Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
MikieG

AKaholic #: 195578
Default C39V2

Firstly, this is my very first AK. I watched Sootch00 and Rob and Tim and Yager and list goes on and on, test theirs. After 4 years of awesome reviews, i spent $922 on one. The morning i bought mine, i spoke to Wes at century for one hour about the development of the rifle before making my decision. He said the rifle at this stage is sound. Then 1 week after, the disaster video.
So i immediately began to try to contact Century about the revelations. Took me until today to get Wes back on the phone. We spoke at length about the video. He pointed out that after 100k rifles, these two were the first of this failure.
He also said that early last year, their engineers were testing rifles (which is an ongoing program) where they began to see this issue. At that point the mfg and heat treat process and specs were changed to address this. He also pointed out that most rifles will NEVER see this amount of ammo in 100 years. But, to address the problem, they took measures.
So if you have c39 as old as Tims and Robs, and you are wealthy enuf to put that much ammo thru them, you may see this issue. If you are looking to shoot thousands and thousands, you need the new rifle.
He also pointed out that this issue was found in their engineering R&D department a year ago and as of right now, they have never seen it in rifles in the wild. Not even from Tim and Rob. So the question is, why did Rob and Tim not contact Century? Wes said that Cenrury engineers would be interested in getting the rifles back for examination as the C39 program is constantly monitored.
Now for what i know on my rifle. At 280 rds, i have even wear on BOTH bolt lug faces. The reciever shows no wear. Accuracy with Tula showed my C39v2 shooting tighter groups than my AR both shooting exact same Tula.
I am looking to aquire another AK, imported set up exactly like my V2 for side by side testing.
I am interested in comments from other C39 owners with pics and real experience to share. I remember when Norinco products like 1911 and M14s were said to be soft and poor heat treat by their competition. Today 20 or 30 years later those very guns are still shooting and are up in value. Ever their AKs.
I am curious if this C39v2 will enjoy the same bitter sweet reputation in the future?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieG View Post
Firstly, this is my very first AK. I watched Sootch00 and Rob and Tim and Yager and list goes on and on, test theirs. After 4 years of awesome reviews, i spent $922 on one. The morning i bought mine, i spoke to Wes at century for one hour about the development of the rifle before making my decision. He said the rifle at this stage is sound. Then 1 week after, the disaster video.
So i immediately began to try to contact Century about the revelations. Took me until today to get Wes back on the phone. We spoke at length about the video. He pointed out that after 100k rifles, these two were the first of this failure.
He also said that early last year, their engineers were testing rifles (which is an ongoing program) where they began to see this issue. At that point the mfg and heat treat process and specs were changed to address this. He also pointed out that most rifles will NEVER see this amount of ammo in 100 years. But, to address the problem, they took measures.
So if you have c39 as old as Tims and Robs, and you are wealthy enuf to put that much ammo thru them, you may see this issue. If you are looking to shoot thousands and thousands, you need the new rifle.
He also pointed out that this issue was found in their engineering R&D department a year ago and as of right now, they have never seen it in rifles in the wild. Not even from Tim and Rob. So the question is, why did Rob and Tim not contact Century? Wes said that Cenrury engineers would be interested in getting the rifles back for examination as the C39 program is constantly monitored.
Now for what i know on my rifle. At 280 rds, i have even wear on BOTH bolt lug faces. The reciever shows no wear. Accuracy with Tula showed my C39v2 shooting tighter groups than my AR both shooting exact same Tula.
I am looking to aquire another AK, imported set up exactly like my V2 for side by side testing.
I am interested in comments from other C39 owners with pics and real experience to share. I remember when Norinco products like 1911 and M14s were said to be soft and poor heat treat by their competition. Today 20 or 30 years later those very guns are still shooting and are up in value. Ever their AKs.
I am curious if this C39v2 will enjoy the same bitter sweet reputation in the future?
You should REALLY have read the other threads here before posting this. I'm being nice about it. Prepare for a shitstorm. The short version? You got taken for a ride, a very very painful one.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
wormraper

AKaholic #: 192990

In before the shit storm that will ensue
Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

In on epic thread
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

"Jim Acosta is a faggot."
Donald J. Trump
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Idratherbapickle

AKaholic #: 193120

I don't own a C39 and never will. You already overpaid, since you can get a c39 at a lot of places for mid 6's, and what you spent 922 on is a shit rifle. I just picked up a Russian Saiga with rear conversion for 800 and people still can find them cheaper. If I were you I would cut my loss as a learning curve and sell it. Take the money you make and buy a WASR or NPAP. If you decide you like AK's after that, buy a better one like something thats banned.

Don't shoot your C39 anymore just sell it. The loss will sting a little, but you'll get over it and be much happier in the long run.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
You should REALLY have read the other threads here before posting this. I'm being nice about it. Prepare for a shitstorm. The short version? You got taken for a ride, a very very painful one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
In before the shit storm that will ensue
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawny View Post
In on epic thread
Old 02-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
pre1989
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 175922

922 ..Are you out of your mind ? For that much you can get a SLR95 maybe a SLR93 or other proper ak

Century ( and IO ) are like that frat boy who tells you how much he loves you and will take care of you ..When all he really wants to do is fuck you ..

