Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 AM   #71
LXD55
Banned

AKaholic #: 177980

The good old days? No lie No bullshit. I could have walked to Keng. 2 miles and bought their rifles.

I am not a fan of the amd 65. Something about the something or other.
LXD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:56 AM   #72
DP

AKaholic #: 190448

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXD55 View Post
The good old days? No lie No bullshit. I could have walked to Keng. 2 miles and bought their rifles.

I am not a fan of the amd 65. Something about the something or other.
Good and I could walk to China Sport down the street to buy any Norinco AK pretty much too. Ya know when Cali was still a firearm friendly place...

To each of their own, AMD65 is not for everybody some like it some hate it...its all good..
DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 AM   #73
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
Since when do these things get cheaper? In general, the prices just slowly increase over time (as far as I can remember).
It's the market. They may come down, they may not.

Take the WASR for example. The price has fluctuated at Atlantic over the past couple years. $499, $699, $599, $529, $649, $549, and back to $649.

Generally, yes, things tend to gradually go up, but it seems AK items here of recent have fluctuated with demand. I'm thinking a stagnant market, combined with an increased supply, could drive prices down this upcoming year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
Which ones are those? RAS @ 450-475 seems to be the cheapest ive seen
AR's? PSA, Ruger, M&P 15 Sport, Aero, etc. Many entry level AR's can be had easily for less than $500 and places like PSA are basically giving AR mags away with vortex optics or ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Hear hear
It's a mistake I made with AK's, especially 5.45, back in '13. I won't miss a cheap and or pleantiful boat again if I can help it.
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #74
auskip07

AKaholic #: 194714

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

AR's? PSA, Ruger, M&P 15 Sport, Aero, etc. Many entry level AR's can be had easily for less than $500 and places like PSA are basically giving AR mags away with vortex optics or ammo.
i wouldnt even consider buying a complete ar considering how easy they are to build. you really only need 1 tool and its the AR Wrench. Assuming you have a vice. ive built complete Ar's that are just as good as the expensive ones for $560. 3-4 lb triggers with no creep. the prices are hilariously cheap now im sure i could build one in the 400's
auskip07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #75
Gaddywack
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 166488

2nd hand market is best place for AKs currently. Seems like there are always guys who bought one and decided to just stick with an AR.
Gaddywack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #76
LXD55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Good and I could walk to China Sport down the street to buy any Norinco AK pretty much too. Ya know when Cali was still a firearm friendly place...

To each of their own, AMD65 is not for everybody some like it some hate it...its all good..

I think you missed the point. Keng was the only importer of poly tech.
Like the legend.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #77
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

DP:
The only drawback with the TGIs seems to be the tiny, weak spot weld. They might be cracking from the gas pressure, based on the gun smith's suspicion.

A buddy paid a really Hefty gun smith charge to have his AMD repaired by the only qualified gun smith in this city.
I accepted this known probability when trading for my TGI (then had the repair done), but it's unfortunate.

After the weld repair it clearly is one hell of a compact rifle!

Last edited by Laufer; 11-28-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Laufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #78
bulldozer1
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168284

Some places are still open. Today is Good.
Tommorow can always be a big WTF just happened day.
'sic semper tyrannis'
bulldozer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #79
auskip07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
Some places are still open. Today is Good.
Tommorow can always be a big WTF just happened day.
perfect example is the grab a gun website that i bought my WASR from just rose the price 100 the day after i bought it
Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #80
single hook
cracker-ass cracker !

AKaholic #: 9068

I used to be more of an AK snob, having owned Hungarian,Russian, Chinese Polytechs, etc. But I've also been through a number of WASR's, both the earlier ones, and these newer ones, and I never had an issue with any of them. I think they're simply the best bang for the buck in AK's.
Sure, you can get some nicer AK's, with better fit and finish, but at the end of the day, (as i've been saying for years) if you have an AK that's straight and reliable......then you got an AK !! All the rest is just bragging rights....and less money in your pocket.
BTW, for me personally, given a similar price, the lack of chromed bore on the Yugos (not to mention the parts incompatibility) disqualifies the NPAP's and makes the WASR a no brainer.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #81
LXD55
Banned

Chrome bores were made for corrosive ammo. Do you shoot it?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #82
DP

Quote:
I think you missed the point. Keng was the only importer of poly tech.
Like the legend.
I missed what point? You were trying to make a point Keng was the only importer for Poly? Yah like you are the only one who knew that or something. Besides we didnt even care about Keng or Poly stuff here in the west coast, the Norinco stuff was just as good and cheaper too.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #83
single hook
cracker-ass cracker !

