Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
Thumper5102

AKaholic #: 192215
Default Saiga sporter barrel question

Do the Saiga sporters already have the lateral cuts for the HG retainer when converted or does that need to be machined? I have a used Saiga sporter which I converted, the original owner never fired it but said he sent it off to have the barrel machined to accept the HG retainer. I’m thinking of getting another to convert, this time in .223 but couldn’t find any information or pictures showing this.

Thanks
Thumper5102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
DOS AK's
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

If it's a true sporter then probably not, none of mine had the notch. I cut the notches in myself on my Saigas. Not that hard, just takes some patience. I use a 5/32 chain saw file. Measure at least three times before you start! Make sure you are filing level and applying even pressure on the file. To help you stay straight when you start, you can tighten two radiator clamps around the barrel, leaving the space for the slot in between. Then when you are filing you can focus on staying level. Once you get going you can take the radiator clamps off. Test fit often, as you are getting close you can use a marker of some kind to color in the slot, test fit and you can see where your retainer is hitting in the slot. Just take it slow and test fit as you go. A couple swipes too many and your retainer will be loose. Most important part is to keep the file level as you are filing.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Thumper5102

AKaholic #: 192215

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOS AK's View Post
If it's a true sporter then probably not, none of mine had the notch. I cut the notches in myself on my Saigas. Not that hard, just takes some patience. I use a 5/32 chain saw file. Measure at least three times before you start! Make sure you are filing level and applying even pressure on the file. To help you stay straight when you start, you can tighten two radiator clamps around the barrel, leaving the space for the slot in between. Then when you are filing you can focus on staying level. Once you get going you can take the radiator clamps off. Test fit often, as you are getting close you can use a marker of some kind to color in the slot, test fit and you can see where your retainer is hitting in the slot. Just take it slow and test fit as you go. A couple swipes too many and your retainer will be loose. Most important part is to keep the file level as you are filing.
Thank you DOS AK for the information, it looks to be a sporter, it has the featureless look to it. (Standard traditional style stock with sporter forend.) I’ll have to try that if/when I get the thing.
Thumper5102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
DOS AK's
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 177786

Once it is getting close I change to a 7/32 chain saw file to widen it up just a bit. About 1.75 mm deep is what usually works for me. Measure and test, measure and test.