Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #71
LXD55
Banned

AKaholic #: 177980

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAguns View Post
greek and worm, whatever guys. I don't want to argue with you. his gun blew up, it's not a conspiracy. either believe it or don't, its all good.

Yeah maybe Ridley Scott will be there the next time a rifle that doesn't fail...fails.
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #72
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

This almost sounds like sam7R87....
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #73
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

First there is no evidence the gun blew up.
There is some evidence a case failed.

OP you asked for opinions.
Don't post a catastrophic gun failure with the company's name on the title with no evidence or proof full of details on the history of the rifle and ZERO info on the guns condition after.

Do you expect anyone to believe nobody looked it over after or checked the bore or took pics of the damage?????
Nothing cleared the barrel. So either the billet is still in it or its in the round.

Again I'm not calling you a lier but I can't even tell it's a real AK.
The evidence presented could be a air soft from what is shown.

The front of the cover came up .

My first question when I saw this was compelled some one to video this one shot starting at a second before it went boom.
If someone just happens to do that to me and my gun went kaboom I'd be asking how the F!#K THEY KNEW it was going to????
WHO HAD ACESS TO THIS AMMO BEFORE IT WAS SHOT??

To be blunt a video that comes on a second before a explosion blows of a dust cover if with no movment or sound before it goes boom is suspicious.
Again is this just part of a video? ?

The guy is in a fixed position braced to fire from the moment the thing goes boom. I can't even tell if the trigger is pulled.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #74
Mr Nobody
((11))

AKaholic #: 180863

All that smoke .... Looks like something other than a round going off
Mr Nobody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #75
Gunnerboy

AKaholic #: 192418

Squib round followed by another shot. Seen it in person just exactly like that in a RPK..Both bullets launched left a ring in the bore..Top cover blew off and was warped afterward.
Gunnerboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #76
timhogan427
I eat ar15's and shit out ak's

AKaholic #: 178465

that looks to be an out of battery fire to me. or the squib theory. both are very plausible. ask him if there was a chunk of fabric missing from his undershorts after that day. events such as that cause us to clench, leaving whatever in the path vulnerable to being pinched off lol.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #77
timhogan427
I eat ar15's and shit out ak's

AKaholic #: 178465

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
First there is no evidence the gun blew up.
There is some evidence a case failed.

OP you asked for opinions.
Don't post a catastrophic gun failure with the company's name on the title with no evidence or proof full of details on the history of the rifle and ZERO info on the guns condition after.

Do you expect anyone to believe nobody looked it over after or checked the bore or took pics of the damage?????
Nothing cleared the barrel. So either the billet is still in it or its in the round.

Again I'm not calling you a lier but I can't even tell it's a real AK.
The evidence presented could be a air soft from what is shown.

The front of the cover came up .

My first question when I saw this was compelled some one to video this one shot starting at a second before it went boom.
If someone just happens to do that to me and my gun went kaboom I'd be asking how the F!#K THEY KNEW it was going to????
WHO HAD ACESS TO THIS AMMO BEFORE IT WAS SHOT??

To be blunt a video that comes on a second before a explosion blows of a dust cover if with no movment or sound before it goes boom is suspicious.
Again is this just part of a video? ?

The guy is in a fixed position braced to fire from the moment the thing goes boom. I can't even tell if the trigger is pulled.

i guess if we ever seen a video of you getting in an accident, we can all call you a liar as well. but we wouldnt be calling you a liar, we would be calling you a liar.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #78
1biggun
Curio & Relic

If there were to ever be a video of me in say car a accident it would likely be more than the very point of impact, not be so blurry that what was going on was indeterminiable and the title would not be about the failure of a brand of a car that can't be seen. It would also likely have some views of the after math not off the subject come into focus and then end.

Again I'm not accusing the OP or his buddy of any thing. Just pointing out what is and not presented.

Nothing has been answered yet as if this is a first shot .
A out of battery discharge is pretty hard with the carrier tail intact. It's not a slam fire because the gun is seen not firing before the incident. That rules out stuck firing pins.

