Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Bertman

AKaholic #: 183010
Default SLR107FR VS 107F

As the title says is there a general preference of one over the other? I picked up a 107F for 500 bucks before realizing it had no rail. I've wondered why they didnt make them fold to the other side so you wouldn't have to remove your railed optic but I guess thats a non issue for me.
Bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

You picked it up for $500, who cares lol. Even if you paid a gunsmith to put a rail on it you're way ahead of the game. The alternative SLR-107FR is going for $1200 new, as is being discussed in the recent thread on them being back in stock.
But yes, everyone always prefers the railed versions of rifles over the non-railed versions. Unless you're looking to build up some sort of period correct clone or something.
Now queue all the jagoffs that are gonna come in here and say they like the non-railed versions better just because I said that.... But honestly you almost never hear anyone say "I wish it didn't have a rail on it" but you always hear people bitching about it not having a rail. Leaving aside the fact Russians are retarded and make wrong side folding rifles.
But then of course you will have Nails come in and say that the rifles are never meant to be folded while in use aside from on transports to and from the battlefield so its really a moot point.
And that's the AKfiles in a nutshell. The End.

Last edited by SuperTacOperator44; 09-07-2018 at 12:07 AM.
SuperTacOperator44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 AM   #3
PolyMAK

AKaholic #: 194684

^^^^^ LMAO.......Yep.
PolyMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
drmoose

AKaholic #: 156117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
You picked it up for $500, who cares lol. Even if you paid a gunsmith to put a rail on it you're way ahead of the game. The alternative SLR-107FR is going for $1200 new, as is being discussed in the recent thread on them being back in stock.
But yes, everyone always prefers the railed versions of rifles over the non-railed versions. Unless you're looking to build up some sort of period correct clone or something.
Now queue all the jagoffs that are gonna come in here and say they like the non-railed versions better just because I said that.... But honestly you almost never hear anyone say "I wish it didn't have a rail on it" but you always hear people bitching about it not having a rail. Leaving aside the fact Russians are retarded and make wrong side folding rifles.
But then of course you will have Nails come in and say that the rifles are never meant to be folded while in use aside from on transports to and from the battlefield so its really a moot point.
Haha, you perfectly summed up many of the discussions on here.
drmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

I'm weird. Unless I'm going for period correct, I always want a rail BUT have zero intention of ever putting an optic, even a red dot, on any of them lol.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Sell it for $1000 and pick up a WASR that has a rail and ammo and mags and stuff

You could do a Master Mount as well, that’s the route I’d go actually
Old 09-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman View Post
As the title says is there a general preference of one over the other? I picked up a 107F for 500 bucks before realizing it had no rail. I've wondered why they didnt make them fold to the other side so you wouldn't have to remove your railed optic but I guess thats a non issue for me.
I got Texas railed cover for mine 106F which is without rail as well and it is perfect for red dot and magnifier combo. Got another one for Sam7UF, will install soon. Great product!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #8
Bertman

AKaholic #: 183010

I'm running a TWS dogleg rail with a comp m4 on my SLR101s and really like it. It's very secure and returns to zero every time i close the dust cover
Bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
ncsaiga12

AKaholic #: 155617

I have a 107f that I bought around 8-9 years ago and paid $800 then for it. I’ve since put an ultimak on it and a bushnell TRS-25 and it’s been working great for years.
ncsaiga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
firejunkie
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 161

I picked up an SLR106F and added a railed top cover. Fold the stock with the optic attached.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
wayne in boca

AKaholic #: 178699

I have a 107F,and bought a Master Mount for it.Discovered that it wouldn't fold with the mount on,even without an optical mount,so I removed it and installed it on a fixed stock AK74.I would rather have folding capability than optics on the AK47,so I have not changed it since then.I did put an adjustable rear sight I got from K-var on her,and like it just fine.
wayne in boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
GypsyDanger
"My hero." -Spiderman

AKaholic #: 179245

I omitted the side rail when building my rifle because I personally prefer ultimaks and attero arms bravos on the side folders.

