Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #71
Idratherbapickle

AKaholic #: 193120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyod View Post
Egyptian Maadi's are known to be upwards of 3 times more accurate than the next best AK and are constructed of a space-age alloy that is virtually indestructible. Egyptians chose to use an unappealing finish to deter enemies from picking up rifles discarded on the field of battle and, thus, learning the secrets of their superiority. That choice was wildly successful as, to date, no other AK manufacturers have come even remotely close to duplicating the superior workmanship and functionality of the mighty Egyptian Maadi.
Did they receive help from the elders beyond the stargate?
Idratherbapickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #72
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. So some laminated wood and dimples are justification for buying a low end(at best, internationally) AK? Whats wrong with polish ones? They are litterally indistinguishable from the russian ones except for markings?
You are not going to win this. They don't care if the rifle works better or not. Most of these guys are chasing authenticity. They would rather have a cleaning rod and bayonet lug vs a rifle that works well. It's a dog and pony show bro.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #73
Thunderhorse

AKaholic #: 172770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
You are not going to win this. They don't care if the rifle works better or not. Most of these guys are chasing authenticity. They would rather have a cleaning rod and bayonet lug vs a rifle that works well. It's a dog and pony show bro.
The fuck is wrong with a bayo lug?
Thunderhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #74
bondmen
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 86277

Bayonet lugs allow the operator to attach a chainsaw bayonet to his rifle and this upsets "progressives" something terribly.
bondmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #75
rudyod
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156764

Quote:
Did they receive help from the elders beyond the stargate?
Indeed they did. I commend you on your Maadi knowledge. You, sir, are worthy of Maadi ownership.

Bigfootscousin
rudyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #76
ruskiegunlover

AKaholic #: 194387

History teacher here again.....

I love having the closest thing possible to a cold war era ak. That includes bayo lug, rod, slant break. What is wrong with that? Those decrying bayo lugs.....would you prefer the awb again?

Seriously. Buying an akm without yhe lug and cleaning rod just seems stupid. Plus, both are still highly functional. Cleaning rod obviously. Adding a bayo is just fun. Nothing pisses of fudds better.

Dont get the hatred.
ruskiegunlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #77
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
They do work well though lmao. Works Well + Soviet Authenticity = Win. Who the hell buys AKs for their finish and little shit anyways. I like rugged mean looking AKs that work and thats what Maadi's are.

[IMG][/IMG]

Went with my friend and got this bad boy for only $700. Consistently made off hand hits at 50, 75, and 100 yards on head size steel plates. He's had 0 reliability problems and the fit and finish is great. Straight as an arrow and the finish is easily on par with my Arsenal 104FR.

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #78
RUSSIAN AK FAN
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176305

Quote:
They would rather have a cleaning rod and bayonet lug vs a rifle that works well.
Hey, now.

MAADIs work just as well as ANY ComBloc AK.
RUSSIAN AK FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #79
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

No problems with PARS or INTRAC Maadis, Centruy MISR had a canted barrel, rebarreled with a Romy barrel, problem solved.
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #80
Clown

AKaholic #: 191726
Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover View Post
History teacher here again.....

I love having the closest thing possible to a cold war era ak. That includes bayo lug, rod, slant break. What is wrong with that? Those decrying bayo lugs.....would you prefer the awb again?

Seriously. Buying an akm without yhe lug and cleaning rod just seems stupid. Plus, both are still highly functional. Cleaning rod obviously. Adding a bayo is just fun. Nothing pisses of fudds better.

Dont get the hatred.
And here I am, having thrown away my vleaning rod to use the Magpul furniture and Im looking at an AKSU gasblock
Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #81
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

Arsenal of Bulgaria was taught by Egypt on how to apply an exterior finish to an AK. The finish did improve somewhat.
We shall build a solid coffin!

The Sacred War
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #82
Thunderhorse

AKaholic #: 172770

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshut View Post
Arsenal of Bulgaria was taught by Egypt on how to apply an exterior finish to an AK. The finish did improve somewhat.
Arsenal's looks nicer, but Maadi's doesn't burn off.

Who really has the better finish?

Thunderhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #83
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

I love my mummy. My mummie AK that is. They all come with that scrappy look.
We shall build a solid coffin!

The Sacred War
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #84
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
The fuck is wrong with a bayo lug?
Nothing... I personally don't care, but I have zero issues with it.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #85
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyod View Post
Indeed they did. I commend you on your Maadi knowledge. You, sir, are worthy of Maadi ownership.
And I shall carry it through the streets of Napal with forthright to find unmarked cases of Boton rice candy. If I could have only gotten that damn thing two clicks to the left on Ramadan, I could be with my elders. Oh well, one more year of dying my pubis red.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #86
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Absolutely nothing wrong with the functionality of your average Maadi (non-MISR).
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #87
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
They do work well though lmao. Works Well + Soviet Authenticity = Win. Who the hell buys AKs for their finish and little shit anyways. I like rugged mean looking AKs that work and thats what Maadi's are.

