Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 12-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202
Default I agree

The NPAP has been given a bad rap, is it really that bad? I don't think so.
I still think it's the best bargain AK in the U.S. Market place bar none.

NPAP owners chime in.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

I have a npap uf with a serial #under 50 and it runs like a champ. I trust it enough to be my truck gun.
hamdizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

The new ones I wouldn't hesitate to pick up, the early ones weren't the best quality but you can tell Zastava has changed some things since then, also a very pretty rifle in person.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
craigntx
team ftp

AKaholic #: 45512

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdizle View Post
I have a npap uf with a serial #under 50 and it runs like a champ. I trust it enough to be my truck gun.
In other words the one most likely to be stolen, you choose that one.
Good choice
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
fgw_in_fla
Up Your Nose With a Rubber Hose
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 165386

Got 4 of 'em.
Not a single problem with any of them. Any brand or type of ammo.

No complaints at all except for the underfolder.
I hate it.

It would be useful if I wanted to tie a piece of rope to hide it under my trench coat to maybe stick up a 7-11 or something along those lines.
Not that I plan on pulling a stick up, mind you.
It's got to be the most uncomfortable AK I have ever fired. We just don't get along.

Best shooting Yugo I have.
Accurate, fit up tightly, underfold stock so tight I have to use my knee to open it, beeeyoootiful rifle.

Just don't like it as much as the wood stocked version.

That aside, love 'em.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

It's been a good gun, I do like my M70AB2 more though.
nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
The new ones I wouldn't hesitate to pick up, the early ones weren't the best quality but you can tell Zastava has changed some things since then, also a very pretty rifle in person.
Care to share your observation on what changed?

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadScorpius View Post
Care to share your observation on what changed?
On the surface really just better fit and finish and straightness, actions felt much smoother to me anyway, the two early samples I saw consisted of one having egged out receiver holes and the other not cycling correctly, which may have been related to the bolt and carrier or the gas block or port size, but the gun was straight spotty on running with any ammo or magazine.

The newer ones I have shot a little and handled have felt much better cycling and have had some rounds through them without any reports of issues, on here I haven't heard anything negative about the NPAP and it did pass rob's second test.

I know it's technically the same but when I pick it up it feels so much better than the old ones, maybe a little heavier? IDK but it seems like it is a fantastic starter AK and Zastava has worked the kinks out, which was about the time they started introducing the M77 and the M90 and M85, so those three being as good as they were they had to step it up I guess and they seem to have done so since then and kept it up. I only Lament they don't send more stuff now, it seems like we get runs of stuff like Romania for instance, and then it just dwindles.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
SAIGA 5.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
Got 4 of 'em.
Not a single problem with any of them. Any brand or type of ammo.

No complaints at all except for the underfolder.
I hate it.

It would be useful if I wanted to tie a piece of rope to hide it under my trench coat to maybe stick up a 7-11 or something along those lines.
Not that I plan on pulling a stick up, mind you.
It's got to be the most uncomfortable AK I have ever fired. We just don't get along.

Best shooting Yugo I have.
Accurate, fit up tightly, underfold stock so tight I have to use my knee to open it, beeeyoootiful rifle.

Just don't like it as much as the wood stocked version.

That aside, love 'em.
I never got along with underfolders either, it's more of a nostalgia thing for me with that stock than anything, it looks cool and functions like shit. They make stock adapters.

The OPAP I shot was notorious for cheek slap, and I mean like bitch slap. After a couple I felt like someone had taken a swing on me and connected.

Beautiful gun though, second only to the SAM7R
Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #11
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Cheek slap with the factory stock was doable but uncomfortable/unenjoyable. The Ace with the folding adapter was a worthy upgrade.

I like the Yugo underfolders. Some underfolders bring the stock straight back so it locks horizontally in line with the bore axis of the gun which is for me the best method. Others like arsenals which don't never seem to shoulder right for me.

nofreetime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Robs tests proves the durability of the weapons and thats a good thing.
Problem is his tests are not that realistic for 99.99% of gun owners as they will never flog their weapons like he does. Changes are most owners wont even come close to popping off 5k rounds in their lifetime.
Im not saying Serb AK's are good or bad, but one need to take into context how much actual usage he will get from it. Should owners shoot 500 rounds a year, the rifle most likely will last a lifetime is my guess.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
Il Cattivo

AKaholic #: 180088

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
Good choice
Would any gun not get stolen if a creep got the opportunity?
Il Cattivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
fgw_in_fla
Up Your Nose With a Rubber Hose
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 165386

[QUOTE=SAIGA 5.45;4356706]I never got along with underfolders either, it's more of a nostalgia thing for me with that stock than anything, it looks cool and functions like shit. They make stock adapters.

The OPAP I shot was notorious for cheek slap, and I mean like bitch slap. After a couple I felt like someone had taken a swing on me and connected.