Plus, I won't have to worry about the side rail chopping up my plate carrier and sexually assaulting my man boobs when I do the more "unorthodox" shooting positions in my basement. Smell me?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #13
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
Nyet. All stocks should fold to the left side. Right side and underfolding stocks are abominations, but still better than fixed stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I'm weird. Unless I'm going for period correct, I always want a rail BUT have zero intention of ever putting an optic, even a red dot, on any of them lol.
Same here. One day I'm sure I'll meed them.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
Jagick
Sieg Zeon!
Contributor

AKaholic #: 181226

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
underfolding stocks are abominations
Them's fightin' words.

Quote:
but still better than fixed stocks.
THEM'S DOUBLE FIGHTIN' WORDS!
Jagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagick View Post
Them's fightin' words.

THEM'S DOUBLE FIGHTIN' WORDS!
I aim to please.

I've been called a snob when it comes to these things. Every single AK I own, whether built or bought, has a folding stock, a side rail, and is chambered in 5.45. No ifs ands or buts about it.

While my preference is left side folding stocks, I do have 2 right side folding stocks, and I do have an underfolder planned.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка • Булка • Курва • Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman View Post
I picked up a 107F for 500 bucks before realizing it had no rail.
You got a great deal.

Don't sweat the BS. Plenty of better sighting options anyways.

A folding stock is merely for more compact transportation of the rifle, if so desired, but does nothing for shooting purposes.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #17
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Quote:

You got a good deal and if you need a rail you can always install a AK Master mount
Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #18
Charlemagne
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 137433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
You got a good deal and if you need a rail you can always install a AK Master mount

The AK Master Mount sounds like a great idea for mounting optics on a fixed stock gun that you might want to convert back to its original configuration in the future. This is definitely the route I would go for mounting an optic on a Type 56 Spiker. On the other hand not being able to fold the stock completely would nix this mount for me on a gun side folder the SLR107F. If it were my gun I would pay to have a gunsmith install the FR rail.

P.S. A lot of us would have jumped on that SLR107F for $500 even knowing it did not have a rail!

Last edited by Charlemagne; 09-17-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #19
mojoracing

AKaholic #: 196374

Quote:
I aim to please.

I've been called a snob when it comes to these things. Every single AK I own, whether built or bought, has a folding stock, a side rail, and is chambered in 5.45. No ifs ands or buts about it.

While my preference is left side folding stocks, I do have 2 right side folding stocks, and I do have an underfolder planned.
Why just the girly man caliber? Time to move up to a real battle rifle! Just joshin ya. Love my underfolders!
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #20
AdamP123
((((-(-(-_-)-)-))))

AKaholic #: 154955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post

Plenty of better sighting options anyways.
Other options? Yes. Better options? Not really. Please elaborate.

Я люблю котов! У меня нет кота, но они очаровательны. Я люблю разговаривать с людьми в парке о своих домашних кошках. Кошки могут быть настолько привередливыми! Вы когда-нибудь задумывались что кошки думают? Много приветствий! Адам.
AdamP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #21
Zemlyak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
The AK Master Mount sounds like a great idea for mounting optics on a fixed stock gun that you might want to convert back to its original configuration in the future. This is definitely the route I would go for mounting an optic on a Type 56 Spiker. On the other hand not being able to fold the stock completely would nix this mount for me on a gun side folder the SLR107F. If it were my gun I would pay to have a gunsmith install the FR rail.

P.S. A lot of us would have jumped on that SLR107F for $500 even knowing it did not have a rail!
Texas railed cover is way better solution, installs quick and holding optics and zero well. Mine holds red dot with magnifier on Slr106 very well. Also latest model made very well, I got another one for my SAM7UF, installed pretty good on milled AK as well.
Master Mount could cause deformation on stamped receiver if you screw it tight, and if you don’t your optics will jump up and down with this mount. It might be good on milled AK only.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 09-18-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Zemlyak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
RUSSIAN AK FAN
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176305

Don’t sweat the side rail, get a Zenit dust cover.
RUSSIAN AK FAN is online now   Reply With Quote