So is there any other video prior to the incident??? Or is this it camera cane on one second before a guy was at the ready to pull the trigger and just happens to catch this one very very very rare occurance?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #79
scottyhipockets

Really unlikely this is a squib unless the guy: discharged the squib, cleared the empty case manually, chambered a new cartridge, started filming, discharged new cartridge with a stuck bullet already in bbl and boom. A squib would most likely not cycle the action.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #80
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575

Dang... I'm glad your friend is not seriously hurt..
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #81
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
Really unlikely this is a squib unless the guy: discharged the squib, cleared the empty case manually, chambered a new cartridge, started filming, discharged new cartridge with a stuck bullet already in bbl and boom. A squib would most likely not cycle the action.
All very good points and we'll said.
Could be a lot of things but with no info it's all speculation.
Sure head space could be way off.
Round could be bad, bore could be obstructed or bullet pinched in case by rust, bad round, wrong round, tampered with round,

Hopefully the OP will get some info.
Again I'm not accusing him of any thing.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #82
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Still running strong after 17 years!

My SHTF Gun, thousands of flawless rounds down range. Best $400.00 I ever spent on a Gun!

Last edited by hansellhd; 11-21-2017 at 01:44 PM.
hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #83
bulldozer1
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168284

Damn. I just ordered 3 new pairs of eyepro.
My nose is usually against the back of the dust cover.
'sic semper tyrannis'
bulldozer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #84
dan326
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169937

HansellHD,that's one good looking Yugo.
I'm not fond of the sites but I like the wood hand guards. Those definitely complete the rifle.

Yugo M70AB2 has been on my list.
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #85
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan326 View Post
HansellHD,that's one good looking Yugo.
I'm not fond of the sites but I like the wood hand guards. Those definitely complete the rifle.

Yugo M70AB2 has been on my list.
Thanks, with the Tech-Sights I can be on target FAST. Excellent for close in action (<100 yds.)

As stated above these M70AB2 AK's were not some junk Century build, they were assembled by people who understood what a quality build is all about.

Last edited by hansellhd; 11-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.
hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #86
scottyhipockets

Quote:
All very good points and we'll said.
Could be a lot of things but with no info it's all speculation.
Sure head space could be way off.
Round could be bad, bore could be obstructed or bullet pinched in case by rust, bad round, wrong round, tampered with round,

Hopefully the OP will get some info.
Again I'm not accusing him of any thing.
Yes, hopefully he shows us something. This is unrelated but do you remember the kid on akforum who was documenting his round count on a Sam7, the kid who's same rifle mysteriously blew up because a reciever lug supposedly sheared. No pictures, just a story. Texasgunsmith called his lie and the kid finally said he made up the story, rifle never blew up.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #87
expendable47

AKaholic #: 1495

HANSELLHD: this ain't a show and tell pic day thread...but damn nice yugos you got there!

Got more pics?
expendable47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #88
LXD55
Banned

AKaholic #: 177980

[IMG][/IMG]
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #89
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
Yes, hopefully he shows us something. This is unrelated but do you remember the kid on akforum who was documenting his round count on a Sam7, the kid who's same rifle mysteriously blew up because a reciever lug supposedly sheared. No pictures, just a story. Texasgunsmith called his lie and the kid finally said he made up the story, rifle never blew up.
I recall reading something about a guy claming something like that on another site and him getting called out.
I stopped going to the AK forum years ago becuase half the time I tried to log in it was screwed up.

I'm not accusing the OP of any thing. I hope there is more of that video prior to the incident. I'd really like to see some pics of the gun.
I hope he can follow up on this.

I run several 308 type conversions on m70 and RPK trunions and bolts. Those rifles are pretty strong but anything can fail and there are always defective parts in any product.

Documented failures of a 7.62 x39 AK are very rare.

Best stuff I have read was from the guy with the full auto range who posts here. We're talking thousands and thousands of full auto rounds before a failure.

A obstructed bore will destroy any rifle.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #90
semper-dissolubilis

AKaholic #: 177416

Well it looks like a failure for sure, is it catastrophic possibly?

