Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #71
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTER View Post
I think there is another thing people forget that the demand for AK'S is very small in the US compared to other firearms. A majority of firearms owners in the US believe the AK is nothing more than an ugly, inaccurate, terrorist POS. IMO if the demand was there you would see American company's build them. But with combloc AK'S like the wasr10 being able to be had for 600 it makes no sense to invest into building them. Even if a ban on imports were to happen I dought there would American firearms company's jumping into the AK building market. AK enthusiasts need to remember that tho we appreciate the AK for what it is in America the AR is king and will always be. You have a good point on the 5.56 AK tho that I share, dumped my 74 and went 106fr and don't red ret my decision in any way.
P, you make a very valid point, alot of American gun owners dislike AK's for one reason or another. Sales of AK's compared to AR's would be pathetic.
About half the guys in our little gun club refuse to own a AK for the very reasons you posted. Good news is that some guys can have their attitude changed once they actually get a chance to play around with a AK. Thats what happened with a few from our group once they handled and shot my Chicom. Hell, even though i have owned AK's off and on since the late 80s, i never really liked them up until a few years ago. Before i even owned a AR i owned a type 56 and actually sold it so i could by my first AR back in 1990 which i still own to this day, a HBAR AR15A2 20".
I was then minus any AK until 95 when i picked up my milled MAK90. It just sat in the back of the safe until 4 years back.
Im glad i took a interest in it that one day when i decided to take it target shooting.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #72
camaro1509
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 147889

I think it depends it has its limitations I havenít been around Last 2-3 years then everything has changed now at-15s are so low itís hard say but I think ammo will drop and with tons m43 why canít we get some cheap . I been wanting a m14 or g3 , every wasr I had the rails was warped
camaro1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #73
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
P, you make a very valid point, alot of American gun owners dislike AK's for one reason or another. Sales of AK's compared to AR's would be pathetic.
About half the guys in our little gun club refuse to own a AK for the very reasons you posted. Good news is that some guys can have their attitude changed once they actually get a chance to play around with a AK. Thats what happened with a few from our group once they handled and shot my Chicom.
Being honest I got into the AK about 4 years ago once my appreciation of quality firearms started. Before then I wouldn't own one for the reasons I stated. Your correct that some opinions can be changed, but there are far more Americans that will never have a desire to own one. The prices AKs are selling for right now will not last when you can have a well built AR for less. And it seems that the price market for ARs should be here for a while.
PORTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #74
rbox1064
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Being honest I got into the AK about 4 years ago once my appreciation of quality firearms started. Before then I wouldn't own one for the reasons I stated. Your correct that some opinions can be changed, but there are far more Americans that will never have a desire to own one. The prices AKs are selling for right now will not last when you can have a well built AR for less. And it seems that the price market for ARs should be here for a while.
I go to my local club and the WMA Range and see literally nobody with an AK. I was guilty of striking up conversations with gun enthusiasts who I assumed would be literate in AK's only to be met with dumb stares. AK owners are a very small minority of all gun owners in the US.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #75
simpletrader

AKaholic #: 186129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsmart View Post
What makes an American AK suck? The thought that a bunch of Capitalists can build a Communist gun, and turn a profit.
many here including myself would gladly pay for 1200$ for a quality made to spec ak-74 or akm clone from a u.s maker but we are a small minority, companies like i.o and century sell to bubba who is stuck in 1993 and thinks aks are "cheap cummie gunz" and refuses to pay over 600$ for one but gladly spends 2 grand on a ar, sadly this is the majority, also these people never shoot more than 300 rounds a year so their shitury tRASh-47 last for a while before it explodes.

simpletrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #76
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

Just because I want to say I own a quality AK that was manufactured in the USA, I was a huge supporter of DDI.

To say they let me down and the debacle that ensued after their demise really crushed my hope that a quality American made AK can be made.

Time will tell.

I keep watched the Riley Defense threads. Maybe, just maybe their is still a faint ember of hope that a quality US made AK is a possibility.