Sorry but I dont care what they state Century and IO any thing they make ( not import ) will be bad junk ..
Old 02-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

Opie, I'm going to type this as soberly as possible. You've come to the wrong place. If you delete this thread quickly enough, in a few weeks no one will will remember that you have that gun. Just don't ever bring it up again. Just pretend that you don't have it. Ask as many questions about other guns as you want, but don't ever bring that one up again.
Sincerely,
Brawny
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

"Jim Acosta is a faggot."
Donald J. Trump
Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
daprojectturtle

AKaholic #: 183617

^^^ I did that once and you know what it worked

Holy shit is this is a pre-valentine day massacre or a way too early April fools day joke??
Old 02-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
922 ..Are you out of your mind ? For that much you can get a SLR95 maybe a SLR93 or other proper ak

Century ( and IO ) are like that frat boy who tells you how much he loves you and will take care of you ..When all he really wants to do is fuck you ..

Sorry but I dont care what they state Century and IO any thing they make ( not import ) will be bad junk ..
. . but

. . . . but

. . . . . . but

The nice man at Century told him it was the bestest gun evar . . . . .
Old 02-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
wormraper

the fact that he paid almost a GRAND for a Century built POS is even more heart wrenching. Had he jumped on it for $500, it would be a learning experience, $922? That guy saw him coming and going

and that he fell for the marketing hype as WELL as those two shills, Sootch and Yeager (both bought and paid for for years)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #12
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member

AKaholic #: 188133

I would not trust anything said by anyone at century. Their one and only job is to sell rifles to people who don't know better. Scotch and Yeager are both PAID BY CENTURY to promote their sub standard trash. Tim approached the testing nonchalantly and lazily in his first video, and has paid a hefty price for his carelessness. Having to apologize profusely here and other places. Robski has never endorsed the c39 and never will.

The problem seems to be the metal itself, being recycled shit metal from Korea, which is only milled and assembled in USA. No amount.of heat treating will fix this problem.

I'm not wealthy, but every time I go to the range, I shoot about 500 rounds. If I only go every other month, that would give the c39 a life expectancy of about a year. Century's target market is people who don't shoot, and are looking for a pretty example to show off.

It's kinda like the jeep liberty. They ride off the jeep name and it's reputation for go anywhere ruggedness, but in reality most liberty buyers will never take it on a serious trail where it's limitations will be evident. Their target market is people who just want to own a jeep to have one. Understand?

You have a x39 ar? Cool, which one. I have the ks47, expected great things as far as accuracy, but in the end my OPAP shoots circles around it.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #13
wormraper

and you brought up a good point Extra Medium. Not many of us are really HARDCORE shooters, but even at 250 rounds a session (pretty average for many of us) we would get to 5,000 rounds in about 2 years.... the fact that century scoffs a piddly 5,000 round count (my base AR is nearing 30,000 rounds I believe) is guffaw inducing
Old 02-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Fjordforder
Indestructible, not invulnerable!

AKaholic #: 175530

Y i k e s !

THE ENTIRE KIM DYNASTY IS A LONG, LONG LINE OF PUNK ASS BITCHES

Be the Mutant DEVO wants you to be!

7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x51, 7.62x54r, 5.56x45, 12x76, 9x19, .22WMR, 7.5x54
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
and you brought up a good point Extra Medium. Not many of us are really HARDCORE shooters, but even at 250 rounds a session (pretty average for many of us) we would get to 5,000 rounds in about 2 years.... the fact that century scoffs a piddly 5,000 round count (my base AR is nearing 30,000 rounds I believe) is guffaw inducing
Thanks. OPAP is sitting somewhere around 4-5k rounds. I don't really count them but the internals are still pristine. I'd be willing to bet it shows less wear than OPs c39. Only trouble it gave me was tail peening, but taking the bumps off the g2 hammer fixed that in about 5 minutes. It's by far, my favorite. I wouldn't trade it for a vepr or anything else. It will still be running long after I'm dead and gone.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #17
OnTop

AKaholic #: 155735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordforder View Post
Y i k e s !
X100

OT
Old 02-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #18
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Quote:
After 4 years of awesome reviews.
95% of youtube channels are paid shills, they are no different then infomercials.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
I don't own a C39 and never will. You already overpaid, since you can get a c39 at a lot of places for mid 6's, and what you spent 922 on is a shit rifle. I just picked up a Russian Saiga with rear conversion for 800 and people still can find them cheaper. If I were you I would cut my loss as a learning curve and sell it. Take the money you make and buy a WASR or NPAP. If you decide you like AK's after that, buy a better one like something thats banned.