[IMG][/IMG]

Went with my friend and got this bad boy for only $700. Consistently made off hand hits at 50, 75, and 100 yards on head size steel plates. He's had 0 reliability problems and the fit and finish is great. Straight as an arrow and the finish is easily on par with my Arsenal 104FR.
I'd buy it for 700 too.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #88
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Tried to go shooting today, but ended up getting rained out.
Actually did pack my Intrac ARM, but didn't get to shoot it.
Recently, I swapped the fixed wood stock for a military crutch wire side folder.
Figured why not?

I agree, the Maadi should be given a bit of wiggle room/forgiveness for things like poorly applied paint or cosmetically canted barrel hardware.
Its an AK. It is a tool. It needs to be functional, not pretty.

I have this attitude regarding all of my AKs.

Problem is, people also hold other brands/models under a microscope, such as Arsenal or Zastava.

I think everyone would be a lot happier if they just took their AKs out shooting more, and looked for flaws less.

With a few rare exceptions, all of the imported factory built AKs will run. They'll run and run and keep on running, requiring very little maintenance besides basic cleaning and decent storage conditions.

I like the Egyptian Maadi and Romanian SAR1 about equally, with just a slight edge to the SAR1.
Both are very good, middle of the road firearms when it comes to fit + finish.
Both deadnuts reliable, with the occasional cosmetic blem that made it through QC.
Both priced exactly the same in the late '90s too.
And that was Kalashnikov & Russia's whole idea with the AKM; to make an easily produced, inexpensive, reliable, tool.
Cosmetics? Asthetics? Those things are anti-revolutionary and against the People! lol

The SAR1 is a very close copy of not really the PM-63 but rather the AIM. That 's Cugir's export select-fire AKM type rifle. Unlike the PM-63, it was often sold with a traditional AKM handguard. Also, early PM-63s made for the first few years used the aKM HG too. This was before the dong was introduced.
I've seen SAR1s with both hardwood and laminated, so they seem to ahve come both ways.

The Maadi had lighter and laminated wood, made in the Soviet style but with a different color. The paint + park finish was right out of the Soviet handbook, though the Russians seemed to have taken a bit more care when applying it.

Funnily enough, while Cugir has made an entire family of rifles based around the AKM, Maadi #54 really only made the MISR with a couple different stock options.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #89
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Owl, i assume your Maadi is a Steyr import? I ask because its usually commonly held that Intracs and PARS did not come in until 1993.
I stand corrected on the year I got it. Was half asleep when I posted. Mine is an Intrac, dated 1993.

" During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #90
alphonso

AKaholic #: 180748

My 2 cents,...

Different areas in the middle east have different tastes when it comes to AK's

1- Egyptians love Chinese AK's, they even call it ( Russian 56), most Egyptians do not recognize it being Chinese, an owner will
get upset if you mention it, and will be considered as an insult.

2- Iraqis love Milled Russian and Bulgarian Ak's, local name for Russian Ak's is (presidential) and local name for the Bulgarian
is ( Circle 10 ), Bulgarian older models are highly preferred (screw in not pinned barrels).

3- Saudis and Yemenis love Polish AK's, local name (Hamdi) in reference to Yemeni president who imported them.
However, Saudis being most active on social media lately, everybody starts loving polish Ak's in the ME.

all that said, any Arab will take a milled AK over a stamped one, anyday
alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:30 AM   #91
Clown

Location: Somewhere in Europe, because people argued on my location, feel free to ask in PM if curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
My 2 cents,...

1- Egyptians love Chinese AK's, they even call it ( Russian 56), most Egyptians do not recognize it being Chinese, an owner will

2- Iraqis love Milled Russian and Bulgarian Ak's, local name for Russian Ak's is (presidential) and local name for the Bulgarian
is ( Circle 10 ), Bulgarian older models are highly preferred (screw in not pinned barrels).

3- Saudis and Yemenis love Polish AK's, local name (Hamdi) in reference to Yemeni president who imported them.
However, Saudis being most active on social media lately, everybody starts loving polish Ak's in the ME.

I have a different experience. Stamped Russian (IZH, triangle arrow)and Polish (11) and Hungarian are prized possesions in Northern Iraq. Chinese are considered cheap servicable AKs but nothing good, bulg and romy are mid tier, good but not prized. As reflected in mine, my barrel is mint, almost looked unused on my Romy AKM that I bought for a mere 700(with buddy discount). If it was Polish(11), Russian IZH or Hungarian AKMS, id been in the 1200-1500 range.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #92
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with the functionality of your average Maadi (non-MISR).
MISR-S/A and MISR-10 are fine.

MISR-90 is the dangerous, Century turd.

Quote:
My 2 cents,...

Thanks for the insight.

Just like in the U.S., gun owners will like or dislike a gun simply for where it comes from regardless of its merit.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #93
WinterWar

AKaholic #: 190784

I have Intrac ARM Maadi that I bought around 1,5yrs ago. Made a good deal, it had busted out gas tube when previous owner was trying to fit some Tapco crap to it. Changed that and got some laminate wood instead of all the plastic.

Not impressed with that rifle, it does it's job but I prefer my Wasr and of course my Valmet, therefore not shooting that Maadi that much. Actually haven't tried how accurate it is, have just been at 25yrd indoor range with it.

