Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
gomeybear

AKaholic #: 193981
Default Rs Regulate Mount: couple of questions

Ok so I have mounted an rs regulate mount and optic mount to my wbp cg1 side rail. The models are AK-301M and AKML from rs regulate. Basically its the front biased mount version and the micro dot mount from rs regulate. So a couple of questions for you more informed folks:

1.The front biased mount was suppose to give me a lower 1/3 cowitness with the irons. I most definitely am not getting a 1/3 lower cowitness. Seems to me mounting the red dot further towards the rear trunnion would give me a better chance at any sort of cowitness with the irons. My irons are pretty well sighted in within 100 yards. What am I missing?

2. The mounting solution from rs regulate also has the option to drill and stake the optic mount part (with a provided pin) to the rail mount so you dont get any wiggle in the optic mount . This seems overkill and to me some loctite would do the trick for securing everything down pretty well. I wouldnt want to stake it given that I may want to move the system to another ak in the future and things may not line up just right on a different ak. For those with a rs regulate mounting sytem what have yall done?
gomeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
dan187
Ummm Hi?

AKaholic #: 174464

What optic are you using?
dan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
gomeybear

Primary arms advanced micro dot. Just to add there is about 1/4 of an inch space under the optic mount and top cover. Its not as flush with the top cover as some of the setups that ive seen with the RS Regulate mounting system. This is making me think that the polish wpb cg1 has a side rail that sits a little higher up on the receiver than other aks. I cant even see the rear sight when I look through the red dot, thats how high up it is.

Last edited by gomeybear; 11-16-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
KYgunner

AKaholic #: 178120

I've got the same setup on my WASR. It's a struggle to try to get a sight picture through the optic, but it doesn't bother me. The beauty of the RS is that you can take it off in half a second if you ever need to. It reliably returns to zero when you put it back on just as quickly.
KYgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
gomeybear

Did you stake your setup or just loctite it?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
KYgunner

Loctite is sufficient. It's rock solid. If you have more questions about RS, pm member Horse. Or check out the optics thread.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Ramey

AKaholic #: 185980

I have the same bottom mount but with the rear biased micro dot mount. I did not pin it as it is indeed over-kill. Locktite is fine. I do get a 1/3 cowitness as well as a larger preceived field of view.
Ramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #8
gomeybear

@ Ramey
Do you mean you have the rear biased mount and the same ak side rail as I do?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
Ramey

AKaholic #: 185980

Nope. I have it mounted on a MAK-90, which required the installation of a “AK Master Mount” since the Mak-90s do not come equipped with a side-rail.
Ramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

Side rails are all over the place unfortunately. Some rifles are higher and some lower. I have to build that into the positioning, so some end up less than ideal.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
gomeybear

Thanks for the replies.

@Horse would mounting the rear biased version perhaps give a better chance at any sort of cowitness?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #12
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

No - the optic is still at the same level.

Now - in theory closer to the eye does give you more vision through the tube. . .
Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #13
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeybear View Post

1.The front biased mount was suppose to give me a lower 1/3 cowitness with the irons. I most definitely am not getting a 1/3 lower cowitness.
I have multiple setups like this. Some offer a lower 1/4 co-witness. One might give me a lower 1/3. Others offer a lower 1/8 to no co-witness.

Quote:
Seems to me mounting the red dot further towards the rear trunnion would give me a better chance at any sort of cowitness with the irons. My irons are pretty well sighted in within 100 yards. What am I missing?
I doubt it. Unless your rail slants downward as it moves to the rear, moving it will likely make no difference.

Quote:
2. The mounting solution from rs regulate also has the option to drill and stake the optic mount part (with a provided pin) to the rail mount so you dont get any wiggle in the optic mount . This seems overkill and to me some loctite would do the trick for securing everything down pretty well. I wouldnt want to stake it given that I may want to move the system to another ak in the future and things may not line up just right on a different ak. For those with a rs regulate mounting sytem what have yall done?
None of mine have been staked and I have had zero issues. I won't do it for the reasons that you have mentioned.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #14
gomeybear

Default @AdamP123

@AdamP123

Any chance you could post a pic of the AK rail type that gives you the 1/3 cowitness? Or if its any easier which AK variant gives you the 1/3 cowitness with the rs regulate setup? I would like to potentially swap out the side rail on my atlantic built polish wbp cg1 to a rail that sits lower. Im dead set on getting some sort of cowitness, it was the main reason I went with the rs regulate system.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #15
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

They are all "identical" Arsenal SLR-107FRs.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #16
gomeybear

I suppose the only catch on swapping to the rail that the arsenals have, would be whether the location of the rear trunnion hole is in the same location on the receiver between Arsenals and the Polish CG1 Childers Model. I may have to contact Atlantic for help. Anyone know if the bulgarian rear trunnions are the same dimensionally as the polish wbp stuff? Im pretty sure the front rivet on the side mounts are in the same location between both AK variants so Id have no problem there.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #17
KYgunner

I love the RS system because you can quickly switch to irons or swap optics between rifles, but if you are dead set in cowitness, it may not be right for you. Look at ultimak or the stereo arms bravo mount. Downside to both is that you can’t quickly remove the optic.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
gomeybear

Its definitely a good system I want to stick with it. Anyone have an Arsenal side mount or for sale or know where to find one? Kvar is listing them as out of stock currently.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #19
Gunir

AKaholic #: 188055

Several years ago I set a small police department with Sig 556 classic patrol rifles. The troops immediately started screaming for dots and because they were AR guys, they were demanding co witness for whatever dots they're going to get.

So I petitioned the local government for optic and mount money and as you might expect, they approved a small pittance to that end. In the end I bought primary arms microdot IIs and the appropriate American defense QD mount.

Do you desperately need to see your Iron Sights? Hit the damn levers and slap that optic off in the grass. If you survive, you can always come back for it later.
Gunir is online now   Reply With Quote