Beautiful gun though, second only to the SAM7R[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've considered trading it or selling it for something else but it's nice having at least one just so I can say I have one.

If I have to run into the shit and could grab only one rifle, the UF would NOT be it.
Sucks kinda.
It's so damn accurate and shoots real tight groups at 50yds with iron sights.

Unless I stumble upon the deal of the century, it'll be my least favorite rifle and something to play show & tell with when I have friends over.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Love all my Npaps. May not be the best but they are far from being the worst.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #16
ArtGuy

AKaholic #: 190991

I've shot the underfolder, the rifle, as well as the pistol and feel all are excellent guns. Day in and day out I feel they're the best buy going. I've owned my own firearms for 55 plus years and shot longer then that but I'm not an expert by any means.
ArtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #17
hamdizle

AKaholic #: 78202

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
Good choice
For the $550 I paid for it....yes.
hamdizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #18
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

I am thinking on something. Could there have been a bad or at least less than perfect batch of receivers from 2013?

Before that, the semi auto PAP came with a 1.5mm rec. This includes the original EAA and the Gen 1 CAI guns.

In 2013, they introduced the N-PAP and M92PV; both with a new pattern of semi 1.0mm receiver. These would have been the first.

So I am wondering, of the reported cases of soft receivers and/or egging FCG pin holes, what percentage are from 2013 and the first couple import batches?

I am not drawing any conclusions yet, only posing a question.

Hmmmm, my first NPAP-DF was from late 2013 but wasn't from the first batch CAI sold. It was from the third or forth if I am remembering right.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
csphar54r

AKaholic #: 180923

Ok I'll be the first. My 2013 m92 is egging the holes. No i can't post pics. Bought it in Prescott from J&G around spring 2013. Been bump firing it since then heavily. I still think 1mm Paps are worth the money imo.
csphar54r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #20
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Love all my Npaps. May not be the best but they are far from being the worst.
Mine has been excellent so far for 1500 rounds.

I don't beat it up though; and it gets cleaned and lubed after every range trip.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
WVKalashnikov

AKaholic #: 188934

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
I am thinking on something. Could there have been a bad or at least less than perfect batch of receivers from 2013?

Before that, the semi auto PAP came with a 1.5mm rec. This includes the original EAA and the Gen 1 CAI guns.

In 2013, they introduced the N-PAP and M92PV; both with a new pattern of semi 1.0mm receiver. These would have been the first.

So I am wondering, of the reported cases of soft receivers and/or egging FCG pin holes, what percentage are from 2013 and the first couple import batches?
I remember a while back, maybe a year ago, Apex was offering de-milled N-PAP parts kits with the receivers torch cut. They would of had no reason to de-mill a N-PAP to get it into the country unlike a military M70 parts kit which has to be de-milled first.

The only reason I could think of is they had a certain batch of rifles that they either hardness tested or knew the receivers were questionable and they were torch cut and turned into parts kits. You wouldn't cut up a rifle unless there was something wrong with it. All the other parts are good, just the receivers were cut up. It would be interesting to know why these specific N-PAPs were cut up into kits. They still have de-milled N-PAP parts that include front trunnion, barrel, gas block, exc. listed.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by WVKalashnikov; 12-06-2017 at 10:20 PM.
WVKalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #22
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

1 mm receivers are not new to Zastava firearms. The oldet pattern M70AB1 and the first pattetn M70B1 were 1 mm receivers.
Some thought that the change to 1.5 mm and bulged trunnion was due to grenade launching stress on the receiver. Dunno?
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #23
csphar54r

Do you guys think all those pap kits were cut up because of too many rifle grenades?
Old 12-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #24
mishaco
Veteran Member

I never said the 1.0mm receiver was new to Zastava.
I said that in 2013, they sent over their first semi-auto 1.0mm receivers. Semis made to meet BATF requirements here. As far as I know, these were the first of their kind, first of this exact variant I mean.

If you check the video, I say in the description that the NPAP-DF is a semi version of the M70AB1. Also in it, i say the M70AB1 was a thing for a long time, as was the M92.

So with full autos no, nothing new. Just it seems like perhaps just maybe that first batch or two of the semi NPAPs might be the source of many of the reported lemons?

And yep, i remember those cut up NPAPs from Apex. That was always odd and a mystery to me too.
If they had been imported as kits, then their barrels would have had to have been cut up or drilled through.
The fact the barrels were fully intact tells that these once came in as complete, working rifles.

Why Century cut them up? They have never said.
Good thought though. Would be interesting if true. Also means Century knows there was a bad batch and decided not to inform anyone.
And if that is true, if they had NPAPs with such questionable receivers that they cut them up rather than sell them, well that just tanks any credibility they might have left regarding their other products...oh say the RAS47.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #25
csphar54r

Century cut those up? Damn, they must have been bad. I remember photos of those "kits" not long ago. Many were 1mm under folders if I remember correctly. I guess century cares more about axis pin hole integrity than trunnions and headspace? Who knows? I remember a time when a person could buy a nice ak from a dealer. Now all I see people buy is ras47. Your right Misha, at least paps don't blow up in people's eyes.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #26
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Replacing the recoil spring is a must, mine was 1.5 inches shorter then a regular power non worn out spring out of the box.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #27
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

I went with the DF.... Because, Well, its an under folder, and it was a minimal investment. Under folders are nice to have as a "just because" gun, and the price tag is reasonable. dropping over $1000 on a SAM7UF, nah... I am good. The NPDF is one of the better finished AKs I have seen.
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #28
CrAKker

AKaholic #: 190376

So far, my DF has been excellent. Mine seems to have a cast gas block, but has been an excellent shooter and flawless functionally. 12xxx serial range from Atlantic Fireaems. Only 140 rounds thus far, but zero malfunctions as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #29
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphar54r View Post
Do you guys think all those pap kits were cut up because of too many rifle grenades?
The PAP 1mm rifle imports do not have grenade launching capability.

Only the old AP M70 model rifles had that capability.

Last edited by AKBLUE; 12-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #30
csphar54r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsmart View Post
I went with the DF.... Because, Well, its an under folder, and it was a minimal investment. Under folders are nice to have as a "just because" gun, and the price tag is reasonable. dropping over $1000 on a SAM7UF, nah... I am good. The NPDF is one of the better finished AKs I have seen.
I did drop over 1k on a Sam7uf. It's great. I haven't put 1 round through it. In order to prevent future problems with it should I....?

A. Lube it every 20 rounds with organic lube?
B. Shoot only ak files approved ammunition?
C. Not dump mags? Really?!?!
D. Buy an npap-uf instead and blame it on lack of maintainance and poor ammo?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #31
mishaco
Veteran Member

I was in the same boat with buying my second DF, why not?

The prices had just come down, it was a late summer inventory clear out sale at one of my distributers and the DFs hadn't been moving great. So i figured why not?
The price was low enough, that it wasn't one of those things I really needed to think about and budget for. Figured if i regreted it later, I could get my money back out of it easily enough.
I had just converted my M92 pistol into a carbine with one of those Apex Zastava stocks, so I guess I was in an underfolder mood too.

For those of us who lived through and tried to buy AKs/ARs during the '94 AWB; it kind of feels like giving the anti-gunners the middle finger everytime we buy a rifle with a folding buttstock hehehe.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 AM   #32
Maxxsmart

AKaholic #: 193820

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphar54r View Post
I did drop over 1k on a Sam7uf. It's great. I haven't put 1 round through it. In order to prevent future problems with it should I....?

A. Lube it every 20 rounds with organic lube?
B. Shoot only ak files approved ammunition?
C. Not dump mags? Really?!?!
D. Buy an npap-uf instead and blame it on lack of maintainance and poor ammo?
I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking. To be honest, I wanted to get a SAM7UF, but finding one became annoying. I’m sure the SAM7UF is an awesome gun, and I don’t doubt for a fraction of a second that it’s worth having. For me, I don’t plan to put nearly as many rounds trough my NPDF as I do my WASR, Vepr, Or Atlantic WBP. Because I don’t plan to run it as much as my full stock AKs, spending twice as much for a low use gun didn’t add up for me. If it were me, I’d choose option E, and just enjoy it. Dump all the mags your cheek can take, I’m sure SAM can handle it!
Maxxsmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #33
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

I'd disagree with the OP's opinion about it being the best budget AK right now bar none. I'd give that to the newer WASRS if you can get them for $535-$550 like they are right now.

however, I still would pick up a DF if i had money (had to buy a new TV for my business) in a heartbeat (as long as I replaced the recoil spring)
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #34
csphar54r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsmart View Post
Iím not exactly sure what youíre asking. To be honest, I wanted to get a SAM7UF, but finding one became annoying. Iím sure the SAM7UF is an awesome gun, and I donít doubt for a fraction of a second that itís worth having. For me, I donít plan to put nearly as many rounds trough my NPDF as I do my WASR, Vepr, Or Atlantic WBP. Because I donít plan to run it as much as my full stock AKs, spending twice as much for a low use gun didnít add up for me. If it were me, Iíd choose option E, and just enjoy it. Dump all the mags your cheek can take, Iím sure SAM can handle it!
Yea I hear yeah, uf stocks suck imo as well. The stock option was not E tho. This is very important to people I've noticed. I'm tired of being asked if there magpul ras was a good purchase at $800 after they bought it. They don't plan to run it either cuz lubrication issues. It gives me heartburn. Century won the war
Old 12-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #35
mishaco
Veteran Member

Century has won nothing. If they had, they'd actually be turning a respectable profit this year rather than just keeping their head above water...barely.