But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited by Dezfan; 12-04-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 AM   #77
WVNed

AKaholic #: 194369

C39v2 MOE
$699 with a $100 rebate

Polish AK Bolt *Brand New Production* Fits most AK & AKM-47's & fully machined $79.95
WBP Polish AK47 Bolt Carrier *brand new production fully machined w/ black oxide finish* Full Auto or Semi Auto w/ gas piston ON SALE! 1 $89.95
Subtotal: $169.90
Shipping & Handling: $10.55
Tax: $0.00

Order Total: $180.45

Milled AK with zero problems

$780

If you have lemons make lemonade.
WVNed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #78
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNed View Post
C39v2 MOE
$699 with a $100 rebate

Polish AK Bolt *Brand New Production* Fits most AK & AKM-47's & fully machined $79.95
WBP Polish AK47 Bolt Carrier *brand new production fully machined w/ black oxide finish* Full Auto or Semi Auto w/ gas piston ON SALE! 1 $89.95

$780

Not all American lol
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #79
WVNed

It's OK. I have gotten a lot of use out of stuff other people have thrown away over the years.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #80
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

Quote:
C39v2 MOE
$699 with a $100 rebate

$780

Still a turd, no matter how much polishing you do.

I want a QUALITY US made AK.

Last edited by Dezfan; 12-04-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:27 AM   #81
WVNed

I want a rifle that works for as little as possible. I got one.

I have been on a roll recently. I got a 320rx that is at SIG getting fixed. An M&P Shield that the slide lock actually locked the slide. I fixed that in the garage. I got a C39v2 in that magic period where they were thought to be OK. My bolt went bad in under 400 rounds. Saved by the internet.
My new Ruger GP-100 has been flawless.

Buy revolvers. Everything else sucks

WOOHOO
Sig Sauer Inc. is pleased to inform you that the following shipment left the factory today and will arrive at your place soon.

Last edited by WVNed; 12-04-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 AM   #82
DevJames

AKaholic #: 193787

Quote:
I want a rifle that works for as little as possible. I got one.

I have been on a roll recently. I got a 320rx that is at SIG getting fixed. An M&P Shield that the slide lock actually locked the slide. I fixed that in the garage. I got a C39v2 in that magic period where they were thought to be OK. My bolt went bad in under 400 rounds. Saved by the internet.
My new Ruger GP-100 has been flawless.

Buy revolvers. Everything else sucks

WOOHOO
Sig Sauer Inc. is pleased to inform you that the following shipment left the factory today and will arrive at your place soon.
It's pretty seldom you see a GP that's screwed up. It's usually the result of something very stupid happening. Or just an accidental double charge.
DevJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #83
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

Quote:
C39v2 MOE
$699 with a $100 rebate

$780

Rob Ski had chips coming out of one of the locking lugs on his C39V2. There's been a lot of talk that those are machined out of inferior imported steel. if the receiver is chipping from a soft bolt, then that think would explode with a properly made bolt.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #84
PORTER
Been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
I go to my local club and the WMA Range and see literally nobody with an AK. I was guilty of striking up conversations with gun enthusiasts who I assumed would be literate in AK's only to be met with dumb stares. AK owners are a very small minority of all gun owners in the US.
Same around my local gun ranges etc. IF/when I goto the local ranges I hardly ever see anybody with an AK, usually if I see anybody with one its in the backwoods areas I go to. I have all the AKs I need and wont be buying anymore till prices come way down where they should be, its the time to buy ARs and ammo to feed my firearms because of the cost.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #85
WVNed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsmart View Post
Rob Ski had chips coming out of one of the locking lugs on his C39V2. There's been a lot of talk that those are machined out of inferior imported steel. if the receiver is chipping from a soft bolt, then that think would explode with a properly made bolt.
I saw that. Mine isn't doing that. There is no erosion on the end of the side rail either.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #86
s10nova

AKaholic #: 163662

This thread reminded me of my buddy who is into guns....well AR's....he "wants" an AK but since he ever said he wanted one..he has built like 2 AR's in 7.62x39...now he is not using top notch components(in my opinion )...more like...Hardened Arms....Radical....etc....but my point I guess as to cost with some buyers ....he knows he can spend $50 out of every pay check basically on a part here or their to build and assmeble an AR..and that's probably more attractive to him and thousands others than all of a sudden plopping down $600++ for an AK...
I don't help matters much for him...telling him to stray from US AK's...and find something imported...a WASR...etc...they've been building AK"s for decades compared to any US manufacturer..
Also he doesn't know much at all about AK's since he doesn't have one...kinda like me at first..
When I first got my M10...I didn't realize the differences in AK's...Combloc manufacturing companies...etc..
When u acquiring something new you usually get it for whatever reason...then get online and research it more and become more.engrossed with it...at least that's what happened with me...
s10nova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #87
scottyhipockets