Have been thinking of selling that for couple of times to finance some other stuff, especially since I bought it really cheap and could make easily $300 to $400 profit. Only thing still keeping that rifle in my collection is that it sort of has an appeal to me. Not because its Intrac Maadi or made with Kal stampings but because it's made in Egypt. We never had those in Finland so it's kinda exotic for me.

Finland 100 years 12/6/2017
WinterWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #94
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

^ What year is your maadi and does it have the Y stamp?

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #95
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
My 2 cents,...

Just came across this image, do you know who these guys are? Also I see a lot of Kurds with the chicom double underfolders, what AKs do they prefer?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #96
alphonso

AKaholic #: 180748

Quote:
Just came across this image, do you know who these guys are? Also I see a lot of Kurds with the chicom double underfolders, what AKs do they prefer?

[IMG][/IMG]
Although you called us goat fuckers earlier in this conversation, I will keep it civilised....

Those are a shiite militia, backed up by Iran, holding Iranian Ak's , an unlicensed variant of the type 56, known for being of low quality and cheap price.

Regarding the kurds, they have the famous type 56-2, imported by president Jalal Talabani, and therefor called " Jalali rifle" , but it was only in limited numbers, the majority of there light arms arsenal is russian akm along with newly supplied g36 from germany.
alphonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #97
CajunK

AKaholic #: 174998

People seem to either love or hate Maadis.

The fact that they're not the nicest out there only promotes their cult following. Their rustic finish and furniture adds character to the mystique of being a true Middle Eastern rifle. Then there's the Red Dawn allure for the 80s kids.

My Intrac ARM functions flawlessly with any ammo I feed it. As my first Kalashnikov, it's one of the few rifles in my collection that I have a sentimental attachment to. The fact that the market price of nearly every Maadi iteration has increased over the years shows that they have a faithful fan base.
CajunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #98
corruptgarage

AKaholic #: 183907

Quote:
Implying you can't have both? I have a Maadi, a SAR-1 and an SGL-21 and my Maadi is my favorite in 7.62. I like authenticity as much as I do reliability, and the Maadi offers both, it's a true AKM and it always goes bang.
corruptgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #99
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Although you called us goat fuckers earlier in this conversation, I will keep it civilised....

Those are a shiite militia, backed up by Iran, holding Iranian Ak's , an unlicensed variant of the type 56, known for being of low quality and cheap price.

Regarding the kurds, they have the famous type 56-2, imported by president Jalal Talabani, and therefor called " Jalali rifle" , but it was only in limited numbers, the majority of there light arms arsenal is russian akm along with newly supplied g36 from germany.
I never directly or indirectly called anyone here that, but sorry you took offense to it, anyways thanks for the interesting info.

Last edited by Tankboy; 11-12-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #100
Clown

Quote:

The kurds have A LOT more type 56-1 and polish AKs than russian and type 56-2. Where the heck did you get this infor from? i am actually in northern Iraq right now. Russian is pretty rare around this neck of the desert, polish, bulgy, hungarian and chinese is most common, in my experience.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #101
Clown

Quote:
I never directly or indirectly called anyone here that, but sorry you took offense to it, anyways thanks for the interesting info.

Disregard anything he said about the Kurds, it’s not based in reality. M4 and M16 are more plentiful than G36, then there is anout as many HS VHS 1 as there are g36’s. Russian is pretty rare. Type 56-2 is unvommon. 56-1 is most plentiful, together with bulgy, hungarian and polish basically.

If I’d managed to take my keys when I bugged out to the nearby military base from the earthquake, I could have taken photos of one of the armories for ya
Old 11-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #102
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown View Post
Disregard anything he said about the Kurds, its not based in reality. M4 and M16 are more plentiful than G36, then there is anout as many HS VHS 1 as there are g36s. Russian is pretty rare. Type 56-2 is unvommon. 56-1 is most plentiful, together with bulgy, hungarian and polish basically.

If Id managed to take my keys when I bugged out to the nearby military base from the earthquake, I could have taken photos of one of the armories for ya
Oh ok. Yeah that'd be cool, pretty much everyone here likes seeing AKs in the wild so you should definitely take some pics. How rare are East German AKs there?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #103
spicusor
Contributor

AKaholic #: 166412

Would love to see what the newer production Chinese Type 56 AK's look like.
spicusor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #104
Clown

Quote:
Oh ok. Yeah that'd be cool, pretty much everyone here likes seeing AKs in the wild so you should definitely take some pics. How rare are East German AKs there?
Rare, as far as I’ve seen. But there maaaay, no promises, be some beart up old ones underfolders in the company armory. To which I’m not trusted with the key, but if ops show up in the morning, I’ll badger him into opening. We just got hit by a fucking earthquake, so no telling if ops shows up in the morning.

Suckk on that, I’m trusted with military armory keys(which i forgott) but not the company armory keys. Prob cause I keep stealing ammo I’m dumping at the range.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #105
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

Quote:
Last time I was in Kurdistan, there were quite a few DDR Aks, I can remember 5 or 10. I think I can try to find some pics, but that is a whole another topic.
Machak_Silver is offline   Reply With Quote