Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Tanker2000

AKaholic #: 191595
Default American AK manufacturing

I know, I know, there are 731,594 posts/threads/comments on here about why only Eastern European made stuff is the way to go. Before all you "search for it you idiot" police start whupping up on me, just give me a chance and read this...When you search there is SO much info with so many useless comments thrown in such as "American AKs suck" and tons of technical info from people on here that have forgotten more about this than I'll ever know. So, help those of us who aren't long time "AK people" understand. Please help us understand by using facts instead of "you're an idiot to buy an American made AK." I understand that cast trunnions are one of the issues that cause concern? Beyond the cost reason, why do American manufacturers go that route if they know it's an issue with buyers? What are other things American companies have done that don't work and they wouldn't change their ways? Why don't American companies make AKs in 5.45 and 5.56?
Sorry this is so long but I've been trying to figure this out and the data mass is simply to large on here. I hope some of you that know your shit will help the rest of us again with some education. Thanks!
Tanker2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

AKaholic #: 173872

American AK's suck. You're an idiot to buy an American made AK.

Because 5.45 is dead. And AR-15's.

Who is this guy?

Sorry guess I wasn't quite done...

The belief that American manufacturers can't build great AK's is one of the stupidest, most stupid (?), myths in the firearm industry. American manufacturers can build the highest quality AK's on earth.

What they, we, can not do is mass produce high quality AK's cheaply. Or even reasonably priced. It takes a shit ton of money to tool up a factory to produce anything, including rifles. Commie factories that produce AK's had their tooling up paid for by commie governments during the Cold War. Therefore 50 years later they can mass produce quality AK's FAR cheaper than any American manufacturer could ever hope to compete with. Add in the stifling regulations (environmental, safety & taxes) imposed on American manufacturers by the US govt compared to their former com-bloc counter parts & the playing field is tilted further.

I could go on but surely you get my point. Just in case you don't though, it's not a matter of can or can't. It's a matter of it doesn't make financial sense for American companies to even attempt to compete in the AK market. If it don't make dollars it don't make sense.

Last edited by Jabes0623; 12-01-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
Extra Medium
Dis Member

AKaholic #: 188133

Pretty much most American ak manufacturers cut corners to increase profit. They plaster made in USA stickers all over weapons that are made from parts cast in korea from recycled crap metal. Cast parts made of interior quality metal are more likely to fail. That is about all there is to it.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
barnbred
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164399

To do it right it would be expensive. American companies cant compete with commie arsenals that have been building them for decades with much lower costs, no environmental regulations, and financial backing of the government.

My guess is the price point would be closer to $1500 a rifle or more to "do it right" and then the customer could choose between a $1500 American AK or $550 WASR and the WASR would win the customer over 98% of the time.
barnbred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Craigan

AKaholic #: 187609

Jabe's middle paragraph says it all.
Craigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Tanker2000

AKaholic #: 191595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes0623 View Post

Who is this guy?

The belief that American manufacturers can't build great AK's is one of the stupidest, most stupid (?), myths in the firearm industry. American manufacturers can build the highest quality AK's on earth.

What they, we, can not do is mass produce high quality AK's cheaply. Or even reasonably priced. It takes a shit ton of money to tool up a factory to produce anything, including rifles. Commie factories that produce AK's had their tooling up paid for by commie governments during the Cold War. Therefore 50 years later they can mass produce quality AK's FAR cheaper than any American manufacturer could ever hope to compete with. Add in the stifling regulations (environmental, safety & taxes) imposed on American manufacturers by the US govt compared to their former com-bloc counter parts & the playing field is tilted further.

I could go on but surely you get my point. Just in case you don't though, it's not a matter of can or can't. It's a matter of it doesn't make financial sense for American companies to even attempt to compete in the AK market. If it don't make dollars it don't make sense.
Makes good sense. Thanks for the info.
Tanker2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Claymore
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186415

American AKs still have a way to go. PSA and Riley seem to be the best bet right now.