AKaholic #: 183252

Quote:
C39v2 MOE
$699 with a $100 rebate

$780

Wrong dude. C39 has a cast receiver, completely different animal than the real deal.
scottyhipockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #88
simpletrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhipockets View Post
Wrong dude. C39 has a cast receiver, completely different animal than the real deal.
yep cast in Korea or India with god knows what steel than shipped here and machined to finish
Old 12-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #89
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
wont be buying anymore till prices come way down where they should be, its the time to buy ARs and ammo to feed my firearms because of the cost.
So pray tell where should AK prices be?

You do know inflation is a thing right? That $300-$400 in 1980's money is $600-$700 in 2017 today which is what your average WASR is going for with NPAP's going for less.

You say you got your AK's for less back in the 1990's? Great, that was the 1990's. Same situation applies.

Not only that you are ignoring demand which is a thing. You even mentioned in your circles how unpopular AK's are, imagine how much even less popular they were back then. They were cheap back then cause no one wanted them even up until 10 years ago.

Thanks to the internet, Obama, gun forums, video games, etc. the AK demand has gone up significantly coupled with sanctions and bans that will never go away reflects the current price and value(which for a WASR is the same as what a Chinese AK was going for in the 1980's value wise).

Your less than $300 AK prices are never coming back even if all the sanctions and bans went away.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #90
scottyhipockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletrader View Post
yep cast in Korea or India with god knows what steel than shipped here and machined to finish
I feel bad for any noob that falls for the century "milled receiver" lie. Not sure why anyone would spend a dime on polish parts for these when they could sell them and move on. People tell themselves whatever they want to hear...
Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #91
scottyhipockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post

You do know inflation is a thing right? That $300-$400 in 1980's money is $600-$700 in 2017 today which is what your average WASR is going for with NPAP's going for less.

You say you got your AK's for less back in the 1990's? Great, that was the 1990's. Same situation applies.

Not only that you are ignoring demand which is a thing. You even mentioned in your circles how unpopular AK's are, imagine how much even less popular they were back then. They were cheap back then cause no one wanted them even up until 10 years ago.

Thanks to the internet, Obama, gun forums, video games, etc. the AK demand has gone up significantly coupled with sanctions and bans that will never go away reflects the current price and value(which for a WASR is the same as what a Chinese AK was going for in the 1980's value wise).

Your less than $300 AK prices are never coming back even if all the sanctions and bans went away.
AWB and 911 started this, Obama was just in the right place at the right time.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #92
WVNed

Quote:
I feel bad for any noob that falls for the century "milled receiver" lie. Not sure why anyone would spend a dime on polish parts for these when they could sell them and move on. People tell themselves whatever they want to hear...
They do indeed.

LOL

"These AKs are good. Those Aks are junk."

next month

"No those Aks are junk buy these other AKs."
Old 12-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #93
simpletrader

Quote:
also the whole "american made" thing is a scam as well, it's american assembled with Asian parts , if you are going to buy a american assembled gun why not just get a builder to build one for you out of a parts kit
Old 12-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #94
scottyhipockets

Quote:
They do indeed.

LOL

"These AKs are good. Those Aks are junk."

next month

"No those Aks are junk buy these other AKs."
Lemons into lemonade or shit into shit.... I suspect you know but will cling to your C39 out of pride.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #95
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Scott, im not Porter and you are 1000 X more knowledgeable with AKs than i am.
What i believe hes saying is prices like Arsenal for example.
Arsenal's have the same shitty fit and finish, cant this and that and so on yet cost $100's more than the $600 WASR with the same issues.
One thing that pisses off many including those thinking about getting a AK is the famous poor workmanship on those rifles. Its stopped me from ordering online as the one Arsenal i did order came in fucked up and had canted sights.
Most peeps who pay $1000 plus for a rifle are not gonna deal with a piss poor finish and canted sights, gas blocks and so on.
IMO with the AK's lack of popularity when compared to the AR, the AK in general should never cost more than $850 or so unless its milled and upgraded.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #96
PORTER
Been there done that.