Don't shoot your C39 anymore just sell it. The loss will sting a little, but you'll get over it and be much happier in the long run.
This is sound advice.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

When I think of what other AK’s you could have bought for $900 or less I cringe. Why not two Wasr’s?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

Mods can we please get a permaban on any future C39V threads and stop inanity posts from minds of mush like the OP has?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #22
S094
100 series

AKaholic #: 163446

Oh boy here we go again
"WE need a foreign company to move to the USA and manufacture AKs domestically. And dont say Kalashnikov USA because waiting for them to produce anything other than a shotgun or a 9mm is like asking a wife of 30 yrs to have sex daily....wont happen."
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
FalseFlagOps

AKaholic #: 194141

I remember when I had my first beer. I read a shit ton before first ak and damn near stalked this site- went with a Vepr. The c39v2 is not even in the same league and you can buy and convert a vepr for that price still as of 2018. Why is this still being discussed?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
eaglemercenary
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 195251

Regarding:

"He also pointed out that this issue was found in their engineering R&D department a year ago and as of right now, they have never seen it in rifles in the wild. Not even from Tim and Rob. So the question is, why did Rob and Tim not contact Century? Wes said that Cenrury engineers would be interested in getting the rifles back for examination as the C39 program is constantly monitored."

Rob Ski tests all rifles with the same variables and to the same standard as evidenced by his videos and reports the results. He has no obligation to contact Century.

In fact doing so would alter his objectivity. Should he then contact every manufacturer?

As Rob often says regarding his results "it is what it is".
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."

- Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #25
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

There are a lot of people on this forum that have bought the C39's & C39v2's based on internet info. The AK files and Rob are only two sources in the midst of hundreds on the internet that claim expertise with respect to Kalashnikovs.
To the unsuspecting consumer, all of the other sources can drown out the legitimate ones.

I fell for this once. And after about 2K rounds on my C39v2 I noticed enough wear to push me onto the AK Files. Once I found out there was no good option for recourse, I dumped it and haven't looked back.
OP, I highly recommend that you do the same. Sell that sucker to someone locally for $650 while it still looks good and find something better. You're already on the right track by being on the Files. There's a lot of wisdom on here and a lot of data. Read through, learn, and get a different AK.

Cheers and good luck
Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #26
Made in Austria

AKaholic #: 188205

Quote:
Get a RAS47 too. Yaeger shot 35k rounds through all of his. He has about 25 RAS47's if I remember correctly. They still run like a sewing machine. Can't go wrong with them.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #27
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
Get a RAS47 too. Yaeger shot 35k rounds through all of his. He has about 25 RAS47's if I remember correctly. They still run like a sewing machine. Can't go wrong with them.
Sometimes I worry if FNG's might take some of these types of recommendations seriously. Sarcasm is hard on the internet. lol
Old 02-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173263

Quote:
I'm not sure if i should cry or laugh. I'm sorry i have failed you. I take full responsibility for this...
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #29
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

MikieG, promptly sell this $922 liability.
Where are you at exactly in Chicagoland??

Because these rifles and this thread is a ......

AK Files custom search
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #30
Made in Austria

AKaholic #: 188205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa View Post
Sometimes I worry if FNG's might take some of these types of recommendations seriously. Sarcasm is hard on the internet. lol
It was not intended as sarcasm. There is so much information easily available about these rifles. It's been proven over and over again that these rifles are junk. If someone still buys it, then they truly deserve it. Heck, they don't even know where to look for critical wear. It's the perfect gun for them. I'd sell them a Jimenez blow back handgun too for $589.

Last edited by Made in Austria; 02-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #31
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
I'm not sure if i should cry or laugh. I'm sorry i have failed you. I take full responsibility for this...
Not your fault Rob. You can't hold everybody's hand 24/7. But $922 for a century??? I may need 911!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #32
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

Damn, Iím all out of turf polish and low on popcorn to boot.

As for the C39, total piece of shit.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #33
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

FAIL

Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #34
MikieG

AKaholic #: 195578

Id like to put this as nicely as i can. I asked for input and pics from actual C39 owners. So far i have recieved responses and insults from guys with no experience with the rifles. Regurgitated opinions based on common belief is as useful as virgins sitting around talking about sex.
Now onto the money. The rifle was $849 at Academy before tax. This is a cheap rifle in my book. I will play with it until it dies or i get bored. In the last 30 years i have found that EVERYTHING has a breaking point. Some just faster than others. This is an AK. I have no problem throwing it in the trash. Now if it were a SCAR or REPR, that would have me attention. But accuracy gets boring. So i wil throw 5 or 6 grand into the AK to gain REAL EXPERIENCE, to base an opinion that will have some real value to it.
I realize there are "paid shills". Its called advertising. I also realize that there are folks working on other agendas as well.So my question still stands. Why have Rob and Tim not contacted the mfg?
You guys are like children. My daddy can beat up your daddy bull shit. I am not in any camp here. I just want to see what real owners are finding. With 100k being sold, i am sure there are many folks here who have these.
So again. If you own one of these, feel free to post pics and experience.
If you post nothing useful or more bs, i will assume you have a reading comprehension problem.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Azwell

AKaholic #: 194293

Quote:
So the question is, why did Rob and Tim not contact Century?
The real question is, why hasn't Century reached out to Rob and Tim to inspect the tested rifles? They are definitely aware of the testing/issues.

Oh yeah, that's right, they don't give a shit.
Closed Thread