Combloc or bust for now. Or but a AR

John 14:6

DEATH TO ANTIFA!
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

They cut corners. Use inferior metallurgy. Simple. Inferior parts. They save $5 on this part, $10 on that part. Over 20,000 rifles it adds up. Simple. They are not at a level where they can produce a rifle and sell it at a $1,000 price point. Simple.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Wasr. Wasr. Wasr. Cheap romanian labor, excellent parts.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:

Who is this guy?

Actually there is a growth and a transition into producing good firearms or parts it seems.
Small companies that do not have test facilities, large order and military trials are generally in a hurry to get product to market.

Most larger companies have not embraced AK type production to any degree.

Having said that there are several things that have occurred.

Receiver production- over time the quality and players and features of the receivers has improved and today there are USA receivers that are equal to any imported or milspec receivers.

Barrel production- over time barrel production, quality and choices of fini8sh and caliber have reached a point where quality products are available.
One of the impediments is the commbloc deviations in barrel component parts which creates issues for barrel producers in terms of journal specs. The commbloc method of wide range specs in barrel journal sizes is a PITA for production.

Furniture Production- there is a fair amount of quality furniture available for installing on AK firearms

Gas pistons, FCG and muzzle devices - a good source for all these items and many muzzle devices.

There is a lacking of quality and proven performance in the primary "action" components of the trunnion, carrier and bolt.

As far as economically competitive with imports., that is another story. Time will tell.
But as example a sub $600 +/- shooter grade AR15 is readily available. It would seem an AK pattern rifle production cost could follow this path.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

PSA is a brand of AK that I am interested in - especially the billet machined trunion / machined bolt and carrier made with nitrided barrel. . PSA does out source some if not all its parts - in fact one of the component manufacturers is in Lakeland FL, the city I live in.
In actuality, if a moneyed investor put up the cash and offered investments in a plant to firearms enthusiasts (AK enthusiasts) then it could be accomplished, to mass produce. I would put up funds to invest, and actually wouldn't look for a return - just product. PSA might come closest to that ideal, but it is not mass producing - rather making runs instead of a dedicated assembly line.
Disburse-Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

complete junk
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

A American company could like make a superior AK as far as quality of parts and tolerances .
Bolts could interchange and quality control could be better.

Cost is the problem.

DDI was making a hammer forged trunion and bolt and carrier .
They had some problems with things and possably rushrd things to market a bit to soon but they were close on some things. Bolts interchanged they hat some nitrided parts and likely could have got things worked out if they had not sold out.

If they could do it then some other company could

The thing is they were not any cheaper than simular rifles that were already proven.

Guys can say want they want but it's a shame things did not work out . If they had there was plans for other caliburs including 7.62x54r.

Competition is a good thing it can keep prices down .
I can't under stand why the US company's feel compelled to copy the other 100 million rifles in the world.
Maybe a 308 winchester that are scarce. A 6.5 grendel for sure
A 223 with a AR mag would be my first choice not another 7.62x39 that offers no advantage over what's already avaliable.

I'd like to know the cost differance between making a hammer forged trunion VS the cast crap being offered by some US companies. How much would it add to the cost of a rifle?

A 5.45 dosent make a lot of sense to me but it might in a limited production as there are no real new choices in a calibur that could dissapear if Sanctions or other things happen. My opinion anyway.

A US company could increase accuracy a bit in 223 or 6.5 grendel as to be more compeaditave against AR's .
They could offer replacement parts that companies like Saiga and Vepr and the Romy imports and others dont.
Loose or damage a Saiga 308 bolt your screwed.

A US maker could offer seperate parts and kits much like the AK market and that would help as well.
DDI had plans to offer parts shame it didn't pan out but that's no reason a differant company can't.

PSA needs to improve there customer service and the flow of there products IMO.
I give up ordering AR Parts from them to much wating for this or that to come back in stock and I won't deal with customer service again.
I'm not writting them off but they can improve.
They bought out DDI do they have what ever DDI had at there disposal .

Last edited by 1biggun; 12-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

what has already been said. Combloc counties have cheap labor and decades of sunk costs into factories that aren't a factor for startups here.

as for the WASR, now that it's over $700 for a WASR again (I'm glad I picked up 2 at $535 each) it makes more sense to pay a LITTLE bit more and get a WBP or the like.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #15
Jabes0623
Safe Space Lifeguard

AKaholic #: 173872

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
But as example a sub $600 +/- shooter grade AR15 is readily available. It would seem an AK pattern rifle production cost could follow this path.
Same story just reversed. We have the ability & the long standing manufacturing base here in the US to produce AR's that are cheap yet also of reasonable quality.

IMO the low prices of AR's are also a deterrent to American AK manufacturing. It's very difficult to justify buying an AK these days, any AK, with AR prices so low. When you have Colt 6920 models (R-trooper a few weeks back) selling for less than WASR's its really a no brainer. The only real reason to buy an AK these days is simply that you want one.

It is also MO that the only thing that will ever drive American AK production to its full potential is a complete ban on AK imports. That would certainly not be something to celebrate so let us all be careful what we wish for as one day we just might get it.
Jabes0623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
Kjr

AKaholic #: 187964

The issue is cost. Yes American manufacturing can build a quality ak. The issue is that in a capitalist society it comes down to cost. In addition, the military equation also comes into play. If I am a country during the Soviet era and within their sphere of influence I will build a weapon that should theoretically hold up to combat conditions as this is the weapon that I will supply my military. While the ar can be manufactured to less than ideal specs the demand that has been in this country for the ar, more specifically quality has driven capitalism to produce a quality ar. Yes companies like io can build lower quality ar's. The point comes down to knowledge of the buyer and the ability for manufactures to build sub level products because the American buyer for the most part does not know what a quality ak is suppose to be. Obviously the exception for the most part is the files.
Kjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #17
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Some like,AK's., some like AR's both have a market.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #18
dan187
Ummm Hi?

AKaholic #: 174464

I read this somewhere, so I may word it a little wrong.

“If you sold chocolate lollipops for a buck, and dog shit on a stick for 75 cents. 9 out of 10 gun buyers would suck a turd, and get all kinds of assed up if you told them their breath stinks.”

So even if a company started making AKs here that were best in the world, your average buyer would still pick up the RAS47. Same reason people are buying Windham and Bushmaster when just a little more will get a Colt.
dan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:24 AM   #19
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

People purchase $500-$6o0 WASR's and $1000 to $1200 Arsenals etc.

The market is pretty wide on prices.

Not nearly as large at the AR market but there are AK buyers.
The main issue is the quality and reputation of the USA made AK firearms. Pretty simple explanation.
Those who do not know better purchase the IO, RAS etc.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:52 AM   #20
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

We did a little video on this subject here a few months back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieY80K7Uzxo
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #21
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

What makes an American AK suck? The thought that a bunch of Capitalists can build a Communist gun, and turn a profit.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #22
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsmart View Post
What makes an American AK suck? The thought that a bunch of Capitalists can build a Communist gun, and turn a profit.
No., it is the fact that no American company has taken the steps or product trial time to create functional and durable "action" parts which are mainly the front trunnion, bolt head and carrier.
To a lesser degree the furniture and some barrel components (FSB etc.) have also been less than adequate but are more easily remedied by the user.

As a result the durability of the USA made AK pattern firearms have proven to be less than acceptable in durability.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #23
Commiblockakspecialist
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168068

How many more AK's can the US market absorb?

Is it worth building a factory for it?

Don't think so.