Quote:

Not sure if inflation plays a part here but I definitely understand where you going with it.. Fact is the price on ARs has come down atleast 200 on entry level ARs, and even more on the mid to high name brands. I wouldn't count on 300 dollar AKs ever again but to believe that prices could get to the low 500s on new wasr10s are not out of the realm due to what were seeing in the AR world. Fact is the AK is much cheaper to make and if there not selling very well due to people investing in other rifles at some point prices will come down how low who knows. I am seeing it in the used market as I routinely see wasr10s for 450 used where 6-8 months ago used were over 650. I didn't get into Aks till about 4 years ago so I paid a premium for my Arsenals but it is what it is. I bet prices will slowly fall and already have since the Don took office but that's my opinion. Well see.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #97
PORTER
Been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Scott, im not Porter and you are 1000 X more knowledgeable with AKs than i am.
What i believe hes saying is prices like Arsenal for example.
Arsenal's have the same shitty fit and finish, cant this and that and so on yet cost $100's more than the $600 WASR with the same issues.
One thing that pisses off many including those thinking about getting a AK is the famous poor workmanship on those rifles. Its stopped me from ordering online as the one Arsenal i did order came in fucked up and had canted sights.
Most peeps who pay $1000 plus for a rifle are not gonna deal with a piss poor finish and canted sights, gas blocks and so on.
IMO with the AK's lack of popularity when compared to the AR, the AK in general should never cost more than $850 or so unless its milled and upgraded.
Completely Agree 4mula, pretty much exactly what I was saying.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #98
WVNed

Quote:
Lemons into lemonade or shit into shit.... I suspect you know but will cling to your C39 out of pride.
I will hold onto it because It is a very nice rifle and I have 1200 rounds through it, 700 since I changed the bolt with zero problems.
I see no reason not to keep it. If it blows up and kills me I will have my wife let you know.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #99
scottyhipockets

Quote:
I will hold onto it because It is a very nice rifle and I have 1200 rounds through it, 700 since I changed the bolt with zero problems.
I see no reason not to keep it. If it blows up and kills me I will have my wife let you know.
You gotta know when to fold em Ned. The simple fact is that you got suckered by century's lie/marketing and are convincing yourself that you got a sweet deal on a milled rifle. I have made a lot of bad money decisions and it is much better to just call a spade a spade, move on and not make the mistake again. Who in the world would buy a C39 when you could get a new wasr for 600, a used arsenal sam7 for 1k, a new 6920 for 900 etc... There is a lot of nice stuff available right now.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #100
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Quote:

You could buy a Romy about 2010 for about $300 or less Saigas were cheap then also

Things did not double on these or triple in 7 years I may be a bit off on the date but it wasent that long ago . I paid $175 for a new buy no box Saiga 410 some time around 2010 or so at a gun shop. I should find the receipt.
It was marked down due to no box I remember thinking I saved $50

Inflation may have raised the prices some but its the other stuff you mentioned that raised prices . Shootings, barrel bans on kits , , sanctions and FEAR have driven the prices up mostly . The AK is enjoying a surge from the Preppers and others who think there going to be in a Battle situation or at least like talking about it . There trendy right now but there is a limit to how many guys will spend a grand on a rifle with a $20 barrel and a $5 receiver . Out side the internet most guys can care less about a AK .

There is not a ton of them being brought in any more and that made the supply scarce . There are no cheap kits to for company's here to build to keep importers and distributors honest .
Its pretty hard to get $1000 for a rifle when before the parts could be had for $100 . now that the Internet has shown every tom dick and harry how to build and companys sell the tools to do it and flat bending id almost a lost art kits are sought after . 15 years ago you could barely give them away . I was seeing AK kits for $50 in about 2003 with barrels intact .
no way was a guy going to buy a WASR for $700 back then or even $350 .

Out side the internet most shooters care little about the AK .
the factory ammo most commonly seen makes most AKs a 3 or 4 inch rifle.
Most guys if they have to spend more for ammo that the good stuff cost will go to a 308 rifle in some that is more accurate and likely cheaper now .
Face it you can have a AR 10 tyoe rifle in 308 that will shot 1" easy all day long with basic brass ammo for less than a WASR right now and if you buy good 7.62x39 the shooting cost is about the same .