Here are a few theories-not in any particular order of merit.
#1 Previous round was a squib and left a bullet in the bore
#2 There was some form of an obstruction in the bore which caused the bullet to lodge long enough to build up pressure to cause the case to fail.
#3 Headspace issue; assuming the round counts are accurate and if the rifle was built from a kit with an unknown number of rounds down the barrel and on the bolt it is possible that it could swallow a field reject gage.
#4 Ammunition failure or a bad specification case combined with excessive headspace.
#5 Mechanical failure (catastrophic) the weapon had a failure in and of itself.

It would be helpful to diagnose were the following were to be obtained:
1) Chain of events leading up to shot in the film-was it fired before or was this the first shot?
2) Pictures of the cartridge case from all aspect or more than likely as many of the pieces of it that can be obtained.
3) Pics of the receiver area near the front trunnion area.
4) Is there anything lodged in the bore now?
5) If there is nothing in the bore is the barrel bulged?
6) Is there unburned powder residue in the receiver?

-Just because the magazine did not blow apart means nothing; look on youtube there are a few similar failures there.
-Same as above with the top cover: The latch on the rear is designed to stay on under the pressure of a rifle grenades recoil-not a sudden liberation of high pressure gas.
-All that smoke? I have seen a few rifles fail and on some I have seen smoke pour out like that. I just had that happen somewhat recently when an SVD had a failure that I was spotting for and right next to it.

If you can obtain most or all of the above, diagnosis of the problem would be much easier to obtain. I have my theories but until more evidence can be obtained I will reserve comment.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #91
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

Quite interesting, but I was hoping for more details more than a day after the OP. If i were the poster and it were my former gun, I'd be burning with curiosity.

I can't even put a theory forth, not with the current info.

Best I can say are these are some of the factors/elements I'd be curious about....

1) The 8,000 rd count of this rifle - While AKs should be able to fire much more than this, this is enough that something could have gone seriously wrong. Its a pretty high round count, and we don't know how often it was cleaned, inspected, or had routine maintenance performed?

2) Century Arms Kit Build - This rifle was assembled from a mix of original Yugo M70AB2 and new USA made parts. For the originals, we'll never know the service history of the original rifle or what (if any) field use it saw. As for the USA made parts, the barrel was made by green mountain and the receiver could have been a couple different makers depending on when this AB2 Sport was made. Century had a few different contractors building these too. So the barrel, receiver, rivets, or barrel pin could all be worth examining.

3) Tulammo - Honestly, there's a reason this is the least expensive stuff out there. Not at all suggesting anything but its always a good idea to look into the ammo used? why not?

4) Yugo grenade launching gas block with gas feed cutoff - Just mentioning this as I've not seen it brought up yet. I wonder if something could have gone wrong with the GB? Again no theory here, just something maybe worth examining. Ditto for the recoil spring retaining pin. I would assume the gun was properly reassembled and that the pin had been pressed to let the spring and latch pop into the dustcover prior to firing? However forgetting to do this could be a very human oversight and it has happened before...

I do hope the OP gives us more info, as I'd really like to know how this all turns out. I like a good mystery but hate unsolved ones!
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #92
TrailMixNC

AKaholic #: 184323

Buddy can record and text you videos from his phone, but can't figure out how to take pics with it and text you those? Something stinks. Sheesh man, quit teasing us. What's your PayPal email address? I'll send you gas money to go out there and grab some damn pics yourself.
TrailMixNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #93
WAguns
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183147

I am just as curious as everyone else here to find out what happened here. Like I have said multiple times in this thread before, I WILL get pictures when I see this guy again in a few days, I'll even try and get some video too. I give my word.

Sorry dudes but I cant just put my life on hold to drive 3 cities over at the jump of a hat, for a forum. not to mention my friend works full time w/ a family aswell so I cannot just walk next door and take pics. It's the Holidays and people are busy.

