Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #1
blhenderson1

AKaholic #: 170872
Default Just discovered something on my SAM7SF!

I've had a SAM7SF for a while now and it's an awesome rifle. The one thing that always bugged me about it was the 2 piece cleaning rod. I can stow the long end under the barrel but didn't have anywhere for the 2nd piece to go.

I was looking at it tonight​ and noticed​ that when you fold the stock there is an empty space in the metal tubing that it is made from. I assembled the 2 piece rod and stuck it short end first into the space and unthreaded the long end of the rod. The short piece fits in snug enough not to move around but not so tight that it hurts anything. To retrieve the short end simply insert the long end into the stock, thread it into the short end and pull out complete rod. With the stock extended the rod can not come out because it is enclosed by the locking mechanism but even when it is folded I don't believe it would ever come out on its own and you could always make some type of plug if needed.
blhenderson1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Where's the opening on the stock for the rod to insert ?
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
blhenderson1

Lock the stock in the folded position and look at it from behind. There is an empty space in the metal tubing that the stock is made from. When you insert the cleaning rod into the stock slowly spin it and it should go in without having to force it or bend the cleaning rod. It almost seems like they designed it to work this way.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:34 AM   #4
TheGunMechanic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 174926

Thank you for sharing op, I just tried this (after I remembered where I even put the second piece) and it works exactly as you described.

I discovered that it can be a little tricky to remove the small end if it becomes dislodged and moves around freely in the upper portion of the stock. Mine ended up on the bottom side of the indent somehow but I was able to fish it out after some shaking.

I'll shoot it with the rod in there and see if it does any moving around inside the stock, maybe some expanding foam would keep it secure if the recoil jars it loose.
TheGunMechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Yep, it'll go in there. My only minor worry would be that during firing it might shake forward. This would stick it forward and into the henge block, and 'might' just might jam things up when you tried to fold it later. As i said, minor worry but with my luck, that's exactly what would happen to me personally lol. The damnedest things seem to find me.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
blhenderson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Yep, it'll go in there. My only minor worry would be that during firing it might shake forward. This would stick it forward and into the henge block, and 'might' just might jam things up when you tried to fold it later. As i said, minor worry but with my luck, that's exactly what would happen to me personally lol. The damnedest things seem to find me.
I'm going to see if I can make some sort of simple plug, maybe a foam ear plug would work.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Please let me know how that works out. I keep my section in the mag pouch that goes with the SAM7SF but am always interested in new little factoids.

A little pet peave of mine? When people complain that the SAM7SF doesn't come with a cleaning rod. That tells me they didn't even bother to go through the box and are just jumping to a conclusion w/o any investigation at all.

Whenever I get something new, I open the box and pull out everything; even shaking it hard when I think it is empty. Sometimes something still falls out hehe.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Whenever I get something new, I open the box and pull out everything; even shaking it hard when I think it is empty. Sometimes something still falls out hehe.
True that, today I opened what I thought was an empty box that's been on my shelf for almost 2 years, a wad of $100's came out. Yeah !
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
blhenderson1

I ended up cutting a piece of foam pipe insulation into a small rectangle and slid it into stock Infront of the opening where the cleaning rod section is being stored. It prevents the cleaning rod section from accidentally coming out and is flexible enough to push aside inorder to retrieve the shorter section with the longer section of the cleaning rod.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #10
sqhammer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 159034

Good looking out, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by like-a-ghost View Post
First, I don't believe its "legal" for your (buyer) to possess a "Folding Stock" for anything AK in the State of California without the "Verified/Current and Appropriate California Assault Weapon Registration PaperWork for a Folding Stocked AK. -Identified by Length, Style, Capable of Concealment, etc. AW Restrictions."
sqhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Distant-K

AKaholic #: 194151

Now, to find a place to store the cleaning kit...
Distant-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Allah forbid you don't have the proper tool to spit roast a pigeon over an open fire in between engagements at the range lol.
Do you have to have a class III license to get banana clips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
I take a Norinco 1911 or M14 over any of those fancy ass range toys that are made in Murcia.
^Epic Facepalm^
SuperTacOperator44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
blhenderson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant-K View Post
Now, to find a place to store the cleaning kit...
Google Kalashnikov knife pouch. It's really intended for a knife but it's the perfect size for a cleaning kit and a small rag and it attaches to your sling nicely. Best part is that it says Kalashnikov on it, almost seems like it was made for this purpose. I put them on all of my side folders. I got mine off eBay, they're pretty inexpensive and good quality.

Last edited by blhenderson1; 11-27-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
Alan_Hicks

AKaholic #: 170785

OP, would it be possible for you to post some pictures of how you got this to work? I just tried to follow your directions and I cannot get it to go. I wouldn't think there would be enough space within the tube anyway as it is folded into something of a "U" shape. My SAM7SF is one of the first ones off the assembly line. Perhaps they made some change to the stock since then?
Alan_Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
dArK 47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167665

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
Where's the opening on the stock for the rod to insert ?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA... LOL of the Night. Read each comment on this thread with the intent to turn each comment into that poster having gone "brown and upside down".

Especially ol' SuperTact there - obviously code for giving it to a dude sufferin' from the OTHER "Rhoid Rage"...
dArK 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
blhenderson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hicks View Post
OP, would it be possible for you to post some pictures of how you got this to work? I just tried to follow your directions and I cannot get it to go. I wouldn't think there would be enough space within the tube anyway as it is folded into something of a "U" shape. My SAM7SF is one of the first ones off the assembly line. Perhaps they made some change to the stock since then?
I'll try to get some pics posted, it may be a few days before I'm able to. My stock also has the "U" shape. It's kind of a snug fit but it will go in without forcing it. Try spinning it as your sliding it into the stock.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 PM   #17
blhenderson1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dArK 47 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAA... LOL of the Night. Read each comment on this thread with the intent to turn each comment into that poster having gone "brown and upside down".

Especially ol' SuperTact there - obviously code for giving it to a dude sufferin' from the OTHER "Rhoid Rage"...