Quote:
Chrome bores were made for corrosive ammo. Do you shoot it?
Actually, chromed bores were originally made for other reasons (which are also of significant benefit the rest of us):

http://weaponsman.com/?p=12779
".....The Empire of Japan was the earliest nation to chrome the bores of its rifles. The Japanese had different reasons, perhaps, than other nations......
.....They concluded that chrome-plated mild steel could substitute for some high-speed and high-carbon steels, and from 1940 that’s what Japanese engineers did.....
....As a result, the next rifle adopted by Japan, the Type 99 Arisaka 7.7mm rifle, had a chrome-plated bore. As David Petzal writes for Field and Stream, they were “the first military barrels ever to have this feature.”
The industrial and materials-science reasoning behind Japanese chroming is missing from most US sources. Gordon Rottman (a fellow SF veteran) writes that , “the Japanese had the foresight to produce the type 99 with a chrome-plated board to prolong barrel life, ease cleaning, and protect it from tropical rust.”....."

So,as I said above, all other things being more or less equal, in a high-rate-of-fire combat type rifle, it's kinda stupid to pass on a chromed bore, if the option is there.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #84
DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
DP:
The only drawback with the TGIs seems to be the tiny, weak spot weld. They seem to crack from the gas pressure, based on the gun smith's suspicion.

A buddy paid a really Hefty gun smith charge to have his AMD repaired by the only qualified gun smith in this city.
I accepted this known probability when trading for my TGI (then had the repair done), but it's unfortunate.

After the weld repair it clearly is one hell of a compact rifle!
That is good to know, thannks for the info!!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #85
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

What's an entry AK? Like an airsoft gun?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #86
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
What's an entry AK? Like an airsoft gun?
SBR type of stuff, you know, the AK's operators use when they bust in on some hajis doin bad guy stuff. Entry weapons.
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #87
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
SBR type of stuff, you know, the AK's operators use when they bust in on some hajis doin bad guy stuff. Entry weapons.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gotchaaaaaaaa
Old 11-28-2017, 01:38 AM   #88
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

DP:

You're welcome. Apparently only one gun smith in the Memphis area is qualified, and willing to do the repair.
If a buddy has a Tig (?) welder, this could be the right type to add a correct, larger weld for a repair on an AMD.
Laufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 AM   #89
LXD55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by single hook View Post
Actually, chromed bores were originally made for other reasons (which are also of significant benefit the rest of us):

http://weaponsman.com/?p=12779
".....The Empire of Japan was the earliest nation to chrome the bores of its rifles. The Japanese had different reasons, perhaps, than other nations......
.....They concluded that chrome-plated mild steel could substitute for some high-speed and high-carbon steels, and from 1940 that’s what Japanese engineers did.....
....As a result, the next rifle adopted by Japan, the Type 99 Arisaka 7.7mm rifle, had a chrome-plated bore. As David Petzal writes for Field and Stream, they were “the first military barrels ever to have this feature.”
The industrial and materials-science reasoning behind Japanese chroming is missing from most US sources. Gordon Rottman (a fellow SF veteran) writes that , “the Japanese had the foresight to produce the type 99 with a chrome-plated board to prolong barrel life, ease cleaning, and protect it from tropical rust.”....."

So,as I said above, all other things being more or less equal, in a high-rate-of-fire combat type rifle, it's kinda stupid to pass on a chromed bore, if the option is there.
You know you are correct and right. Now lets talk about the high rate of fire battle. How many rounds out of a semi auto would that equal that
comparison?
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 AM   #90
LXD55
Banned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_rifle

The 99 Arisaka. Chrome plated bore to prolong life (ammo) ease cleaning ? protect from tropical rust (ease cleaning ?)
Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #91
AK-104
Swollen Member

AKaholic #: 162667

To answer the question posed in the thread title... 1988.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #92
auskip07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
Thanks, ill grab my Deloran and be right back .
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #93
bravo lima

AKaholic #: 187837

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
You got that right.
bravo lima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #94
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
I highly recommend a TGI import Hungarian AMD, they could could be still had for a fair price and it is stupid accurate. very light and handy as well.
That is not an import.

It is a TGI kit build using Hungarian receivers. The same receivers used by Arsenal USA/Armory USA/Global Trades before they went belly up and TGI bought their remaining stock. Which is even more ironic considering those same receivers were bought by Clearview Investments when TGI went out of business for the ATF catching them importing illegal machine guns.

Not only that:

A) FEG dropped their firearm business in 2004 right before the end of the AWB so they haven't messed with guns since.

B) Hungary never exported commercial AMD's to the U.S., only AK-63 clones.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #95
DP

Thanks for the info Scott.
Yah I got used to saying TGI "Import" cause it said that on the box, fully understand it was a kit gun that was built right here. From my understanding, it is a true Hungarian chrome lined barrel right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
That is not an import.

It is a TGI kit build using Hungarian receivers. The same receivers used by Arsenal USA/Armory USA/Global Trades before they went belly up and TGI bought their remaining stock. Which is even more ironic considering those same receivers were bought by Clearview Investments when TGI went out of business for the ATF catching them importing illegal machine guns.

Not only that:

A) FEG dropped their firearm business in 2004 right before the end of the AWB so they haven't messed with guns since.

B) Hungary never exported commercial AMD's to the U.S., only AK-63 clones.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #96
LXD55
Banned

Quote:
I missed what point? You were trying to make a point Keng was the only importer for Poly? Yah like you are the only one who knew that or something. Besides we didnt even care about Keng or Poly stuff here in the west coast, the Norinco stuff was just as good and cheaper too.
WTF dude. Ain't that the language there? All I said was the literal factory warehouse was within walking distance of my house. You guys get thick out there, does the lack of moisture dry your brain or something.

Are you smart enough to know poly/keng still sells product? Now jump as high as you can.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #97
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashaus View Post
Donít get to hung up on the choice, as long as itís an import! Get a WASR or a NPAP if that fits your budget, and get more later. Shoot your new AK clone, get proficient with it and remember its a hobby and have fun.

That Draco on the bottom. Is that the US machine side folding "brace" package? If so, how has it held up and do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one when I decide to buy a Draco.
Cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 AM   #98
DP

Quote:
WTF dude. Ain't that the language there? All I said was the literal factory warehouse was within walking distance of my house. You guys get thick out there, does the lack of moisture dry your brain or something.

Are you smart enough to know poly/keng still sells product? Now jump as high as you can.

wow calm down "dude", the factory warehouse was within distance to your house. Ok I get it.
You said you walk to Kengs and I said I could walk to China Sports. Whats wrong with our context? Are you too stupid to comprehend that?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:22 AM   #99
LXD55
Banned

Wanna swap spit?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #100
single hook
cracker-ass cracker !

Quote:
You know you are correct and right. Now lets talk about the high rate of fire battle. How many rounds out of a semi auto would that equal that comparison?
What difference does that make ? You're arguing just to be arguing now.
The fact is that a chromed bore wears longer, cleans easier, and is much more corrosion resistant, than non-chromed, and my point was simply that if given the economically-equitable option (as is pretty much the case with a WASR vs. NPAP choice), then it makes more sense to go with the chromed bore.
Now, are you going to let it go, or are you now gonna bring up the microscopic and largely irrelevant difference in the accuracy of a chromed bore?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #101
LXD55
Banned

Which cost more to produce? And you did not answer the question about what is a high rate of battle fire. As far as the chrome bore I do not care one way or the other but I do see where some try to make the argument that if you do not get the chrome bore you are messing up. Most people will never shoot out a bore and will not shoot corrosive ammo.
So why the hype?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #102
scottyhipockets

As I understand: steel cases are more likely to stick in a non-chrome plated chamber. The steel case necks don't swell as much as brass to seal off from propellant gasses. Steel does not stick as well to chrome. I don't remember where I read this so take it for what it's worth. I can say that the only stuck cases I have ever had were steel cases in a non-chrome chamber Yugo m70ab2. Cases were not ruptured and there was no evidence or likely cause for excessive pressure, they just stuck. I countered this by cleaning more often. Since then: only chrome for me.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #103
LXD55
Banned

Were they "coated" steel rounds? I read where some of the chambers would get so hot that the coatings would "melt" to the chambers.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #104
scottyhipockets

Quote:
Were they "coated" steel rounds? I read where some of the chambers would get so hot that the coatings would "melt" to the chambers.
No, they were wolf "polyformance". Back in the day guys used to worry about laquer melting, not sure if it ever was a real problem. My m70ab2 might have had a misdimensioned chamber also, I can't say anything for certain other than I had 2 stuck cases on 2 different range outings. These m70ab2's are hit or miss for fit, great finish though, overall nothing special and not worth any hype in my experience.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #105
DP

Quote:
Wanna swap spit?
Only if im on top