The world market is covered by E European factories

Radom tried to gain a place in the US and failed
Old 12-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
No., it is the fact that no American company has taken the steps or product trial time to create functional and durable "action" parts which are mainly the front trunnion, bolt head and carrier.
To a lesser degree the furniture and some barrel components (FSB etc.) have also been less than adequate but are more easily remedied by the user.

As a result the durability of the USA made AK pattern firearms have proven to be less than acceptable in durability.
Agreed...

My comment was just being a bit sarcastic, but I do believe there's some truth to it. It just seems funny to me that us capitalists are struggling with building a communist gun.

Given the current market, the investment involved for an American company to produce an AK on par, and or an even higher quality AK, and turn a reasonable profit just can't happen. I know that an American engineering and manufacturing can build a superior AK, but there's no profit to be had in the near future. A company would need the capital to sustain itself for several years in the red before those investments even remotely started to pay off.

If the US market never had inexpensive imported AKs, I believe we would see the American AK market today to be inline with the current AR situation.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #25
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commiblockakspecialist View Post
How many more AK's can the US market absorb?

Is it worth building a factory for it?

Don't think so.

The world market is covered by E European factories

Radom tried to gain a place in the US and failed
Not their fault.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
AK-104
Swollen Member

AKaholic #: 162667

The long version is that it costs too much to produce an AK in America to the same standard as those from foreign military factories. Aside from raw materials being expensive, the design requires a lot of hands on work from human employees. That's not a big deal in a country where you give a worker a few bucks, and that's that. Here, you have to pay people $20+ dollars per hour, pay for benefits like health insurance, investment matching contributions, paid vacations, holiday pay, comp time, sick days, etc.

You also have to do all of this while contending with lawsuits if an employee hurts themselves, FMLA and work comp claims, follow OSHA and all other safety/EPA/DNR requirements, jump through all BATFE requirements, etc. This makes it impossible to build an AK of the same quality as those from foreign factories at a reasonable price.

Manufacturers know that they would have to charge $2,000.00 for a good quality AK built here, and that most buyers would rather pay $600.00 for a shit quality rifle, so that is what they build... Shit rifles.

Now, for the short version. Made in America used to mean quality. In those days, America WAS quality. People took pride in themselves, their homes, their cars, their kids, and the work they performed. Drive through America today and look around. Although there are exceptions, the people of America are not of the same standards as those from generations ago. If a person can't be expected to get a job, shave, cut their grass, etc... What makes you think they are capable of building top quality anything? America is not what it once was, and our manufactured goods reflect that for the most part.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #27
Worm
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170245

I'd buy a quality Ruger AK. But other than that, I'll stick with foreign. Everything domestic seems to be junk.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

The only way a US ak could end up in my fleet would be if it gets used by soldiers or guerrillas or something for an extended period of time and really proves its worth in the shitholes of the world.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #29
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

$2000 for a quality American AK???
Not really.
There is nothing that complicated that a US MAKER can't handel.
I can buy new Browning BAR for right at a $1000 WITH a quality barrel, good wood with good finish. Good bluing and lots of other likely more complicated parts.
The notion it would need to cost $2000 to produce and sell a quality AK is a stretch.
What does it really cost to make a forged trunion ??
Most AK'S made have a barrel that costs about $20 to make
A reciver likely costs a company about $8 to make .
The imported guns likely cost about $150 or so to make or less.

This county has been making good battle rifles for years.
M1 carbines ,garands, M14, browning machine guns 1911 pistols and every thing else not to mention see very high quality sporting rifles.
The notion that we can produce a AK copy as good or better than some mad Fuckistsan country is crap.

There is nothing that hard.
The market needs to be there. Right now it's not.

The other thing is a US AK dosent need to copy a foreign one 100% the gas block dosent need to be identical.
A US AK could have a RSB that's capable of mounting a rail and it would be a more desirable gun for a lot of shooters.

You can assemble a decent AR 15 for $350 right now in several caliburs and it will shoot accurately and accept a optic.