This is all the info I know so far.
1. Tula Ammo fmj was what was used.
2. Rifle is destroyed, in his words "the gun is toast, it's blown up"
3. He was cut on the head. (nothing serious)

Like I stated in the OP, this guy is not a real "Gun Guy". he's a good guy just not as educated about firearms as most people on this forum. For example he probably doesn't know what an AK74 is, or understand that every AK isn't "Russian". So with that being said it's very possible if there was something wrong with his gun he probably wouldn't realize it... i.e. experiencing a squib or a round not fully seated and just he just pull the trigger again. That's why I couldn't get much info from him besides "it blew up in my face", He doesn't really know anything about AKs

And for the record I am not trying to bash m70ab2's at all... I like the rifles. When I owned this gun I never had any problems at all and it was as solid as a tank.

And for the people saying im hiding something or that this is a fabricated hoax, give me a break guys lol what would I have to gain from this at all? seriously?
WAguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:02 AM   #94
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

As long as you don't start saying the world is flat, personally I don't think there's anything shady with you hehehe. But I am by nature a very curious person. This story should end up quite interesting....hop so anyway. If he doesn't know the difference between an AK47/AKM and AK74, sure hope he didn't mix up 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 hehe =)
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #95
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAguns View Post
Tula Ammo fmj was what was used
My squibby senses are tingling
Old 11-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #96
Anier

AKaholic #: 182741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
My squibby senses are tingling
True. I buy Tula. It's cheap and readily available at Walmart. With every ammo I purchase,I inspect it. I opened a box of Tula and one of the bullets had a split casing.
Anier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #97
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anier View Post
True. I buy Tula. It's cheap and readily available at Walmart. With every ammo I purchase,I inspect it. I opened a box of Tula and one of the bullets had a split casing.
Definitely a good thing to practice. I have only ever heard of a few squibs, all were with Tula.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #98
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Tag for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #99
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

I've been lucky so far. I shoot almost exclusively Tula in my AK's. No problems yet with the Tula 7.62x39mm. Now their .223 ammo, I have had a few blown out primers. Not to mention their .223 is way under powered.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #100
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel64D View Post
I've been lucky so far. I shoot almost exclusively Tula in my AK's. No problems yet with the Tula 7.62x39mm. Now their .223 ammo, I have had a few blown out primers. Not to mention their .223 is way under powered.
I've been told they use a "pistol type" powder in their .223 that burns quickly. It spikes rather quickly and often gives mid-length AR's issues with short-stroking if the buffer and gas port is optimized for mil spec 5.56.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #101
Gunnerboy

AKaholic #: 192418

Quote:
If the bullet makes it past the gas port then yes it will..We had a full auto rpk at the range which did this..I think it was tula ammo if i remember right one bullet didnt make it all the way it cycled harshly but cycled and boom top cover blown off smoke and a hell of a recoil..
Gunnerboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #102
scottyhipockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerboy View Post
If the bullet makes it past the gas port then yes it will..We had a full auto rpk at the range which did this..I think it was tula ammo if i remember right one bullet didnt make it all the way it cycled harshly but cycled and boom top cover blown off smoke and a hell of a recoil..
I understand anything is possible, I just said it was unlikely. If there's enough gas to cycle the action theres probably enough gas to push the bullet out. However; I'll say again that anything is possible and am only speculating on what most likely happened.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #103
1biggun
Curio & Relic

It looks like you can see the in the white carrier in the video.
It appears to me that the carrier never moved back or again forward. To me that indicates the bullet never cleared the gas port. The is no smoke at the muzzel or gas tube/ GB vents either.

My guess / opinion is action never opened and it's a case failure of some sort. Likely a obstructed barrel or pinched round at the neck.

I have seen neglected yugo barrels so rusted up a round won't chamber.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #104
scottyhipockets

Quote:
It looks like you can see the in the white carrier in the video.
It appears to me that the carrier never moved back or again forward. To me that indicates the bullet never cleared the gas port. The is no smoke at the muzzel or gas tube/ GB vents either.

My guess / opinion is action never opened and it's a case failure of some sort. Likely a obstructed barrel or pinched round at the neck.

I have seen neglected yugo barrels so rusted up a round won't chamber.
That's my hypothesis also. Also, what do you mean by "pinched round at the neck"? Do you mean the throat is rusted/obstructed?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #105
jjjxlr8

AKaholic #: 157166

Makes me not want to shoot my Norinco 86S.
jjjxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote