Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Tophat

AKaholic #: 183033
Default Question about TWS Dogleg Railed dust cover

I have seen these around quite a lot and have seen a few youtube reviews that say they are gtg and hold zero. The one I'm talking about it is here:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...-gen3-yugo.htm

Do any of you have experience with these? Do any of you recommend it? Or should I just go with one of the RS Regulate Mounts? It would go on an M70. Thanks!
Tophat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
Wasrbuffalo

AKaholic #: 160740

I'm partial to side mounts like RS Regulate or the Arsenal Sm 13. Midwest industries also has a new Gen 2 rail out that looks interesting. I had a Gen 1 TWS that never held zero and the Chaos top cover rail system that also went loose on me. Invested in a nice side mount and I have never looked back.
Wasrbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

Side mounts are the way to go. And RS is the way to go. You can't go wrong. Pricey yes but worth it. I've tried the TWS and didn't like it. It might hold for a while but will not hold up to repeated take downs imo. The RS is super light and very strong and holds zero, I've had mine on and off at least a hundred times with no issues.
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
atxtj

AKaholic #: 164145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Side mounts are the way to go. And RS is the way to go. You can't go wrong. Pricey yes but worth it. I've tried the TWS and didn't like it. It might hold for a while but will not hold up to repeated take downs imo. The RS is super light and very strong and holds zero, I've had mine on and off at least a hundred times with no issues.

I'd agree. Unless you have a side folder (which you don't), I see no reason not to go with an RS. I had the Gen 2 TWS on my draco SBR, and never had an issue with it, however I never really trusted it either. If it had a side rail I'd have gone with the RS. I've used the TWS, Ultimak, and RS now on several rifles and the one that I always go back to is the RS. Even on my Krink, I can pop it off and right back on and it always holds zero. You won't be disappointed in that set up.
atxtj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Century made a new proprietary side mount cuz the old commie one was junk and didn't hold zero.......I actually typed that with a straight face.....

That first part was a joke by the way.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Tophat

AKaholic #: 183033

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxtj View Post
I'd agree. Unless you have a side folder (which you don't), I see no reason not to go with an RS. I had the Gen 2 TWS on my draco SBR, and never had an issue with it, however I never really trusted it either. If it had a side rail I'd have gone with the RS. I've used the TWS, Ultimak, and RS now on several rifles and the one that I always go back to is the RS. Even on my Krink, I can pop it off and right back on and it always holds zero. You won't be disappointed in that setup.
I actually do have a side folder and it folds to that side. I added it. Ace stock. It's really sweet. But that is the reason I have been looking at the TWS mount so that I don't have to take it off every time I want to fold my stock. As some of you have indicated, I just can not see how the TWS could hold zero over the long haul. The dust cover of an AK is the least solid piece so putting an optic on it makes no sense. But the reviewers all praised it so I thought I'd ask. Thanks guys!
Tophat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
atxtj

AKaholic #: 164145

My TWS did in fact hold zero, through carbine matches and all, but I never trusted it for the long haul. The RS mount can be mounted and unmounted as many times as needed and you don't need to worry about retaining zero, so even if you're running a folder, its a great way to go!
atxtj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Coburna

AKaholic #: 182150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
I have seen these around quite a lot and have seen a few youtube reviews that say they are gtg and hold zero. The one I'm talking about it is here:

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.co...-gen3-yugo.htm

Do any of you have experience with these? Do any of you recommend it? Or should I just go with one of the RS Regulate Mounts? It would go on an M70. Thanks!
I’ve had a gen 3 tws on my rh10 with a H1 micro for about a month now. I’ve had zero shift. You can take the thing off and put it back on ten times and it won’t shift in my case. It locks up really solid.

Now that being said, the metal feels weaker than normal and if dropped ten feet id say it would knock it off zero. My RH10 is not my first, second, or even third go-to rifle so I’m not worried. If it was my life defense rifle I would have to test it further than I have.
Coburna is online now   Reply With Quote