It's hard to sell a gun that's half as accurate often with crooked parts and a sheet metal reciver to any one but a AK fan for $1000.
I keep reading the AK is cheap and easy to build yet then I see everyone saying how hard it for a US company? ???

All it would take is a bigger company to say OK were going to make a AK and commit to doing it.

What's a Ruger mini 14 cost to build ?

Last edited by 1biggun; 12-02-2017 at 02:38 PM.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #30
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
The only real reason to buy an AK these days is simply that you want one.
It has always been like that with them even when they were cheap.

Until Obama, video games, increased activity on gun forums, and other media came along AK's were not as popular or had a high demand like they do now.

Only people in to AK's back then were AK fans and the few cheapskates who could look past the "stigma" of owning an AK.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #31
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

American companies like PSA and Riley are on the verge IMO of putting out quality AK's.
Actually Riley may so be doing that already as their latest generation have forged parts and we have yet to hear anybody who bought their latest complain.
IMO they should build 7.62x39 and 5.56 instead of 5.45.
We will have a quality American made AK offered to the masses soon enough, but sadly that sooner is gonna take a while longer
Old 12-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #32
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Sam5, Sam7-SF, Sa-RPK's and Sam Classics are all assembled in USA, I'd grab one to fend off the Zombies without hesitation.
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #33
sandiegoman

AKaholic #: 177925

Economic reasons are driving this issue. ARs have become dirt cheap. Its hard to sell people an expensive AK.
sandiegoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #34
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoman View Post
Economic reasons are driving this issue. ARs have become dirt cheap. Its hard to sell people an expensive AK.
This is a big part of the problem. WASR's are inexpensive reliable AK's that can be had for less than $650.
When one looks at AR's in that price range, you can get a decent AR for that money and thats what people have been doing.
For just $60 more one can get a Spikes ST15 LE which is considered a mid to top tier rifle.
Unless AR prices rise, AK sales will suffer even though WASR's are inexpensive.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #35
xbtgnowtytan

AKaholic #: 186611

With sub $400 AR's, and proven manufacturing techniques, coupled with already-in-place tooling to produce AR's why bother? When a lowly WASR now sells for $700 +, something is terribly wrong. The price tag for other
AK's is even more. There are a lot more Fords sold than BMW's

The AR is "America's rifle " and will remain so. It's hard for a pro AK forum to admit it, but the AR is a modern, modular, adaptable rifle that can be used by the wife, teenage child, or old fart. A lot of folks buy one "just for when the Zombies attack ", fire it a few times and closet it. In a SHTF scenario you'll be better able to find 5.56 than AK ammo. That's a fact without dispute.

As for reliability, which aint a AR's strongest point:

You can buy ( and have on hand always ) a complete AR bolt for less than $70.00 for SHTF. On a AR , 95% of failures will be with the bolt and its corresponding components . All other parts are also extremely easy to get because of the millions upon millions of AR's sold in the USA. Why bother produce a USA made AK?

So much money to be made selling AK's in countries outside of the USA also, adds to a ex-commie AK manufacturing company saying " why should we bother with the USA market? .

Of course, everyone's favorite, Century, continues to sell hundreds of
"made in the USA" , RAS47's , C39V's and have a marketing team that steamrolls the competition. With the money Century has made from sales of the RAS and C39, I guess ( for them ) it's not a bother to make a USA made AK! But Century is just a money loving, devil may care, scumbag company only interested in profit , and not for the glory of Mikhail's rifle.

An AK made in the USA with all the parameters that those here demand is already being made in North Carolina by Riley. How they sell it for less than $600.00 is a mystery, but they do, and it appears to be a good rifle. Not made in Ex-commie lands sooooo they don't get much attention here. Damned if they do, and damned if they dont.Hope they don't get discouraged.

Why bother with a USA made AK? For buyers, and manufacturers the question remains a good one.
xbtgnowtytan is offline   Reply With Quote