Im sorry but if I have $700 to spend and I remotely care about accuracy and want some more range and I see a POS WASR with rough finish crooked sights needing a optic mount and will be 1.5" on a good day with good ammo or a AR 10 type that is more accurate and has a much more effective range at about the same weight and 1" capable ammo is the same or less and its ready to take a optic and has about a million aftermarket dodads to buy as well as available spare parts Id have to choose the AR 10 .
now factor in a AR 15 can be built for half the cost and who is lining up to buy a AK 47 for $700 on up ?????? Very few .

I love the AK and I know what I can do with the parts .
But this year and last my $$$$$$ has been going to AR parts in both 15's and 10's and I'm far form the only one .
I have a second AR 10 ready to finsh out . I wont have $450 in it took a lot of careful shopping and its a cheap barrel but I bet it will still be as accurate as a WASR and it will shoot effectively a lot further .

I have a very expensive pile of AK parts sitting here on hold for when AR parts go back up until then Im buying the deals today .

If restrictions lift and we see more AKs coming in the prices will drop some.
I think the AK should be about $425 for a basic WASR .
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #101
4mula
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
But this year and last my $$$$$$ has been going to AR parts in both 15's and 10's and I'm far form the only one .
Ive been doing the same myself. I just picked up 3 Spikes ST15-LE's @ $725 shipped.
Im personally not into playing lego's with AR's so i buy complete rifles.
I do buy aftermarket parts such as extended charge handles, nitrated gas tubes, drop in quad rails and so on.
My latest thing is to equip all my rifles with optics.
Optic prices have been coming down but all to slow.
I would love to own some ACOG's but i refuse to pay the price of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
Out side the internet most shooters care little about the AK .
Amen to above.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #102
Tankboy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183589

Screw all you AR ppl. Effin traitors.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #103
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

why can't people like both?
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #104
simpletrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
Screw all you AR ppl. Effin traitors.
it's not that i hate the ar but it's fanboys have ruined it for me. ar fanboys seem to be the most rude and trashy people they can be, almost like if you prefer something other than their gun then fuck you, a lot of them don't know what a quality ar build is either and think their dmps oracle is the same as a bcm
Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #105
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

Amen to that. I like the AR15 just fine. In fact, I grew up shooting my dad's Colt SP1. I didn't get to shoot an AK until I was at least 10.

Thing is, I enjoy collecting semi versions of military issue type guns....goes back to that whole love of history thing.
So for the AR15, I could do an early 601/602, M16A1, M16A2, XM177 or GAU-5, M4 and M4A1 (SOCOM style), M16A4, and some less common things like the USMC 9mm SMG and MK18 Mod 0.
That's a few different models and types, but then look at the AK....each nation that built it, built several variants and subvariants.

The result is today I have 7 or 8 ARs and feel like I have pretty much all the big bases covered.
AKs though? I have 35-36 of them and am still lacking many key models.

The AK is just more interesting from a collecting stand point with so many flavors.

This is also why I like the FAL so much. Dozens of distinct variants with it too.

In my mind, a good AR15 is better for a SHTF situation.
It is lighter, more comfortable/ergonomic, easier to effectively mount an optic onto, easier and cheaper to find spare parts, easier and cheaper magazines, very common and lightweight cartridge, and in my experience a good AR15 is every bit as reliable as a good AK.

Worried about your AR's bolt breaking? Then don't buy shitty parts. Spend the extra money for one that has been MP tested and there's a great chance it will out last you. How many SP1 or LE6920 bolts have you heard of failing?

This year, there have been 2 US companies that I like how they are building their AKs....Atlantic Firearms and Legion USA. Both are using good quality parts and putting them together with a lot of thought & care.
Also both use a good number of foreign parts, especially the trunnions and bolt groups.

At this time, i see no reason for a 100% USA made AK. Foreign parts are still available at reasonable prices. Why reinvent the wheel?
Import the parts we can, and those we can't; those we do our best to make here.

But if someone wants to buy a C39v2 or RAS47, that's cool. That decision in no way effects me or can hurt me, so its just fine.
If it breaks, it breaks. If it works, it works.
Every company; foreign or domestic can turn out a lemon, and likwise most can make a good rifle.

I don't understand why some people seem to get truely angry over how a stranger decides to spend their hard earned money?
That goes for Arsenal and Century bashers both.

I buy imports or guns built from parts kits. I've given my reasons.
Other people have different reasons and look for different things in what they buy. We're not enemies just because we view the world a bit differently.

As long as they are Pro-2nd and all that, its all good.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote