridiculous import laws, factory barrel and receiver AK's are the exception here. We get mostly U.S. made junk or foreign parts kits built on U.S. receivers and barrels. The only widely available exceptions to this are the Romanian Draco and the Bulgarian Arsenal stuff along with the Yugo/Serbian stuff that has seen its quality questioned over the last few years.. There is also the WASR, but it is not a true reresentation of a Romanian AKM.
Anything else like the SAR, Maadi, Chinese, etc. are strictly secondary(used) market stuff.
Original barrel and receiver AK's are preferable to what is widely available on the new market. That is why the Maadi is highly prized to many AK buyers.
Yep. Supply and demand. They function fine. Just another variant to add variety to any collection.
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #70
Bubba H

AKaholic #: 184894

I've had my MISR S/A for about 18 years and have run between 4K and 5K rounds through it. It's plenty accurate. It has never malfunctioned. If that's what shitty is, then I'm ok with shitty. The gas block has a very slight cant to it, but the sights are straight. The paint job isn't perfect but it's a good deal better than what I've heard people describe it as. I wouldn't sell it for twice its monetary value.
Bubba H is online now   Reply With Quote